PDA

View Full Version : JETAA Tokyo Job Fair 2009

UPGRAYEDD
April 8th, 2009, 10:33
June 20th

Linky - http://www.tokyojobfair.com/

katsudon
April 8th, 2009, 11:29
mmm...I'm on the fast track for year two at the moment, but you bet your biscuits I'll be there next year (unless I decide to delay real life YET ANOTHER year. Which will depend on so many undecided things as to make it wholly unpredictable at this juncture)

UPGRAYEDD
April 8th, 2009, 11:32
I'm going to go ahead and go to this even though I recontracted. Just want to see what's up.

I'm also going back to Tokyo the next weekend after this to take the GMAT and LSAT.

Then I have to pay shaken....arghh expensive.

UPGRAYEDD
April 8th, 2009, 11:32
Then JLPT in July.

katsudon
April 8th, 2009, 11:39
Mm yes. I would go. But it's the weekend of my birthday and I have not had a decent birthday party in MY LIFE and was planning on having one this year. Can't have a decent party if I go far away from all my friends.

Gusuke
April 8th, 2009, 11:54
I'll probably go to this

I Am Quailman
April 8th, 2009, 12:15
Have you guys made a Japanese resume before? What's the format exactly?

UPGRAYEDD
April 8th, 2009, 12:21
You buy them at the bookstore and fill them in. Or copy that format into word.

cvmurrieta
April 8th, 2009, 12:52
Thanks, UPGRAYEDD. I will definitely be going to this.

Much obliged!

Mike_Davis
April 8th, 2009, 13:40
Thanks for the link. Has anyone been before?

On Japanese resumes: here's some helpful advice.
http://madtokyo.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/rirekisho-1/

I Am Quailman
April 8th, 2009, 16:50
Mike Davis, you are a god among men! Thank you so much!

cvmurrieta
April 8th, 2009, 20:15
Thanks, UPGRAYEDD. You also helped people on the CIR Homepage.

UPGRAYEDD
April 8th, 2009, 21:14
I hope they don't steal our jobs.

I Am Quailman
April 8th, 2009, 21:26
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2fGl9587X8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2fGl9587X8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

UPGRAYEDD
April 8th, 2009, 21:27
exactly

cvmurrieta
April 9th, 2009, 10:42
I think a lot of the CIRs are renewing anyway. At least that is what I have read over on that board.

Hyakuman
April 9th, 2009, 10:56
Have you guys made a Japanese resume before? What's the format exactly?

You do realize that you have access to someone, name beginning with an "E" that you could ask to show you exactly how to write up a Japanese resume if you were interested.

That being said, there are countless resources on the interweb in japanese that show you exactly how to put one together, complete with examples and what-not.

Naturally tho, if you can't read the explanations, then you might as well not bother doing up a J-resume because you won't to be hired by most companies in Japan with substandard Japanese skills.

http://www.cngcms.com/

Hyakuman
April 9th, 2009, 11:01
Thanks for the link. Has anyone been before?

On Japanese resumes: here's some helpful advice.
http://madtokyo.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/rirekisho-1/

That's a pretty good link too!

Although, I disagree with his ixnay on the handwriting your resume comment. Multinational companies don't really care if you type it up, but most Japanese companies are still really stringent on having you write up your rirekisho by hand. This has been said by every Japanese recruiter and business skills workshop instructor I've talked with.

UPGRAYEDD
April 9th, 2009, 12:46
This is a job fair for ex-JETs only. I'm pretty sure the companies are only going to be wanting/expecting English standard resumes. I would carry a few back ups in Japanese though using the standard format but I don't think they expect anyone to come in with a dozen handwritten rirekishos.

But I've never done anything like this in Japan so I don't know what to expect.

kiwimusume
April 9th, 2009, 21:05
I just took a look at it and it looks a lot like the Daijob and Global Leader Navi job fairs recently, which I discovered pretty quickly aren't the place to go for the line of work I'm looking for. So I probably won't bother. I've found out about two monthly events that are more helpful for the industry I'm trying to get into, so I think I'll just stick to those.

