PDA

View Full Version : South Korea

Pages : [1] 2

bananahammock
March 5th, 2009, 14:55
I know if I don't make it into JET I'm going to go to South Korea instead since the cost of living is cheaper(transportation and food and both super cheap), they pay for your apartment, round trip airfare and you can live in Seoul or another big city for pretty cheap as well.

I really like watching this couple's youtube videos so check it out if you are interested.
www.youtube.com/simonandmartina (http://www.youtube.com/simonandmartina)

Ini
March 5th, 2009, 20:16
great plan, only one problem - Korea is a shit hole.

The cost of living is lower for a reason.

AliDimayev
March 5th, 2009, 21:37
so you are one of those "Asia or Bust" people. Best of luck either way.

bananahammock
March 6th, 2009, 00:04
great plan, only one problem - Korea is a shit hole.

The cost of living is lower for a reason.

Have you lived there? I don't think its as bad as some people make it out to be. One of my best friends is from there and some people teaching over there really love it.

heeyal
March 6th, 2009, 00:35
I know someone who's teaching out in Korea at the moment. Seems to like it enough that this is his second stint.

B of NC
March 6th, 2009, 06:14
Bananahammock I'll see you there

Gusuke
March 6th, 2009, 07:35
Have fun making money in a country with a near worthless currency.

bananahammock
March 6th, 2009, 09:16
Bananahammock I'll see you there

If I don't get into JET that is..

bananahammock
March 6th, 2009, 09:20
Have fun making money in a country with a near worthless currency.

Yeah it doesn't pay that great, but its not too shabby since they pay for your housing, airfare, and you get a bonus at the end of the year. If I went with Gepik I would make 2.3 million won which = $1,465.357 USD. I want to go more for the experience than pay anyways.

cvmurrieta
March 6th, 2009, 09:59
Yeah it doesn't pay that great, but its not too shabby since they pay for your housing, airfare, and you get a bonus at the end of the year. If I went with Gepik I would make 2.3 million won which = $1,465.357 USD. I want to go more for the experience than pay anyways.

Glad to see others thinking the same way. I may also head to Korea after JET if I don't find anything this side of the East Sea;)

As for the currency, these things run in cycles. I left Japan the first time around when the yen was 140 to the dollar. Probably not as bad as the won right now but certainly not great.

Ini
March 6th, 2009, 10:47
Who cares about the money, Korea is a fucking hole. Take the worst drunken chavs out of osaka and give them a country and you get Korea.

Neb
March 6th, 2009, 12:14
but they deliver mcds, what more could you want

triumphtr79
March 6th, 2009, 21:59

what program are you referring to?

my friend has visited korea and japan and liked korea better! also the food is top-notch. can it really be that bad? i at least hope to visit there. as for me, if i don't get JET i think i'm gonna just find another way to japan since i spent so much time learning kanji and hardly know any korean. otherwise i wouldn't mind korea at all.

Ruairi
March 7th, 2009, 08:08
GEPIK is a provincial version of the EPIK programme.

I know two people out in Korea at the moment and they are loving it. You would enjoy a good quality of life in Korea on 2.3 million Won/month btw.

patjs
March 7th, 2009, 11:42
I visited. It was ok. It's got a decidedly more dirty feel than Japan. I know I definitely would not want to live there anywhere outside of Seoul or Pusan.

It's dirt cheap though and the people actually have a bit of fire and life to them. The girls were hot and the food was pretty good.

AliDimayev
March 7th, 2009, 11:45
Yeah, those Koreans were always protesting.

cvmurrieta
March 9th, 2009, 13:46
It's dirt cheap though and the people actually have a bit of fire and life to them. The girls were hot.

Reasons why this dirty old man is thinking about teaching there.:p

mteacher80
March 9th, 2009, 22:17
im visiting for 5 days in golden week, ill let ya know.

curtaineater
March 10th, 2009, 05:11
mark, that avatar is great.

Saitaman
March 10th, 2009, 08:45
If South Korea doesn't work out you can go to North Korea. Their tourist posters make it look like a nice place:
http://www.mexicanpictures.com/headingeast/images/nkladies.jpg
http://www.clusterflock.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/goatsagain.png
http://images.forbes.com/media/2008/07/02/propaganda_6.jpg

cvmurrieta
March 10th, 2009, 11:49
im visiting for 5 days in golden week, ill let ya know.

Be sure to post pics of Korean babes when you get back:D

mteacher80
March 10th, 2009, 12:41
mark, that avatar is great.

yeah always loved the record books when i was a kid...

oh and yeah im always up for posting pictures of hot K-chicks

cvmurrieta
March 10th, 2009, 16:38
yeah always loved the record books when i was a kid...

oh and yeah im always up for posting pictures of hot K-chicks

I'm always up for ogling pics of hot K-chicks:p

B of NC
April 8th, 2009, 06:14
Since everyone's playing in the Applying forum I'll take the time to discretely bump the South Korea thread here. I have a phone interview with EPIK the Korean equivalent to JET tonight and believe it or not from what my recruiter has told me they have openings at all times including upto and after the orientation in Seoul at the end of August. So if you aren't gung-ho Japan like me and you just want to go and do something different for at least a year there is that. The pay is slightly less but you don't have to worry about rent, so yea congrats to those of you who don't need backup plans anymore.

cvmurrieta
April 8th, 2009, 10:00
Since everyone's playing in the Applying forum I'll take the time to discretely bump the South Korea thread here. I have a phone interview with EPIK the Korean equivalent to JET tonight and believe it or not from what my recruiter has told me they have openings at all times including upto and after the orientation in Seoul at the end of August. So if you aren't gung-ho Japan like me and you just want to go and do something different for at least a year there is that. The pay is slightly less but you don't have to worry about rent, so yea congrats to those of you who don't need backup plans anymore.

Are you going through a recruiter? I am applying for EPIK through ESL Planet

B of NC
April 8th, 2009, 11:22
Are you going through a recruiter? I am applying for EPIK through ESL Planet

Yes, I went through Footprints although I also signed up with ESL Planet, is Rowan your guy there cause he's the guy I've been talking to and has been way more helpful than footprints in a personal talk to you and shoot emails back and forth although Footprints has its advantages. Anyway I just had my EPIK interview about a hour ago and they basically said it's first come first serve so I'm going to get my degree and CBC apostillised and send them in. Do you know when your interview is? Also I kinda figured you were also applying cause I've seen you around on Dave's,

cvmurrieta
April 8th, 2009, 12:46
Yes, I went through Footprints although I also signed up with ESL Planet, is Rowan your guy there cause he's the guy I've been talking to and has been way more helpful than footprints in a personal talk to you and shoot emails back and forth although Footprints has its advantages. Anyway I just had my EPIK interview about a hour ago and they basically said it's first come first serve so I'm going to get my degree and CBC apostillised and send them in. Do you know when your interview is? Also I kinda figured you were also applying cause I've seen you around on Dave's,

My interview with Footprints left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, I wonder when I will schedule my EPIK interview since I work Monday through Friday, 9am-4:45pm Korea time. I suppose I could check with Rowan when I get home.

Yeah, Rowan is tops. I have heard Korvia is decent too. Did you also apply for SMOE through Rowan? I did; but now that he says there is a dispute between SMOE and ESL Planet, he would forward on the SMOE one to Korvia or Footprints.

I requested Korvia because I have had contact from them, and they seemed professional.

B of NC
April 8th, 2009, 20:51
My interview with Footprints left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, I wonder when I will schedule my EPIK interview since I work Monday through Friday, 9am-4:45pm Korea time. I suppose I could check with Rowan when I get home.

Yeah, Rowan is tops. I have heard Korvia is decent too. Did you also apply for SMOE through Rowan? I did; but now that he says there is a dispute between SMOE and ESL Planet, he would forward on the SMOE one to Korvia or Footprints.

I requested Korvia because I have had contact from them, and they seemed professional.

Funny I've heard a lot of people say that about Footprints but not until I had already chosen them so I went about my business with them they've been great for me with a mix of some help from Rowan.They actually sent me this 27 page pdf about getting my paperwork together which is a huge help for me because this would be my first time overseas.

I'm not applying with SMOE cause I really don't want to live in the city, plus they pay more if you work in the stix and have multiple schools which my interviewer said was probable with the provinces I picked. That's tough with the scheduel, but I think that Rowan may be able to help you out with that. Good luck and I guess we should keep this thread rocking as our own personal playground and to pull and notify other people in.

heyitsme
April 9th, 2009, 00:34
thank you for bumping this up. i am an alternate, and i will most likely be applying to EPIK.

there was nothing particular about japan for me, really. it seems like a fascinating place (like everywhere else in the world), but i would just like to be able to learn a language and live in a new culture and get paid for it, quite frankly.

my boyfriend speaks fluent japanese and has lived in japan and would like to go back for at least long-term visits so that was one big plus for japan. but uh... maybe i can sell him on korea? ha.

my lease is up august 1st so i'd really like to hit the road around then. if JET calls me beforehand, excellent. if not.... i'll be busy with other ideas!

B of NC
April 9th, 2009, 03:24
thank you for bumping this up. i am an alternate, and i will most likely be applying to EPIK.

there was nothing particular about japan for me, really. it seems like a fascinating place (like everywhere else in the world), but i would just like to be able to learn a language and live in a new culture and get paid for it, quite frankly.

my boyfriend speaks fluent japanese and has lived in japan and would like to go back for at least long-term visits so that was one big plus for japan. but uh... maybe i can sell him on korea? ha.

my lease is up august 1st so i'd really like to hit the road around then. if JET calls me beforehand, excellent. if not.... i'll be busy with other ideas!

Well if you don't get the call from your consulate let us know we can probably point you in the right direction, the most important thing I can tell you about the application process to Korea is to have your paper work in order before you decide to apply because some stuff takes a bit to get depending on where you live. But that's neither here nor there for you good luck waiting

Wolfe
April 9th, 2009, 03:43
After reading this thread and looking at some of the companies you guys are talking about I'm seriously considering South Korea as an option now.

Still not too sure about Korea itself... dont know much about it to be honest, and I'd at least like to learn some of the language before I went, so I could talk to the locals and not find myself having to only find other English speaking people. Have you guys had any experience learning Korean?

heyitsme
April 9th, 2009, 04:10
i won't be waiting for too long, i want to get a move on this, but thanks for the advice! i'll make sure to have everything in order first. i assume by "paperwork" you mean the stuff they require to apply? criminal record check, etc. i definitely don't want to leave until the end of july or early august, though....so should i wait to submit my application? it's strange that they don't seem to have any dates (EPIK, that is).

wolfe -- i don't know any korean, but i don't know any japanese either! i'm personally of the opinion that the best way to learn a language is just to go there and throw yourself into it. that's how i started off learning hindi and it worked well for me.

i've always been fascinated by north korea and i know a lot about it, but ... haha, i doubt they want english teachers there ;)

have to do my research on south korea, too, though.

kredman
April 9th, 2009, 04:12
I have two friends who teach English in S.Korea, and they both love it. One teaches elementary level and the other is middle school (14 yr olds).

They have done so many fun things while there, too. They haven't stopped trying to coax me over there either, but alas...my heart is set on teaching in Japan.

Neb
April 9th, 2009, 04:22
i also hear Korea has very attractive women, always a good thing.

heyitsme
April 9th, 2009, 05:00
that's cool kredman, do you know where they teach (what cities)?

i'm hoping for a rural area... i wonder if that's possible. a small city, at least. i'm definitely gonna have to do research.

Neb
April 9th, 2009, 05:04
im considering EPIK if JET doesn't work out.. a friend of mine will be doing a student exchange Seoul in September-December, so it we may have an opportunity to hang out...

