PDA

View Full Version : Post here when you find out your Placement!

Petesmp
May 14th, 2004, 12:33
I figure we should just have one long running post of placement. You can post where you're from, what group you're in, and where your placement is. Also any other info you would like to include.

May 15th, 2004, 04:57
This didn't seem to catch on in the Kansai forum. Oh well. Add to this list when you are placed!

Official JET 2004 Placements

Gojo
Hannah

Gokasho
davisandra (Yahoo)

Ishibe-shi
Jun_Inohara (BD)

Kusatsu
AtomicYak (GEOS)

Otsu-shi
sweetbean

Ukiha
pantherabroad (BD)

Osaka
Paul

kiwi_mudpuppy
May 20th, 2004, 15:32
I just received a letter from the consulate (Christchurch, New Zealand), saying that I've been placed in Gifu city in Gifu-ken. Yaaaayy. My secound place choice, but thrilled anyway. I'm in Group B.

Cheers

Lisa
May 20th, 2004, 17:28
I just found out I've been placed in Tosu City, Saga Prefecture. It's nice to finally know that it's really happening!! :lol:

starnia
May 20th, 2004, 23:50
I just got the placement letter via email from the San Francisco Consulate.

Ishikawa-ken!!!

I know nothing about it, but considering I know nothing about Japan, I am not surprised!

Here is a copy of the letter I received:

We are pleased to inform you that we have just learned from Tokyo the area to which
you have been assigned. Although you will also soon receive this information by
mail, we wanted to let you know as soon as possible that your placement on the JET
Program will be:

Ishikawa-ken

(For your information, "ken" and "fu" mean prefecture, "shi" means city, "cho" and
"machi" mean town, "mura" and "son" mean village.)

Every effort was made to place you according to your requests and we hope that you
will be happy with this assignment. As it is impossible to change assignment
locations, unfortunately, withdrawal from the Program is your only option should you
find your placement to be unacceptable. Please note that withdrawal at this point,
without a justifiable reason (i.e., a family or medical emergency) will preclude the
possibility of re-applying for at least one year. We ask that you notify us
immediately if this should unfortunately be the case.

By mid-June, your contracting organization should send you a formal letter of
invitation and a copy of their "Terms and Conditions of Employment." If, for some
reason, you do not hear from your contracting organization by that time, please
contact us here at the Consulate. In addition, as mentioned above, our office will
soon send you a placement letter by mail, together with a number of other materials
including your 2004 General Information Handbook, language materials, and RSVP forms
for many of our upcoming orientations and workshops. Please keep an eye on your
mailbox for these important announcements to arrive soon!

As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to call me here at the Japan
Information Center at the number below. Good luck with your preparations!

Sincerely,
Andrew

-----
Andrew Lee
JET Program Coordinator
Japan Information Center
50 Fremont Street, Suite 2200
San Francisco, CA 94105
Phone: (415) 356-2462
FAX: (415) 777-0518
http://www.cgjsf.org/jet

Greggar
May 21st, 2004, 00:41
My wife and I just got notification of placement in Aichi-ken. :D

Genny
May 21st, 2004, 00:54
Well, I will be placed in Wakayama perfecture, don`t know the city town or village yet! Email me if you are going there too! I am from Canada and will be arriving in Japan July 25th, so if I arrive b4 you I can fill you in on anything you want!

kellicopter
May 21st, 2004, 05:47
ok/ ive been placed

kawashima-cho on tokushima ken on shikoku isalnd
any on ewith any information pls pls tell me everything u can

kell

llumynia
May 21st, 2004, 09:59
takatori-cho, nara-ken... yeaaahhh!! excited! Who's next!!

Kevin
May 21st, 2004, 11:40
I'm in Tottori prefecture. Seems pretty scenic. Not what I requested, but not bad either.

astra
May 21st, 2004, 13:21
Have been placed in Fukuchiyama, Kyoto prefecture!

frizbri
May 21st, 2004, 13:31
Been placed in Koshigaya-shi, Saitama-ken.

hik
May 21st, 2004, 14:22
I've been placed in Wakayama-ken, Susami-cho.

