PDA

View Full Version : Kids' books

JehuLove
March 31st, 2009, 04:31
I keep hearing that the best way to get more comfortable with Japanese is to read it- I'm a 2009 hopeful working in a bookstore, so I can order pretty much anything. What are some halfway entertaining, extra-low-level Japanese kids' books I might want to check out?

JehuLove
March 31st, 2009, 04:36
I guess I should note, my only Japanese experience consists of memorizing 48 hiragana characters and doing 20-30 lessons on the Nintendo DS My Japanese Coach. :)

But I'm up for a challenge!

GoddessCarlie
March 31st, 2009, 07:47
I like these: http://www.thejapanshop.com/home.php?cat=344
When I was first starting learning Japanese, the first book was really easy, but the last book (in the first box) was really hard, so it was great to "grow" with the books if that makes sense.

JehuLove
March 31st, 2009, 07:52
That looks pretty rad- that kind of thing is definitely what I had in mind. Many thanks!

Claire D
April 6th, 2009, 12:50
while this is here. whats that book that i see floating about my schools about a wolf and his friend the fox. they've made tv shorts based on the books too. theyre easily my favourite looking kids books ive found since coming here.

vdog
April 7th, 2009, 02:37
I have a book full of Peanuts comic strips. The strip itself is "dubbed" (?) in Japanese, but it has the English underneath if you need it.

Wanderlust King
April 7th, 2009, 03:12
I just made a thread where I'll be posting transcriptions of all the children's books I have.

I use a lot of children's books that are published simultaneously in Japanese and English by a company called Kodansha International. They are mostly Japanese folk stories such as Momotaro, Moon Princess, Kintaro, etc. I like them, though the English translations are pretty bogus and made to rhyme.

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Momotaro-Kodansha-Bilingual-Childrens/dp/4770020988

JehuLove
April 7th, 2009, 17:18
Just saw all these responses... Thanks for the suggestions- I'll definitely be checking these out.

katsudon
April 8th, 2009, 08:35
once you get a little higher level switch to Doraemon Gakushuu manga.