Hyakuman
April 10th, 2009, 09:36
This is a job fair for ex-JETs only. I'm pretty sure the companies are only going to be wanting/expecting English standard resumes. I would carry a few back ups in Japanese though using the standard format but I don't think they expect anyone to come in with a dozen handwritten rirekishos.

But I've never done anything like this in Japan so I don't know what to expect.

I dunno, if they have anything like last year's lineup (ie. Toyota Heavy Industries, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Daiwa Securities, Deloitte, Mitsubishi Corp., etc.) then unless you're an ex-pat with 15 years experience in a related field, you're likely going to need excellent Japanese skills for any positions available -- especially entry-level stuff.

Musui
May 7th, 2009, 04:35
Hmm... their website has been completely deleted.

Did registrations fill up, or did they cancel the event?

Mike_Davis
May 7th, 2009, 11:19
They sent out a one sentence email a couple of days ago saying that this year's has been canceled.

As someone looking for a job...that's not a hopeful sign...

UPGRAYEDD
May 8th, 2009, 09:03
Well that sucks.

Neb
May 8th, 2009, 09:16
Canceling of a big job fair goes to show how bad the state of the economy is lol, they probably couldn't get enough sponsors since not enough job openings or something.

Gusuke
May 8th, 2009, 09:22
phew, now I don't feel so bad about dragging my feet in registering!

cvmurrieta
May 8th, 2009, 09:34
So much for JET being a big boost to one's career. With that said, I rely on ITIL more for my job search than on the CIR Homepage.

UPGRAYEDD
May 8th, 2009, 10:00
They took away the preference for JETs in the mext scholarship this year too.

suuucks

Hyakuman
May 8th, 2009, 11:52
So much for JET being a big boost to one's career. With that said, I rely on ITIL more for my job search than on the CIR Homepage.

The CIR Homepage is just bursting at the seams with FAIL.

UPGRAYEDD
May 8th, 2009, 13:45
I met the guy that organizes the fair. He pretty much told me all the jobs go to CIRs. They must be hurting now.

elleohelle
May 8th, 2009, 14:52
And a CIR position from ALT basically requires 1kyu right?

UPGRAYEDD
May 8th, 2009, 15:35
Depends on the prefecture but it is safe to say that going from ALT to CIR requires a lot more Japanese fluency than the typical CIR hiring process.

UK/EU Jobs for ex-JETs
May 11th, 2009, 22:02
Hi there,

I was at JETAA Tokyo Job fair in 2007 as a representative of Pasona. Pasona was a gold sponsor of the job fair in 2007 and 2008. I work for Pasona Europe (now known as Perfect Employment) and we are always interested in receiving resumes/CVs from ex JETS (ALT's and CIR's) who have the right to work in the UK or Europe.

If you have any questions about the job market here in the UK or Europe or would like some advice on looking for work after JET, then please get in contact.

Thanks!

melty
May 14th, 2009, 06:25
Canceling of a big job fair goes to show how bad the state of the economy is lol, they probably couldn't get enough sponsors since not enough job openings or something.

I saw this at lunch, and asked what happened during our JETaa meeting tonight. It sounds like it was not lack of sponsors tat stopped the event this year...

The bloke that runs it went a little mad and ran off to shikoku to do the 88 temple trail thing. He decided that the world is against him and didn't want to help ex JETs anymore.

If someone forwards me his ranting e-mail I will post it.

teth
May 14th, 2009, 12:53
I saw this at lunch, and asked what happened during our JETaa meeting tonight. It sounds like it was not lack of sponsors tat stopped the event this year...

The bloke that runs it went a little mad and ran off to shikoku to do the 88 temple trail thing. He decided that the world is against him and didn't want to help ex JETs anymore.

If someone forwards me his ranting e-mail I will post it.

Wait what?

There isn't anyone else that could've taken over?

melty
May 14th, 2009, 20:31
Deleted -- received a takedown notice from JETAA

melty
May 14th, 2009, 20:33

Hyakuman
May 18th, 2009, 09:36
Depends on the prefecture but it is safe to say that going from ALT to CIR requires a lot more Japanese fluency than the typical CIR hiring process.