Interviewed in DC so I'll be flying in with Group B. My only request was rural so this seems to fit the bill.

--hikaru

Rox
May 21st, 2004, 15:56
I've been placed in Kumamoto-shi, Kumamoto-ken. My second choice, so I am pretty happy!

Shotokai
May 21st, 2004, 16:31
Stupid british system... :evil:

I emailed them yesterday, just to ask about it.

here's what i wrote

hi there.
I'm just wondering if you've heard anything about our placements yet.
the letter said May. I was curious, especially as I've heard on the
internet that other people know where they are going.
if you could offer some insights into this I would be grateful.
However if not then I'll wait, I also guess I'm not the first to ask this.

to which they replied

We are very sorry that the placements haven't be received by us yet, from Tokyo. As soon as they do come, we shall let candidates know. With regards to people who have already heard, since the only official confirmation comes from us, I wouldn't worry too much about it, because it means that what they have heard isn't confirmed. Therefore please be patient for the notification to come through from us and we are hoping that it wont be too much longer and that everyone will know by the end of next week.

Thank you

UK JET Programme

why do other countries send out letters before us huh? I'm so bored of waiting...revision is taking a huge back seat in my life at the moment.

shoto

WuTAN
May 21st, 2004, 20:06
I'm so jealous of you people >.<!

Sean
May 22nd, 2004, 02:45
I've been placed in Gunma-ken, Tomioka-shi. Anyone placed around there? Anyone know anything about Gunma or Tomioka?

mara
May 22nd, 2004, 03:35
Shiga-ken
Gokasho-cho

Now I'm waiting for more info from my pred.....

VinceXII
May 22nd, 2004, 06:21
A/S: 22/m
Group: B
Placement: Sashiki, Okinawa

Robert
May 22nd, 2004, 07:56
I just received word that I will be in Fukui-ken, working as a prefectural ALT. (I guess that means teaching in a high school.)

Anyone else in the area?

morikyd
May 22nd, 2004, 16:13
I'm with you Wutan! I am deeply, deeply jealous. Sigh.
More waiting...

Libbaq
May 22nd, 2004, 23:27
I have been placed in Nihonmatsu, Fukushima prefecture

yabighoor
May 22nd, 2004, 23:59
Sucky british system I want to know now!!!

campa86
May 23rd, 2004, 05:20
Toyama Perf.

Fukumitsu town,

ANY one else in Toyama??

Yakaji
May 24th, 2004, 12:37
A/S: 23/m
Group: A
Placement: Gifu-ken (undisclosed CoE)

ak
May 24th, 2004, 14:51
Hey, I am going to Nagasaki ken although no details as to where yet. I must say I was really shocked by this, although I knew I possibly wouldn't get any of my preferences (shizuoka and yamanashi), the thought never occurred to me that I might not be on Honshu!! So if anyone has visited Nagasaki or is going there and has some great things to say about it please let me know.
thanks

Alpot
May 24th, 2004, 16:12
Nagasaki is great!! I studied at Fukuoka Uni for a year, and had a few trips to Nagasaki. Obviously living there would be different, but it was my favourite place in Japan. It's hard to describe, but there's just something really special about the city, and the people. You'll absolutely love it I'm sure. Also the cake they eat there, castella, is gorgeous!!
Alex.

Lesley
May 24th, 2004, 16:53
Woohoo! I've got Nagasaki too!! :D

(I'm flying out in Group B)

Must go celebrate....

WuTAN
May 24th, 2004, 17:08
Lesley... did you get your placement info in the post??
I think you're the first person in the UK to get your placement!
Many congrats! If i didn't have an exam today, i would wait around at home for my placement info!

lorenzokenzo
May 24th, 2004, 17:14
Just got my placement! Wakayama....Kishigawa Town...now off to find out where that is..??

Alpot
May 24th, 2004, 17:55
In the post??!!! My postman should be here any minute, I might run down the street to meet him!!

