PDA

View Full Version : New Moderator

Trivial
April 6th, 2009, 19:08
After much careful consideration, Sciby and I have chosen a new moderator for the Applying forum. They will be posting under the name Azrael, as they wish to remain anonymous. Azrael's been posting here for a while under a different name, and I'm sure they'll do a great job.

So stop by and say "Hi" to your new lord and master.

Ini
April 6th, 2009, 19:17
Listen to me very carefully. There are three ways of doing things around here: the right way, the wrong way, or the way that I do it.
http://graneyandthepig.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/rosenthaldeniro.jpg

Neb
April 6th, 2009, 19:26
anonymous eh.. well you peaked my interest

Saitaman
April 6th, 2009, 23:49
Im guessing you are not Flaghag.

Eira
April 6th, 2009, 23:57
I'm going to say DPV.

Saitaman
April 6th, 2009, 23:59
I doubt it.

paule
April 6th, 2009, 23:59
lol

AliDimayev
April 7th, 2009, 00:02
Has ini died?

Saitaman
April 7th, 2009, 00:04
Seems like it.

vdog
April 7th, 2009, 00:41
So will Azrael be the only account you post under from now on?

houk
April 7th, 2009, 02:25
So will Azrael be the only account you post under from now on?
im curious about this as well

fidelity
April 7th, 2009, 02:42
Azrael?
http://z.hubpages.com/u/73420_f260.jpg

Eira
April 7th, 2009, 02:51
I would assume if it's someone that posts regularly, they will still use their other name as well so they don't draw attention to them no longer posting.

vdog
April 7th, 2009, 04:39
But how would they moderate themselves? :-p

fidelity
April 7th, 2009, 04:48
Don't worry, DPV behaves in Applying. He's said before he thinks it's important to keep it friendly here.

Eira
April 7th, 2009, 04:57
I think that whoever it is would have to be responsible enough to use their judgement when moderating anyone. I don't think Trivial & co would choose someone they couldn't trust to be fair.

Langus
April 7th, 2009, 05:10
I think it's DPV too :D Fine by me!

theNorth
April 7th, 2009, 06:29
Sounds like an account for multiple users to use for modding when needed.:|

p.s Hello.
Bye.

dombay
April 7th, 2009, 07:37
But how would they moderate themselves? :-p

I do that. :011:

hayashirice03
April 7th, 2009, 07:43
Hi Azrael :)

Hive
April 7th, 2009, 08:28
it could be Puma!

cm2jr4
April 7th, 2009, 08:31
isnt Azrael the guy who does gaijin smash.:lol:

Saitaman
April 7th, 2009, 08:59
Hi Azrael :)

Arzael is someone else on this forum, so quit sucking up!

Eira
April 7th, 2009, 08:59
Is it you, Saitaman?

Neb
April 7th, 2009, 09:09
this azrael fellow is smart, only using the mod account for modding, otherwise we'd be able to make some sort of guess as to who he(or she) is (based on his posts, and the posts of his original account)...

AliDimayev
April 7th, 2009, 09:12
Man, I guess being a moderator is just a crapshoot. I am a moderator on another board and they say I am the best moderator they ever had.

Saitaman
April 7th, 2009, 09:17
Is it you, Saitaman?

no it isnt me. but its cool if you want to think so.

Mr. Plainview
April 7th, 2009, 10:29
Your new mod just deleted a few of my posts in the applying forum. (and they weren't even that bad) Guess you can put your crackpot conspiracy theories to rest now.

fidelity
April 7th, 2009, 10:31
Ah, but that's just what you'd do if you wanted to make us think it's someone else, isn't it?

