PDA

View Full Version : RCS, Borderlink and Altia

taeko7
March 16th, 2009, 15:11
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these companies? I think I would prefer being an ALT versus working for an Eikaiwa...
Any information would be great, including perhaps locations? I am trying to get a placement in or near Saitama.

UPGRAYEDD
March 16th, 2009, 16:23
RCS would be a good bet for going to Saitama. I wouldn't recomend any dispatch company though. They fix your work hours at 29 so you cannot get any benefits such as health insurance among other things.

Gusuke
March 16th, 2009, 16:45
My city has a contract with Borderlink, and they seem skeezy as sin. I think the biggest offense to me is to get time off you have to go through them rather than your school, and they force you to buy your own health insurance.

Tomahawk
March 16th, 2009, 20:49
From what I know of Borderlink, they are really fucking tight with the cash. Far worse than the majority of dispatch companies out there. And their personell keep on changing.

Altia have good teaching materials and if i remember correctly aren't too bad at all.

No comment on RCS.

Gusuke
March 16th, 2009, 21:34
Borderlink also has the most retarded policies to pay you here.

Even though we're in Yamanashi, they use Mitsubishi UFJ to pay their employees. Unfortunately, they don't have any branches here in Yamanashi for commercial banking, so all their ALT's in my city have to go to the convience store for all of their banking needs.

taeko7
March 17th, 2009, 14:32
Thanks, so it kinda seems like Borderlink is a no... unless there's anything positive anyone can say.
I can't find much on the RCS website, so I'll try sending them an email. I'll definitely ask about health insurance, and housing. Hopefully I'll get some useful information.
If anyone has anymore info, that would be great!

triumphtr79
March 17th, 2009, 21:27
Altia's website doesn't list any recruiting sessions and if you click on Available Positions there is only one available. I also emailed them several months ago with a question and never got a reply. My most recent email to their recruiting address has still gone unanswered for over a week. Anyone know what's up with them?

curtaineater
March 18th, 2009, 00:31
I messaged Altia with some questions about the application and they responded, but that was a few months ago and they had tons of positions available. I submitted my application since then and have not heard anything from them other than getting an automatic email about my application being submitted.

From what I've picked up at my other interviews, there are TONS of people apply for these jobs this year. One of the people told me that the number of people applying was completely insane compared to previous years. I'm not going to be surprised if I don't get offered a job anywhere. Neither the US or Japan having very robust economies at the moment so jobs are down and applicants are up.

Fuck.

FiercestCalm
March 18th, 2009, 05:23
I applied to RCS and got a phone interview, which I did last week. The guy on the phone was very friendly and answered all my questions. Here's the information I received before the phone interview:

COMPENSATION:
-Monthly salary: \240,000
-Basic salary: \100,000/month (this figure already includes travel expenses)
- Location allowance: \130,000/month
- Attendance Bonus: \10,000/month
- 3 days possible sick leave
Due to nature of contract work, one month processing required before payment.

OPTION A: Aug & Dec paid at 60%
OPTION B: All months paid at 100% except Aug

AVERAGE EXPENDITURES:
Income Tax: 3-5% of monthly income
Insurance: \8400/month (subject to change)
Car fee (if hired): \20,000/month

Accommodation:
We will assist you in finding accommodation within your budget. Please note for most apartments there may be considerable initial outlay.

taeko7
March 18th, 2009, 07:21
Does RCS require a TEFL certificate or previous experience?

FiercestCalm
March 18th, 2009, 13:31
Does RCS require a TEFL certificate or previous experience?

Nope, just the standard BA/BS.

Gusuke
March 18th, 2009, 13:54
I should mention the Borderlink ALT's here are dumbasses for not responding to my emails at work.

Waldroon
March 19th, 2009, 02:11
I applied to RCS and got a phone interview, which I did last week. The guy on the phone was very friendly and answered all my questions. Here's the information I received before the phone interview:

COMPENSATION:
-Monthly salary: \240,000
-Basic salary: \100,000/month (this figure already includes travel expenses)
- Location allowance: \130,000/month
- Attendance Bonus: \10,000/month
- 3 days possible sick leave

AVERAGE EXPENDITURES:

Accommodation:
We will assist you in finding accommodation within your budget. Please note for most apartments there may be considerable initial outlay.

If I'm reading this right that's a base salary after tax, insurance and car fee of 199,600 yen, or ~$2,035 a month....other then august/december which would be $1,221 a month....or $22,477 a year total.