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 18:08
A/S: 25/m
Group: A (I think, will double check later)
Placement: Hiroshima ken, don't know where exactly yet

Kat
May 24th, 2004, 18:17
Ok, maybe im being a whinging little cow, but, where the f*** am i going?!!!!??

Im in group B,
Going to Niigata pref..Some place called Asahi?!? ye what?!

Lots of skiing and snowboarding though, so i shouldnt compain, not that i can do either, but it'll be fun trying...

Jet damn you, this is no where near i asked for u bastards!! Ah well!

Please come and visit me people, im worried im gonna be alllll byyyyy myyyseelllfffff.... dont wanna beeeeeeee..you get the picture.

Kat
x

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 18:22
Don't worry, Kat, you'll be near people. Niigata sounds lovely and think of all the snow!

Kat
May 24th, 2004, 18:24
Lol Dob...now you're just being polite!!!

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 18:27
You can see right through me, Kat. Damn you!

joe
May 24th, 2004, 18:44
Kagoshima prefecture - group A from London

bring it on.

kellicopter
May 24th, 2004, 19:05
hay all

noel--what group are you in

dob--are you in group A coz so am I--yah

kat--damn it all to hell, we are not in the same group so no tokyo slamming togethere and we are placed no where near each other....well u had better come and spend lots of weekends with me and i will come stay with u...

congrats every one

kell

Dave
May 24th, 2004, 19:12
Well done everybody!
now.....someone tell me where I'm going....

Kat
May 24th, 2004, 19:16
I know, i know!!

Everyone seems to be everywhere but near me god dammit!!

Kel, we'll make up for lack of drinks in Tokyo, no worries. Ill make sure of it!

Some dude on BD has already told me that i've got me an apartment and stuff, didnt say much else though, hope they're all a good bunch..grrr!

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 19:17
Kell,

I think I'm in Group A too, but I need to actually read the letter first to check. My mum phoned me as I was walking into work so I haven't actually seen my placement details yet!

Am I anywhere near you!?! I'll have to check the map!
XXX

Lesley
May 24th, 2004, 19:47
Lesley... did you get your placement info in the post??
I think you're the first person in the UK to get your placement!
Many congrats! If i didn't have an exam today, i would wait around at home for my placement info!

:D Yes, I did but I think I was just the first to post because everyone should be receiving word in the UK today or tomorrow. I've been loitering around the post room here for days so they're probably celebrating my absence right now.

Congrats everyone! If you're coming in group B and heading out towards Kyushu (especially Nagasaki) let me know!

luke
May 24th, 2004, 19:51
The JET Lottery: Group A, (London), Tamayu town, Shimane...

none of which was requested, even the group!

so... anyone else going my way?

Luke

adammoogle
May 24th, 2004, 20:29
hey congrats everyone whose found out... :D

no mail for me as i'm at work but an email from the tottori alt advisor (sounds like a made up position if ever i heard one!) so I guess i'm heading there...gulp

am i near anyone at all??? apparently theres 32 new alts heading there so if your one of em, please be gentle with me! :wink:

Nienna
May 24th, 2004, 20:56
Hey all,

I got my placement details through today. (I'm in Scotland) I've been placed in Nagasaki prefecture, Shinuonome town. I didn't request anywhere in particular so I'm just relieved to find out I'm going somewhere! I haven't had the chance to look in to it yet, but am relieved to see some people on here mention Nagasaki. Any info anyone has would be most geratfully received. Oh and I'm group B

Good luck to everyone else!

Laura

Chiara
May 24th, 2004, 21:32
I

WANT

TO

KNOW

NOW

DAMNIT!

I've told my mummy that she has to go home from work early. Doubt that she will, but it's worth a try!

Nienna - are you sure you cant make it this Saturday? Looks like we'll have something to celebrate :)

Dynamis
May 24th, 2004, 21:58
FUK U OK A !!!

I know its been done before, but its funnier now thats where I'm going!!

Matt <---- Hyper

lorenzokenzo
May 24th, 2004, 22:05
Have been researching Wakayama and it looks lovely..

2/3 covered in trees, close to the beach with a few mountains and the birth place of soy sauce..