Hive
April 7th, 2009, 10:37
Man, I guess being a moderator is just a crapshoot. I am a moderator on another board and they say I am the best moderator they ever had.

haha
don't start that again! XD

maidenindigo
April 7th, 2009, 10:38
haha
don't start that again! XD
You're just jealous he's one of the best moderators ever on the Internet.

southpaw
April 7th, 2009, 10:56
Is that like that old SNL Chris Kattan skit where he dressed up as a goth kid in a high-pitched voice: "I'm Azrael, the prince of daaarknessssss"

nothing123
April 7th, 2009, 11:00
If he's the iron fist we've been warned about then we can kiss goodbye to any of my posts in Applying.

vdog
April 7th, 2009, 11:30
Your new mod just deleted a few of my posts in the applying forum. (and they weren't even that bad) Guess you can put your crackpot conspiracy theories to rest now.

I wouldn't take it personally DPV, becoming a mod is probably a bit like going to prison. You gotta beat down someone the first day or all the other mods will make you their bitch

houk
April 7th, 2009, 12:32
I wouldn't take it personally DPV, becoming a mod is probably a bit like going to prison. You gotta beat down someone the first day or all the other mods will make you their bitch
also the food sucks and you only get to go outside for 1 hour a day

puma
April 7th, 2009, 12:47
it could be Puma!

Hmmmmmmm

Saitaman
April 7th, 2009, 12:55
Maybe DPV deleted some of his own post so you wouldnt think it was him...

Eira
April 7th, 2009, 13:00
That is what I was thinking.

I'm hoping Azrael gets drunk and accidentally announces who he is on the wrong name.

Langus
April 7th, 2009, 13:50

And people say you're a waste of internet space. How?! With posts such as this! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

puma
April 7th, 2009, 13:59
That is what I was thinking.

I'm hoping Azrael gets drunk and accidentally announces who he is on the wrong name.

I think it's a girl.

dombay
April 7th, 2009, 14:10
I think it's a girl.

I just hope s/he gets drunk.

I got the afternoon off and a had a couple of glasses of wine with lunch? My name is Dom. Does that help pass the time?

puma
April 7th, 2009, 14:11
How'd you get the afternoon off?

dombay
April 7th, 2009, 14:13
Daikyuu. And so I can go and look at the blossoms.

puma
April 7th, 2009, 14:15
Daikyuu. And so I can go and look at the blossoms.

They are quite splendid this week if I do say so myself.

kiwimusume
April 7th, 2009, 21:51

OK, I now officially love Ali. :p_cube:

Trivial
April 7th, 2009, 23:56
Yeah, that really was cute.

Saitaman
April 13th, 2009, 17:17
Okay, I think I know who it is, maybe. Should i say?

Paul
April 13th, 2009, 17:21
Maybe just send a PM to Sciby. He appears to be in the business of lettin the cat out of the bag recently.

nothing123
April 13th, 2009, 18:22
Maybe just send a PM to Sciby. He appears to be in the business of lettin the cat out of the bag recently.

I think you'll find he didn't, but thanks for confirming my suspicions. You're the most obvious poster when you try to troll forums, mainly due to your epic failure.

dombay
April 13th, 2009, 18:52
On topic pls.

nothing123
April 13th, 2009, 19:01
It is on topic though. On the topic of kek having a whinge.

On the topic of the thread? - Dom

Tarquin
April 13th, 2009, 21:33
I must say actually I dislike the opinion of having whoever it is anonymous, I can see why one might want to keep themselves out of drama etc. like we have seen in the past, but on the other hand surely moderators are in many ways a cornerstone of the community? I have a harder time listening to someone who I dont know than say any other prominent member simply because you get to know them personally on here.

Also if they are not anonymous they are not going to act like an asshat.

REVEAL YOURSELF

AliDimayev
April 13th, 2009, 21:35
It's Ini.

Saitaman
April 13th, 2009, 22:04
It's Ini.

lol, no it isn't him.

Trivial
April 14th, 2009, 14:40
I wonder if we can get a bookie to handle this stuff. FK would be a pretty good candidate -- I wouldn't want him coming after me with a lead pipe.