How many hours a week and how many weeks a year are they expecting you to work? At 40 hrs/week and 48 weeks/year that's about $12/hr.

FiercestCalm
March 19th, 2009, 03:04
If I'm reading this right that's a base salary after tax, insurance and car fee of 199,600 yen, or ~$2,035 a month....other then august/december which would be $1,221 a month....or $22,477 a year total.

How many hours a week and how many weeks a year are they expecting you to work? At 40 hrs/week and 48 weeks/year that's about $12/hr.

WORKING DAYS/HOURS: MON-FRI 8:15 – 4:30 (approximate)

HOLIDAYS: Will depend on the Board of Contract type. The below is a guide only.
Ø Sat/Sun, Public holidays
Ø April approx. 5 days; Summer approx. 4 weeks; Winter approx. 10-14 days
Ø March is prorated as it falls outside the contract period.
(recontracting bonus paid to cover this time)

Yeah, the pay is pretty abysmal, especially since they expect you to pay your own key money/deposit and don't pay you for the first month. If not for that stuff, I might actually take this over JET, since they treated me very well and would tell me where they're putting me before making me sign a contract.

Waldroon
March 19th, 2009, 03:33

I misread this and thought they just meant that for some reason you were getting paid less in Aug/Dec, but I think they are talking about the delay in your first months payment? I would want to ask if I were applying, since that's ~$2,000 you're talking about.

In that case it's closer to $13.15/hr if you assume max holidays.

FiercestCalm
March 19th, 2009, 03:35
Yep, you are getting paid less in Aug/December, because you work much less/not at all. The first month's payment is paid after they've reviewed your work for that month.

curtaineater
March 19th, 2009, 05:21
$12 an hour...that sucks. i'm not sure if i should throw in the towel or not right now. jet turned me down and so did amity. i didnt really want to work for amity due to the kids thing but it paid pretty decent compared to the other eikaiwas. i can only compromize myself financially so much before i actually cant afford to make it work. damn this dumb fucking economy. all the places ive talked with have told me there are TONS more applicants this year than any other year before.

taeko7
March 19th, 2009, 06:13
I'm still waiting on JET to get back to me so I'm looking for back-up plans ><
In regards to RCS, how long does the process take? I'm trying to figure out whether I should start now, or wait until I hear back about JET.

FiercestCalm
March 19th, 2009, 06:37
I sent in my e-mail to RCS on March 4th, and they replied about a phone interview on March 9th. We did the interview on the 12th, and I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Hamster
March 29th, 2009, 13:35
Keep away from Borderlink at all costs. Crap on a stick would be too kind. Ask anybody working there and you will get the same comment. Don`t bother asking the management though, it changes continuously. Woe and misery await any employee of that cesspit.

Tomahawk
March 30th, 2009, 00:03
Keep away from Borderlink at all costs. Crap on a stick would be too kind. Ask anybody working there and you will get the same comment. Don`t bother asking the management though, it changes continuously. Woe and misery await any employee of that cesspit.

Exactly what my friend told me but not quite so eloquently :lol:

FiercestCalm
March 31st, 2009, 23:10
I finally just e-mailed RCS, and they said their positions are full right now and to try back in June for September positions. I think my interview went quite well, but I get the feeling that they never really had any June/July positions open anyway.

Gusuke
April 2nd, 2009, 11:07
EDIT: He's actually a cool dude, and after meeting him I can understand his situation

AliDimayev
April 2nd, 2009, 11:31
I like turtles.

Gusuke
April 2nd, 2009, 19:24
EDIT: Same as my previous post

Hamster
April 5th, 2009, 12:26
Positions should be opening up for after the summer break. This is when many of Interact and Borderlink`s ALTs tend to jump ship. People with long term visas may have a slightly better chance in the future since some cities are going back to direct hire. Some of them are waking up to the fact that the dispatch companies are more trouble than they are worth. Interact has lost a few cities this year, while other cities realize their mistake of taking on Borderlink and treat it like a steaming turd come next contract season.

puma
April 7th, 2009, 14:46
Positions should be opening up for after the summer break. This is when many of Interact and Borderlink`s ALTs tend to jump ship. People with long term visas may have a slightly better chance in the future since some cities are going back to direct hire. Some of them are waking up to the fact that the dispatch companies are more trouble than they are worth. Interact has lost a few cities this year, while other cities realize their mistake of taking on Borderlink and treat it like a steaming turd come next contract season.