I'm in group B..which is great cause i get an extra week to sort myself out but a shame i'll not see those in group A in tokyo...dob and kel etc..

but if anyone wants to visit me and eat some soy sauce - let me know

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 22:13
That's a real shame, Noel. They're splitting up the veggies on purpose, the bastards!

I'm sure you'll have fun, though, and we'll get together many times in the future.

kellicopter
May 24th, 2004, 22:13
noel

we are an hour away from each other on the hydrofoil(some sort of boat)
cool

dob..u can get the hydrofoil to matsuyama(on shikoku)--An hour ride and then a 3hr train trip and then u will be at my house..hehe

so dinner at my house in mid august..hehe
kat u must come as well seeing as u are only freaking 12 hrs away from me.

all others welcome
im in tokushima on shikoku island
kell
noel--why are u not in group A
but u are in kats group which is cool

adammoogle
May 24th, 2004, 22:18
hmmmm, your seem good at this internet lark noel...help me out! i'm finding diddly squat :( although it seems i'm in deepest darkest inaka...

(insert ominous drum beat here)

am i near anyone on here, anyone at all???

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 22:21
dob..u can get the hydrofoil to matsuyama(on shikoku)--An hour ride and then a 3hr train trip and then u will be at my house..hehe

so dinner at my house in mid august..hehe

Kell,

You're scaring me now with all this laughter. What exactly do you have planned for when we arrive at your house? Will we be leaving intact? Will we actually be leaving AT ALL!?!?!?!?!?

Oh my god!!!

Kat
May 24th, 2004, 22:37
12 hours...hey, no probs, i'll cycle down then yeah?

Seriously, i cant find anything other than my town is obsessed with salmon. They have salmon freaking festivals to welcome the salmon, then dance with the salmon before eating it. Some funny shit, but dunno if that'll keep me entertained for a year!

Kell, hey least that lot are all round your way! Least i have mountains to ski on, not that i can, but i'll bloody well have to learn won't i!!

I'll bring some salmon daaawwwnn saaaaf for the BBQs you beach people will be having.

charliemac
May 24th, 2004, 22:38
Aomori-Ken, Shimoda-machi
Group B

Looking forward to it... oddly enough Aomori was my first pick though I wasn't really expecting to get it. I'm also a little worried about the 'strange Japanese' spoken in that area since I'm also wanting to become more fluent.

(I made my placement bold for other people like me who like to browse the posts first and read the relevants second :D)

lorenzokenzo
May 24th, 2004, 23:24
Hydrofoil sounds cool kel...my town is right on a river so might buy a little canoe and paddle on down...

Dobo, i think Tokyo is worried about too many vegetarians meeting up and starting a protest or something??

Right Adam I've done some research for you:

It is one of the most rural and least populated regions in Japan...but you are only 30 minutes from Osaka and Kyoto..

The Prefecture bird is the Mandarin duck

There are some amazing sand dunes which are like something from the middle east..so maybe u should think about getting a camel??

You also produce the best watermelons are pears in the whole of japan!

check out www.qsl.net/ah6hy/jetprogram.html

Right, this placement malarky aint very condusive for revision..

philmine1
May 25th, 2004, 01:20
Kat, I'll come to hang out with you, don't worry your little self.

BTW, I read that Melanwee is placed near you, give her a PM and you'll have a friend!

Chin up girly, at least you're going!

xxxxxxxxxxx

Kat
May 25th, 2004, 01:34
Knew i could count on you!! ;-)

philmine1
May 25th, 2004, 02:21
Knew i could count on you!! ;-)

Damn right Katto, we're together til the end baby.

BTW, Asahi is a lurvely J-beer so maybe you can get some practice in before I come and see you so you don't embarass yourself :wink:

Just think, in Inaka you'll be able to make a bigger impact. The people in your town are gonna be very fortunate to have the queen of the ALTs there :)

Phil (anything but revision)
xxxxxxxx

lorenzokenzo
May 25th, 2004, 02:22
Dont worry Kat..i have some good news..

