PDA

View Full Version : Hows this soudnd?

puma
April 9th, 2009, 10:52
Ima, gonin ga imasu kedo, mo hito onegaishimasu! Isshoni, takusan geemu o shitai yo! ESS kurabu wa meccha tanoshimi...kimasu!

I have to make a speech about ESS club next hour to the first year students. Other than a greeting, that's about all I have so far, would like to know if it sounds good but don't want to ask another teacher to edit it.

Anything else I can add to it?

jonesinjapan
April 9th, 2009, 11:22
I would suggest just using real simple english for your speech if you think about it the ones that would want to join have some understanding of the language and would be excited to actually hear something that they might know.

Atalante
April 9th, 2009, 11:29
What level school is this? It's not very good, but it sounds kind of cute so maybe it can work for JHS, I'd definitely brush it up if you're in SHS tho.

I'm not sure if I would suggest using English unless you're at a high-academic school.

puma
April 9th, 2009, 11:29
shs

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2009, 11:30
Please join our club. Let's learn English!

Hyakuman
April 9th, 2009, 11:35
I would change a few things, to make it a little cleaner....

Ima, gonin ga imasu kedo, motto takusan membaa ga hoshin desu! Mina de takusan geemu o shitain desu yo! ESS kurabu wa meccha tanoshii... kite kudasai!

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2009, 11:35
カナのほうが読みやすいね!

Hyakuman
April 9th, 2009, 11:38
GPP can't read kana, yes?

今、5人がいますけど、もっとたくさんメンバーがほしいんです!皆でたくさんゲームをしたいんですよ!
ESSクラブは楽しい。。。来てください!

Atalante
April 9th, 2009, 11:44
put "kantan" in front of "geemu". Maybe combine that with "tanoshimashou"

End it with "Zehi kite kudasai!"

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2009, 11:53
no need for kantan.

Atalante
April 9th, 2009, 12:09
Maybe it's different from your school, but I know that my kids had the idea that in order to join ESS, they have to have good English, they were really all nervous about joining at first since their English is really bad. The idea is just keep focusing that ESS is about having fun with English, and anyone can join and have fun.

This may be different in a high academic level, where the purpose is doing competitions and you need a high English ability. I get the feeling that the OPs situation isn't like that, though.

puma
April 9th, 2009, 12:42
thanks guys, it went well.

PS yes I can read hiragana and katakana, but its a lot faster to just type romaji. Also can read a fair bit of kanji too.

Oneiro
April 9th, 2009, 12:57
Yeah kedo sa, maji de romaji wo kakiyomu koto ga chou mendoukusai to omou ze.

puma
April 9th, 2009, 13:02
ehhh jikan ga nakatta

Atalante
April 9th, 2009, 13:46
I think it's faster to type in Japanese, and saves the headache of trying to decipher romanji characters. Ah well...

Hyakuman
April 9th, 2009, 15:53
I agree with Atalante.

Oneiro, you gotta stop hangin out with your bosazoku students! :P

AliDimayev
April 9th, 2009, 16:33
thanks guys, it went well.

PS yes I can read hiragana and katakana, but its a lot faster to just type romaji. Also can read a fair bit of kanji too.
Can you write them, though?

puma
April 9th, 2009, 16:50
hiragana and katakana, yes. typing kanji, sure. writing by hand? maybe 1/3-1/2 of what I know.

Oneiro
April 10th, 2009, 15:22
I agree with Atalante.

Oneiro, you gotta stop hangin out with your bosazoku students! :P

I intentionally wrote like that because godDAMN romaji is hard to read when you already know what words to "expect." It gets harder when dealing with unexpected vocabulary. Just like when my (soon-to-not-be-probably) Japanese tutor gets flustered on Skype, she starts typing to me in pure hiragana even though that's even harder for me to decipher than just throwing in some kanji that I might be able to at least understand.

Hyakuman
April 10th, 2009, 19:31
Yeah, reading romaji is such a pain in the ass.