B of NC
April 9th, 2009, 05:05
Well I had my phone interview last night and they have accepted me today officially according to my recruiter. If only I followed my own advice. The only thing I don't have is my passport because I've never really traveled but I should get that in about 3 weeks and my apostilized CBC and degree which I can drive to the capital and get done in one day.
heyitsme- I hope that this gives you a bit of the idea of the speed they move with, as far as documents you also need to have the Criminal background check apostilised along with a copy of your degree.

B of NC
April 9th, 2009, 05:12
i'm hoping for a rural area... i wonder if that's possible. a small city, at least. i'm definitely gonna have to do research.

Not only is it possible it is rewarded. I chose a rural province and they will let me have it as long as I get my paperwork in before others who want the same area. Plus you get paid extra for rural areas and having teaching certificates and working at multiple schools. Starting pay for an "urban area" is 1.8million Won per month for a first year teacher. They will give me at least 2.1 million for working in Chungnam province, and it goes up every year you renew

/happy dance

heyitsme
April 9th, 2009, 05:32
wow B of NC, thanks so much for the useful info, and congrats! that sounds awesome.

they really DO move quickly... um, do you think it would be possible for me to give a months notice at my job even? i would have to give at minimum 2 weeks, but i'd really feel better about 1 month.

B of NC
April 9th, 2009, 06:13
wow B of NC, thanks so much for the useful info, and congrats! that sounds awesome.

they really DO move quickly... um, do you think it would be possible for me to give a months notice at my job even? i would have to give at minimum 2 weeks, but i'd really feel better about 1 month.

Sure, all the contracts begin in August so we are still a long ways out you can take all the time you need as long as you can get the paper work to them, thats obviously the best way to get what you want

cvmurrieta
April 9th, 2009, 10:40
Getting those apostilles is going to be a major pain in the ass since I am in Japan. So is the criminal check since many don't seem to know what I should do when I ask around about getting fingerprinted.

I am glad to see that there are people on here who are looking into teaching in Korea. I thought I was the only one on here who gave a shit.

heyitsme
April 10th, 2009, 09:00
anyone know if you can make placement requests for EPIK (and if so how seriously they are taken)?

B of NC
April 10th, 2009, 09:28
If you choose one of the Metropolitan cities then you have quite a bit of control because they are a more condensed area. Once you get to the more rural provinces, you lose control of exact location as far as city/town that you are in but you stand a good chance of getting the province you want, it's pretty much first come first serve.

heyitsme
April 10th, 2009, 09:39
cool, thanks! jeju looks gorgeous.

mteacher80
April 10th, 2009, 13:02
^^cvm: 無犯罪証明書 is a criminal background check in Japan. And it used to include finger printing im pretty sure

Victorius~
April 11th, 2009, 09:15
With EPIK I'm fairly certain there are extra pay incentives for teaching in more rural areas. I taught in South Korea this last summer as kind of an internship and had a great time. The only reason I passed up EPIK is because the dates conflicted with my graduation this year. Otherwise, it's a solid program~

triumphtr79
April 13th, 2009, 03:04
health insurance with epik?

Victorius~
April 13th, 2009, 03:16
Pursuant to the National Medical Insurance Act, 50% of your medical insurance premiums will be paid by your host POE. Current medical insurance premiums total approximately 4.31% of your salary and are payable monthly. Half of this amount, about 2.1%, will be paid by your host POE, with the remaining amount being deducted from your monthly salary. This medical insurance will allow you to receive medical attention and prescription medicines at a fraction of their original cost. In the event that EPIK GETs have dependents living with them in Korea, their host POE will continue to pay 50% of their medical insurance premiums for both the GET and his/her dependents.

Yes, and it's a little cheaper than Japan percentage wise. I think you have to pay your own insurance with most of Japan's programs, too, and it's around 5%.

B of NC
April 13th, 2009, 08:47
Ya basically if you have a question, ask it cause I have a contract with answers yay!!

heyitsme
April 13th, 2009, 23:22
cool, b of NC :)

here's a few questions:
- after you are sent a contract / offered a position, how long do you have to accept it?
- the EPIK website says you need a copy of your diploma that is apostilled. my diploma is buried somewhere in my house in kansas (i live in new york). if i order a copy of my diploma from my college and then take it to the korean embassy to have it apostilled, is that enough, or do they need to see the actual original diploma at the embassy?

also, just out of curiousity, where did you end up deciding to live? was it easy to get your first choice?

curtaineater
April 14th, 2009, 00:42
the only reason i'm hesitant to work in korea or china is because i will have a hell of a time paying my student loans while i'm over there. the conversion to USD will fuck me.

heyitsme
April 14th, 2009, 00:50
i'm pretty sure now is a good time for the won... it keeps getting stronger. i was recently put in contact with my cousin's friend who is teaching there and she said that the exchange rate is improving quickly and should be really good by the summer.

B of NC
April 14th, 2009, 08:03
cool, b of NC :)

here's a few questions:
- after you are sent a contract / offered a position, how long do you have to accept it?
- the EPIK website says you need a copy of your diploma that is apostilled. my diploma is buried somewhere in my house in kansas (i live in new york). if i order a copy of my diploma from my college and then take it to the korean embassy to have it apostilled, is that enough, or do they need to see the actual original diploma at the embassy?

also, just out of curiousity, where did you end up deciding to live? was it easy to get your first choice?

To get the position you want you would need to act with a decent level of speed. I don't know for sure but I don' think they are going to just pull the rug from underneath you.

As far as diploma I think as long as it has the school seal it is fine. Also you need to take it to the Secretary of State to have it apostilled (you only go to the Embassies if you are in Canada)

I choose Chungnam Province, on the West coast and got it pretty much straight away. The guy doing my phone interviewtold me I could have it at the end of the interview as long as I got my paperwork in in a timely fashion (ie within 1-2 months time) which is good cause I'm still 2-4 weeks from getting my passport

UPGRAYEDD
April 14th, 2009, 08:43
One of my life plans, alternate plan f, is to spend my third year in Asia in Korea to get some Korean language skills. That really depends on if I can defer graduate school for a year and plans a-g.

mteacher80
April 14th, 2009, 10:04
i have a few friends that live in korea and work teaching now. they love it for the most part, but the won is pretty much worthless right now and they are broke and having a hard time saving money.
which is good for me though since i am just going to visit for golden week. 5 nights in a nice hotel for 300bucks. entry into the biggest amusement park in korea about 18dollars and everything else is cheap too.....

curtaineater
April 14th, 2009, 11:27
it seems like many of the teaching jobs are for 20-30 hours a week. 2mil won for teaching 20 hours isn't terrible. if my last attempt for japan this year falls through i think i'm going to shoot for k-country.

mteacher80
April 14th, 2009, 11:31
well thats more than i made in china. so if it suits you go for it. it will have its ups and downs like everywhere else, just hope the ups outweigh the downs.

heyitsme
April 15th, 2009, 01:12
.. what program is 2 million won for 20 hours? EPIK pays 2.1 million a month for 40 hour weeks, as far as I can tell -- but you also get free housing.

mteacher80
April 19th, 2009, 17:14
how about this one???

JOB INFORMATION

ESL teacher placement throughout Korea for renewable
12month contract.​

Students range in age from 6 to 18.​

A structured curriculum is provided.​

Small class size, generally from 6 to 12 students, providing more individual teaching.​

Location preference consideration and E2 Visa application specialists on staff.​

QUALIFICATION & REQUIREMENTS

A minimum of Bachelor's degree in any field.​

Teaching experience as well as TESL, TESOL, TEFL certificate holders helpful but not required (Additionally experience as a child care worker, youth counselor, tutor, coach is helpful)

Must be in good physical and mental health.​

No Criminal Background.​

Required citizenship from :
U.​S.​A.​, Canada, U.​K.​, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand.​

sales rep, sales representative,customer service, customer support, customer care,account manager,therapy, recreation, activity therapy, recreation therapy,marketing,selling, advertise, advertising, computer engineer, engineering, computers,food, beverage, restaurant, waiter, waitress, server, charity, donations, contribution, medical, medical care, health, health care, healthcare,clinical, laboratory, manager, retail, retail manager, systems design, IT,office manager, operations manager,physical education, training, exercise, trainer, fitness,child care, childcare, day care, babysitting, toddler care, daycare, teacher, teaching, infant,psychology, counselor, mental health therapist,research assistant,recruit, hiring, recruitment, recruiting, staffing, human resources, recruiter, corporate recruiter,salesperson, salesman, saleswoman, professor, educator, instructor, academic, education, tutor, classroom, teacher,physical trainer, training, exercise, train,translator, translating, translation, bilingual, bi-lingual, interpreter, interpretation,travel agent, leisure, travel coordinator, camp counselor, youth advisor, youth counselor, adolescent counselor, child care,Education, Learning, ESL, ELT, EFL, TESL, TEFL TESOL, SAT, LSAT, GRE, Coaching, Pre-school, Nanny, Child Care, Children, Volunteer, Kindergarten, Middle School, High School, Public, Private, Travel Abroad, Government, K-12, Training, Linguistics, Curriculum Development, Assessment, Asia, International Business, Public Policy, Political Science, English, History, Philosophy, Foreign Language
BENEFIT & OTHER INFOMATION

Annual salary of USD $23K-$28K USD at 100-120hours/​month.​ (Based on current exchange rates)

Paid round trip airfare.​

Paid furnished studio type accommodation with cable and internet availability.​

10~15 Korea national holidays +​ 10 paid vacation days

Monday-Friday work week, only 25-30 hours/​week and
paid sick leave.​

National Medical insurance coverage managed by Korean
Government.​

Low income tax.​ (approx 3.​3%​)

Low cost of living and transportation.​
(Ex.​ $4 for meal, $1 for bus or subway, $4 for local taxi)

Close proximity for traveling :
Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines, Thailand,
Singapore are all within 5 hour by air.​

- You can apply by sending us your resume to (esl@craigskorea.com)esl@​craigskorea.​com (esl@craigskorea.com?subject=%24%20Teach%20English%20in%20Korea%20and%20Experience%20the%20Asian%20Culture.%20No%20Exp%20Reqd.%20All%20Majors%20are%20welcome)
- We are accepting your application though our website.​
Click here for Online Application (http://www.craigskorea.com/common/online.asp)
- Do you want to get more Program information?​
Visit our official website - (http://www.craigskorea.com/)http://www.​craigskorea.​com (http://www.craigskorea.com/)

Neb
April 19th, 2009, 18:09
hey not bad, not bad at all

nnb
April 20th, 2009, 07:51
how about this one???[/font]

Has anyone or known of anyone who has applied through here? I think I might actually be interested...

heyitsme
April 21st, 2009, 23:39
is anyone else nervous about the fact that all of these programs only reimburse airfare after you arrive in korea, rather than just paying for your ticket right off? am i just being overly paranoid?

B of NC
April 22nd, 2009, 00:50
No, it's a way for the people hiring you and me to make sure we don't bolt as soon as we arrive. I would do it to people if I was in there shoes and had been burned.

ESLTeacher
April 22nd, 2009, 16:13
anyone know if you can make placement requests for EPIK (and if so how seriously they are taken)?

I work for EPIK. I got placed where I requested. In the interview I was told it would be difficult since so many people request there, but I got it.

cvmurrieta
April 22nd, 2009, 16:41
I've noticed on this board that no one is calling those who are considering teaching in Korea "losers"

I see that term thrown around a lot on Dave's ESL Cafe. All I see here are a bunch of great people pursuing a great international experience whether it be in Japan through JET or other means or in Korea through whatever avenue is available.

mteacher80
April 22nd, 2009, 17:47
I never got the chance to work in korea, and now that i am married and have a little one i dont see myself being able to have that experience (so we are just going on vacation there for golden week) but china and japan have both been good to me.