There's really no difference between JETs and privates. All college educated, all ALTs, all foreign. Some ex-JETs work for eikaiwa, and some ex-eikaiwa workers are on JET. More than likely, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an eikaiwa worker and a JET.

Andrew101
April 8th, 2009, 16:52
AVERAGE EXPENDITURES:

That is amazing...in an absolutely outrageous way! What's the "insurance" for?

A hired car for 20,000 yen/month! I bought a brand new Mazda Demio just over a year ago and the with only 300,000 yen up front, I am paying less than 30,000 yen/month repayments (over 4 years). Admittedly I then have insurance on top of that (under 10,000 yen/month).

curtaineater
April 9th, 2009, 00:43
i dont really think that is too outrageous. insurance is to make sure you dont get fucked on medical bills when you get sick or injured...

Andrew101
April 9th, 2009, 12:58
i dont really think that is too outrageous. insurance is to make sure you dont get fucked on medical bills when you get sick or injured...

My misunderstanding. I pay about 13,000 yen/month for the Japanese national health insurance so it acually sounds okay.

Admittedly when I worked for Interac was 6 years ago, but my health insurance was about 5,000 yen/month with http://www.interglobalpmi.com/ I claimed once and there was no problem getting my money.

The only thing about that kind of cover is that I had to pay up front for my treatment and claim it back.

Wolfe
April 9th, 2009, 13:48
Just to let anyone know whos thinking of applying with RCS, I got an email from them saying they are still full on positions until September.

vdog
April 10th, 2009, 08:26
Just to let anyone know whos thinking of applying with RCS, I got an email from them saying they are still full on positions until September.

Darn...well thanks for the info!

Victorius~
April 11th, 2009, 10:18

September it is. Nothing we can do about, I guess. They have some primo placement areas imo

Hamster
July 30th, 2009, 15:29
You may have noticed that Borderlink is now asking for ALTs in Ome city. Be warned that BL may not last another year there as the Board of Education is really pissed off at them. The position being offered is at #1 and #6 jr high schools and whoever fills the position will be the 6th ALT there in a little over 2 years. If you are the person who has accepted the position and need to relocate to the area, do not accept any housing that goes through BL. Several people have been ripped off for huge amounts of money. Find a place on your own. As evident from tons of other comments, BL is a terrible company that does not give a damn about its workers. I received a call late at night saying that the contract would not offered, "we don't have to explain anything to you." Later, it was "reports and other considerations." Next day at the weekly ALT meeting was told by Nishigori "a school complained, but we won't tell you which one. Tough luck." He was a little more open when all the ALTs confronted the head of the Ome B.O.E. Then he finally produced evaluation reports the were to have been shown to the ALTs in December. Went to the school in question. Vice principal was pissed off I was being let go as they were all happy with me. She spent 15 minutes chewing out the fluff head in Omiya. Later was informed that it was never the evaluations, but BL had "decided" I was writing negative things on the Internet. When that didn't wash, it was "he was negative at meetings." The real reason is that I and some former workers made formal complaints to the Labor Office, but legally you can't be fired for that. This was done in mid March, after BL had gotten the contract with Ome and assured the city that no ALT changes would take place.
If you are unfortunate enough to be working for this crap on a stick company, and you feel you are being taken advantage of, contact the Labor Office in Saitama. Fax: 0486-00-6224 Ms. Kurosawa. She speaks English, is in the office Monday and Fridays and is very helpful.
A co-worker also received a "you're fired without an explanation" call,
but received another call 30 minutes later saying it had been "a communications error." Laughing by the office staff could be heard in the backround. Also, if you have accepted the Ome position, the salary for people who started there three years ago is 250,000 before taxes, new people are being offered less. The only good think I can say about this joke of a company is that they have always payed on time. Other than that, not worth it. One more thing. BL workers get their pay slips in the mail. On the envelope is the address of Will Holdings, the parent company. If you really are being screwed by BL, write Will Holdings a letter and let them know what the problem is. I was pleasantly surprised when they responded to my written complaints personally. Borderling = Bad Luck.

