PDA

View Full Version : Formal Training

feenix
May 14th, 2004, 01:27
For those who have gone the Eikawa route, could you tell me if it helped to have a background in teaching (i.e., a credential or formal training). I am considering a credential program in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) but am not sure of the benefits. Thanks for any advice or comments!

Dynamis
May 14th, 2004, 05:23
There are only really two qualifications that are respected in the TEFL industy.

The Trinity TESOL Certificate
The Cambridge CELTA Certificate

The are both 4 - 6 weeks full time. The diploma versions of those courses (several months to a year full time) are the minimum requirement to teach in the respected British Council language schools.

That said, even a weekend course is probably better than nowt!

Matt

AtomicYak
May 14th, 2004, 15:28
I'm naked of any formal education in teaching english.

So I'm no help.

Maybe I shouldn't have even replied.

I tried to help.
sorry.

feenix
May 15th, 2004, 03:18
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do some research to find out if there are any companies outside of the U.K. that supply TEFL services and what credentials that they honor. Of course, I wouldn't mind a brief vacation in the U.K. to study in one of the programs you've listed! By the way, how long does it take to complete one of these programs?

philmine1
May 15th, 2004, 03:51
You can do a Trinity Cert or CELTA in 4 weeks but from what I hear, they are the most intense 4 weeks of your life!

Most Eikaiwas don't require any you to do a TEFL (altho they say they prefer it), but it is useful if you wanna go private or teach in other countries.

Phil

Dynamis
May 16th, 2004, 05:28
Both the above qualifications are available worldwide. They just happen to be accredited by British universities. The language / spelling taught is International/American english, since this is the most frequently required. Of course that doesnt stop you from teaching British spellings as well.

Matt

JenrYOKO
May 17th, 2004, 13:10
My hubby works for Berlitz, but he doesn't have any of the TEFL qualifications above. He studied Economics in college, and since Berlitz is mostly a business English school, they wanted him for that knowledge. If you studied business/economics, Eikaiwas will be interested in you even without teaching experience!

Missy
May 19th, 2004, 13:02
My boyfriend just went through the hiring process for NOVA and AEON. For NOVA, it was in the contract that if he was TESOL certified he would get paid more money. As it turns out, he is going to get take a TESOL course, and is accepting a job with AEON. Right now I am not sure if AEON offers any more money etc with the certification.

Nic