I think Asahi is a major brand of beer brewed on a large scale in Asahi (funnily enough)..

I get soy sauce and you get beer..

who's laughing now?

adammoogle
May 25th, 2004, 02:39
Right Adam I've done some research for you

aaww, thanks noel! wasn't that more fun than revision?!?!?? :wink: :)

i'm home now and nothing from the postie about my placement just this random email...i thought i ticked that rural placement box on the app...what was i thinking!!! :roll:

(sound of hollow head hitting thick brick wall)

ah well, gunna enjoy the last of the sunshine with a beer and a book and hope i make some tottori friends quick...

It is one of the most rural and least populated regions in Japan

anyone would think they were ashamed of me or something...

Kat
May 25th, 2004, 02:40
wahey!!

well, i take it all back! You know, i thought I recognised the name!

The practice begins as of June 9th Phil, you can start as of Thursday, i know you need it ;-)

Nice Noel, well, get us with our cultural little towns, i can tell you're all gagging to visit me now! Be sure to bring some of that when u come to visit with the rest of the rabble...

Cheers boys, just the thought of living somewhere that has a beer related name can't be bad eh!??!

xxx

WuTAN
May 25th, 2004, 07:51
YAY! I got my placement info! I've been placed in Saitama-ken, just north of Tokyo! I wanted a location in central Japan, so I'm very pleased with my placement! :D
Anyone else based near me?

Petesmp
May 25th, 2004, 09:57
Gyoda, Siatama... my second choice, not bad (Saitama)

Leaving out of Detroit.

23/m... from Hamilton, Ohio.

Sky
May 25th, 2004, 10:25
I got placed in Fukushima.... never been there or heard much about it. But I am STOKED. I don't care if it's the most miserable place in Japan... gonna make good of it, have fun, learn to expand my world and who I am. Good luck to all of you !!! feel free to contact me if you are near! skygoing@hotmail.com

peace
SKY

PS anyone leaving from Boston?

felixthebrat
May 25th, 2004, 10:31
Going to Maebashi City in Gunma Prefecture. Supposedly, it's the greenest city in Japan, according to the website. Also, I hear it's also a notorious yakuza hangout, according to my uncle in Japan.

Right next door to you Sky. So far, I don't know anyone that will be in Gunma. If you do, let me know. Thanks! :wink:

besu
May 25th, 2004, 11:23
I have been placed in Takasaki city in Gunma. It's right next to Maebashi. I requested Maebashi, but I am happy I will be nearby. My host family from high school lived there, now I think it's just the father. It was only a three-week exchange but it was a great experience. I hope to be able to visit my host father often.

besu

Sinbad
May 25th, 2004, 17:42
Found out today I'm gonna be in Fukui prefecture, and in group B.

At first I was a little dissapointed, as I had put down Hokkaido, Nagano and anywhere in Tohoku for my 3 choices (mountains and snow is what I crave). However, Fukui does have some ski areas, and seems to be near the northern japanese alps, plus is only about an hour or two from Osaka and Kyoto.

On the downside, according to Hokkaido Highway Blues, Fukui is home to the rudest people in Japan, and the Prefectural Capital (Fukui City) is a bit of a slum, as it was heavily bombed during WW2, and then hit by an eathquake a little later.

If anybody can tell me more.. please do.

Bron
May 25th, 2004, 19:08
Hyogo-ken. No more specific details yet.
Group: B (depart July 31)

yabighoor
May 25th, 2004, 19:47
I want to know now!!!!!

Agh the waiting is driving me crazy :evil:

cottamg
May 25th, 2004, 20:15
Hyogo-ken. No more specific details yet.
Group: B (depart July 31)

Ditto, except I know I'm going to Yabu-shi in Hyogo-ken

(ken = prefecture, shi = city)

Sorcha
May 25th, 2004, 21:20
I am going to Aomori. That's all I know, anyone else going to be near?

candy4juju
May 25th, 2004, 23:37
i'm going to Aomori too Sorcha, placement in Aomori city I think (if I can trust my mother to read the letter correctly...) going out with group b from london

it's actually where i really wanted to go as i much prefer the cold, and I'm from the west country so its good they grow apples (I just have to convince them to make cider....)