B of NC
April 23rd, 2009, 00:16
I've noticed on this board that no one is calling those who are considering teaching in Korea "losers"

I see that term thrown around a lot on Dave's ESL Cafe. All I see here are a bunch of great people pursuing a great international experience whether it be in Japan through JET or other means or in Korea through whatever avenue is available.

That's why I stay here and post and only lurk on Daves

cm2jr4
April 23rd, 2009, 01:50
I work for EPIK. I got placed where I requested. In the interview I was told it would be difficult since so many people request there, but I got it.

thats what they told me, but the next day i had an offer for my request

heyitsme
April 23rd, 2009, 04:36
has anyone heard of the 'let's talk' korean government scholarship program?

thought some of you might be interested... i'm applying to this along with EPIK.

the pay is less, 1.5 million won, but you are placed in a rural area, have the opportunity to live with a host family, and get korean lessons + a korean university student buddy to practice korean with. also, they offer contracts of either 6 months or a year (1 month of which is an orientation) -- so if it doesn't work out or you find you can't live off that salary or whatever, you can always find another position at the end of 6 months.

website is here: http://www.talk.go.kr/

cvmurrieta
April 23rd, 2009, 09:58
That's why I stay here and post and only lurk on Daves

You have made the wise choice.:D

Isn't it funny in a way that you get more encouragement for teaching in Korea on a JET message board than you do on Dave's, which has WAY more people teaching in Korea?:confused:

Victorius~
April 23rd, 2009, 10:44
That's really too bad. South Korea is an amazing place full of cool things to do and see. Other than the humidity, I loved it over there. They have a lot of respect for anyone willing to try and teach, too. The same can be said for Japan. They are both great places. The women are a little different looking, but both are very nice imo ( ^^)d

ESLTeacher
April 23rd, 2009, 13:59
I don’t know much about the TALK program. I met one person who was doing it and she seemed to indicate the experience you have is rather dependent on your host family. I guess it depends upon what your goals are, but I think the EPIK program is about the best route for teaching in Korea. Both programs allow for a lot of Korean culture and language exposure. Being in a public school with real teachers is good for developing as a teacher too. EPIK pays more and you have your own place to live. The TALK pay scale is still enough to survive but not save as much. It would probably be better to apply through their website instead of through a recruiter, because I have heard recruiters give a lot of misinformation. One example is a friend of mine went through a recruiter and the recruiter told him he would be reimbursed for his airfare even if he skipped the orientation, well he came late so he missed the orientation, and EPIK wouldn’t give him his airfare.

There is a forum for people that live and teach in Jeju here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rhymeswithjeju/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rhymeswithjeju/)

You can sign up for free and post questions or whatever. Some of the people that use that forum are rather smug, but you can still find useful info.

UPGRAYEDD
April 23rd, 2009, 14:53
What kind of language learning support do these different Korean programs offer and how likely is it to get a requested placement?

Menelaus
April 24th, 2009, 17:00
So, I applied for EPIK and got an e-mail back about scheduling an interview four hours later. At this rate I could be in Korea by the middle of next month.:lol:

Seriously, though, is EPIK a good program? Do they offer support to their teachers once you arrive? Or do they fling you into a rat-infested apartment and bilk you out of your severance pay?

The fact that they got back to me so quickly makes me think it's not extremely competitive, but I'm trying to be open-minded about the program. Any info would be appreciated :)

Neb
April 24th, 2009, 17:36
It's a government sponsored program, much like JET, so this program will be as far from shady as you can get.

cm2jr4
April 25th, 2009, 03:08
It's a government sponsored program, much like JET, so this program will be as far from shady as you can get.

but, its the korean government.....:|

curtaineater
April 25th, 2009, 04:59
menelaus, how did you go about applying? with all the different hiring companies for the exact same epik job its hard to keep this shit straight.

Menelaus
April 25th, 2009, 05:29
I applied through the online application at http://www.epik.go.kr/
I figured that was probably the most legitimate channel through which to apply...

Neb
April 25th, 2009, 07:20
That site doesn't work for me... :|

Menelaus
April 25th, 2009, 16:25
Huh, I wonder why it doesn't work for you.

To schedule my interview I have to call some office in South Korea on Monday between 9-9:50 am Seoul time, which I believe is between 6-6:50 pm on Sunday for me. :|

I guess I'll head down to Costco and buy an international calling card. I've heard the rates on Skype are pretty reasonable, maybe I'll try that instead.

cvmurrieta
April 25th, 2009, 20:33
For EPIK you can also go through a recruiter. My interview is next Wednesday at 2pm JST. My first choice is Busan. Gotta be able to take that high-speed ferry to Fuckuoka.

B of NC
April 25th, 2009, 21:35
For EPIK you can also go through a recruiter. My interview is next Wednesday at 2pm JST. My first choice is Busan. Gotta be able to take that high-speed ferry to Fuckuoka.

Funny I was just going to ask you when you interview is, good luck all I can say is listen to the advice that Rowan gave you. During my interview they probably didn't ask me one question that we went over, we went over 5 but I was really comfy. As for me I sent my paperwork to Korea on the 23rd it's already in Incheon and should be delivered to my recruiter on Tuesday which is the day I should be getting my Passport and faxing a copy of the info page over!

Also have you not been able to find more work in Japan or are you just going for Korea now?

cvmurrieta
April 26th, 2009, 22:43
Funny I was just going to ask you when you interview is, good luck all I can say is listen to the advice that Rowan gave you. During my interview they probably didn't ask me one question that we went over, we went over 5 but I was really comfy. As for me I sent my paperwork to Korea on the 23rd it's already in Incheon and should be delivered to my recruiter on Tuesday which is the day I should be getting my Passport and faxing a copy of the info page over!

Also have you not been able to find more work in Japan or are you just going for Korea now?

I haven't found anything as of yet. However, I still have three months from April 27 until my contract expires. If my girlfriend and I are still together, she has suggested I move in with her and find work in Sendai and the surrounding areas. But I still feel more comfortable having as many options as possible.

hammer
April 27th, 2009, 20:53
Wow I think i want to apply to teach in Korea as well. The pay seems considerably less, but they do pay for your accomodation and stuff. Hmm just a few questions...

Exactly when should I apply? Id like to apply for the September placement, but I wouldnt mind if I had to wait til next year as I still have some university debts.

What can i expect in the interview? Would it be similar to the JET interview? e.g. why you chose the 3 regions in your application, why you want to teach English in Korea, how you plan on dealing with loneliness,etc.

I think id apply to teach in Incheon and Busan.

heyitsme
April 27th, 2009, 23:25
i'm having major problems getting my diploma scanned for them. it's buried somewhere in my house in kansas (i live in new york) and my mom says she can't find it. my school said they could give me another copy but not till after may 20th! i wonder if i should go ahead and apply now anyway?

i wish they'd just accept transcripts :(

B of NC
April 28th, 2009, 00:12
i'm having major problems getting my diploma scanned for them. it's buried somewhere in my house in kansas (i live in new york) and my mom says she can't find it. my school said they could give me another copy but not till after may 20th! i wonder if i should go ahead and apply now anyway?

i wish they'd just accept transcripts :(

I would say apply then order it to be safe and that way you know that you are in OR order it now and apply because I think anyone from this forum stands a pretty good chance of getting in, because most of us want to do something like this either way it's just a matter of getting your documents over there (which is like 4-5 days though it seems quicker) then them sending you a contract and visa stuff and you sending it back.

ps your gonna need transcripts anyway so pick up some of those as well
pps is there anyone who wants to know all that they want cause I have a nifty pdf from my recruiter if you wanna take a look

heyitsme
April 28th, 2009, 01:15
thanks for the advice. yeah i have already ordered the transcripts and my prof is writing a recommendation letter. thanks, i wouldn't mind looking at that pdf, i'll pm you my email. i think i am gonna bypass the recruiter and just apply straight to EPIK.

Victorius~
April 28th, 2009, 04:07
Best of luck! I hope you get it! South Korea is awesome, and I know you'll have a great time over there~

B of NC
April 28th, 2009, 22:28
My paper work was received yesterday morning my time (EDT) and I got my passport in the mail yesterday afternoon a full 2 days before they thought it would get to me and scanned it and sent it, My recruiter says it should be calm seas for a couple of months until around June or July, hooray more waiting, although this time it's for a contract.

Neb
April 29th, 2009, 04:50
So how much you getting paid, it was 1.8mil won a month for an urban area/with only bachelor degree right?

B of NC
April 29th, 2009, 06:29
I'll be getting 2.1mil won with I believe the chance to earn 2.3mil if I get a second school and the rural bonuses. But I haven't gotten the contract yet also about halfway thru the first year I'll decide if I want to stay another year and do a 100 hour TEFL or TESOL that gives you 2.3mil as a base salary

mteacher80
April 29th, 2009, 21:56
ok only been here 24 hours but seoul rocks....now i want to study korean

heyitsme
May 1st, 2009, 04:08
soooo .... i'm starting to have second thoughts about applying to EPIK right away. i've read that they have march start dates, and this would be good for me for many different reasons.. mostly because bonus season is in january at my firm (i work for a finance firm) and even though they prob won't be very big, it might be worth sticking around for. plus, it wouldn't feel so rushed.

my question is, since there is a mandatory orientation in august, what does this mean for people who start in march? do they still pay for plane tickets etc.? anyone know about this?

thanks!

B of NC
May 1st, 2009, 06:13
I believe there is a orientation for March arrivals as well as they reimburse you that's key they don't pay, they reimburse you

Menelaus
May 1st, 2009, 07:35
So if I have an interview this week, when would I most likely head over to Korea (assuming I get accepted)?

B of NC
May 1st, 2009, 08:26
So if I have an interview on Monday next week, when would I most likely head over to Korea (assuming I get accepted)?

You would go in August unless they explicitly state otherwise... as far as EPIK goes as well as many hagwons

cvmurrieta
May 1st, 2009, 15:37
Did I already post here that I was accepted by EPIK? Or was that on Dave's?

Unbelievably f**king busy day at the prefectural office.

B of NC
May 1st, 2009, 20:16
Did I already post here that I was accepted by EPIK? Or was that on Dave's?

Unbelievably f**king busy day at the prefectural office.

no but congrats, now we will wait to see what your final decision is?

heyitsme
May 2nd, 2009, 02:01
I got upgraded for JET.... so it looks like korea will be another year! Good luck in korea though, guys! I was getting excited about going there haha.. oh well, there will hopefully be many years to come :)

thanks for all of your advice, as well!

B of NC
May 2nd, 2009, 09:13
Congrats on the upgrade

heyitsme
May 3rd, 2009, 23:27
Thanks! And have a great time in korea :)

Victorius~
May 4th, 2009, 06:15
I got upgraded for JET.... so it looks like korea will be another year! Good luck in korea though, guys! I was getting excited about going there haha.. oh well, there will hopefully be many years to come :)

thanks for all of your advice, as well!
Super congrats!

Menelaus
May 4th, 2009, 15:11
So I got offered a position about seven minutes into my EPIK interview on Thursday. How long do I have to get all of the paperwork in/make a final decision? I've pretty much given up on receiving an upgrade from JET, but I'm still not sure if Korea would be the right choice for me. It has become a rather tantalizing option since it would probably be a great experience and I'm so sick of job hunting at this point.

Also: has anyone ever taught in Korea and then subsequently been accepted for JET? I'm just curious since a lot of people I met in Japan constantly made disparaging comments about Korea, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar attitudes towards foreigners who spend time there. I also have no idea if it would even be conceivable to take some vacation days and return to the states/go to Guam for a JET interview.

Oh, one more question: Is the salary bonus for taking a position in a more rural province substantial, or would someone with very poor Korean skills be happier in one of the cities like Seoul or Pusan?

Neb
May 4th, 2009, 16:03
Good questions, that I too would like to know the answers to, but not everyone speaks ill of Korea, Mark was there for vacation and loved it... but I would like to hear his feedback on whether he thinks it'd be worth it to teach there... (and as with your question, whether it be in cities or rural areas).