Gusuke
July 30th, 2009, 16:37
You may have noticed that Borderlink is now asking for ALTs in Ome city. Be warned that BL may not last another year there as the Board of Education is really pissed off at them. The position being offered is at #1 and #6 jr high schools and whoever fills the position will be the 6th ALT there in a little over 2 years. If you are the person who has accepted the position and need to relocate to the area, do not accept any housing that goes through BL. Several people have been ripped off for huge amounts of money. Find a place on your own. As evident from tons of other comments, BL is a terrible company that does not give a damn about its workers. I received a call late at night saying that the contract would not offered, "we don't have to explain anything to you." Later, it was "reports and other considerations." Next day at the weekly ALT meeting was told by Nishigori "a school complained, but we won't tell you which one. Tough luck." He was a little more open when all the ALTs confronted the head of the Ome B.O.E. Then he finally produced evaluation reports the were to have been shown to the ALTs in December. Went to the school in question. Vice principal was pissed off I was being let go as they were all happy with me. She spent 15 minutes chewing out the fluff head in Omiya. Later was informed that it was never the evaluations, but BL had "decided" I was writing negative things on the Internet. When that didn't wash, it was "he was negative at meetings." The real reason is that I and some former workers made formal complaints to the Labor Office, but legally you can't be fired for that. This was done in mid March, after BL had gotten the contract with Ome and assured the city that no ALT changes would take place.
If you are unfortunate enough to be working for this crap on a stick company, and you feel you are being taken advantage of, contact the Labor Office in Saitama. Fax: 0486-00-6224 Ms. Kurosawa. She speaks English, is in the office Monday and Fridays and is very helpful.
A co-worker also received a "you're fired without an explanation" call,
but received another call 30 minutes later saying it had been "a communications error." Laughing by the office staff could be heard in the backround. Also, if you have accepted the Ome position, the salary for people who started there three years ago is 250,000 before taxes, new people are being offered less. The only good think I can say about this joke of a company is that they have always payed on time. Other than that, not worth it. One more thing. BL workers get their pay slips in the mail. On the envelope is the address of Will Holdings, the parent company. If you really are being screwed by BL, write Will Holdings a letter and let them know what the problem is. I was pleasantly surprised when they responded to my written complaints personally. Borderling = Bad Luck.

Oh man, that Morikawa dude seems like a huge douchebag. Since my city has a contract with them, I have to go with the Borderlink ALT's to meetings and seminars about English. Since it's their seminars/presentations, I just have to be there.

At the last one, I just played PSP while they were all setting up, the look on his face was priceless since he couldn't order me around. :lol:

One of my friends here shown me an email from them, stating that they'll take care of getting you your reentry permit, if you mail them your passport plus pay a 5000 yen processing fee. I couldn't believe how fishy and wrong that is; this isn't China or Korea where your employer will ask for your passport for 'safe keeping'!

Since I might be the last JET in my city, and since I'm kind of mad at my BoE, I'm thinking of kicking up a fuss with the GU to gurantee someone will take my position; also does Kevin still work there?

UPGRAYEDD
July 31st, 2009, 09:00
No snitchin

Hamster
July 31st, 2009, 15:15
Kevin was still there in the spring. Rare for office people to last any length of time. We had one of those "seminars" as well. 2 hour train ride (50% fare paid) and several hours of head office people attempting to get us to tell them our lesson plans, probably to pass off as their own. Borderlink aslo has a sweet deal where they have 3 day lessons to instruct the Japanese elementary teachers how to teach English. BL gets extra for this, ALT get zero. Days not worked in July just moved to August. Good idea, except BL has no idea of what they are doing. !st years spent several hours doing the Hokey Pokey, a sourpuss office lady teaching irregular verbs, and a pet ALT hyped up on sugar (2 snickers and 1 liter of Coke every few hours) jumping around talking about himself. Good luck being stuck with this crappy company.

Gusuke
July 31st, 2009, 15:25
Kevin was still there in the spring. Rare for office people to last any length of time. We had one of those "seminars" as well. 2 hour train ride (50% fare paid) and several hours of head office people attempting to get us to tell them our lesson plans, probably to pass off as their own. Borderlink aslo has a sweet deal where they have 3 day lessons to instruct the Japanese elementary teachers how to teach English. BL gets extra for this, ALT get zero. Days not worked in July just moved to August. Good idea, except BL has no idea of what they are doing. !st years spent several hours doing the Hokey Pokey, a sourpuss office lady teaching irregular verbs, and a pet ALT hyped up on sugar (2 snickers and 1 liter of Coke every few hours) jumping around talking about himself. Good luck being stuck with this crappy company.

