PDA

View Full Version : ~ようとする ・ ~おうとする

I Am Quailman
April 14th, 2009, 13:31
I'm doing some translation work for my BOE and I'm just getting a giant brain fart when it comes to the potential for ~よう・~おう... the sentence:

赤いイノシシはますます怒り狂って彼に襲いかかろうとした。

襲いかかる(おそいかかる) means "to attack/to pounce on/to jump on".

... please help me!

kamukamuume
April 14th, 2009, 14:26
I think it implies a state of trying to do something, or setting about doing something. So maybe the wild boar got angry and prepared to pounce (on something).

mteacher80
April 14th, 2009, 14:38
yeah i would say something like "was going to, or was getting ready to attach him."

Delekii
April 14th, 2009, 14:42
Every example sentence I can find of ようとした is translated to 'tried to do'.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?10 = godly

ampersand
April 14th, 2009, 14:43
Volitional+とする is basically equivalent "try to ~".

"The red boar became increasingly enraged and tried to attack him."

Delekii
April 14th, 2009, 14:45
By the way. What kind of town do you live in to have red boars going around attacking people? :o

mteacher80
April 14th, 2009, 14:47
oh i got to translate bear sighs two years ago, and we dont really live that inaka here. for a while all the elementary school kids in the mountain schools would wear bells on their shoes so when they walked it would scare the bears away.

kamukamuume
April 14th, 2009, 14:49
I think sometimes it diverges a bit from a plain "try to," as in the sentence 帰ろうとした時、国際電話がかかってきました。

It sounds really stupid, but as it's とする attaching to a volitional form, I think of 帰ろうとしたところ as "the moment I was like, 'let's go home'" (to oneself in one's head). That could mean you tried to go home, you decided you'd head home, etc.

Hyakuman
April 14th, 2009, 15:07
Yeah, it means "try to do" but in the sense of physically attempting a task. Not the same as "I'm going to try hard" or "I'm going to try this shirt on".

ampersand
April 14th, 2009, 15:57
I think sometimes it diverges a bit from a plain "try to," as in the sentence 帰ろうとした時、国際電話がかかってきました。Just to be snotty: "[Right] when I tried to leave, an international call came in."

kamukamuume
April 14th, 2009, 18:47
Just to be snotty: "[right] when I tried to leave, an international call came in."

haha, yeah, fair enough. I do think of that "try" as a bit more figurative, though. technically, you could have just left.