B of NC
May 4th, 2009, 20:54
First of all if you really want to be in Japan don't close out hope yet, it's still early in upgrading season. But if you don't get in and go for it next year that could be an awesome couple of years in the far East so go for it all.
Not 100% sure about decision time it kind of depends, my recruiter said the end of May or thereabouts, if they are right about when they send out appointments (June at the earliest) then May sounds right but they take people all the way up to and past August.
Can't really comment on Korean-Japanese relations, but everything I've seen says that they are conservative folks out in the middle of no where, but I'll enjoy the challenge, can't say its for everyone
I'm sure you can set a precedent for leaving to interview if you don't get in this year they give you like 18 days you can probably use some of it to get away and interview. The bonuses aren't huge by any stretch of the imagination right now they are at 100000 won ($78/month today), if you get another school then thats another 100000. Of course exchange rates change and at one time the won was better, but it will never be the Yen. As far as where to live if you arent comfortable not being able to talk to most people the closer to Seoul the better Incheon is very close and pretty big itself though very industrial.

Wolfe
May 6th, 2009, 15:12
I was accepted by EPIK last week, took me this long to make a decision... decided I'm gonna go for it. :D

Not looking forward to getting all these visa documents sorted though!

B of NC
May 6th, 2009, 21:30
congrats Wolfe!! Where did you request to be placed?

Menelaus
May 7th, 2009, 06:27
Anyone ever been to Daegu? Is that a nice city? Or is Pusan a lot better?

cvmurrieta
May 7th, 2009, 10:05
Anyone ever been to Daegu? Is that a nice city? Or is Pusan a lot better?

You and I listed both of those places as preferences.

Now that GW is over, I am going to work in earnest on getting all my docs together for the E-2 visa.

Wolfe
May 7th, 2009, 21:46
congrats Wolfe!! Where did you request to be placed?

My first choice is Busan, but I'm not expecting to get it. Not too bothered about where I get placed, anywhere in South Korea is fine by me.

bonbon
May 10th, 2009, 12:58
So I got offered a position about seven minutes into my EPIK interview on Thursday. How long do I have to get all of the paperwork in/make a final decision? I've pretty much given up on receiving an upgrade from JET, but I'm still not sure if Korea would be the right choice for me. It has become a rather tantalizing option since it would probably be a great experience and I'm so sick of job hunting at this point.

Also: has anyone ever taught in Korea and then subsequently been accepted for JET? I'm just curious since a lot of people I met in Japan constantly made disparaging comments about Korea, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar attitudes towards foreigners who spend time there. I also have no idea if it would even be conceivable to take some vacation days and return to the states/go to Guam for a JET interview.

Oh, one more question: Is the salary bonus for taking a position in a more rural province substantial, or would someone with very poor Korean skills be happier in one of the cities like Seoul or Pusan?

Hi there,

I came across this forum and I got really interested with all the things everyone have said in here.

I am currently waiting for an interview date from EPIK as well for the August placements. This will be my first experience teaching overseas if all goes well. I was just surprised that you got your response and offer in such a short time. I have been in this whole application process for around 2 weeks now. A smart thing on your part to go directly to EPIK, I am doing mine through Footprint and they just told me that there is alot of applicants so the earliest interviews will be May 18th???

Just wondering how the interview went and what type of question you were asked? Thanks

B of NC
May 10th, 2009, 20:43
Hi there,

I came across this forum and I got really interested with all the things everyone have said in here.

I am currently waiting for an interview date from EPIK as well for the August placements. This will be my first experience teaching overseas if all goes well. I was just surprised that you got your response and offer in such a short time. I have been in this whole application process for around 2 weeks now. A smart thing on your part to go directly to EPIK, I am doing mine through Footprint and they just told me that there is alot of applicants so the earliest interviews will be May 18th???

Just wondering how the interview went and what type of question you were asked? Thanks

I applied through 2 recruiters ESL Planet and Footprints, as soon as they would accept applications Footprints was fastest in submitting them so I went with them. They took 5 days to get them to EPIK and EPIK 2 1/2 weeks to give me an interview time, about 24 hrs notice to the interview. From what my recruiters told me the EPIK office has like 2 or 3 people that work on the applications, thats it. Good thing is it seems that everyone here has been offered a job at the end of the interview.

bonbon
May 10th, 2009, 22:27
Cool~ I am really excited about all this! I am actually doing this with two other friends too and one of them is having her interview with EPIK tonight. It would be so cool if we all got in and meet up in the orientation. Our first choice is Incheon...but now that everyone is saying how great Busan is I am having second thoughts.....Anyone know anything about Incheon?

But thanks again for your info. I am doing mine through Footprint as well. Do you have a TESOL certificate? Footprint recommended this online site and its legit who offers discounted rate for Footprint peeps but in order to get the discount you need to let Footprint know.

B of NC
May 11th, 2009, 00:12
I don't have a TESOL but I'll decide if I want to do one around January when I decide if I want to stay another year (probably will). To make up for not having one I requested provincial placements with bonuses in the middle of the country in Chungnam, close to the bullet train!! Also it would be cool for everyone to meet up at orientation.

Wolfe
May 11th, 2009, 00:21

In my interview I was asked fairly straighforward questions. Why Korea? What do you know about Korean Culture? Describe yourself. Why do you want to teach? What do you think will be most difficult?

Just use your common sense, and maybe have a few notes with you about Korea if you think it will help. For most of my interview it was more of chat about myself and it felt pretty informal.

You'll be fine.

cvmurrieta
May 12th, 2009, 10:01
Finally mailing my diploma copy back to the States to get it notarized and apostilled. Next? The Criminal Background Check!

B of NC
May 12th, 2009, 11:58
Can you people feel the excitement!!1!!1!! PAPERWORK ARRRRGHHHRHH!!!

Seriously though does anyone have a machine that might be able to accelerate time. All I've got now is waiting. Waiting and waiting and stalking the forum and writing and waiting.

Menelaus
May 13th, 2009, 06:33
So I'm kinda dragging my feet with the whole EPIK thing right now since I have some other stuff going on (new significant other, new job prospects state-side, etc.) and am wondering what happens if I don't turn my forms in promptly.

I've read that in past years they've had many more positions than applicants, and I wouldn't care if I got put in my third choice (one of the rural provinces) because the cities were filled up, but... I expect this year is so much more competitive than in the past that there will probably be many more people signing up.

I guess I might as well gather my stuff, accept a placement, and then pull out later, but if I wait than would it be possible for me to get dropped/left in the lurch?

Wolfe
May 13th, 2009, 07:16
I guess I might as well gather my stuff, accept a placement, and then pull out later, but if I wait than would it be possible for me to get dropped/left in the lurch?

You could still gather all the paperwork you need in the mean time but not send it off until you are sure. As long as you have accepted the job then its yours until either you pull out, or take too long to send all the documents, and I think the deadline for the visa stuff is near the end of June.
If placement isnt an issue then you have plenty of time to decide.

Pip
May 19th, 2009, 11:48
Man, if it's one thing the JET interview and application is good for, it's making EPIK seem like an interview at Starbucks. I just had my phone interview - half an hour in my own home, instead of flying halfway across the country - and the lady on the phone was sweet. Some questions...
"How would you deal with the varying levels of ability in a large classroom?"
"What do you think would be the hardest thing about living in Korea?"
"How would you deal with having to fill in for another teacher's class without any preparation?"
"How do you feel about co-teaching?"
Compared to the JET interview, it was pretty tame.
Now I'm stressed about getting my paperwork in fast enough to get a decent placement (they are first-come-first-served) and a little worried because every TESL site says "insist on talking to your pred!" and it's not possible with EPIK. Or so the nice lady on the phone said.
It's nice to have a probable job in case I don't get upgraded.

Edit: Oh yeah, also a really, really weird question.
"So your Mayor, Brad, signed a document with our government to promote [static] cultural [static]..."
Uh, okay. Good to know. "Yes..."
"And so we are welcoming many new university graduates from your town..."
Where is she going with this? "Yes..."
"So... how often do you see Brad?"
WTF??
Joke's on her though. I have an office on the same floor of City Hall as the mayor, so I see the dude every week or so. Boy was she surprised.

boukyaku
May 20th, 2009, 08:48
Don't know why some of you are going through recruiters for EPIK, I just applied directly through their website... Well... OK, I emailed them with the application in PDF because I noticed the protocol used to apply online isn't in HTTPS, and I am paranoid some hacker will steal all my info if I apply online with an unsecure connection :p.

My phone interview is in a couple of days, also have some long seminar with Interac this Saturday.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the phone interview, looks like it's already something I have been through 5-6 times :p.

I also hope I have enbough time to turn in my documents if I get accepted, I am already getting my CBC and apped copy of diploma in case I get accepted... Hope it's not too late though.

Anyway, I found some good vids on EPIK on youtube, I would watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezJm4x26ZTM&feature=channel_page

Pip
May 23rd, 2009, 00:11
I went with a recruiter that has an office a couple blocks from my house, so if I get screwed I know whose window to throw a brick through.
Actually she's been really helpful, and she's not taking any money out of me for her services, so I'm pretty happy with the choice. I don't really see the point of getting recruited through a big faceless recruiter, though - doesn't sound nearly as convenient.

Menelaus
May 26th, 2009, 05:08
I haven't sent in my documents yet but I'm close to having them ready to go.
I just saw that they are no longer accepting applications for the metropolitan provinces. I had my interview and was accepted about three weeks ago, and my top choices were Daegu and Busan. Do I still have a shot at these placements? My third choice is one of the rural provinces which they're still accepting applications for, so presumably I'll at least get that one. Just curious if anyone knows for sure.

Menelaus
May 27th, 2009, 05:44
Getting a copy of my diploma costs $60 and I'm not even sure if I'd go to Korea if I was offered a placement... this sucks :p

Pip
May 27th, 2009, 06:45
Regarding EPIK:

Anyway, the coordinator told me if I don't send my paperwork by the end of this week, or anyone else for that matters, I am not getting in, positions will already be filled by then. They are just getting massive amounts of applications, I asked about this during the interview, so I am not pulling this info out of my ass.
Reposted here for those who didn't see it in the original thread. I had a good panic last night and emailed my recruiter, who replied this morning with

I haven't heard anything about it. They would have notified me if that was true.Regardless, I threw money at some people and lit fires under others, and have my apostille paperwork on the way to the consulate for apostilling - hopefully it'll be back and the whole bunch can be en route to Korea on Friday. Just to be safe, though, I'm pursuing more options.

B of NC
May 27th, 2009, 08:25
what thread was that in? or where?

Also, for those of you who applied to EPIK or GEPIK or SMOE and used a recruiter did they mention a time to you that they should be sending out contracts and letters of appointment and the like. June at the earliest is what my recruiter said so next week I'm gonna start bugging him for a more focused answer.

boukyaku
May 27th, 2009, 08:37
Yeah, I interviewed with an EPIK coordinator at the main office, didn't go through a recruiter.

Pip, ask your recruiter to call the main EPIK office and get a count of how many positions are left.

Menelaus (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/member.php?u=3681), you can get an official copy of your diploma from your bank for free. Just go to whatever bank you are a member of, almost all of them offer this service for free for their members.

Wolfe
May 27th, 2009, 08:56
what thread was that in? or where?

Also, for those of you who applied to EPIK or GEPIK or SMOE and used a recruiter did they mention a time to you that they should be sending out contracts and letters of appointment and the like. June at the earliest is what my recruiter said so next week I'm gonna start bugging him for a more focused answer.

I havent asked my recruiter yet, only been a week since I sent all my documents. Didnt want to bother them too much, my guess is they'll be ready by the middle of June. I hope so anyway... I'm still worrying about it until I've actually signed the contract.

