PDA

View Full Version : Back to Uni What to Study?

dombay
February 20th, 2009, 07:06
So right yea my undergraduate degree in religion and German isn't going to get me very far is it?

And my postgrad qualification in teaching (left for JET someway through but could finish it in 6 months) no thanks hey. Teaching makes normal dom into pathetic alcoholic dom.

So I have to go back to uni don't I?

My sister started doing her MBA then got the shits with that and started an law qualification. She and my mum and dad think I should do that. I'm tempted still to try for something businessy because I think all lawyers are blood sucking scumbags but they're well paid blood sucking scumbags.

Long term goal is to wake up opposite Repulse Bay every morning and go drinking in wine bars and Shangrilas.

What to study then?

What are you off to study then and why?

AliDimayev
February 20th, 2009, 07:31
Well. I am in a similary boat if I want to go back. I have a halfway decent job waiting for after JET. But if I were to go back to school, there is almost no way I could get a higher degree in ChemE or Math. Very hard stuff. Administartion, Business may be something. I am not sure.

Urthona
February 21st, 2009, 13:07
If I were you, I would choose a subject that interests me. If you study something for the goal of making money or something else, there is a good chance you'll be miserable.

In my case, I'm planning on a year in the Middle East to bring up my Arabic and then head to grad school to focus on early Caliphate history with the eventual goal of becoming a prof.

verity359
February 23rd, 2009, 12:44
I majored in English and am going back to get a teaching license, but doing JET has made me start to wonder about maybe getting a Master's in International Relations... maybe work for the UN eventually or Red Cross or something like that. As a paper-pusher, I mean. I dunno if that's realistic, though.

dombay
February 23rd, 2009, 19:16
If I were you, I would choose a subject that interests me. If you study something for the goal of making money or something else, there is a good chance you'll be miserable.

In my case, I'm planning on a year in the Middle East to bring up my Arabic and then head to grad school to focus on early Caliphate history with the eventual goal of becoming a prof.

I've already got one of those but I'm quite fond of having a job so I need a professional degree.

I mean I could teach but I'm well over it.

Wakatta
February 23rd, 2009, 20:17
I majored in English and am going back to get a teaching license, but doing JET has made me start to wonder about maybe getting a Master's in International Relations... maybe work for the UN eventually or Red Cross or something like that. As a paper-pusher, I mean. I dunno if that's realistic, though.

I majored in IR, and my impression was that the upper-level degrees mostly end up doing academic study. I -guess- that could lead to a position there. Personally, though, I'd recommend going for law or something, maybe? Some sort of "real" skill? (I'm admittedly kind of a self-hating liberal arts major.)

Saitaman
February 23rd, 2009, 23:12
I am having the same dilemma of should I study; I may do a dual degree.

D-Lux
February 24th, 2009, 10:49
I majored in IR, and my impression was that the upper-level degrees mostly end up doing academic study. I -guess- that could lead to a position there.

There are plenty of professional terminal masters programs in IR for people who want to work outside academia. Foreign Policy just released their latest program rankings (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4685&page=1), in fact. But any APSIA member school (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Association_of_Professional_Schools_of_International_Affairs) is a good choice.

dombay
February 24th, 2009, 12:38
I realised while my mind was wandering how unkind what I said above might seem. Wasn't meant to be :(

Dynamis
March 19th, 2009, 22:10
I did an MSc in Information Security when I came back, and it worked out pretty well. Very business and industry focused course. Hardly anyone went on to do a PhD, most people just went out to get good consulting type jobs.

wicket
March 20th, 2009, 06:54
dombay, if you've been put off teaching based on your JET experience, you're not giving it a chance.
real teaching and being an ALT are very very different. both enjoyable (for me), but real teaching, with your own classes, being able to have a real impact on decision-making, taking on positions of responsibility (e.g. head of department, head of year, whatever), going on/organising camps/excursions/incursions definitely offers more job satisfaction in the long run.
o'course, it's much harder work with much longer hours, too....

Ini
March 20th, 2009, 17:48
yes, and one day we can all be forty years old living in the midlands in rented accommodation and expecting a baby we cant possibly afford to provide for adequately. At least you went on a few school excursions, I bet that was fun......

wicket
March 22nd, 2009, 08:10
Interesting... on many levels.
1 - how could ini possibly know what kind of savings and investments I have? We rent here because we already own in Australia; any other funds we have are our business, but suffice to say we were able to come to the UK indefinitely knowing we would be on one wage, and not be worried about it.
2 - "adequately" is such a subjective term. Since I have no intention of clothing my kid in Baby Gap shit or sending them off to some posh school simply for the snob value, I reckon we'll be OK.
3 - I always thought ini was from the UK. But he doesn't know that Suffolk isn't in the Midlands?

lains
March 23rd, 2009, 13:29
Dombay how about something like communications? Ads/marketing/PR?media etc etc.
It is pretty interesting, will land you a potentially wanky job which involves lots of long lunches and booze, and in terms of the actual work it might be up your alley?
Under the field of media you might end up working on campaigns for something to do with German/religion/teaching/Asia...

dombay
March 23rd, 2009, 16:53
Dombay how about something like communications? Ads/marketing/PR?media etc etc.
It is pretty interesting, will land you a potentially wanky job which involves lots of long lunches and booze, and in terms of the actual work it might be up your alley?
Under the field of media you might end up working on campaigns for something to do with German/religion/teaching/Asia...

Heh wanky lack of work sounds fabulous. I am looking for something where I can use language skills as well. I was looking at, for example, international marketing - but that sounds like the height of worklessness and I need to pitch it between that and actually able to get a job.

lains
March 24th, 2009, 10:16
Yeah thats the one scary thing about media and communications, parts of it are always in trouble around recession time (ie. ads)

But - you are looking to do the study first right, so comms/marketing could still be a good choice, and then when it gets time to get a job, search for international companies.
In my old agency, one of our clients was Shiseido and obviously the marketing team all spoke Japanese (some were Japanese)

Marketing is probably more bankable than advertising, because companies can always cut their ad spend, and the marketing team are the ones who come up with interesting tactics in lieu of advertising.

If all else fails you can work for DFS, I hear people must know Japanese to work there.

shibuyadreams
March 25th, 2009, 06:48
how about something like communications? Ads/marketing/PR?media etc etc.

I agree with Lains. Actually, that's exactly what I have my Masters in. And hopefully if i do wind up in JET, that the international experience will play a positive role in my future career in the Marketing/PR world.