PDA

View Full Version : Leavers - think about keeping your bank account

nicklar
April 14th, 2009, 23:41
If there is no ongoing cost,
if you have a friend who you can trust with your hanko,
if there is a chance you may return, and/or
you now have a 'connection' with a local ;)
- it may be an idea to keep your bank account open with a small amount of money in it.

I closed mine before leaving and have never been able to re-open one since as I have never re-established permanent residence there. I have some loose business links and visit regularly and it would be hell of a lot easier if I just had my own bank account. If you don't ever return you can just ask your friend to close it.

Just something to think about.

wicket
April 15th, 2009, 00:46
Yeah, but I heard that you can't get your pension refund if you still have an active bank account in Japan.
Is that lies?

Ini
April 15th, 2009, 09:17
it is indeed lies.

Paul
April 20th, 2009, 17:41
I would like to do this as well, but I'd like to know if someone has successfully got the pension refund while having an open bank account here.

Ini
April 20th, 2009, 19:11
yep, I know someone who left jet, went home for 2 weeks then came back to start a new job. They left their account open, kept their phone and car insurance contracts all running, all that jazz. They got their refund without any problems

Paul
April 20th, 2009, 19:54
I assume they still handed their gaijin card in at immigration/passport control on the way out?

Ini
April 20th, 2009, 19:58
yeah, gotta give that up, but they were moving to a new city so they had to get a new one anyway

wicket
April 21st, 2009, 03:46
damnit! too late for me, but good for others to know.

mteacher80
April 21st, 2009, 10:41
yeah thats another good thing about being married to a local, if i leave and hand over my card, i can get one back really easy when i get back.
i have two accounts open now at different banks anyway. one for my official work stuff and another just to have open. so it will be the one i dont close when i leave.

tedcase
May 11th, 2009, 00:21
Why would you ever want to come back here?