Ini
April 14th, 2009, 15:07
一万円 on it being kip

dombay
April 14th, 2009, 22:01
It's Moco.

wicket
April 15th, 2009, 00:54
you got a big mouth, dombay.

dombay
April 15th, 2009, 09:39
That's what all the boys down at Keikan 24 say too.

Trivial
April 15th, 2009, 12:58
It's Moco.

Shhh....

katsudon
April 17th, 2009, 11:29
I think having Azreal be an annonymous mod was a mistake. Also, Azreal tries too hard and fails.

Sciby
April 17th, 2009, 11:39
They're not anonymous - they're Azrael. Its really irrelevant who they are because they're moderating, not attempting to forge life-long friendships. Some mods like to do both, some don't. :)

katsudon
April 17th, 2009, 12:46
I feel like Azreal should avoid making so many non-mod posts then.

hence my placement.

They started off with Americans, after a few years someone screwed up so they switched to an Irish girl. She dropped out after a few months so then they black listed them and moved onto the Mormon Aussies

but big and tall shops aren't for people who are big or tall. Most the time they cater for short fat japanese people so for the shirts they keep the sleeve length the same but just add an extra 10 sq/m of material to the gut area

its a shoulder massager, what you deprived individuals do with it is between you and god.

Brazilians, Peruvians, Chinese, etc ruin everybodys JAPAN

I thought you were just a fan of shit aussie music?

hmWoBSM3al4

It's just, IMO, stupid.

Ini
April 17th, 2009, 12:50
Listen to me very carefully. There are three ways of doing things around here: the right way, the wrong way, or the way that I do it.

http://graneyandthepig.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/rosenthaldeniro.jpg

What part of this are you people having such a hard time understanding?

katsudon
April 17th, 2009, 12:56
:roll:

I roll my eyes at you.

AliDimayev
April 17th, 2009, 14:34
I thought Azrael is o nly for applying? That I can handle.

Wakatta
April 17th, 2009, 18:47
Policing "Applying" makes perfect sense to me.

But this other stuff? Particularly policies targeted at preventing critique of policies or admins? I've seen that tried on many an online environment. It doesn't usually end well.

Sciby
April 17th, 2009, 18:56
:roll:

I roll my eyes at you.

heh, you got a good laugh out of me for that. :)

Saitaman
April 17th, 2009, 23:42
That I can handle.

If he is going to be a complete ass and give out infractions for every silly little thing, it gets to the point where I dont know where the line is, which I have a problem with.

Trivial
April 17th, 2009, 23:57
Particularly policies targeted at preventing critique of policies or admins?

I think you misunderstand our intent. We have a lot of conversations with members on an individual basis that often need to remain confidential. It is much easier to enforce a blanket policy of "Don't divulge moderator PMs" than any other way.

We really aren't the gestapo or anything. I'm a pretty friendly guy as anyone who went to the o-rama will tell you. We're not in this to make money, or anything like that. There really is no "the man" (though I'd like to think so), and you'd probably be bored to tears if you could see what goes on in the Staff Forum.

That said, I've never done anything to discourage criticism. I think that, when used in a non-offensive manner (i.e. not breaking site rules to try and make a point), constructive criticism is one of the only ways that we can make things better around here.

So criticize away. Just be aware that you only have about 1/100th of the information that I do on exactly what's going on (and I don't mean that in an offensive way -- I quite literally have to know as much about the site as possible). I realize that you're trying to make the best judgment calls that you can based upon what you know about the site, but unfortunately, that's extremely limited, and easily excitable by hearsay, as shown today with the Puma situation.

So take a step back, check out what you REALLY know about what's going on versus what you are being told by people who have no idea what's happening, and realize that we're not really out to get anyone or create some sort of shadow government.

Trivial
April 18th, 2009, 00:02
If he is going to be a complete ass and give out infractions for every silly little thing, it gets to the point where I dont know where the line is, which I have a problem with.