:D me so happy!!! :D

Jonathan
May 25th, 2004, 23:47
Hiya

I received my letter today so I can safely say that I'm going to...

Minamitane, Tanegashima Island, Kagoshima prefecture

Group A

:)

Jonathan

xx

noelle
May 25th, 2004, 23:54
Found out today I'm gonna be in Fukui prefecture, and in group B.

On the downside, according to Hokkaido Highway Blues, Fukui is home to the rudest people in Japan, and the Prefectural Capital (Fukui City) is a bit of a slum, as it was heavily bombed during WW2, and then hit by an eathquake a little later.

If anybody can tell me more.. please do.

I just finished reading that book and thought he was hilarious!! I got placed in Nagasaki with my buddy so we're well pleased to be in the same area.

Lucy
May 26th, 2004, 03:23
No details, but Nagano prefecture, group A from London. Am I the only person going to this prefecture or something? I can't see anyone else with this down. :?:

Lucy

enrai
May 26th, 2004, 05:14
8) i'm going to FUKUOKA-KEN....details STILL not KNOWN :evil:
waiting for my pred to contact me!!! :roll:

dannoot
May 26th, 2004, 18:13
I'm going to Kubota Town in Saga prefecture. Haven't read of anyone else going to Saga so far... guess it's just little old me :?:

Dynamis
May 26th, 2004, 18:18
Thats ok, you can come and visit the Fukuoka posse!!

r_a_y
May 26th, 2004, 22:06
Miyagi-ken, Ogatsu-cho

:D :D :D

dannoot
May 26th, 2004, 22:16
Thanks, I sure will!

rocky_racoon
May 26th, 2004, 23:11
Miyagi prefecture/murata town.

Not a sniff of a mention in my rough guide except a map telling me its in eastern honshu.....feel free to contact me if your going my way.....

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 01:03
I'll be quite close Rocky (I think).

Iwate Prefecture. Just slightly north and east of you.

I'm Group A London, so it looks as if I'll be seeing you at the orientation!

C.

(Corrected typo)

yabighoor
May 27th, 2004, 01:06
Hey guys I'm going to Iwate prefecture in group B. Any one else around this area?

Ciara

Cornelius
May 27th, 2004, 01:59
Good catch. I'll just correct that now.

solacegirl
May 27th, 2004, 06:17
Mie Town, Oita Prefecture

Lisa
May 27th, 2004, 13:53
I'm going to Kubota Town in Saga prefecture. Haven't read of anyone else going to Saga so far... guess it's just little old me :?:
I'm going to Saga too!! I thought i was the only one, horray now there are 2 of us,anyone else... :?

Dave
May 27th, 2004, 22:53
well I've finally managed to get back onto the internet to research where I'm going....and I can't find anything! :evil: :roll: :( 8O

Anyway, I'm off to

Ninomiya Town
Tochigi prefecture.

think it's just north of Tokyo - anyone nearby?

morikyd
May 28th, 2004, 05:00
Hey Lucy,
No fear! I'll be in Nagano too, specifically in Shiojiri-shi. And there should be lots more of us coming out of the woodwork soon!

yabighoor
May 28th, 2004, 18:57
Going to: Osaka-fu
Group: B
Orientation: Edinburgh

woohoo! :lol:

Grat Paul, I'll see you there. Hope you're as nice as your pic!!!!

If not we'll all be sorely disappointed!! :lol:

snzuul
May 29th, 2004, 08:38
Yamagata-ken, Mikawa-machi
Group B (Portland, OR)

And I get a big 5-room house 8O , free mountain bike, and I'm teaching Kindergarten through Junior High.

I think I may have lucked out here :D

liquidnuance
May 29th, 2004, 09:53
I was placed in Hyogoken, but so far, I don't know the city/town. Does anyone else going to Hyogo know when we will know more details? Are we going to know our address before we leave?

Jenny from Seattle

Jay
May 30th, 2004, 08:13
Aomori ken, Aomori city.

