PDA

View Full Version : Amity

FiercestCalm
March 5th, 2009, 08:06
Hey there, just wondering if anyone else has got an Amity interview yet. I've got a group interview in DC on April 18th and want a buddy!

hayashirice03
April 9th, 2009, 06:39
I applied! But to the Chicago branch.. D.C. wasn't open :/

alanna
April 9th, 2009, 06:40
I applied too... I have an interview on April 18th... still deciding whether or not I want to go.... any thoughts?

Freyanator
April 9th, 2009, 10:32
This is relevant to my alternate interests.

curtaineater
April 9th, 2009, 13:05
i went to one. i am under a very strong suspicion that they are interviewing people just to keep up with the 'business as usual' mindset, even though there are little to no positions available. they are opening their 73 school this year, each school has 1-3 native speakers, with most only having one, the retention of current hires is above 50% due to the economy and at my interview alone they had 13 people. They say that if they like you then they put you on the list and you get a spot when it opens. There could honestly be hundreds on this list for all we know. And everyone is vying for one of a few dozen spots.

It doesn't seem worth while to me, and because of that conclusion i will not be going to my AEON interview.

FiercestCalm
April 9th, 2009, 13:37
I'm not going now, of course, but it was very expensive to drive there and stay for 2 nights, especially if they have very few positions. AEON told me no, so I wouldn't think my Amity answer would be much different.

curtaineater
April 9th, 2009, 15:13
thats the thing, people are flying or driving from far away to stay in hotels and shit for these interviews. its rather shitty that they drag people on like that.

triumphtr79
April 9th, 2009, 21:01
I applied too... I have an interview on April 18th... still deciding whether or not I want to go.... any thoughts?

i went to one (group interview), i was ready to walk out halfway through but decided to stay since i went all the way to NY for it. i felt bad for the people who paid to fly to NY and get a hotel and probably weren't offered jobs anyway. the whole "cult" thing people say here seems to be true. now i'm definitely against the idea of working for any eikaiwa since AEON is supposedly the best of the bunch. they also repeatedly emphasized they are doing very little hiring so like someone else said above, i think they're just having the group seminars because it's routine.

i'd say go for Interac. i was lucky to get into a seminar/interview in my area because they said they have twice the applicants this year. they even had to add a 2nd date. so right now for me it's Interac or no Japan this year. of course all this is just my $0.02.

p.s. are you going to try for JET again next year? or do you have a Japan or bust mentality?

alanna
April 10th, 2009, 02:07
I'm currently floundering on whether or not to accept the Amity interview... at first I was under the mentality that it couldn't hurt to just go and see what it's about, but given what everyone here has been saying and the fact that it's all the way in DC (I live in Jersey), I think I might just decline.

JET would have been nice (amazing even) if I got accepted, but I'm only 23 and there is always next year's application... for now I think I'll just try to get my Japanese a little stronger and see where it takes me.

triumphtr79
April 10th, 2009, 02:47
I'm currently floundering on whether or not to accept the Amity interview... at first I was under the mentality that it couldn't hurt to just go and see what it's about, but given what everyone here has been saying and the fact that it's all the way in DC (I live in Jersey), I think I might just decline.

JET would have been nice (amazing even) if I got accepted, but I'm only 23 and there is always next year's application... for now I think I'll just try to get my Japanese a little stronger and see where it takes me.

well i'm a few years older so i kinda have a now or never mentality. i think i'm gonna get a TEFL, take the JLPT and get some classroom teaching and see what I can get with that.

i personally think you're better off staying away from Amity/AEON, but it's your choice. Good luck.

alanna
April 10th, 2009, 04:22
well i'm a few years older so i kinda have a now or never mentality. i think i'm gonna get a TEFL, take the JLPT and get some classroom teaching and see what I can get with that.

i personally think you're better off staying away from Amity/AEON, but it's your choice. Good luck.

Thanks, I appreciate it... and yeah, I'm going to decline my interview with Amity, it doesn't seem worth it for the kind of experience I am looking to gain.

...besides, the next JET application is only 6 months away! :p

For now I'm just going to work on my Japanese and making myself a stronger candidate for next year, and if next year's application doesn't seem to pan out for me at least I can say I gave it my best shot.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do too.