I apologize; I meant to address this as well.

Azrael was well within his right to issue infractions here. He's making an attempt to make the Applying forum more useful by weeding out all of the off-topic banter in the forum. It wasn't the content of the post that was offensive, but rather the fact that you and a few others were derailing the thread with completely useless chitchat that was completely unrelated to the thread topic.

We're trying to make the Applying forum as useful as possible. It's not there for entertainment or idle talking -- that's what the off-topic forum is for. Basically, don't derail threads in the Applying forum and don't troll there and you won't have a problem with Az.

Saitaman
April 18th, 2009, 01:02
I apologize; I meant to address this as well.

Azrael was well within his right to issue infractions here. He's making an attempt to make the Applying forum more useful by weeding out all of the off-topic banter in the forum. It wasn't the content of the post that was offensive, but rather the fact that you and a few others were derailing the thread with completely useless chitchat that was completely unrelated to the thread topic.

We're trying to make the Applying forum as useful as possible. It's not there for entertainment or idle talking -- that's what the off-topic forum is for. Basically, don't derail threads in the Applying forum and don't troll there and you won't have a problem with Az.

Have you been getting a lot of complaints from people that there is too much clutter in that forum?

Assuming that it is a problem that people are really annoyed with (which, as far as I know, hasn’t been established), if you are going to 'weed out' the post that are not helpful and give the poster infractions so you have less clutter, you may get that but you're also going to have less helpful posts as well because people who may have something helpful to say just wont post there because they were offended by an infraction that was given for something lame. That is the trade off you're making, throwing out some of the babies with the bath water (or however the hell that saying goes). There must be more reasonable ways of doing it that won’t offend as many posters that may have helpful information. You’re a smart guy I think you can think of something.

Saitaman
April 18th, 2009, 02:19
Have you thought about splitting the applying forum into two? One for serious business (where Azrael can delete away when things get off topic) and the other for idle chitchat for applicants (that is monitored to prevent abuse but isn’t so worried about someone making a somewhat off topic post…Alternate Haiku contest (http://ithinkimlost.com/showthread.php?t=10841),and In Honor of Your Great Triumph (http://ithinkimlost.com/showthread.php?t=10811), would be examples of things that would go in the latter forum, maybe a more hesitant mod could regulate that forum). I think that might be the best way to manage things. You can have a more even enforcement of the rules that work better when there is a clear distinction between the two kinds of posts, instead of having the problem of having one forum and trying to have one set of rules for two different kinds of posts (where you are deleting haikus that are off topic), or having two sets of rules for two different kinds of posts in the same forum (where the distinction between the two kinds of threads is blurred or lost completely).

houk
April 18th, 2009, 02:32
maybe those posters should be reasonable themselves and not hold stupid grudges for the useless crap they posted? id rather not have the mods base their management decisions around making sure they don't offend the bratty, childish segment of the population

and there is nothing stopping the applicants from doing all the off-topic stuff in Anything Goes. I mean, that is the entire point. It's the off-topic forum. And it is not at all difficult to hit 20 posts

Saitaman
April 18th, 2009, 02:44
and there is nothing stopping the applicants from doing all the off-topic stuff in Anything Goes. I mean, that is the entire point. It's the off-topic forum. And it is not at all difficult to hit 20 posts

in that case they they should move about half of the threads in that forum into the anything goes forum, because " It's not there for entertainment or idle talking ". but I think my idea might be the best way to go, there has to be a little more protection for the applicants than what is provided in abything goes.

houk
April 18th, 2009, 03:59
there has to be a little more protection for the applicants than what is provided in abything goes.
why?

Ini
April 18th, 2009, 08:44
The applying forum is for people for are applying. If they choose to have a light hearted thread like the haiku one or the photo one I will allow it. What I wont allow is bored people coming in from AG and using the second post on a potentially useful thread about fingerprinting to talk about how they are getting pissed on red wine and eating imported cheese.