Beq
May 30th, 2004, 17:23
Mie Town, Oita Prefecture

Where is this? I can't find it on my map at all. I'm in Oita prefecture, about 10k from Oita itself, by the looks of the map, Saganoseki-machi.

shmousie
June 3rd, 2004, 23:43
Seems like it's old news to most people by now, but I just found out yesterday, so . . .

A/S: 24/F
Departure group: A
Placement: Kobe city, Hyogo prefecture

Hooray!

Laura
June 5th, 2004, 22:41
Again, old news...

A/S: 20/F
Group B
Placement: Miki City, Hyogo

IowaJET
June 6th, 2004, 00:33
It's not old news...it's still very exciting. And you know your cities. I heard earlier, but I still only have a prefecture.

Laura
June 6th, 2004, 00:55
Hehe, that is true, I am excited. Just wondering whether everyone else is all that bothered about reading about something they went through weeks ago. :)

brooke
June 6th, 2004, 16:30
Placement: Kumamoto (don't know the city yet)
Group: A
Orientation: Houston, TX

colleenyb
June 8th, 2004, 03:14
USA- 22

Group B, Portland departure

Placement: Osaka-fu (don't know city yet)

Nikbot
June 10th, 2004, 12:25
Nik, 24, M (ore, not boku)
Brisbane, Australia (group B)
Osaka-shi, Osaka-fu (1st preference!)

Just found out yesterday.

Nikbot
June 10th, 2004, 15:56
Hikooki de ikimasen ka?

Cheapskates ...

My Japanese may well be totally wrong - I've never studied it in anything resembling a formal setting - but I was trying to say, "aren't we going by plane?"

topsterloin
June 10th, 2004, 17:05
matsue city...shimaneprefecture..sweet hookup; took long enough though (but realy just glad to have it, no complaints here)

WabiSabi-san
June 10th, 2004, 20:49
To: Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido (1st Choice)
A/S: 27/m

Grats to all! :mrgreen:

tvanhorne
June 11th, 2004, 03:11
Wakayama-ken, Tanabe-shi! Wakayama was my 1st or 2nd choice, so that's cool.

Going from Seattle, arrive Tokyo July 25.

lorenzokenzo, thanks for the information! Yes, if anyone in Japan wants to eat soy sauce, please come visit. You probably won't have enough where you live.

kellicopter, congrats on Tokushima! A killer city near buttloads of cool things to do. And supposed to have one of the most active AJET communities too.

Genny, find me in Tokyo and let's compare placements in Wakayama!

hik, where is Susami-cho?

and who was it going to Gifu? Lucky! It's a really nice city to live in.

good luck all!

yorkie
June 11th, 2004, 23:58
I'm in Yanai City, Yamaguchi Prefecture (in between Yamaguchi City and Hiroshima, train-wise!)

Anybody nearby...I don't wanna be by myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

professor_chimpenstein
June 12th, 2004, 00:14
nik, collenyb and Paul - Ill aslo be on your train - woo hoo

Or should I say choo choo!
:lol:
James

mistress_pooky
June 12th, 2004, 02:49
I've been lurking so much that I forgot to post! :lol:

Candace S.
@ BD: mistress_candace
Group A (from Chicago)
Yoshioka-machi, Gunma-ken

colleenyb
June 12th, 2004, 08:27
My Japanese may well be totally wrong - I've never studied it in anything resembling a formal setting - but I was trying to say, "aren't we going by plane?"

Nik, you sound disappointed that we're taking the bullet train?! Shit, we can take a plane anytime, but how often do you get to ride a bullet train? I'm stoked, personally. Not to mention it's $175 USD one way on the bullet train (I think that's about right), so if I ever plan on going back to Tokyo I'm going to have to be a real 'cheapskate' and take the overnight bus, which is $80USD. Oh well, at least trains to Kyoto, Kobe and Nara will be really cheap!

melississippii
June 24th, 2004, 07:15
Hi, I just joined the group. I'm going to Aichi! (No city or housing info yet...) Leaving from Detroit (group B). I studied Japanese in college (Arizona State) but have only had one class in the last 2 years and seem to have forgotten it all... yikes! It's nice to hear from other JETter's - I was beginning to feel so alone! See y'all in Tokyo...
:roll: -mel

JayDubya
June 25th, 2004, 21:06
Oops! Forgot to put mine up here...