Pip
May 27th, 2009, 11:26
Pip, ask your recruiter to call the main EPIK office and get a count of how many positions are left.

Amusingly (worryingly?) she followed up with "I've attached a list of the available positions", but didn't attach anything. I'm waiting for her to get back to me with, hopefully, a more substantial list than that. I'll let you know when I find out.
I'm slightly more optimistic about at least getting my paperwork to her by Friday, but who knows how long it'll take to be counted as recieved by the main office.

ESLTeacher
May 27th, 2009, 15:18
For most provinces they are still trying to determine the exact number of vacancies because current teachers don't have to officially say if they want to renew their contract until the middle of June - at least this is the case for my province. My point is, it's possible that more positions will open up after that. Or they may have already accepted applications in anticipation of people not renewing; I don't know exactly how the process works. If I don't have something else lined up by the middle of June, I'll teach in Korea another year. There are a lot of benefits here, and I'd get another pay raise if I re-sign; still, I’m keen on going back to Japan. Looking at the cost/benefit of these programs, like EPIK, and JET, I wonder how much longer they will be around; I think they will be scaled back.

bonbon
May 28th, 2009, 12:14
i don't know about the others think but i feel very uneasy....i though sending in my documents meant that i got the placement....but then it still isn't confirm until the Notice of Appointment is issued....*argh*

and to make matters worst...i somehow got it mixed up and didn't send in my original criminal and degree....the original copied ones with the seals and stuff to korea but sent in the photocopy of them....what are your thoughts on this guys? am i screwed?

for those of you that sent in your documents early....has EPIK given any replies or updates on the progress? this really sux with all the waiting! no wonder it said that it takes 6 to 10 weeks for this whole process to be completed! THANKS~

Pip
May 28th, 2009, 21:36
POE | Number of positions | Positions Filled | Vacant Positions
Seoul | 100 | ----
Busan | 50 | 47 | 3
Daegu | 52 | 9 | 43
Incheon | 45 | 8 | 37
Gwangju | 30 | 3 | 27
Daejeon | 40 | 2 | 38
Ulsan | 70 | 10 | 60
Gangwon | 70 | 8 | 63
Chungbuk | 20 | 3 | 17
Chungnam | 100% renewal |
Jeonbuk ----
Jeonnam | 4 | 1 | 3
Gyeongbuk | 80 | ----
Gyeongnam | 20 | 1 | 19
Jeju | 40 | 12 | 28

Updated : May 19th Tuesday KST 5:00 pm
Applications received : 1175
Interviews passed : 589
Submitted Docs : ---

Apparently this is what she was working from; note the date it was last updated. On the one hand, it was a couple weeks ago, but judging by these numbers, I'd say it's unlikely they will fill up that fast. It appears to be crappy news if you wanted the really sweet urban placements, but I'm up for anything up to and including the Korean equivalent of Trivial Island, so I'm not that worried. Even a relative backwater city like Ulsan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulsan) is unlikely to fill up overnight.

mteacher80
May 28th, 2009, 22:58
not to be a party pooper, but does the looming war make any of you feel uneasy?? just saying? i mean im here in japan and i feel too close for comfort...

Pip
May 28th, 2009, 23:18
not to be a party pooper, but does the looming war make any of you feel uneasy?? just saying? i mean im here in japan and i feel too close for comfort...
I just went to a schmoozey sort of work thing and everyone there who knew about my Korea plans was wisecracking about my future home becoming a glass parking lot.
It's not really bugging me - the Koreas bickering is hardly news, and nothing untoward has happened in a long time. I wouldn't really term it as "looming war" so much as "slightly increased posturing and menacing frowns". However, I am not looking forward to the phone call I will be getting when my mother hears about it.

B of NC
May 29th, 2009, 01:47
I'm not really worried either, I'll be worried once the actually fire the first shot. But I'm still pumped about waiting to go over there. Also I don't like that chart. Too few positions for my taste, 421 EPIK position listed, 338 vacancies shown, and 589 successful interviews, also does your recruiter know if "positions filled" means people re-contracted or they have people like us slotted in?

Pip
May 29th, 2009, 03:29
I'm not really worried either, I'll be worried once the actually fire the first shot. But I'm still pumped about waiting to go over there. Also I don't like that chart. Too few positions for my taste, 421 EPIK position listed, 338 vacancies shown, and 589 successful interviews, also does your recruiter know if "positions filled" means people re-contracted or they have people like us slotted in?
First, positions filled means new people - you'll note Chungnam has no info because all the positions there are filled by recontracting folk.

I'm playing the JET numbers game a little in my head.
Of the people who have passed the interview, how many are likely to go to the next step? Especially when you consider that EPIK is not the OMG DREAM JOB that JET is for many people, but rather one option among many in Korea, and not even the most profitable.
Of those, who are actually going to get the paperwork together and satisfy the requirements (ie criminal check)?
Of those, who are going to quit when offered only rural placements? (I'm guessing many.)

It's not that bad. I just wish the numbers were more current, but hey, it's more info than we got from JET.

B of NC
May 29th, 2009, 03:54
First, positions filled means new people - you'll note Chungnam has no info because all the positions there are filled by recontracting folk.

I'm playing the JET numbers game a little in my head.
Of the people who have passed the interview, how many are likely to go to the next step? Especially when you consider that EPIK is not the OMG DREAM JOB that JET is for many people, but rather one option among many in Korea, and not even the most profitable.
Of those, who are actually going to get the paperwork together and satisfy the requirements (ie criminal check)?
Of those, who are going to quit when offered only rural placements? (I'm guessing many.)

It's not that bad. I just wish the numbers were more current, but hey, it's more info than we got from JET.

Well then, since Chungnam will have no vacancies I hope I'm one of the 3(crazy) people in for Chungbuk.

B of NC
May 29th, 2009, 04:40
From the EPIK website

June 3rd will be the final deadline to apply to all Metropolitan cities (except Seoul) and regular Provinces.

Please note that EPIK will no longer accept applications for BOTH Metropolitan cities and regular Provinces after June 3rd. However, we are pleased to announce that 100 positions are still available for the special metropolitan city of Seoul. EPIK hires twice per year. If you are not eligible for a Seoul position, please consider applying with us for the spring semester. For the March 2010 semester, EPIK will accept applications beginning October 1st, 2009.

boukyaku
May 29th, 2009, 04:56
One of the EPIK coordinators has to go through 7-8 interviews per day.

I wonder how many of them pass the interview? Take note, that it's just one EPIK coordinator. Aren't there just three for the main office? I see why they kind of depend on recruiters :p.

Anyway, I chose pretty rural areas plus put on my app that I am willing to go with other provinces if the ones I chose are full so hoping that makes my chances better.

boukyaku
May 29th, 2009, 04:58
Haha, B of NC, you posted that right while I was typing that last post... So yes, guess everything the EPIK coordinator told me was true.... Going to go with first class mail then.

B of NC
May 29th, 2009, 05:48
Ya I've been checking out the EPIK website more often cause their "whats new" section is starting to pick up in chatter as slowly as it may be it is something which is better than just sitting and waiting.. Oh well I'll give them 2 weeks until I begin an email assault on them

boukyaku
May 29th, 2009, 06:30
It's supposed to take 30 days from the time they receive your documents.
1. EPIK receives your documents
2. EPIK sends your info to the POE in the places your requested.
3. Schools send back contract if you are accepted.
4. Get visa

Can definitely see it taking 2 months or so. Just getting your documents in still isn't time to take out the champagne, when you sign the contract and then the school accepts, that is when it's time to celebrate.

Pip
May 29th, 2009, 21:43
Definitely not breaking out the champagne yet, but I did confirm with my recruiter that when you are at the getting-documents stage, you don't have to worry about the not-accepting-applications note on the EPIK page. I'm still not panicking, though I am quietly fuming over having paid $13 each way for "express post" on Tuesday when the mail didn't arrive in Montreal until this morning. In what way is that express? It could have gotten there in the same amount of time going regular post. :mad:

heeyal
May 29th, 2009, 22:06
Hi guys. Quick question, how long after you submitted your app form did you hear back from EPIK about whether they wanted to interview you or not?

boukyaku
May 30th, 2009, 08:53
one day

it depends if you go with a recruiter or not, I just applied directly to EPIK. Prob the same with recruiters.

MandyWindex
June 3rd, 2009, 12:44
ok i have a couple of questions. i passed the interview portion of the epik hiring process (i applied directly through them) and sent in all my documents. they sent me an email saying they received my documents and would be placing me. does this mean i have been accepted into epik and am guaranteed a job or is it possible i wont get a contract? has anyone else gotten this email? i havent heard back from them, but in the email they said they would contact me in 2-3 weeks, and that was around May 12th. just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this or has had this experience.

cvmurrieta
June 3rd, 2009, 14:13
ok i have a couple of questions. i passed the interview portion of the epik hiring process (i applied directly through them) and sent in all my documents. they sent me an email saying they received my documents and would be placing me. does this mean i have been accepted into epik and am guaranteed a job or is it possible i wont get a contract? has anyone else gotten this email? i havent heard back from them, but in the email they said they would contact me in 2-3 weeks, and that was around May 12th. just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this or has had this experience.

From what my recruiter has been saying, you are probably OK. Since I am in Japan and not able to get that criminal background check, I'll probably lose out on a city. No big deal. If I have to go back home after JET (contract expires this July), I just get all my paperwork together and accept a rural placement which will pay me more and save me more money in the long-term anyway.

There will probably be drop-outs for EPIK. If there are drop-outs for JET, count on it for EPIK.

Pip
June 3rd, 2009, 20:44
My recruiter has been leaning on me for my documents (thanks, Canada Post) but when she leans on me too hard and I panic and ask if I'm not going to have a job, she says we have a "few weeks" before I really need to worry. I think she just wants to make sure I'm on it so that she'll get paid.

Even if the program does fill up, I agree with cv - there will be dropouts, probably lots of them, for all kinds of reasons. Does anyone know if EPIK replaces the people who flake out in the first month in the same way JET does? Because I'm willing to bet an awful lot of people get there with less information on what to expect than is standard for JET. There wasn't a single question about "how do you feel about culture shock/Korea culture" in the interview, except for vague questions about dealing with bureaucracy (in sharp contrast to "what are your three favourite aspects of Japanese culture? who is the prime minister of Japan? what do you know about 17th century Kyouyaki pottery cup stands?")

cvmurrieta
June 3rd, 2009, 21:35
Even if the program does fill up, I agree with cv - there will be dropouts, probably lots of them, for all kinds of reasons. Does anyone know if EPIK replaces the people who flake out in the first month in the same way JET does? Because I'm willing to bet an awful lot of people get there with less information on what to expect than is standard for JET. There wasn't a single question about "how do you feel about culture shock/Korea culture" in the interview, except for vague questions about dealing with bureaucracy (in sharp contrast to "what are your three favourite aspects of Japanese culture? who is the prime minister of Japan? what do you know about 17th century Kyouyaki pottery cup stands?")

From what my recruiter has been saying, they will replace the people who flake out the first month. He has been saying if you have already interviewed then you are OK for getting a position once you get your paperwork in as long as you don't mind going to the inaka because the metro areas have already filled.

Yes, some of the questions that are asked in JET interviews are inane as they don't pertain very much to the workplace once you get here.

MandyWindex
June 4th, 2009, 02:18
as it turns out i got my notification of acceptance and placement this morning in my email so i was getting worried for nothing :P i guess as long as you turn in your paperwork than its no problem. thanks for the answer though!

Ruth
June 4th, 2009, 06:04
Where were you placed?

boukyaku
June 4th, 2009, 08:58
OK, I admit, I went with a recruiter first, the interview left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth so I told them off and applied to EPIK directly.