Its common sense people, If somebody asks a sensible question please help out the newbies by giving a sensible answer. If people are having a joke in the haiku thread then by all means join in.

Trivial
April 18th, 2009, 09:11
I have definitely considered variations on what you are proposing in the past Saitaman. We have decided to stop handing out infractions in Applying for unintentionally derailing threads unless people are consistently posting crap (Ali). As Az said though, the Applying forum is a protected zone for the newbies that is full of rainbows and green tea and onsen. If a thread falls within that range, as long as it isn't to make fun of the newbies, it's fine.

Basically, there's an officially endorsed double standard here. We will let the newbies make innocuous threads like the haiku one for the most part because it's their forum, but I don't want stuff that should be in anything goes to be brought over by anything goes posters. Make sense?

AliDimayev
April 18th, 2009, 09:30
What do chopsticks have to do with applying to JET?
And for the record. I did not even know some of my posts were being delted in Applied. If I had known, I would have ceased and desisted.

HeartNana
April 18th, 2009, 09:58
That's what happens when you average 33+ posts per day...

AliDimayev
April 18th, 2009, 09:59
That's what happens when you average 33+ posts per day...
Se queeta

Ini
April 18th, 2009, 10:00
Posting inflammatory comments (commonly referred to as "trolling"), except in the off-topic forum.

Posting irrelevant material to increase post count (commonly referred to as "padding") in any forum.

take your pick

AliDimayev
April 18th, 2009, 10:03
take your pick
Who is this post aimed at?

fidelity
April 18th, 2009, 12:46
The applying forum is for people for are applying. If they choose to have a light hearted thread like the haiku one or the photo one I will allow it. What I wont allow is bored people coming in from AG and using the second post on a potentially useful thread about fingerprinting to talk about how they are getting pissed on red wine and eating imported cheese.

Its common sense people, If somebody asks a sensible question please help out the newbies by giving a sensible answer. If people are having a joke in the haiku thread then by all means join in.

I agree that what you're saying is common sense when you step back and look at it as a pattern, applying a sort of categorical imperative of posting, but I think it can be difficult for people to evaluate their own behavior in the moment. A post that injects just a little silliness into a thread can lighten the mood up, or it can start a pattern where each post increases silliness and the thread is derailed (see the rural Hokkaido/Mukade Island thread for an example). It's easy to add that little post that takes things over the line without noticing what you're doing because it's just a small step from the previous.

It's a difficult line to draw, and a difficult one to administer, because usually it's not a very clear line. I think spelling things out as much as possible, as you've done here, is helpful. Some of us are very literal minded and like to compartmentalize things.

Ini
April 18th, 2009, 12:50
Also banning people turns me on and we're currently trying for a baby

Saitaman
April 18th, 2009, 13:32
Also banning people turns me on and we're currently trying for a baby

Inflatable dolls can’t have babies.

Ini
April 18th, 2009, 13:36
oh really? how else do you explain this?

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1096/109626/300_109626.jpg

Mr. Plainview
April 19th, 2009, 08:35
oh really? how else do you explain this?

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1096/109626/300_109626.jpg

Best JonBenet Ramsey allusion I've seen all week

AliDimayev
April 19th, 2009, 16:37
So what forums does Azrael mod?

He edied a post I made about books in the JET/ABOUT JET forum. He said I made a spelling mistake.

It was not intentional.

He did not tell me what spelling mistake.

So will I be banned for the bad spellings?

Ini
April 19th, 2009, 16:51
So what forums does Azrael mod?

Everything the light touches...

He edied a post I made about books in the JET/ABOUT JET forum. He said I made a spelling mistake.

It was not intentional.

It wasn't a spelling mistake, it was an entire post filled with incomprehensible gibberish. We all love your comedy aspergers routine, its an ITIL classic. Just try and remember to form coherent sentences when replying to the new people.