Saitaman
April 10th, 2009, 22:00
It doesnt hurt to go to the interview. See things for yourself, if you don't like what you see, you say no. Unless it is 500 miles away or something.

shibuyadreams
April 11th, 2009, 02:11
It doesnt hurt to go to the interview. See things for yourself, if you don't like what you see, you say no. Unless it is 500 miles away or something.

exactly - i figure i'll check out AEON and Interac since they're both here in NY, and if i decide they're not worth following through with - the only thing i lost was a few hours of my time and $12 RT train fare.

alanna
April 11th, 2009, 10:01
shib-- did you apply to aeon yet? will you be at the interview next week? it would be nice to know someone there! (especially if it'll be boring :P)

triumphtr79
April 11th, 2009, 10:39
for anyone going in NY, basically they lock you in a room for a while and make you watch some shoddy VHS tapes. then you do skits taking turns with this annoying guy and your fellow applicants saying "what's the matter?" then the guy says "ok, more enthusiasm and gestures!!" and then "i can't seem to find my keys!"

*shudders*

FiercestCalm
April 11th, 2009, 11:16
I went to the session in Atlanta, and it wasn't like that. There were 2 recruiters, who were both friendly. There was a long boring info session, yes, but they tried to keep it at least a little interesting.

The uncomfortable part came for me in the personal interview. I gave my sample lesson and he criticized me a lot, telling me that even though I think I'm smiling I'm not and I don't appear friendly or sympathetic at all. I felt pretty cut down, and they didn't accept me, so apparently I wasn't what they were looking for.

So I agree with saitaman, go to the interview and see how you feel about it, unless the price is prohibitive.

triumphtr79
April 11th, 2009, 12:06
well even though it was definitely not for me i don't want to discourage anyone who might be interested from going. but if you need to spend more than $100 to do so i say forget it since they are doing very limited hiring. of course you can also make a small vacation out of it and do other things in the city to justify the costs if you don't get a job offer.

Neb
April 11th, 2009, 12:45
The fact that these companies are doing very limited recruiting makes me more thankful that I was shortlisted by JET. Actually, I have put this into consideration when thinking up some alternatives if I didn't get accepted, and my final thought was that I'd probably end up going to Korea for a year or something before trying out for Japan again. Although I'd probably have tried to apply to iTTTi (peppy kids club) first...

shibuyadreams
April 11th, 2009, 14:35
shib-- did you apply to aeon yet? will you be at the interview next week? it would be nice to know someone there! (especially if it'll be boring :P)

i think im going to wait more towards june/july to apply actually since i heard they don't really have any positions open til september. in the meantime, just tryin to get my resume out around here in NY and see if i can't find something to try and break into marketing/PR (even if it is just answering phones and fetching starbucks for now.)

curtaineater
April 12th, 2009, 01:19
i think im going to wait more towards june/july to apply actually since i heard they don't really have any positions open til september. in the meantime, just tryin to get my resume out around here in NY and see if i can't find something to try and break into marketing/PR (even if it is just answering phones and fetching starbucks for now.)

dont do that. if you're going to apply do it now. they continually interview and hire, putting accepted applicants on a first-come first-served waiting list. if you wait until then you'll have months worth of people in front of you. if you aiming for september, apply now.

triumphtr79
April 13th, 2009, 02:58
oh!! for anyone applying to AEON in NYC.... the very first thing they're gonna do is ask each one of you "what do you know about AEON?" everyone else had these well prepared answers about how many schools they have etc etc... i was completely caught off guard and said something like "um, they care about people learning english in japan"

so if you wanna make a good first impression i suggest you find some "interesting" fact about them to impress them.....

PunkFelix
May 10th, 2009, 07:31
This thread is a few weeks old but I’ll post my Amity experience anyway.

I was only upgraded last Monday for JET so when Amity offered me an interview in DC on the 18th earlier in the month I was more than willing to accept. First off I recommend avoiding companies like Amity and AEON just because there really was a cult vibe to the whole scene (I swear the female coordinators at the orientation were loyal zombie brides), you'll work more and get paid less and, like others have mentioned before, they really only appear to be hiring en mass but in reality only have a few open positions (running through the motions on AEONs dime).

Anyways, the whole interview process was awkward and long. At the three hour orientation they lectured in detail about contractual obligations, rules and regulations, and showed a short movie about life (your entire existence really) with Amity. I say that because the subjects in the video seemed as robotic at the coordinators. You get to sit next to all the other applicants during orientation as they size you up but really no one has any idea who’s qualified and who’s not. You then take a grammar quiz and get to suck up to Amity on the back as you answer the "why is Amity so great" question. After that you wait in the hotel lobby for a while until they call people in for a group interview. Oh boy Oh boy!

I’ve never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly in all my life... The group acted as Japanese elementary students as we rotated who role played the teacher. Being as everyone was competition, they all (well maybe just a few in my group) gave the teacher shit when they were presenting their sample lesson. This was fine because one could argue that you may have to put up with worse in Japan. Fine, until these pretend Japanese students started doing not so pretend things – like one girl reporting to the coordinator that I had cursed at her when handing out my materials which is something I honestly wouldn’t put past me except for the fact that this girl was not even part of the group when it was my turn to present, she was off to the side preparing for her lesson after mine.