Oh I'm actually on JET, but my city has a contract with Borderlink so I have to go their meetings here with their ALT's.

I can't stand that one Japanese dude who's name I forgot; I think it's Nishigori but he seems slimy as hell.

Hamster
July 31st, 2009, 17:57
Lucky you. Two slimeballs. The heavier one with the really greasy hair and yells at the other workers is Morikawa. The thinner one is Nishigori. He was sent from the parent company to straighten out BL after all the complaints, but turned into a creepazoid. This is the low-life that made up all the fictional reasons for letting me go, laughed when told the co-worker being fired was a mistake and kept the teacher evaluations to himself, despite city contract stating they must be shown to the ALTs. If you have any chance to piss these bozos off, have at it. you don't work for them, show no mercy.

Gusuke
July 31st, 2009, 18:03
Lucky you. Two slimeballs. The heavier one with the really greasy hair and yells at the other workers is Morikawa. The thinner one is Nishigori. He was sent from the parent company to straighten out BL after all the complaints, but turned into a creepazoid. This is the low-life that made up all the fictional reasons for letting me go, laughed when told the co-worker being fired was a mistake and kept the teacher evaluations to himself, despite city contract stating they must be shown to the ALTs. If you have any chance to piss these bozos off, have at it. you don't work for them, show no mercy.

As I mentioned before, it felt great to not lift a finger and play PSP! And don't worry, I'm going to keep up this behavior if we have any more meetings. :^_^:

During that same meeting, Nishigori didn't make me do a presentation because I'm not with Borderlink, it was great!

Btw, who's the gay dude who works there? I asked him how much he made as their staff, and I lol-ed since he's making the same as a JET but doing at least twice the work!

Hamster
July 31st, 2009, 18:14
Was the guy an American, light hair and spoke Japanese really well? If so, don't know if he's gay, but came to our first meeting dressed like Willy Wonka on LSD. That guy was Chris.

Gusuke
July 31st, 2009, 18:18
Was the guy an American, light hair and spoke Japanese really well? If so, don't know if he's gay, but came to our first meeting dressed like Willy Wonka on LSD. That guy was Chris.

Yup, that's the guy!

He was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too genki during one of the meetings in my city.

Apparently my city is the furthest west BL goes to, and they won't pay for their employee's transportation back to your head office. :|

Hamster
July 31st, 2009, 18:23
If you can, what city do you work in? Just curious. During our first year BL didn't pay any transportation. Next year we all got 10,000 a month transportation, but, salary was knocked down by same amount. Generous sods.

Gusuke
July 31st, 2009, 18:28
If you can, what city do you work in? Just curious. During our first year BL didn't pay any transportation. Next year we all got 10,000 a month transportation, but, salary was knocked down by same amount. Generous sods.

Minami Alps, Yamanashi

Hamster
July 31st, 2009, 18:48
Damn, that is a ways away. Always thought my town as west as Bowel Leakage went. They have a habit of getting as many contracts as they can, then, they scurry around finding people to fill the positions. As a result, a real bunch of winners. Several ALTs that "can't be bothered " to come into work, some that don't have any concept of spelling or capital letters (saw this one myself) and even one guy who put a student into a neck hold, snapped his belt at him, and threatened to hang him out of the window. BL has a habit of underbidding the current company or JET program. ALTs from the former company go over to the Dark Side because it is too late to find something else. For those who do leave, Brain Loss takes in anything with a pulse. Myself and several others went with BL for the above reasons, plus, we live in the area and really like our schools. With luck, BL will be out of our area come next term. It tends to say something when the head of the B.O.E. calls the BL staff "kimiwarui."

Gusuke
July 31st, 2009, 18:53
Damn, that is a ways away. Always thought my town as west as Bowel Leakage went. They have a habit of getting as many contracts as they can, then, they scurry around finding people to fill the positions. As a result, a real bunch of winners. Several ALTs that "can't be bothered " to come into work, some that don't have any concept of spelling or capital letters (saw this one myself) and even one guy who put a student into a neck hold, snapped his belt at him, and threatened to hang him out of the window. BL has a habit of underbidding the current company or JET program. ALTs from the former company go over to the Dark Side because it is too late to find something else. For those who do leave, Brain Loss takes in anything with a pulse. Myself and several others went with BL for the above reasons, plus, we live in the area and really like our schools. With luck, BL will be out of our area come next term. It tends to say something when the head of the B.O.E. calls the BL staff "kimiwarui."

