PDA

View Full Version : debate contest???///

kamukamuume
March 16th, 2009, 18:50
So I have a couple first year (soon to be second year) SHS students, and I've been asked to help them get ready for a debate contest.

I kinda thought these kids would have some material ready and we'd iron out the kinks and help them with enunciation and stuff, but these students are really at square one--they aren't even sure what the topic is going to be.

does anyone have experience in something like this? so far I've taught them a basic debate format and a couple pointers on how to respond to a point, but I really have little idea how this thing is going to play out.

I think I have 2 or 3 more sessions with them, so if y'all have any pointers or things it'd be helpful to address, yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

JackAttack
March 16th, 2009, 20:03
I just finished my debate contest!

I got a file with some debate games. My favorite is the balloon game where you put the kids in about groups of 6 and give them each a position (someone famous or a job like a teacher, doctor, etc). The idea is that there are too many people on the balloon so someone has to go. They then have to come up with 3 reasons why they shouldn't be thrown off. Good practice for introductions. Should take the entire class to play this game....

Another one was called "I completely disagree with you". You start with a statement like "Cats are the best pets" and go down the line with each student saying something to disagree with the other.

I found that my students wrote really well constructive speeches and by the actual contest, had really polished them well. They kinda struggled with questions and answers. The teams that were best prepared and knew their material well performed the best so if you can stress the importance of that... We also had weeks of practice debates so the kids were drilled over and over and eventually showed some improvement. They were kinda really thrown into it so I think some games and activities to get their minds moving would help.

kamukamuume
March 16th, 2009, 21:16
I just finished my debate contest!

I got a file with some debate games. My favorite is the balloon game where you put the kids in about groups of 6 and give them each a position (someone famous or a job like a teacher, doctor, etc). The idea is that there are too many people on the balloon so someone has to go. They then have to come up with 3 reasons why they shouldn't be thrown off. Good practice for introductions. Should take the entire class to play this game....

Another one was called "I completely disagree with you". You start with a statement like "Cats are the best pets" and go down the line with each student saying something to disagree with the other.

I found that my students wrote really well constructive speeches and by the actual contest, had really polished them well. They kinda struggled with questions and answers. The teams that were best prepared and knew their material well performed the best so if you can stress the importance of that... We also had weeks of practice debates so the kids were drilled over and over and eventually showed some improvement. They were kinda really thrown into it so I think some games and activities to get their minds moving would help.

Well then. It sounds like I should have been working with these kids for quite a bit longer. I was told about the debate contest last Friday and scheduled after school meetings every day this week, but these are kids in a class I've never taught before, so I'm basically sitting down with little aliens.

I think the stuff I was doing with them today went way over their heads, and I was trying to help them think of specific argument for the topic they told me might appear. I guess for day 2, more basic argument/refutation exercises might be good, along with some helpful phrases.

Thanks for your tips, Ms. Attack.