So now on to the personal interview stage. I was lucky enough to be given a personal interview and the first thing to come up was the cursing issue. Surly, I thought to myself, after I explain the situation she will realize the other girl was lying and that I am the perfect candidate for this position... Nope. She told me, like a disappointed mother might, that "even though the children may not understand what you are saying, using foul language is still inappropriate." At that point I gave up. I pushed through the remainder of the interview finding it hard to be enthusiastic. Then, as we were finishing things up, she asked me if I was involved in any other programs that might jeopardize my position with Amity. I know the correct answer was "NO" but I smiled and said "JET" out of spite. She gave me a pretty angry look (like I said, loyal zombie brides) and said Amity would be contacting my in a few weeks with their decision. Two weeks later I received the inevitable rejection email. On the up side, a week after that I was upgraded!

I definitely see how Amity could be an enjoyable experience but still, it wasn’t for me.

cm2jr4
May 10th, 2009, 10:32
This thread is a few weeks old but I’ll post my Amity experience anyway.

I was only upgraded last Monday for JET so when Amity offered me an interview in DC on the 18th earlier in the month I was more than willing to accept. First off I recommend avoiding companies like Amity and AEON just because there really was a cult vibe to the whole scene (I swear the female coordinators at the orientation were loyal zombie brides), you'll work more and get paid less and, like others have mentioned before, they really only appear to be hiring en mass but in reality only have a few open positions (running through the motions on AEONs dime).

Anyways, the whole interview process was awkward and long. At the three hour orientation they lectured in detail about contractual obligations, rules and regulations, and showed a short movie about life (your entire existence really) with Amity. I say that because the subjects in the video seemed as robotic at the coordinators. You get to sit next to all the other applicants during orientation as they size you up but really no one has any idea who’s qualified and who’s not. You then take a grammar quiz and get to suck up to Amity on the back as you answer the "why is Amity so great" question. After that you wait in the hotel lobby for a while until they call people in for a group interview. Oh boy Oh boy!

I’ve never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly in all my life... The group acted as Japanese elementary students as we rotated who role played the teacher. Being as everyone was competition, they all (well maybe just a few in my group) gave the teacher shit when they were presenting their sample lesson. This was fine because one could argue that you may have to put up with worse in Japan. Fine, until these pretend Japanese students started doing not so pretend things – like one girl reporting to the coordinator that I had cursed at her when handing out my materials which is something I honestly wouldn’t put past me except for the fact that this girl was not even part of the group when it was my turn to present, she was off to the side preparing for her lesson after mine.

So now on to the personal interview stage. I was lucky enough to be given a personal interview and the first thing to come up was the cursing issue. Surly, I thought to myself, after I explain the situation she will realize the other girl was lying and that I am the perfect candidate for this position... Nope. She told me, like a disappointed mother might, that "even though the children may not understand what you are saying, using foul language is still inappropriate." At that point I gave up. I pushed through the remainder of the interview finding it hard to be enthusiastic. Then, as we were finishing things up, she asked me if I was involved in any other programs that might jeopardize my position with Amity. I know the correct answer was "NO" but I smiled and said "JET" out of spite. She gave me a pretty angry look (like I said, loyal zombie brides) and said Amity would be contacting my in a few weeks with their decision. Two weeks later I received the inevitable rejection email. On the up side, a week after that I was upgraded!

I definitely see how Amity could be an enjoyable experience but still, it wasn’t for me.

sweet story, congrats

elleohelle
May 10th, 2009, 13:54
It seems like Amity is the best deal $ money wise, but I keep hearing all this stuff about them being cult like. Weird.

PunkFelix
May 10th, 2009, 14:21
It seems like Amity is the best deal $ money wise

Compared to other private programs or JET?

Neb
May 10th, 2009, 14:40
Compared to other private companies. JET is the best there is in Japan in regards to being an ALT or teaching English.. (aside from the individual schools hiring privately, but I think you normally have to be IN Japan to get a chance at that, and probably good jgo as well...)

elleohelle
May 10th, 2009, 14:40
the best non JET program.

curtaineater
May 10th, 2009, 18:20
god, that story is great. its so funny that that dumb girl lied about you swearing just to knock you out of the competition. i met this really cute girl at my interview and flirted around a bit but afterwards we were separated so i didnt get to ask her to bum around the city with me. thats about as eventful as my interview was.

FiercestCalm
May 11th, 2009, 09:20
It seems like Amity is the best deal $ money wise, but I keep hearing all this stuff about them being cult like. Weird.