The interview with EPIK was much, much, better. The coordinator was asking me a lot of questions related to the work and the environment. Like how would I deal with kids from different language levels in the same class, what would I do if I had to suddenly fill in for a MIA teacher, do I feel more comfortable with 6 year old or teens, assuming I do not know Korean, how would I deal with teachers who do not speak English, how much of Korean culture do I know, etc, etc.

There's an EPIK google group with a bunch of documents for mailing stuff in and whatnot, pretty much the same thing I saw with the Denver JET google group... So no, they definiutely try to fill you in on the culture shock in Korea.

Pip
June 4th, 2009, 20:49
OK, I admit, I went with a recruiter first, the interview left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth so I told them off and applied to EPIK directly.

The interview with EPIK was much, much, better. The coordinator was asking me a lot of questions related to the work and the environment. Like how would I deal with kids from different language levels in the same class, what would I do if I had to suddenly fill in for a MIA teacher, do I feel more comfortable with 6 year old or teens, assuming I do not know Korean, how would I deal with teachers who do not speak English, how much of Korean culture do I know, etc, etc.

There's an EPIK google group with a bunch of documents for mailing stuff in and whatnot, pretty much the same thing I saw with the Denver JET google group... So no, they definiutely try to fill you in on the culture shock in Korea.

My interview was with an EPIK coordinator, too - my recruiter is really only handling the documents and questions side of things. I see your point about the interview, there were a couple questions about culture shock, but still nowhere near the JET interview level of personal questions. I haven't joined any Google groups yet, and probably won't until I sign a contract.

heeyal
June 5th, 2009, 00:15
Cheers boukyaka.

Took just over a week to hear back from EPIK, maybe because I'm going through a recruiter - sent in app on 27th and got my interview date today.

They ask any specific questions that threw people?

Pip
June 5th, 2009, 02:37
Just passed an interview with Aclipse for Chungdahm Learning/CDI as a backup in case EPIK goes pear-shaped on me, though I just got notification that my documents are back from the consulate so my paperwork can be submitted by the end of day tomorrow, huzzah.

Anyway, any personal experiences or filthy rumours about CDI?

B of NC
June 5th, 2009, 08:37
as it turns out i got my notification of acceptance and placement this morning in my email so i was getting worried for nothing :P i guess as long as you turn in your paperwork than its no problem. thanks for the answer though!

I think it's important to repeat what has been said before, it ain't official until you get the paper inyour hand

cvmurrieta
June 5th, 2009, 09:43
I just found out that I won't be able to apply for an E-2 visa unless I head back to the States since I am applying for one the first time.

lazarus
June 5th, 2009, 14:33
Have you lived there? I don't think its as bad as some people make it out to be. One of my best friends is from there and some people teaching over there really love it.

I know a Korean CIR from Seoul, and she said that she is never leaving Japan. lol

heeyal
June 5th, 2009, 18:25
Just passed an interview with Aclipse for Chungdahm Learning/CDI as a backup in case EPIK goes pear-shaped on me, though I just got notification that my documents are back from the consulate so my paperwork can be submitted by the end of day tomorrow, huzzah.

Anyway, any personal experiences or filthy rumours about CDI?

Hi Pip.
I think if you search for 'CDI' on Dave's then you should get quite a few threads regarding experiences.

boukyaku
June 6th, 2009, 01:10
Aclipse was actually the recruiting agency I told off, right after the phone interview too. I also don't want to work 4 hours really early in the morning and 4 hours really late at night.

I knew a couple of CIRs that went to Japan, and they said they will never go back :p. ESID

I don't really remember my JET interview being really personal, seemed like a normal interview to me, again though, ESID.

If you do a search for EPIK phone interview I think you will get a list of what to expect. I don't think each coordinator asks the exact same question, but I used that list to prepare myself and did well. It's mostly like, write down what you want to ask the coordinator after the interview, have your resume in front of you, stuff like that.

Also read the same amount of great stories in respect to horror stories when it came to EPIK and teaching in S. Korea, not much different than JET.

For those who dont know, ESID = Every Situation Is Different

Anyways, I'll stay on the alternate list til the end. That's not to say that I will accept a position if they call me when I am in Korea, but just out of curiousity, to see if I would've made it or not... The annoying, "What If" question

Pip
June 6th, 2009, 01:49
Aclipse was actually the recruiting agency I told off, right after the phone interview too. I also don't want to work 4 hours really early in the morning and 4 hours really late at night.

Yeah, I got into it without really doing the research because interviews are good practice regardless. Having hunted around, they seem like they can be okay depending on whether you are at a branch or a franchise, but I'm still not enthused. Anyway my EPIK stuff is with my recruiter, so hopefully Aclipse won't ever enter the picture.

hakugene
June 6th, 2009, 10:09
Anyways, I'll stay on the alternate list til the end. That's not to say that I will accept a position if they call me when I am in Korea, but just out of curiousity, to see if I would've made it or not... The annoying, "What If" question

I'll stay on the JET alternate list until I get a contract and sign it. As much as I'm curious about the 'what if' thing, I guess I'll be courteous and such. Besides, if they weren't going to give me a spot until the fall it would be too late anyway, I need to get a job soon.

cvmurrieta
June 6th, 2009, 16:08
Yeah, I got into it without really doing the research because interviews are good practice regardless. Having hunted around, they seem like they can be okay depending on whether you are at a branch or a franchise, but I'm still not enthused. Anyway my EPIK stuff is with my recruiter, so hopefully Aclipse won't ever enter the picture.

I tried to use Aclipse to get me a job here, but it never panned out. Now I have read on Dave's that Aclipse has been trying to get applicants who want to teach in Japan to go to Korea instead

Pip
June 7th, 2009, 10:30
I tried to use Aclipse to get me a job here, but it never panned out. Now I have read on Dave's that Aclipse has been trying to get applicants who want to teach in Japan to go to Korea instead
They told me up front that their Japan positions are full at the moment.

B of NC
June 8th, 2009, 08:17
So has anybody with a recruiter been told a contract is on the way and given a number to track it?

Wolfe
June 8th, 2009, 08:32
So has anybody with a recruiter been told a contract is on the way and given a number to track it?

Nope, not yet. I'm going to wait until the 19th before contacting them to find out whats going on. A month will have passed by then... which should be plenty of time.

Timoshi
June 8th, 2009, 10:21
I know a Korean CIR from Seoul, and she said that she is never leaving Japan. lol

Seoul shits all over Tokyo and Osaka.

Better food, better bars and cheaper beer. I'm glad I live in the inaka. I'd be heaps jealous of the SMOE ALTs if I lived in a bland Japanese city.

mteacher80
June 8th, 2009, 10:39
yeah i loved seoul too, but it was dirty, more like china city dirty than osaka or tokyo dirty. that and the 10,000s of riot police always running around. weird.

Pip
June 8th, 2009, 10:52
With all my papers shipped off to Korea, all I can do is wait to find out if I get more love from EPIK than from JET.
Small rant: where are all the EPIK people? I went looking on Facebook, Dave's, the official forums for god's sake, and the EPIK GETs have basically no presence anywhere. The discussion is for and by applicants, and the Facebook groups are for orientation pics as far as I can tell. I realize it's a smaller program, but what on earth do these people do while desk-warming all day, or on weeknights stuck in the BFI of Korea?

Timoshi
June 8th, 2009, 11:29
Maybe they're working or going out with friends.

Some people post here after work, but if there wasn't so much dead time during work hours, there'd be no threads to post in.

Pip
June 8th, 2009, 11:34
I'm open to the idea that they have lives, it's just weird that they don't seem to network much. From what I've read, GETs teach a maximum of 22 hours/week and spend the rest of their work time at their desk in the teacher's lounge, "planning lessons".
Mostly I'm just sad about giving up the JET ghost and leaving ITIL. It's a good community.

B of NC
June 8th, 2009, 20:23
Whoa Whoa Whoa!!! I don't speak for Trivial but I'd like to think he isn't gonna kick us out just because we may end up a couple thousand miles away.

Pip
June 9th, 2009, 00:29
Ha, no, I don't think he'd kick us out. It's just kind of weird to be on a forum full of people in Japan dealing with Japanese schools and culture, etc, and be in Korea. I was all set to move to a lively community of EPIK teachers and discovered that there doesn't appear to be one. I'm all for staying and haunting the non-JET forum if other EPIK folk will be around.

boukyaku
June 9th, 2009, 03:10
What can you do, Japan is just a lot more popular than S. Korea, even though one isnt necessarily better than the other.

Neb
June 9th, 2009, 18:37
If I went to Korea (my alternative to JET if I hadn't got in), I would probably have had no opportunity to pay off my student loans. Doing JET and getting paid in Yen (and more comparable to a North American salary) gives me that opportunity.

mteacher80
June 9th, 2009, 18:50
actually you would be able to save a good deal of money working in korea, if you look at the salaries, sure it is less than jet but actually not a great deal less if you gt on with a better company/program. and with the cost of living being soooooo much cheaper there saving would be fairly easy to do.

Neb
June 9th, 2009, 19:34
I'd optimistically get paid $1,700 a month in Korea, in Japan I'd get $3000. I don't think lower expenses would make up for the difference. For loans I want to pay a minimum of $500 a month (read minimum, after getting to Japan and gauging my expenses for the first few months, I'll get a better estimate, hopeful I'd be able to fork more over), that's 30% of my [fictional] Korean monthly salary.

mteacher80
June 9th, 2009, 19:37
well after taxes and pension and insurance and what not that 3000 is more like 2500

Neb
June 9th, 2009, 19:39
well after taxes and pension and insurance and what not that 3000 is more like 2500
Mm, i was quoting in Canadian dollars, so I was using 260,000 yen as the base of conversion, which I should hope includes tax, pension, and insurance. The # obviously doesn't include living expenses though.

mteacher80
June 9th, 2009, 19:43
ah ok

B of NC
June 9th, 2009, 21:03
Alot of people save/send back $600-$800 US per month back home and live pretty good lifestyles in South Kore, that's about how much I plan to send back

boukyaku
June 9th, 2009, 21:15
I'll be getting about $2300 USD per month, so no, not really that much different than JET for me. And yes about the living expenses in S. Korea being lower than Japan... I guess... Then again if you live like a Japanese in Japan only thing that's really expensive is the apartment if you opt for a good one. Depends if you are in urban or rural area as well.

You won't be getting $1700 USD for EPIK now cause all the metropolitan positions are taken, including Jeju. and other cities, so it will be based from 2.2k to 2.7k based on your experience and qualifications.

elleohelle
June 10th, 2009, 03:57
I would mention that some move in money, furnished apartment, and flight are pretty standard in Korea. The first two are ESID on JET. But, JET is in Japan, of course.

Neb
June 10th, 2009, 07:09
I'll be getting about $2300 USD per month, so no, not really that much different than JET for me. And yes about the living expenses in S. Korea being lower than Japan... I guess... Then again if you live like a Japanese in Japan only thing that's really expensive is the apartment if you opt for a good one. Depends if you are in urban or rural area as well.

You won't be getting $1700 USD for EPIK now cause all the metropolitan positions are taken, including Jeju. and other cities, so it will be based from 2.2k to 2.7k based on your experience and qualifications.
I was quoting in CAD and for myself, since I have no "official" qualifications or any teaching\English degrees, so I was using 2m won as my basis of conversion, which seems rather reasonable, considering my lack of qualifications. So even putting into account lower expenses, I still think Japan is a better option for me. I'm not saying South Korea is worse than Japan, but for people who have a rather high student loan debt (me), Japan is the better option.

boukyaku
June 12th, 2009, 01:15
I can see how JET is definitely more appealing for the higher income. In that case, yes, hopefully you get upgraded to pay that student loan... I have none, so in the midst of considering to just save everything in my Korean bank account until the economy revives and the Won is worth more (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!).

