PDA

View Full Version : Reading practice anyone?

Jill
February 20th, 2009, 22:07
Now that third term has set in and classes have grown scarce for many of us, how about a bit of reading practice? :roll:

I don't know if anyone remembers N-Juku, but I've started up something similar for my own practice: a blog of short daily readings in Japanese. The readings are all short blurbs from around the interwebs and I've provided vocabulary lists and sample translations as well. It may be a bit much for those below an intermediate level, but feel free to come take a gander: http://jillnonaka.wordpress.com (http://jillnonaka.wordpress.com/)

If you're planning to take 1Q or 2Q this summer or winter, and have been skivving off like me, come get your read on. ;)

esuta
February 28th, 2009, 05:20
Nice.

Does anyone by any chance know of easier reading practice? Maybe 3Q or 4Q?

AliDimayev
February 28th, 2009, 07:24
Also. Get a newspaper or book. Get a vocab dictionary, kanji dictionary, grammar dicitonary and get readying. When you come across somethig you dont know, look it up and write it down and etudier etudier etudier.

Avocado
February 28th, 2009, 08:22
I tried doing that with Harry Potter a few months ago, but by page eight there were over 60 words on my shiranai vocab list and it was frustrating as hell. But lately I tried reading a bit further on in the book and understood everything, so I don't know what that's about.

Eira
February 28th, 2009, 08:59
My favorite reading practice is 窓際のトットちゃん (Madogiwa no Tottochan). It's really cute, has romaji for the kanji, and the grammar isn't too difficult. I think if you had a decent vocab level you could get by without too much difficulty at 3kyu level, but you'd be pushing it at 4kyu.

It's divided into mini stories that flow together, each ranging from ~2 pages to 10 or so. They're all about a little girl, Tottochan, who grew up in Tokyo some decades ago. I think the author has a TV show (Tetsuko's Corner or something like that?), but I found her to be annoying... I would still suggest the book for someone with an intermediate to semi-advanced reading level, though.

Jcubed
February 28th, 2009, 10:43
I use the Unicom 読解 books for formal practice when I have free time at work. I like the books for 2kyuu and the one I'm using now for 1kyuu seems good as well.

I'm also reading the Akira manga at home and I'm onto book 3 of 6 now. Reading it probably doesn't help much for passing the 1kyuu in reality but at least I'm reading something in Japanese and enjoying it. Also it's been interesting because it reforces the casual speech I use/hear all the time in writing and for whatever reason even uses kanji for 迄 etc.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for online newspapers? Rather than a quality newspaper, I'd be more interested in something that is relatively easily reading. For example, in English, I'd say USA Today would be easier than the NYT.