Yeah, from what I've gathered on my own out of a sense of security for my own job is that there's quite a few of BoE'S who can't stand them, and go with somebody else.

AFAIK, they seem to be doing ok here; but I'm sure they'll screw it up somehow and lose the contract. Like I said, I think next year I'm going to muck up things with my BoE and contact the GU of guaranteeing a JET position here.

patjs
August 1st, 2009, 11:46
BL came into the BOE one day when I was there and the woman tried to tell my supervisor right in front of me about switching to them. He took her card and ripped it in half and threw it in the garbage and said "don't worry."

Gusuke
August 1st, 2009, 11:59
BL came into the BOE one day when I was there and the woman tried to tell my supervisor right in front of me about switching to them. He took her card and ripped it in half and threw it in the garbage and said "don't worry."

Dude, your supervisor is awesome!

Gusuke
August 1st, 2009, 19:51
Welcome to 120Jobs.com - No. 1 source for all classifieds in Asia (http://www.120jobs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43&view=previous&sid=4859b3cb41589ad213b5df37351c85d1)

Don't know how true it is, but that anecdote about Morikawa is pretty funny!

Hamster
August 2nd, 2009, 12:07
Wish our B.O.E. had enough sense to get rid of BL. Which anecdote about Morikawa is being referred to? Several (none of them nice) can recall with no problem.

Gusuke
August 2nd, 2009, 19:43
Hahaha, the one about him being a pervert!

Hamster
August 3rd, 2009, 08:54
If it's the one about him and a student, most likely true. Slimey guy. Can imagine him hanging around the schoolyard dressed in a giant rabbit costume. "Hey little girl, want some candy?" This is the guy who screwed up RCS, now destroying BL.

rascalking
November 3rd, 2009, 08:47
Oh man, this is not reassuring. I'm planning to move to Japan after I graduate college in December and this is the sole company I've been offered a job to. I was so excited until I really started doing some research on the company. Is it really THAT bad? Has anyone had any good experiences?

ChuChuRocket!
November 4th, 2009, 09:46
Oh man, this is not reassuring. I'm planning to move to Japan after I graduate college in December and this is the sole company I've been offered a job to. I was so excited until I really started doing some research on the company. Is it really THAT bad? Has anyone had any good experiences?

None at all.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I'm not kidding either.

Look for other jobs starting in March of next year, when the new school year starts.

But stay away from Borderlink..... they are shaddddyyyyyy.....

(Also save up a big chunk of cash, say around $6,000 or so. What you probably don't realize is that you don't get paid until the end of your second month, you'll need to rent your own place and pay key money and deposit, and your place will be completely empty when you move in. So $6,000 would probably be what you would need at the LEAST.)

rascalking
November 4th, 2009, 12:54
None at all.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I'm not kidding either.

Look for other jobs starting in March of next year, when the new school year starts.

But stay away from Borderlink..... they are shaddddyyyyyy.....

(Also save up a big chunk of cash, say around $6,000 or so. What you probably don't realize is that you don't get paid until the end of your second month, you'll need to rent your own place and pay key money and deposit, and your place will be completely empty when you move in. So $6,000 would probably be what you would need at the LEAST.)

Can I just use them then to get my visa then bail out on the company after a month or so? heh

ChuChuRocket!
November 4th, 2009, 14:20
Can I just use them then to get my visa then bail out on the company after a month or so? heh

Well you could. I guess. If for some reason you found another job in the same area, and that hired you, and that would pay you quickly.

Try Interac. Or just look around gaijinpot.com.

Trying to switch jobs mid-year is lame.

Also, they have a non-compete clause in their contracts, so you might not be able to get another job in your area.

Yes kids, thats true. In a shitty ALT contract with borderlink there is a non-compete clause that says you can't work for a competitor in the same area for THREE YEARS.

rascalking
November 11th, 2009, 06:05
Well you could. I guess. If for some reason you found another job in the same area, and that hired you, and that would pay you quickly.

Try Interac. Or just look around gaijinpot.com.

Trying to switch jobs mid-year is lame.

Also, they have a non-compete clause in their contracts, so you might not be able to get another job in your area.

Yes kids, thats true. In a shitty ALT contract with borderlink there is a non-compete clause that says you can't work for a competitor in the same area for THREE YEARS.