A lot of people are saying this cult thing, but at least at my AEON interview I didn't get that vibe. Yes, they are giving a lot of interviews for very few positions, but other than that they seemed pretty standard. Don't be scared off by the talk - Amity and AEON seem like stable, well-paying Eikawa jobs and good ways to get to Japan.

mteacher80
May 11th, 2009, 09:32
yeah a friend of mine here is working for amity. and she likes how the "re-contracting" works. i dont know exactly, but she started in a 1 year contract and has extended by 3 months twice now. she wants to go home for a while from august, but they said if she commited to another 1 year she could have one month off to visit home and then when she comes back she can transfer to another city or prefecture if she wants and there is a position available. sounds a little confusing, but she loves it.

cvmurrieta
May 11th, 2009, 09:37
I thought it odd that they would only hire outside Japan. I had contacted them a few months ago and was told this.

shibuyadreams
May 11th, 2009, 23:06
I haven't heard back from AEON yet - its been almost a month. Can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

curtaineater
May 12th, 2009, 01:53
its a bad thing.

also, where did you find that avatar!?

FiercestCalm
May 12th, 2009, 02:19
I haven't heard back from AEON yet - its been almost a month. Can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

I think it took about a month for AEON to reply - it was a letter in the mail, not an email or call.

shibuyadreams
May 12th, 2009, 04:01
well i mean, i haven't had an interview with them yet or anything.... so since i haven't heard, do you think that means that they're not going to call me for one then?

shibuyadreams
May 12th, 2009, 04:02
also, where did you find that avatar!?

google images.

FiercestCalm
May 12th, 2009, 05:00
well i mean, i haven't had an interview with them yet or anything.... so since i haven't heard, do you think that means that they're not going to call me for one then?

Hmm... hate to say it, but maybe not?

As everyone else has been saying, AEON and Amity have very few places available this year, so I think it's possible that they're finally cutting down on their recruiting.

shibuyadreams
May 12th, 2009, 05:06
eh alright, that works for now since I'm going to be started my 2nd masters' this summer anyway. I was originally not going to apply to AEON or Interac til later on this year (sept/october), but someone told me that I should do it now so i figured eh, why not? all i have to do is fill out the online app. it's not like it's a big huge process like JET was.

cvmurrieta
May 12th, 2009, 10:00
Yeah, I guess it would be right that they don't have many available positions this year. I have applied twice to AEON and have yet to hear from them about any interviews

Keichan
May 29th, 2009, 20:36
I have an interview with Amity in Chicago for July. I'm just going to go and keep my options open. I have been approached by borderlink as well, but I've already some rather scary things about Borderlink. I think I'll take just take their interview and if offered a position, I will ask them about the things I've heard. ESID perhaps?

cvmurrieta
June 1st, 2009, 15:14
I think if I end up not finding anything before my contract is up, I'll just take the free ticket back to the US and please Amity by applying Stateside so that they can bring me over on their special Amity visa.

puma
June 1st, 2009, 15:41
im surprised you havent been able to get anything with 1-kyuu japanese and work experience here

cvmurrieta
June 1st, 2009, 16:07
im surprised you havent been able to get anything with 1-kyuu japanese and work experience here

Yeah, I think the eikaiwas view me as too old and overqualified (even though I am not demanding a higher salary) and the translation gigs view me as under-qualified.

I guess I just don't have enough connections

Neb
June 1st, 2009, 16:09
How about experience outside of language and teaching? You could probably spice up your resume and apply to real jobs in other fields in Japan? I mean with 1-kyuu you're as good as Japanese ;).

cvmurrieta
June 2nd, 2009, 09:08
How about experience outside of language and teaching? You could probably spice up your resume and apply to real jobs in other fields in Japan? I mean with 1-kyuu you're as good as Japanese ;).

I agree as long as there are plentiful jobs. I registered with Pasona but was told that they had no jobs to introduce me to. In addition, most of the translation and other biz positions are looking for 2-3 years experience. I only have my year on JET.

Thanks for the encouragement though:)

elleohelle
June 2nd, 2009, 11:58
Cm, why aren't you recontracting?

cvmurrieta
June 2nd, 2009, 12:20
Cm, why aren't you recontracting?

My CO wouldn't let me.

elleohelle
June 2nd, 2009, 13:44
Wow. That stinks. I'm sorry cm. Hope I wasn't prying for info!

cvmurrieta
June 2nd, 2009, 14:02
Wow. That stinks. I'm sorry cm. Hope I wasn't prying for info!

Nah, I've bitched a lot on here about my CO so you weren't prying.

I just wish the global economy was better.