Kitakyushu-shi, Fukuoka-ken.

There we are. Fantastic.

Heard it's not the best looking city in Japan but at least i'll be well placed to travel around a bit. Shinkansen rocks!

koaleia
June 27th, 2004, 02:44
22/F from Seattle... headed to Kumamoto City! :-)

Nikbot
June 28th, 2004, 01:52
Oh no, Colleen, I'm not actually disappointed. I was sarcastically calling them cheapskates. They spend an arseload of money on us bums. I was playing the role of the whiney JET who doesn't appreciate the sweet position he's in.

KellyEye
July 1st, 2004, 02:29
SENDAI-SHI! WOO WOO!

lilla_hallon
July 1st, 2004, 09:21
Specifically for KAT,
Niigata rocks! Is about 3 hours from Takasaki (in Gunma) by car, can be in Tokyo by train in 3 hours. You have an amazing festival off the coast on Sado Island in August (earth festival). You get beach, mountains... are close to both Tokyo and Nagano

Am actually really jealous! Niigata is awesome. And Asahi is close to Naeba, one of the most famous ski/board mountains in Japan.

Plus Niigata has a lot of JETs.

puppyguitar
July 2nd, 2004, 07:56
Hyogo-ken, Nishinomiya-shi. I've never been to Nishinomiya, but I love most of the surrounding cities, so I'm optimistic.

cottamg
July 2nd, 2004, 14:57
Hyogo-ken, Nishinomiya-shi. I've never been to Nishinomiya, but I love most of the surrounding cities, so I'm optimistic.

You are so lucky! (Nishinomiya was where I requested placement, but I'm incredibly happy where I'm going now!)

Nishinomiya will be great! You'll love it.

Gareth

Bron
July 2nd, 2004, 18:39
Shioya, Ako City, south-western Hyogo.

professor_chimpenstein
July 2nd, 2004, 19:35
Just spotted this one from a few posts back

Paul said

It should be "awww noooo".

Less of!

I know Im a postaholic on here but in real life Im actually fairly quiet (ish)

At least until I get to know you - then all this rubbish just starts to flood out of my mouth. (Not literally - Im not possessed)

Anyways There will be more than 4 of us and so maybe you could do shifts :lol:

Actually speakin of posting a hell of a lot - Its probably gonna end after today cos I gotta train up my replacement in work. ill only be able to post when Im on my dinner or at home.

dobharrison
July 10th, 2004, 02:56
Finally found out from my pred! Akifuchu High School, about 20 min bike ride from downtown Hiroshima!

It's not technically in Hiroshima City, but it's as close as! I'm really pleased because this means I've got my second choice placement.

IowaJET
July 10th, 2004, 07:27
I heard from my pred today (if anyone is still checking) I'm placed at the "Super English High School." Mito High School, in Mito-cho, Aichi-ken. I have a fifteen minute bikeride to work and the school provides and maintains my bike!

Dynamis
July 10th, 2004, 07:32
Cool! Do they oil the chain for you too? "super english" eh? Sounds like you've got some (comparatively) high level students then!

Good luck,

Matt

PS. We must play Go sometime! Ever play on the internet?

pantherabroad
July 16th, 2004, 02:55
I am new to the site but got placed 6 weeks ago. I will be in Ukiha-machi; Fukuoka-ken. Sweetness............... :D :wink:

Caru
July 19th, 2004, 07:21
Just got placed on Friday:
Group C (out of Chicago)
Niigata-ken, Arakawa-machi
It seems like a few of the Niigata people got apartments in a different town from their schools; I don't know anything about either schools or living arangements yet.

phill
July 19th, 2004, 08:38
Gunma-ken, Isesaki-shi
phill
ny, usa