Well, I just got rejected from both Aeon and Amity (hopefully because I told them I was only willing to live in the Kanto region, as I felt like I aced everything). I do have a few more interviews coming up in December but the offer with Borderlink will expire unless I send in all my documents by the end of November. I absolutely HAVE to get SOME job there before I go out, as I'll be moving in with my girlfriend and need that freakin visa.

So, would it be possible that I could accept the position with Borderlink and send in all my documents to them, just as a fallback plan? If I get another job offer in December, would I be able to withdraw my acceptance with Borderlink even after I send them all my documents and visa stuff? Or, am I bound to that job after I send in everything. Please let me know! Thanks

ChuChuRocket!
November 11th, 2009, 14:20
Well there is a wonderful non-compete clause in Borderlink's contract. So you may be SOL if you want to find a job in the same area within the next three years.

Borderlink might not give you the necessary paperwork to let you move your VISA over to a new job. Thats illegal, but they might try it anyways.

Who knows really.

rascalking
November 11th, 2009, 16:06
Well there is a wonderful non-compete clause in Borderlink's contract. So you may be SOL if you want to find a job in the same area within the next three years.

Borderlink might not give you the necessary paperwork to let you move your VISA over to a new job. Thats illegal, but they might try it anyways.

Who knows really.

Wow.....they can pull that before I've even started the job?!? Because I would for sure switch over before I've even started. I have two seminars in December for different companies but thats after the cut off date for sending in my documents to Borderlink. I really don't know what to do. I want to accept with them and then keep looking in case I get another job offer before I start, but you're saying even if I do, there's a chance I can't withdraw my visa application with Borderlink?? Yikes...

ChuChuRocket!
November 12th, 2009, 10:38
Wow.....they can pull that before I've even started the job?!? Because I would for sure switch over before I've even started. I have two seminars in December for different companies but thats after the cut off date for sending in my documents to Borderlink. I really don't know what to do. I want to accept with them and then keep looking in case I get another job offer before I start, but you're saying even if I do, there's a chance I can't withdraw my visa application with Borderlink?? Yikes...

Well as long as you don't sign any contracts you should be ok. I'd only worry if you sign a contract with a non-compete clause.

You could always tell them that you want that part taken out (if it is there). You hold a bit of power over them as the number of ALTs in Japan are decreasing. Well, decreasing along with the pay.

Hamster
November 13th, 2009, 18:01

Don't worry about the no compete clause. It is not legal and can not be enforced. The country is filled with people who are working at other places doing the same work. If you do come and get the visa, it is yours. No matter what Borderlink threatens you with, you can move to another position. As others have stated, you will need a ton of money just to get settled. Several months rent plus you have to buy fixtures. Think very carefully before accepting any position with BL. Even though your contract says you will receive a monthly salary, you will be docked for the exact amount of time you come in late or leave early. Your pay day is the 25th of the following month, and, not all of the months are fully paid months. ALTs who have been here for some time have been making complaints to the proper offices and refusing to 'take it lying down', so now BL is recruiting overseas for people they can screw.
Evil company.

ChuChuRocket!
November 15th, 2009, 14:33
Bingo.

Victorius~
November 20th, 2009, 10:25
That sounds pretty rough. A couple of my friends over there said there is more work in Japan if actually make it over nad get a visa first. Do you think it would be worthwhile to put up with BL for the first couple months just to help get settled with a proper visa? One of my friends got offered a position with them, but no one's too fond of getting d'd in the financial b.

Hamster
November 20th, 2009, 21:20
It all depends when Borderlink wants you to start. If it is before the new school year (April, 2010), then you are replacing somebody who suddenly quit. And, that position may be gone come March. B.O.E.s and the schools hate it when ALTs keep changing. In order to better secure a contract,BL has actually promised the local B.O.E. that no one would quit during the year. Of course people do leave, and when they do, confidence in the dispatch company goes down, along with chances of a new contract. I would only accept if it is for the new school year and BL can tell you what school or school district you will be working at, and, provide some type of proof that the position will be available when you arrive. Then, you can look for something better. BL and all the other dispatch companies all try to underbid each other for contracts, so B.O.E.s almost always wait until the last minute to decide on a company. Potential ALTs (Iike yourself) and current ALTs will not know if they have a position until just a few weeks before the term starts. No position is guaranteed until this time. Be warned. If you and others accept the position by e-mail, Borderlink will be able to say that it has enough ALTs for the new year. But, if BL doesn't renew, or loses the contract, you will be told "sorry, but there is no position for you. Tough luck." There is no job security at all.

justice
September 10th, 2012, 12:10
RCS?
My first month pro-rated pay was 8000 yen.