Not neccessarily. Although you're probably required to do a lengthy translation with no dictionary and have your interview conducted in Japanese, it's not so different from applying as CIR.

UPGRAYEDD
May 18th, 2009, 12:54
Not neccessarily. Although you're probably required to do a lengthy translation with no dictionary and have your interview conducted in Japanese, it's not so different from applying as CIR.

Everyone I talked to who had transfered job types and had origionally applied as a CIR and was rejected the first time said to a person (5 duders/ettes from the CIR forum) that the interview and test in Japan was many, many, times harder than the one back home.

A quick glance at the CIR forum also lets you know that very few people had their CIR interview in all Japanese.

cvmurrieta
May 18th, 2009, 15:35
What Upgrayedd says. The first half of my interview was in Japanese; the latter half was in English.

I was bagging on the CIR Homepage earlier. But if it helps me get that sales job in Yokohama with a Hentai Doll manufacturer, then frequenting that site will have all been worth it!

melty
May 18th, 2009, 19:12
Everyone I talked to who had transfered job types and had origionally applied as a CIR and was rejected the first time said to a person (5 duders/ettes from the CIR forum) that the interview and test in Japan was many, many, times harder than the one back home.

A quick glance at the CIR forum also lets you know that very few people had their CIR interview in all Japanese.

It might also be that the interviews are harder now. My interview was completely in Japanese...plus a reading test...it was stressful, but the readings weren't crazily difficult.

BUT I was chatting to the lady in the British embassy last week, and she told me that the tests have got far more difficult in the last couple of years. maybe the interviews in Japan have been brought in line with that??

Kitchen
May 20th, 2009, 18:32
This shit just got weirder, did anyone else get the email with the groupstalking links at the bottom? check this out.

Neb
May 20th, 2009, 19:19
That is friggin weird.. :|

UPGRAYEDD
May 20th, 2009, 22:31
Wait someone break that down for me because I'm really confused.

melty
May 21st, 2009, 00:10
Wait someone break that down for me because I'm really confused.

me too!! The more I hear about this the more I am confused!!

One of the JETAA UK girls came over to do a presentation at the returners’ conference in March (I think it was in March! I might be wrong) She said that she was surprised by the negative reactions to JETAA by the JETs. She said a couple of people mentioned they didn’t want to join because it seems like a cult(!!)

I didn’t understand why at all…JETAA isn’t like that at all in the UK.
but seeing this e-mail sheds a little light on why they might have thought that!!

Kitchen
May 21st, 2009, 10:52
I am also looking for more answers/a better explanation as well. I talked to some other JET friends who got the email and they are also baffled. I also talked to another who is usually in the know and claimed it was legit. Although this same person was very brief with me cuz I caught them at a busy time.

If i find out more ill let ya know

Trivial
May 23rd, 2009, 18:32
I received takedown notices from JETAA for the e-mails. I know freedom of speech probably qualifies there, but they did create the e-mails, and therefore they are their property and I will respect that.

Neb
May 23rd, 2009, 18:52
As long as you know that you didn't have to, all is well.

Trivial
May 23rd, 2009, 21:35
That and I'd rather not deal with any bullshit. Pick your battles and all.

Ruairi
May 23rd, 2009, 21:37
This thread intrigues me.

Off-topic, Triv, good clubs in Tokyo. Pls share the info!

melty
May 23rd, 2009, 23:50
sorry if i got you in trouble for posting them.

It seems weird to send an e-mail to so many people then object to it being posted. meh. It is all pretty strange.

ChuChuRocket!
May 26th, 2009, 13:32
Man, I want to read!

UPGRAYEDD
May 26th, 2009, 13:58
You can read it on the cir forum

ChuChuRocket!
May 27th, 2009, 11:27
I read the first two emails, what a douche.

I woudl love to see his insane third email.

Whatever. People go crazy. Thats life.

Neb
May 27th, 2009, 11:28
I don't think that third email was from the same guy..