PDA

View Full Version : scattergories schmattergories >_<

kamukamuume
March 12th, 2009, 08:48
okay guise, my teachers wanted me to make "fun games" for their classes' final lessons, and I always agonize for hours alone in my room over what might constitute a fun game and how to implement it. my ashtray is evidence of this.

so scattergories seemed harmless enough, and I tried my best to think of topics that would inspire creative answers and be fun. but guess what? students list the most mundane things and the game last period became a crap shoot, with the group who could list the most mundane garbage as the victor. it seriously got exhausting to listen to all the boring things these kids would come up with, and there was no definitive way to score them. I thought pretty hard before coming up with categories, but I underestimated how easily kids could rob the game of its relevance.

undoubtedly it's my fault, though. the most important thing is structure, and other teachers have pulled it off. can someone help me figure it out?

so how do you all play the game? does each team have one answer, which they feel is the best? do you have them come up and write things on the board? do you urge them to use only english that they know? I don't really have time to think of a new and exciting game now, but I'd like to come up with something before my next class, which is in like 4 hours.

AliDimayev
March 12th, 2009, 08:53
Pictionary worked well in my classes, though I heard it can fail miserably is some classes.

kamukamuume
March 12th, 2009, 08:55
Pictionary worked well in my classes, though I heard it can fail miserably is some classes.

I've done pictionary before. It was all right, but it can be hard to motivate the students to answer. And a lot of kids insist they're incapable of drawing something, even if it's as simple as mickey mouse.

AliDimayev
March 12th, 2009, 08:58
ARlon Dmitri.

WTF.

Natron
March 12th, 2009, 09:06
You could have them play the game in Japanese so they can actually come up with creative answers if that's what you're after. Translate or have the JTE translate the unique answers up on the board.

Or give the students numbers (Groups of 5 1-5) and force them to come up with answers in order. Giving them a job and making their team dependent on them sometimes makes them more motivated versus having the one smart kid in the group come up with all the answers.

kamukamuume
March 12th, 2009, 09:11
You could have them play the game in Japanese so they can actually come up with creative answers if that's what you're after. Translate or have the JTE translate the unique answers up on the board.

Or give the students numbers (Groups of 5 1-5) and force them to come up with answers in order. Giving them a job and making their team dependent on them sometimes makes them more motivated versus having the one smart kid in the group come up with all the answers.

The first thing was actually the problem. Whereas with English they might know sea and water, my teacher told them Japanese was okay, so they said sea, pond, lake, river. (The category is things in nature that are blue).

The second idea sounds good, though. Do you generally have them list things, or just select one answer?

Natron
March 12th, 2009, 09:29
The first thing was actually the problem. Whereas with English they might know sea and water, my teacher told them Japanese was okay, so they said sea, pond, lake, river. (The category is things in nature that are blue).

Well with the things that are blue don't just give them a free for all. Give them a things that are blue that start with any japanese hiragana character. Things that are blue that start with か ka.

I just have one giant sheet of paper that they pass around the group when it's their turn and have the kids that are waiting look in their dictionaries or textbooks.