Basic Salary 100,000 yen

and

Location Allowance 100,000 yen

are pro-rated. So if your school term starts around the ninth of the month, expect very little. I got 8000 yen, that is 102 US dollars. And for the second non-pro rated month what I got was below:

Basic Salary 100,000 yen

Location Allowance 100,000 yen

100% Attendance Bonus 10,000 yen

Total 210,000 yen

Deductions

Income Tax -5,020 yen

July’s Rent -55,520 yen

Move-in Costs (payment 2 of 2) -82,970yen

Koyo Hoken (unemployment insurance) -1,050 yen

Total -144,560 yen

Total Salary Paid 65,440yen

[COLOR=black][FONT=Calibri]Dear ALTs,

Good afternoon!
As you know, we have been in touch with your school to tell them you will not be able to go in on Monday for a personal reason. Please make sure you keep your explanation as simple as that, “a personal reason,” if anyone asks. I doubt anyone will ask, but it is important that you do not talk about your situation with anyone.
At the Tokyo office you can pick up your CoE and take it to immigration. You will likely have to return to immigration after a week or two. They will send you a post card to let you know the visa is ready to be picked up. Let us know when that date is and we will work something out with your school again so you can be absent with no problems. On the rare occasion they will issue the visa on the same day, but it is not very common at all. Good luck though, that would be very lucky and convenient for you. Fingers crossed!

1. Please go to the Tokyo office on Monday (April 23) by 9am. The person you need to speak to will be at the office at 9am (not 8, like I may have told you already, sorry about that!).
2. Immigration has some crazy hours, for example they close at…… for lunch and then close at 4pm for the rest of the afternoon. Not very convenient, especially for a place that gets very busy at times, so please get there early.
3. Make sure you bring your PASSPORT!
4. Directions to the Tokyo office are below and a map is attached to this email.

To the Tokyo office:
Please make your way to Nishi Waseda station on the Fukutoshin line (Tokyo Metro Subway). At Nishi Waseda station, take exit 3. Follow the signs towards Shinjuku Cosmic Sports Center. You will go up one escalator, then turn right and take another escalator up to the street (do not go straight up the second escalator in front of you or you will come out inside the University campus). Once you get to the main street, turn right. You will pass Nishi Waseda University and Shinjuku Cosmic Sports Center. When you reach an intersection where a Sunkus convenience store is located, please cross the street toward Sunkus. Our office is located on the 10th floor of the building that is connected directly to the right of the Sunkus If you reach the Lawson 100 convenience store, you have gone too far. At the glass door please press '1001' and someone will buzz you up. When you exit the elevator on the 10th floor, the front door to the office is directly opposite on the left. Please ring the doorbell on arrival. It takes about 5 minutes after exiting the station to walk here. I have attached a map to this e-mail for you to refer to as well.

Please don’t say anything to immigration about working. They will also probably ask no questions, but if they do just tell them you have been doing tourist things until now and will start your job after your visa is issued.

If you have any questions about this process, please ask the staff at the Tokyo office on Monday morning.

Have a good weekend, I look forward to hearing how things go on Monday!

mteacher80
September 11th, 2012, 05:44
That is awesome!

we should all contact her and tell her what we think!

MJN
September 11th, 2012, 09:58
"Please make sure you keep your explanation as simple as that, “a personal reason,” if anyone asks."

Sorry, but if my BOE or supervisor asked me to do that, I'd be screaming from the rooftops I was asked to do that. Maybe I'm paranoid, though, because I've had my BOE try and fail to pull some odd stuff on me in the past.

Jiggit
September 11th, 2012, 21:10
"Please make sure you keep your explanation as simple as that, “a personal reason,” if anyone asks."

Sorry, but if my BOE or supervisor asked me to do that, I'd be screaming from the rooftops I was asked to do that. Maybe I'm paranoid, though, because I've had my BOE try and fail to pull some odd stuff on me in the past.

Your reading comprehension is at an all time low.

MJN
September 11th, 2012, 22:47
Your reading comprehension is at an all time low.

Oh dear lord and saviour, please enlighten me on where I veered from the path.

Jiggit
September 11th, 2012, 23:06
He's supposed to be lying to his BoE and supervisor for one.

For two shouting from the rooftops about how you tricked your way into Japan and don't have a work visa seems a little silly.