Pip
June 12th, 2009, 06:21
I have a ton of student loans, but JET doesn't want me this year (so far! upgrade plz?). EPIK is a decent alternative.
I heard from my recruiter today that my paperwork has arrived in Korea, and I've been recommended to a city called Gwangju. I hadn't heard of it before, but it sounds awesome, so I'm really hoping that contract hurries up and gets here so I can sign it.

Menelaus
June 12th, 2009, 07:29
Just out of curiosity, when/how did you send your paperwork over? I sent mine standard first class mail about 10 days ago and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm almost 99% sure I won't be going to South Korea, but after going to the trouble of getting documents/apostilles I figured I might as well send it out and see where they place me (if there are still spots, lol).

Pip
June 12th, 2009, 08:26
I handed my paperwork by hand to my recruiter Friday afternoon, and she mailed it through Canada Post that afternoon. It apparently arrived today. I have no idea what service she used, but she asked for $60 to mail the thing, so for all I know it could be Owl Post. Or dragons. All I know is that those dragons are prompt.
Also, she has an in with them of some sort. I don't think they usually let people know that they've been sent on to a school board - I wasn't supposed to hear anything else until a contract arrived by return owl.

Spring
June 12th, 2009, 10:39
I visited Busan, South Korea last winter vacation. My brother and I took a ferry from Fukuoka and enjoyed it very much. At first I didn't think much of Korea and the people there, but after being there a few days it quickly grew on me and I loved it. The food is delicious, shopping is cheap and people I found to be very colorful and warm blooded.

heeyal
June 12th, 2009, 18:29
and people I found to be very colorful and warm blooded.

As opposed to what? Cold blooded lizard people?

boukyaku
June 13th, 2009, 08:51
Don't forget, working and living in a country is a little different than tourism :).

Spring
June 13th, 2009, 09:20
As opposed to what? Cold blooded lizard people?

lol. It's an expression. Means warmhearted - marked by warmth of feeling like kindness and sympathy and generosity.

heeyal
June 13th, 2009, 19:56
lol. It's an expression. Means warmhearted - marked by warmth of feeling like kindness and sympathy and generosity.

I know, I know. But sometimes I can't help myself.

Victorius~
June 15th, 2009, 11:12
I visited Busan, South Korea last winter vacation. My brother and I took a ferry from Fukuoka and enjoyed it very much. At first I didn't think much of Korea and the people there, but after being there a few days it quickly grew on me and I loved it. The food is delicious, shopping is cheap and people I found to be very colorful and warm blooded.

They're pretty nice, all in all. I remember before I went most of the people I talked to said that Korean people were typically rude. I didn't find a particularly higher percentage of rude people than there are in the States. I have an interview with HandS Korea Corp. later this week~

B of NC
June 21st, 2009, 21:31
Woke up this morning with an e-mail time stamped at 2 am EDT or 11pm Pacific from my recruiter (footprints) saying that they've received my Notice of Appointment and will be sending it out on Monday and that he will shoot me an email with more details. Sweet!... or Finally! I can't decide if it's more excitement or relief. My documents arrived at the end of April

Wolfe
June 21st, 2009, 23:17
Woke up this morning with an e-mail time stamped at 2 am EDT or 11pm Pacific from my recruiter (footprints) saying that they've received my Notice of Appointment and will be sending it out on Monday and that he will shoot me an email with more details. Sweet!... or Finally! I can't decide if it's more excitement or relief. My documents arrived at the end of April

Grats, must be a huge relief to know it's on the way.

Hoping to hear back from my recruiter any day now... not bothered where I've been placed, just want to know I've got one.

Pip
June 22nd, 2009, 03:39
Hoping to hear back from my recruiter any day now... not bothered where I've been placed, just want to know I've got one.

This. It's nice to be tipped off that I might be going to Gwangju, but I'm way too tired of getting my hopes up and having them crushed to be in the yay-I-have-a-job place until my contract is squared away.

boukyaku
June 22nd, 2009, 07:40
Yes, thinking a little bit about the future on this side. Things like, what if they try to place me in a rat nest, what if my co-workers are nightmares, stuff like that :p.

Combination of those variations as well, what if my coworkers are angels but my apartment is a rat nest, or what about the opposite... I think I would rather deal with nightmarish coworkers and a great apartment, that way I have a sanctuary to go back to.

I plan to digital record EVERYTHING with my expensive camcorder as leverage, see if that intimidates some important people to behave :p.

hammer
June 23rd, 2009, 20:47
Did anyone here apply for ETIS? I think its the Seoul version of EPIK.

The thing I dislike about EPIK/ETIS is that you find out if you have been accepted prior to JET. This year im planning on applying for JET and should I not get accepted, I'll do a working holiday to Japan. But im also thinking about ETIS as a backup, but the teaching year starts in March, whereas you find out if you have been accepted into JET in April.

Victorius~
June 24th, 2009, 01:13
I am now in talks with HandS Korea about getting placed in Incheon. Has anyone else heard of them? I hadn't before I applied on GaijinPot, but they seem like a great program. Real friendly and helpful and actually willing to answer ALL of my questions.

boukyaku
June 24th, 2009, 02:06
No idea, sorry, I don't tend to mix well with recruiting agencies.

Some important info on the EPIK google group:

If you have not yet submitted your documents, please read the following:

Dear EPIK Applicants:

Due to a high influx of applicants with completed documents from various sources, we now expect that all of our positions for September 2009 will be filled by the end of June.

This means that, if you have not yet submitted your documents, you should do so as soon as possible. If you do, please email me with a tracking number so that I can know to expect them and this may help me in reserving one of the remaining spots for you.

If the positions have already filled by the time your documents arrive, your application will be placed in queue for positions that may open due to drop-outs, new position requests or applications rejected by the provinces.

You are welcome to remain on the waiting list as long as you like (most of the drop-outs occur in the final two weeks before the term begins), but we are happy to Fedex your documents back to you upon your request and we have two options for those who are ultimately unable to obtain a position:

We will return your documents to you once it is clear that there will be no further potential positions (likely in early September); OR
If your documents are complete, you may defer you application in order to begin in February 2010.

If you have any questions at all, please call me at #######.

We sincerely appreciate your flexibility and understanding with the application process. The Korean concept of time and the Western concept are very different. A week is a long time in Korea because... Korea is dynamic!

Best wishes,

EPIK

heeyal
June 24th, 2009, 20:16
I sent my documents off yesterday. :(
Fingers crossed time I guess.

Wolfe
June 24th, 2009, 22:09
Informed last night by my recruiter that my NOA and contract has been sent today. Should recieve it by Monday. :)

Ruth
June 24th, 2009, 22:50
Informed last night by my recruiter that my NOA and contract has been sent today. Should recieve it by Monday. :)

Wolfe, I think you said this already, but when did you turn in all of your paperwork? I want my NOAaaaaa.... I don't want to end up on some SMOE waitlist! As funny as that would be.

Wolfe
June 24th, 2009, 23:51
Wolfe, I think you said this already, but when did you turn in all of your paperwork? I want my NOAaaaaa.... I don't want to end up on some SMOE waitlist! As funny as that would be.

I sent my documents on May 20th. So its taken pretty much a month to hear back from them. B of NC sent his documents at the end of April I believe, and heard back from them earlier this week... which I guess means that even if you sent in documents early its no guarantee that you'll hear back from them any sooner. Or it could depend on the area you requested... some provinces may take longer to reply... fuck knows.

Personally I'd say no news is good news. After all, if there was a problem your recruiter or EPIK would have let you know by know. Just sit tight and I'm sure you'll hear something during the next couple of weeks.

boukyaku
June 25th, 2009, 02:01
I sent mine at the end of May as well, heard about my contract last Monday, will receive it next Monday.

Here's a good read.

http://metropolitician.blogs.com/scribblings_of_the_metrop/2009/04/things-i-wish-i-had-known-from-my-first-day-in-korea.html

hammer
June 25th, 2009, 09:14
Lol i like it how the last few points are about dealing with girls

B of NC
June 25th, 2009, 10:46
My contract and NOA came today... but of course today was the one day that I work open to close at my job so I missed it. I will get it no matter what tomorrow as DHL left something for me to sign and they will leave it even if I 'm at work :041:.

B of NC
June 26th, 2009, 00:11
As promised it is all here arrived bright and early at 10:15. The contract is stamped and signed. The Notice of Appointment has a sweet gold NIIED seal on it and I'll be settling into the Province of Chungbuk. An interesting note my NoA is dated June 5 so it took a the better part of a month to make it from Korea to me with a stop at the recruiters in Vancouver.

Wolfe
June 26th, 2009, 00:24
As promised it is all here arrived bright and early at 10:15. The contract is stamped and signed. The Notice of Appointment has a sweet gold NIIED seal on it and I'll be settling into the Province of Chungbuk. An interesting note my NoA is dated June 5 so it took a the better part of a month to make it from Korea to me with a stop at the recruiters in Vancouver.

So it does offically state where you've been placed? Was wondering if they do that... or tell you at a later date.

B of NC
June 26th, 2009, 00:49
So it does offically state where you've been placed? Was wondering if they do that... or tell you at a later date.

It just states the Province or Metropolitan area, they tell you specifically where you're at during the orientation.

Pip
June 26th, 2009, 01:22
Got word from my recruiter today that my contract has been mailed; I've been confirmed for the city of Gwangju. It's been two weeks to the day since she told me they had received my paperwork in Korea (just about four business days after I gave her the paperwork). Nice and fast! I've been advised to book my flight and get my visa.
At this point I can say my recruiter has been pretty great about letting me know what's going on at every step of the process. If people are applying for later sessions and want to go through her, her name is Mara and you can apply through http://www.teachingjobinkorea.com/. She's based in Fredericton, NB (Canada) but as far as I can tell takes applications from all over.

boukyaku
June 26th, 2009, 06:01
Yes, you know exactly where you are placed a week before you are picked up by your co-teacher, or during orientation, the school also gets info on your appointment same time, so they will have a small time frame to search for an apartment for you. I've heard this is how the Korean system is so this type of advanced notice is supported.

The thing I wanted people to get out of that link is... BRING YOUR OWN ENTERTAINMENT.... Stay away from the "DarkSide"... You can apply these concepts to any of the eastern Asian countries, Japan, China, Taiwan, S. Korea, Thailand....

Wolfe
June 26th, 2009, 21:24
Contract arrived today... I've been placed in Daegu! :D

Menelaus
June 28th, 2009, 06:36
It seems I've clinched a spot in Gyeongbuk, just waiting to get my contract back in the mail... there's a 96% chance I'll turn it down, so don't fret if you end up on the waitlist/back-up pool. I'm sure there are many more like me out there...

boukyaku
June 30th, 2009, 05:58
Reading my contract now, it's pretty #$%$ED UP.

Practically says the school owns my soul and I will have to work in various English camps during vacation for free :(...

cvmurrieta
June 30th, 2009, 10:29
Reading my contract now, it's pretty #$%$ED UP.

Practically says the school owns my soul and I will have to work in various English camps during vacation for free :(...

Not the dreaded "English camps"

B of NC
July 3rd, 2009, 23:10
Anyone else get told to go ahead and get your plane ticket? I don't have my visa yet but the recruiter said to go ahead and get a ticket and I've been looking around the interwebs for a while and as logic goes I kinda wish I bought mine a week or two ago.

Also on the EPIK website they have the Orientation schedule up and what appears to be a shuttle bus schedule up but I can't see it cause it's supposed to be a PDF but it opens as a word doc.

Oh yeah what I originally came to ask, anyone else get the EPIK Newsletter this week?

July 4th, 2009, 06:02

July 4th, 2009, 06:04
Anyone else get told to go ahead and get your plane ticket? I don't have my visa yet but the recruiter said to go ahead and get a ticket and I've been looking around the interwebs for a while and as logic goes I kinda wish I bought mine a week or two ago.

