PDA

View Full Version : RCS Query...

IrelandCalling4
April 7th, 2009, 19:29
Greetings to one an' all,

So much reading to do on this site, so many posts^

I applied for JET, was selected as an Alternate, and am now panicking, as the plan to go to Japan with JET is one I immensely wanted. Now there is unsure-ness, waiting to see if I'll be UpGraded.

I've been reading here about all of these different agnecies; RCS, Altia, Aoen - if I may ask a quick question - are these all agencies that place you as an ALT, as oppsed to an english conversation school teacher? I chose JET in the first place as the gours are socialble, whereas the conversation schools seemed to have odd hours^

RCS - I've read plenty of posts about it here on this site, if I may ask - what exactly does RCS stand for? If anyone has a direct link to it's website, application process page, I would very much appreciate it.

I'm worried about applying too early or too late - as I won't know about any JET upgrade potentially for a month or more.

What should I do?

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated as I feel lost.

Many thanks from here in Ireland.

wicket
April 7th, 2009, 19:49
First, commiserations and congratulations. At least you're still in there with a chance. It's great that you're looking for alternatives though.
RCS stands for "Real communication solutions" and is a private company; however the job you would do would be very similar to being a JET - i.e. you would be a teacher in a public school.
Their website is:
http://www.rcs-ed.jp/en/index.html
Hope that helps. Apply for everything going and accept only that which is good enough for you!
Best of luck.

IrelandCalling4
April 7th, 2009, 19:57
Hi there Wicket,

Thank you so much for your reply, that is a great help,

To be honest, I don't know what to do. There are many and varied posts here about different schools - half say they're good, half say they're bad, it's incredibly difficult knowing which one to choose as I had only applied thus far to JET.

I can say it would definitely be an ALT I would be applying for, as they are sociable hours^ I don't wish to go the english conversation school route, as the hours are just not for me.

If I may ask - would yo uhave advice? IF I apply for RCS too early, or too late, it would be bad. If I applied too early - and they offered, what if the JET came back and upgraded me?

Would you think the application process for RCS takes weeks, or months?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts you have, much appreciated!

wicket
April 7th, 2009, 20:22
Tough one. I would say go ahead and apply anyway, even accept a job with them, but don't actually sign anything or get your visa through them until the last possible moment, if you really have your heart set on JET.
I wish I knew more about RCS, but I don't, sorry.
You could try reading about it over on gaijinpot.com maybe?

Andrew101
April 9th, 2009, 15:59
I applied for JET, was selected as an Alternate, and am now panicking, as the plan to go to Japan with JET is one I immensely wanted. Now there is unsure-ness, waiting to see if I'll be UpGraded.
Great that you're still in with a chance. But...

I was in the same boat a few years back. Waited till June, if I remember correctly, and was then told to funk off.

Totally gutting coz I had been in limbo for 3 months or so.

Obviously some people selected as "reserve candidates" or whatever will get in.

My advice though, is do what wicket is suggesting. Perhaps even go a stage further. Mentally prepare for being rejected and move on with your life. Then should you get rejected you won't feel like you've been wasting any time. On the other hand if you get accepted, it will be like good news out of the blue.

I've learned from experience that leaving your fate in other people's hands is not a good idea.

IrelandCalling4
April 9th, 2009, 17:29
Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your thoughts, I have a lot to think about!

The thing is deciding which alternative choice is best - as I have read good and bad things about seemingly all of the other dispatching agencies.

Atlia, Interac, maybe not RCS (as ideally I wish to be on the Osaka side of the country) - it's a very hard choice to make. Besides Atlia, Interac and RCS...am I missing other main agencies that supply ALT's? (as it is an ALT as oppsed to an english conversation school teacher I am hoping for)

Domo arigatou from here

taeko7
April 11th, 2009, 06:26
Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your thoughts, I have a lot to think about!

The thing is deciding which alternative choice is best - as I have read good and bad things about seemingly all of the other dispatching agencies.

Atlia, Interac, maybe not RCS (as ideally I wish to be on the Osaka side of the country) - it's a very hard choice to make. Besides Atlia, Interac and RCS...am I missing other main agencies that supply ALT's? (as it is an ALT as oppsed to an english conversation school teacher I am hoping for)

Domo arigatou from here

there is Heart English School , but they are really only in Kanto, kinda like RCS. I was looking into RCS and Heart because I want to be near or in Saitama.

Victorius~
April 11th, 2009, 10:13
there is Heart English School , but they are really only in Kanto, kinda like RCS. I was looking into RCS and Heart because I want to be near or in Saitama.

Kanto for me, too!
~
As far as JET is concerned, I just learned that there are a ton of people either living in Japan that applied or are re-upping their contracts, so this year is especially competitive. I was turned down, myself, probably because they didn't feel I would gain as much from an exchange as someone with less experience. I'm looking at everything else, atm, and although the $ isn't as good, RCS looks alright. I created an Interac
profile, too, just in case
:073: