PDA

View Full Version : Importing electronic dictionary into UK

Hikari
April 13th, 2009, 11:43
Hi,

I have two questions. I plan on buying an electronic dictionary to help with my studies. I can read kana and about 70-80 kanji but now want to try up the pace and reach intermediate standard.

I was thinking of buying from White Rabbit Press as I have heard good things about them, and also because I can't find any companies selling the dictionaries I want in the UK. I will probably go for the Casio EX-word XD-SW9400 (https://www.whiterabbitpress.com/product.php?productid=16620&cat=262&page=1&keep_https=yes) model (I did search previous threads but they seemed to be before the newer ones were out) or perhaps the 6700. However I just wanted to confirm that I could upgrade/add new dictionaries at a later date, i.e. if I wanted to improve my French/Italian/learn Chinese etc.

Secondly, has anyone had experience with UK Customs? I am not sure how much I can expect to pay in duty or how the process works.

Would be grateful if anyone can help, especially with regards to the second question. :) Many thanks.

Ini
April 13th, 2009, 11:59
http://casio.jp/exword/soft/

Heres a list of available software upgrades for it, there are a variety of french, spanish and chinese dictionaries.

saying that have you considered an ipod touch? There are some excellent dictionaries and flash card programs for it and it has more uses.

Tarquin
April 13th, 2009, 14:55
If you're serious then an ipod touch / iphone wont cut it, it makes a nice backup though or for when you dont want to take your dictionary around with you.

When I last bought an electronic dictionary and had it shipped to the UK I didnt have to pay anything on it. This was 3 years ago though, so things might have changed.

Hikari
April 14th, 2009, 01:42
I hadn't considered getting an Ipod touch, but then I wouldn't really use it as a phone so it's probably not a good idea. I already have a mobile/cell which is pay as you go which I hardly use.

However some of the dictionaries on the link you gave look ideal. Thanks. :)

BC- did your package get held by customs at all, when you didn't have to pay? I'm just worried because the pound is so sucky right now. I want to know whether I would have to pay 10%,20%,30% on the value. Grr, EC trade barriers. It's not as if its protecting EC trade - I can't find any other electronic dictionaries of this type within it. :(

Virus FM
April 23rd, 2009, 01:13
If you have a DS you should consider kanji sono mama rakubiki jiten. Don't discredit it because it's not a "real" denshi jishou. At roughly 25 pounds, it's an excellent next step from where you are now.

AliDimayev
April 23rd, 2009, 07:10
I have kanji sono mama rakubiki jiten. I think it is great. It has the Genius Dictionary loaded in it, which is a proper dictionary. I never quite understood the argument from people that it is not that good. You can write the kanji in, you can see English trasnlation or Japanese definitions. Plenty of example sentences, which I feel are very important.

I actually bought a DS specifically to get it. I also ended up getting some games too...

Virus FM
April 23rd, 2009, 09:14
I randomly stumbled upon an example sentence once that said something like "If you go to American be sure to protect yourself because of AIDS." I can't find it again no matter what I try.

But yeah, I think people look down on it because it's for the DS, so it's not "serious", but I'd take it over a lot of other jishous that cost hundreds of dollars. I mean, you could spend $300 on a dictionary that doesn't even have the write input.

Tarquin
April 23rd, 2009, 13:56
I mean, you could spend $300 on a dictionary that doesn't even have the write input.

You're paying for the other 98 odd dictionaries that are inside it too.

Atalante
May 1st, 2009, 15:44
I randomly stumbled upon an example sentence once that said something like "If you go to American be sure to protect yourself because of AIDS." I can't find it again no matter what I try.

But yeah, I think people look down on it because it's for the DS, so it's not "serious", but I'd take it over a lot of other jishous that cost hundreds of dollars. I mean, you could spend $300 on a dictionary that doesn't even have the write input.

Most people look down upon it because it's a pain to use compared to most featured dictionaries. I tried the DS game out and found it unintuitive, slow for typing, and difficult to jump around to different words.

Yeah, it's a dictionary, and it'll be fine if you don't mind the shortcomings, but I can't see anyone actually preferring it over a full electronic dictionary. The 3man or so it costs to buy is definitely worth it considering how much use you'll get out of it.

If you spend $300 on a dictionary without a writing pad, you got ripped off fierce, those are standard on even the low-entry dictionaries these days.

Hikari
May 4th, 2009, 02:55
Just to update, I don't have a DS so I didn't go for that option (though are there any good JP-related PSP games?). I bought a Casio ex-word 9400 which has turned out pretty neat and comprehensive. I also got an electronic version of the Kanji Learner's Dictionary as an add on for stroke order.

Oh, and I was lucky regarding tax! WR Press were pretty good about the labelling.

Thanks for all the advice.

wicket
May 4th, 2009, 03:47
atalante, which game did you try?
kakitori kanji kun saved my arse.
i bought a DS (well, was given one) in preference to an electronic dictionary, simply because you can do so many other things with it.
hope you're happy with your choice hikari - let us know how it goes - could be useful info. for 1st years.

Atalante
May 7th, 2009, 09:34
atalante, which game did you try?
kakitori kanji kun saved my arse.
i bought a DS (well, was given one) in preference to an electronic dictionary, simply because you can do so many other things with it.
hope you're happy with your choice hikari - let us know how it goes - could be useful info. for 1st years.

Oh, I won't speak bad for the Kanji learning software on the DS, some of those are fantastic and I still use them to this day to improve. I was referring to the dictionary software, I don't know the actual name but it isn't used for drilling or anything, just a straight dictionary.

I always see new JETs carry a DS with that software in hand to break out, and I'd say that the majority of those people who are serious about studying end up ditching the DS for something better within a few months.