Also on the EPIK website they have the Orientation schedule up and what appears to be a shuttle bus schedule up but I can't see it cause it's supposed to be a PDF but it opens as a word doc.

Oh yeah what I originally came to ask, anyone else get the EPIK Newsletter this week?

Hey B of NC

Yeah, I saw the Newsletter on the EPIK website a couple of days ago - didn't read it in detail though. Have you read it? If so, what did you think?

boukyaku
July 4th, 2009, 06:47
The EPIK cooridnator is actually saying to not buy a ticket until you get your visa... I bought mine at a really cheap price two weeks ago. Will be arriving in Seoul 2 weeks before orientation. I can imagine prices have sky rocketed now.

I saw that last night, d/led them as well, you need to add .pdf and .doc to the files, or, if your PC is in "simple" mode, open up adobe reader and word, and try to open those files from there.... then save.....

Going to see which will be cheaper for me, going to the airport from my hotel to ride the shuttle to the uni (it will be $20 USD), or just ride directly from my hotel... I will say one thing though, going to call my EPIK guy to see if we can split the price of me staying at a hotel near that uni, really don't feel like sharing a dorm room with 3-4 other people. I remember the GETs got their own hotel room in EPIK 2007... Don't know about 2008....

Recieved that Newsletter two times... Read some parts shortly, it's mostly BS :p.

B of NC
July 6th, 2009, 05:54
Dave, I did just skim through it but stopped when I saw they were kind of talking to people who arrived this past Spring. I read the news regarding Chungbuk since that's where I'm going.

Then later I looked at the other thing about orientation and I'm not gonna lie I was a little floored when I saw the orientation was in Jeonju, a nice way to unwind after 18 hours in the air, a couple hours bus/shuttle ride to the south of the country. But its a good way to start. We'll be exposed to another part of the country, I can go to Seoul anytime for almost anything. What other reason would I have to go to Jeonju? I hope I love the place.

July 7th, 2009, 02:19
Has anyone applied to SMOE through Koreaconnections? If so, what's your experience been like?

I'm having a fair bit of trouble getting my documents. Does anyone in the U.K. know how to get your documents noterised easily? I don't see how I could drag university staff who signed my degree confirmation letter down to a solicitors office, it all seems a bit crazy.

heeyal
July 7th, 2009, 18:21
Dutopia - You don't need any University staff for that (at least I didn't). Just go to a solicitor and tell them that you need a copy of a degree authenticated - they'll charge around £10 for that, then go to the Foreign Commonwealth Office (or post it to them) and get the apostille.

Wolfe
July 7th, 2009, 20:00
I'm having a fair bit of trouble getting my documents. Does anyone in the U.K. know how to get your documents noterised easily? I don't see how I could drag university staff who signed my degree confirmation letter down to a solicitors office, it all seems a bit crazy.

I found it really easy, I just phoned up a local solicitors office, asked them if they notarised documents, then turned up later that day to get my degree copied and notarised for £5. I had mine done in Milton Keynes so I could get it apostilled the same day at the FCO. If you need any more info about it PM me.

July 7th, 2009, 20:39

July 7th, 2009, 22:36
Dutopia - You don't need any University staff for that (at least I didn't). Just go to a solicitor and tell them that you need a copy of a degree authenticated - they'll charge around £10 for that, then go to the Foreign Commonwealth Office (or post it to them) and get the apostille.

Thanks for the advice. I went along to a solicitor and he notorised both my degree confirmation letter and transcript and only asked for a donation to a charity - very cool. I was worried it would cost a fortune to see a solicitor.

I've also posted the degree confirmation letter that was notorised, signed and stamped to the FCO - hopefully there are no more problems! Time is ticking... feeling the pressure a bit.

heeyal
July 8th, 2009, 01:27
The guy I used was a crook! He said £10 per document (2 in total) and then said that they could only take cash payment and just pocketed the money! It didn't bother me at the time as I was in a rush, but damn!

July 8th, 2009, 01:37
The guy I used was a crook! He said £10 per document (2 in total) and then said that they could only take cash payment and just pocketed the money! It didn't bother me at the time as I was in a rush, but damn!

Sounds unlucky man, at least you have the documents sorted, though. It's a bit of pressure all right, one wrong thing on one document could void your whole application.

boukyaku
July 8th, 2009, 07:16
A friend of mine sent in his documents to the wrong Korean consulate for the visa. Now some crazy Korean lady is holding those documents hostage with no cooperation... Poor bastard *slowly shakes head*.

Remember folks, send your documents to the consulate that has the right jurisdiction where you live.

heeyal
July 8th, 2009, 18:28
Sounds unlucky man, at least you have the documents sorted, though. It's a bit of pressure all right, one wrong thing on one document could void your whole application.

Well my luck didn't get any better. Sent off the docs to ROK but missed the deadline by a day or two. Oh well, on to plan B!

July 8th, 2009, 18:54
Well my luck didn't get any better. Sent off the docs to ROK but missed the deadline by a day or two. Oh well, on to plan B!

Who gave you a deadline, EPIK?

I'm with SMOE and the agency haven't given me a 'deadline' per se, just to get them in "as soon as possible".

heeyal
July 9th, 2009, 18:22
Well there wasn't an actual 'deadline', but it was a case of once they had received enough sets of paperwork to fill the positions they stopped accepting anymore.

With SMOE I think they're still acepting people's application forms so providing you've already passed the interview and you send of your docs soon I'd say you've got a decent chance.

July 9th, 2009, 23:02

July 10th, 2009, 00:43
My contract arrived today and I've been placed in Gyeongbuk-do - not bad I guess.

Has anybody decided whether they're going to take the housing their POE provides for them or the 400,000won monthly allowance for rent? I'm thinking of taking the latter and adding money from my wages (perhaps 100,000-150,000won) to get a nice place.

I'd probably take the apartment, depending on its location from the school. Thinking of schools, do you people on EPIK know your school/location already? SMOE doesn't release that info until you're already there - at the orientation! So no turning back at that point, if you don't like your choice you're pretty much stuck with it.

July 10th, 2009, 00:57
I'd probably take the apartment, depending on its location from the school. Thinking of schools, do you people on EPIK know your school/location already? SMOE doesn't release that info until you're already there - at the orientation! So no turning back at that point, if you don't like your choice you're pretty much stuck with it.

No, we only know the province/metropolitan city where we'll be - like SMOE you discover your specific location/school at orientation. I'm guessing SMOE is a separate scheme pertaining to Seoul?

July 10th, 2009, 01:19
No, we only know the province/metropolitan city where we'll be - like SMOE you discover your specific location/school at orientation. I'm guessing SMOE is a separate scheme pertaining to Seoul?

Yeah exactly, Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education. SMOE give you 500,000 won a month housing allowance if you don't take the apartment, but of course Seoul is more expensive to rent an apartment in.

Pip
July 10th, 2009, 01:24
I'm taking the apartment. I am bringing a longterm houseguest though (fiance), so if that's a problem or if it's a shithole I'll take my chances with the allowance... and yeah, I know they are small places for two people, but we've lived in shoeboxes before pretty successfully. With two cats, even.
Signed my contract with Gwangju and sent it back this morning. I'm going to buy my tickets with cancellation insurance, in case of visa issues/nuclear war/JET calling me up (in rough order of likelihood).

July 10th, 2009, 01:49
I applied to GEPIK and SMOE initially, and GEPIK said they would return the cost of the flight whatever it was - just to get a direct economy flight. SMOE is a bit different, they said they'd refund you with a "1.3 million Korean Won Entrance allowance". I'm trying to work out if they give you this regardless of the flight cost. This could be good if I book early as I'd probably get some extra cash from it, but if visa takes a while to come back I could end up paying more then what they'd give you.

What's your plans for booking a flight?

July 10th, 2009, 06:21

July 10th, 2009, 09:26
I'm mentioning this as I've read a few blog entries etc from former and current EPIK teachers/general Westerners going to Korea for the first time who didn't realise it - figured that a few people here might not know: you can't (shouldn't) flush toilet paper.

Why was I reading about this particular topic? I have IBS and shit like a horse on diuretics, so was interested in the toilet situation in Korea. Amusingly (for others more than myself) my condition is aggravated by spicy foods... this could be interesting.

I just asked my girlfriend who's Korean - she said that it depends on the plumbing for whatever type of place you'll be in. Many of the older buildings have smaller pipes so you're suppose to put your used paper in the bin. She says she's never done that before anywhere, so I don't think you need to worry too much. Then again, she's from Seoul, outside Seoul maybe it's more of an issue?

Pip
July 10th, 2009, 20:47
Booked my flight last night on vayama.com, but with trip insurance in case I need to cancel or push back my flight.
I'm also now getting into my city's EPIK Facebook group, and it looks like the renewal contract is slightly different than the one I just signed. wtf? It's in regards to when you take your vacation, which isn't such a big deal but I wonder what other details aren't consistent. Mostly as long as I'm not living in a roach-infested grass hut and I get paid on time, I'll be happy.
Anyway with the signing of the contract, shit got real for me. My exit plan has gotten simpler over the last week because my roommate isn't vacating our current place anymore and so I don't have to get rid of the household stuff (it's all mine, gah) so there's less to panic about, but I'm starting to get a little concerned about jumping right into teaching with no experience. I know, trained monkey, etc, but I like to actually be competent at my job, you know?

B of NC
July 10th, 2009, 21:57
Got my Visa this morning and now I'm doing one last internet sweep to find the cheapest flight.

edit: Flight booked on cheapoair.com for $715. Way cheaper than what my recruiter said they could do and now I can rest semi-easy and just work and not spend money for the next 5 1/2 weeks

hank
July 12th, 2009, 08:27
So what is the VISA application like? How long does the entire process take? Do you set an appointment?

Thanks.

Menelaus
July 12th, 2009, 13:36
Uh, now that they've given me a placement and everything I am wondering what to do about withdrawing... got kinda freaked out when I read something on the contract that essentially said pissing them off may interfere with my ability to "freely enter the Republic of Korea in the future."

boukyaku
July 12th, 2009, 16:19
Gyeongbuk is the most rural province. Dave_L has a good reason to be concerned.

B of NC
July 12th, 2009, 21:11
So what is the VISA application like? How long does the entire process take? Do you set an appointment?

Thanks.

The Visa application is pretty simple. Contact the Consulate that presides over you and they will E-mail you all you need. I only need the application and a health check and some other thing that is just as simple, a $45 money order, copy of transcript or degree apostle and a free page on your passport plus a return express envelope I sent mine on July 3 and got it back on the 9th. Of course like I said contact the Consulate and it's possible that you won't have to have an interview if you have a EPIK Notice of Appointment

July 13th, 2009, 21:15
I just asked my girlfriend who's Korean - she said that it depends on the plumbing for whatever type of place you'll be in. Many of the older buildings have smaller pipes so you're suppose to put your used paper in the bin. She says she's never done that before anywhere, so I don't think you need to worry too much. Then again, she's from Seoul, outside Seoul maybe it's more of an issue?

Yeah, I've heard that more modern buildings tend to have plumbing which can handle flushed toilet paper, so I can imagine it's OK to flush paper in the big cities.

I'm not too fussed if I have to put it in a bin or use a squat toilet (as long as it's clean). I'm a little surprised by how few Westerners realise that they might have to put their paper in a bin and/or use a squat toilet - freaks them out a little, especially the girls, which is understandable

July 13th, 2009, 21:19

July 13th, 2009, 21:20
Gyeongbuk is the most rural province. Dave_L has a good reason to be concerned.

Lol. Although a rural province wouldn't have been my first choice, and despite having read numerous horror stories about EPIK teachers living in rural Korea, I don't think it will be that bad. If it's really bad I've heard you can transfer after a year to another province/city.