PDA

View Full Version : Shapes in Japanese

jonesinjapan
March 25th, 2009, 08:29
Yesterday I was doing a great job in Japanese class and was having a blast, we then had a verbal test and a part of it was to draw what they were saying, then it hit me, I do not know my shapes in Japanese, I understood 円as circle but that was about it.

I know its normally something we dont have to worry about when speaking Japanese but can anyone help me with a list of shape vocab that I can memorize?

UPGRAYEDD
March 25th, 2009, 09:01
丸 (maru) - is also circle.
正方形 (sei hou kei) - Square
長方形 (chou hou kei) - Rectangle
三角形 (san kaku kei) - Triangle

Those are kind of easy to remember.

For more complicated shapes you can increase the #角形. 五角形 (pentagon), 六角形 (hexagon), 八角形 (octagon).

mattyjaddy
March 25th, 2009, 19:16
I've always heard 四角(しかく) for square. Maybe it's colloquial or something. In general, I think the shapes as listed by UPGRAYEDD are more formal, perhaps the standard. In conversation, for instance, 三角形 is shortened to 三角(さんかく). You can find the standard words in things like product descriptions (http://www.wingsr.com/wing190.html) and perhaps textbooks.

You might also want to know ハート - heart. You can also hear サークル - circle, but not too often.

I suggest checking out a 100 yen shop for kids workbooks on shapes and stuff. It can be a good place for that kind of vocab in context. No kanji, but establishing the vocab first can make adding the kanji later easier.

AliDimayev
March 25th, 2009, 21:47
It's like who actually sais triangular prism in everyday speech in english?

Levi
March 17th, 2010, 20:13
many times i thought how they write these words
they are too tough to make
he heh e

Crab
March 17th, 2010, 21:35
...What?

jandek
March 18th, 2010, 08:49
Levi, many times i too have tried to write these words, and have failed because they were too tough to make.

this is how we roll in elementary:

円  - まる/えん - circle
長円 - ながまる - ellipse
半月 - はんげつ - semicircle
三角 - さんかく - triangle
四角 - しかく - any sort of quadrilateral, but mostly a square.

brettlee
April 10th, 2010, 14:44
nice...........