AliDimayev
April 19th, 2009, 16:53

It wasn't a spelling mistake, it was an entire post filled with incomprehensible gibberish. We all love your comedy aspergers routine, its an ITIL classic. Just try and remember to form coherent sentences when replying to the new people.

Oh, ok. There seems to have been some confusion. I thought you were talking about my post about buyi8ng books. That one is OK, isn't it? In any case, I will try my best in the Applying and JAPAN/JET forums.

And my Asparagus Routine is not a routine; it's me!

Saitaman
April 19th, 2009, 20:50

gibberish you say?

upi vsm lodd ,u sdd@

worse than that?

Tarquin
April 20th, 2009, 09:13
And my Asparagus Routine is not a routine; it's me!

Asparagus Routine. :D

Neb
April 20th, 2009, 12:36
http://www.floydthefoodguy.com/images/blog/grilled_asparagus.jpg
mm mmm

AliDimayev
April 20th, 2009, 14:02
For me, aspargus does make my urine smell.

FiercestCalm
April 22nd, 2009, 14:37
Probably he'll delete/edit this, but Azrael's pretty damn annoying. He seems to be editing Applying to just contain what HE wants it to contain, and not to the betterment of the board. Can we mod the mod?

Mr. Plainview
April 22nd, 2009, 14:48
Do you people believe me yet that it isn't me?

I can be a douche sometimes, but this guy's pro

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 14:49
He delted my post about DAKARA where I said you could translate it as ON ACCOUNTA. I find that strange on accounta on accounta does mean because.

Ini
April 22nd, 2009, 15:15
as soon as "accounta" becomes a word I'll be happy to restore your post

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 15:17
as soon as "accounta" becomes a word I'll be happy to restore your post
On account of

Powers
April 22nd, 2009, 18:15
No, you're not really a douche. We have much more professional douches than you.

Haha, DPV got deleted.

Wakatta
April 22nd, 2009, 19:30
Probably he'll delete/edit this, but Azrael's pretty damn annoying. He seems to be editing Applying to just contain what HE wants it to contain, and not to the betterment of the board. Can we mod the mod?

+1

If you want to remove off-topic posts or pictures of kittens being thrown into a wood chipper, okay, that's reasonable. Editing posts for spelling is just excessive.

This is getting out of "haha, new douchebag mod, lol" territory and into "seriously, cut it the fuck out".

Paul
April 25th, 2009, 10:39
+1

If you want to remove off-topic posts or pictures of kittens being thrown into a wood chipper, okay, that's reasonable. Editing posts for spelling is just excessive.

This is getting out of "haha, new douchebag mod, lol" territory and into "seriously, cut it the fuck out".

start your own forum if you don't like it

AliDimayev
April 25th, 2009, 10:41
start your own forum if you don't like it
And then sell it when you don't know how to play on the internet.

Paul
April 25th, 2009, 10:42
Yeap. $5000 buys a lot of beer.

Trivial
April 25th, 2009, 12:46
Moved all that shit to the Izakaya, continue discussion there.

mothy
April 25th, 2009, 12:57
I respectfully disagree with your decision.

ampersand
April 25th, 2009, 14:37
Yeap. $5000 buys a lot of beer.

Moved all that shit to the Izakaya, continue discussion there.Are you sure about that?

fidelity
May 19th, 2009, 10:47
Azrael seems to have been doing more "please stop discussing this here and move to a new thread / keep discussing this here to avoid cluttering other threads" lately. It is nice to have some clearer direction and it seems to be working pretty well (though obviously I don't see any deleted posts). Still allows a little OT and personality without getting too overwhelming. I like it.

Trivial
May 19th, 2009, 11:03
Thanks for the feedback. We all agreed to tone it down a bit, and it's worked quite well so far (with a few exceptions).

twiceinalifetime
May 19th, 2009, 11:44
Yep, loving the softer side of Az. Good call.