PDA

View Full Version : Going it alone...

Victorius~
April 21st, 2009, 07:47
... Rambo style!
I am seriously considering if I don't find somewhere to work around August that I will pack up and head over there with a tourist visa and look for work. I've talked to people I know in the field and with former experience, and they have mixed opinions. Half the time they say I should wait to find an eikawa and then switch if I need to, and half the time they say it will be easier to find work and that it's a solid idea.

Do you guys know someone crazy enough to have done this already? If so, how did they fare? Any other alternatives? I remember seeing somewhere on here that, per special request of some clause, you can change visa status without leaving the country. I'll tell you what I'm not gonna do, and that's sit around for the next JET application. I gotta get over there this year.

tenderRondo
April 21st, 2009, 08:39
I gotta get over there this year.

why?

Neb
April 21st, 2009, 09:13
heh, to be honest this was one of the alternatives i was considering if i didn't get into JET, but I just don't have the funds to live there for 2-3 months while looking for work, so that just wasn't an option for me....

Victorius~
April 21st, 2009, 09:21
why?

I've spent the last few years of my life dedicated to studying all things Japanese. I'm waaay to ambitious to waste that chillin' at home for any longer the the summer after I graduate. That's where I'm at right now. I got a couple buddies in the same situation. We just... we just have to get over there.

heh, to be honest this was one of the alternatives i was considering if i didn't get into JET, but I just don't have the funds to live there for 2-3 months while looking for work, so that just wasn't an option for me....

I'll be working from the end of May to save up money for the trip, so I should be set for a month at least. Who knows, if I have to I can postpone it a little, I guess, but I'm graduating in May and I can't spend any time wasting away in my hometown.

cvmurrieta
April 21st, 2009, 09:33
Victorious,

I reckon you have already checked out Dave's ESL Cafe and gaijinpot for opinions on this especially from Glenski.

Victorius~
April 21st, 2009, 11:04
Nope. Not at all. That's why I'm asking it here. I'll check those places out sometime tonight if I get the chance. As far as I can tell, there are a lot more positions for people already living in Japan than there are for people over in the States. I just figure it will increase my odds if I go over there.

AliDimayev
April 21st, 2009, 11:05
My advice. Give JET one more year.

Sun Kil Moon
April 21st, 2009, 11:43
If you are willing to take anywhere, there LOTS and LOTS of jobs still up on websites like Dave's ESL Cafe---you just risk getting into a crappy workplace

I am planning on going over and doing it semi-rambo style, IF my gf gets upgraded from alternate

If she does I'll give her a month to settle in, then stay with her and head out to find work each day.
There are also a couple jobs I found that deal with talking english on the phone/through msn...I might check them out for small cash

cvmurrieta
April 21st, 2009, 11:53
You might also check out www.jobsinjapan.com too

curtaineater
April 21st, 2009, 15:14
i'd totally do that phone job. if it doesnt pan out for you you should give me the info.

Choobear
April 21st, 2009, 15:25
I'm sort of doing that in a couple weeks, I'll be over in Japan doing a internship on a tourist visa (not getting paid) while waiting to see if I get upgraded by JET. I figure i'll wait a month before I seriously start looking for jobs and extend my stay an extra month if JET doesn't call me by July.

Victorius~
April 21st, 2009, 16:18
My advice. Give JET one more year.

No with the fiery passion of a thousand suns!!! No thank you.

Gusuke
April 21st, 2009, 16:28
I see good things happening out of this idea

Victorius~
April 21st, 2009, 17:18
Yeah, thanks, cvmurrieta. Those sites definitely have a lot of good opportunities. I will do my best to find something, but if it doesn't pan out I'll go solo.

I have a host-family over there who still likes me alright and a ton of friends going to school in Saitama. I could bounce around if need be, plus my favorite karaoke place only charges about $3/hr without nomihoudai, which is feasible for a terrible night's sleep (ノ´ー`*)ノ

Wakatta
April 21st, 2009, 17:39
You seem like a sincere young gentleman, so I'll refrain from questioning your burning passion to experience JAPAN. (Except slightly and implicitly, as I just did.)

If you are really, really keen on Japan, I might suggest picking up an eikaiwa or Interac ALT gig. (Man. Part of me dies every time I recommend Interac. As long as you bail on them partway through and say 'SO LONG SUCKERS' it will come back to life.) Meanwhile, hunt around as best you can. My impression, though, was that direct-hire arrangements are tricky unless you have prior experience and such.

Interac ALT and Eikaiwa jobs are not as nice as JET but certainly livable.

Victorius~
April 21st, 2009, 19:05
You seem like a sincere young gentleman, so I'll refrain from questioning your burning passion to experience JAPAN. (Except slightly and implicitly, as I just did.)

If you are really, really keen on Japan, I might suggest picking up an eikaiwa or Interac ALT gig. (Man. Part of me dies every time I recommend Interac. As long as you bail on them partway through and say 'SO LONG SUCKERS' it will come back to life.) Meanwhile, hunt around as best you can. My impression, though, was that direct-hire arrangements are tricky unless you have prior experience and such.

Interac ALT and Eikaiwa jobs are not as nice as JET but certainly livable.

Thank you, sir. Look, although a little crazy about it, I'm really serious about this. I've been studying Japanese for six years, I lived there for 4 months in Fall 2007 and studied at Tokyo International University (which has an awesome exchange program with my school), and I spent last summer teaching English in South Korea in various rural towns and government-sponsored summer camps. I'm an earnest individual who is looking for an opportunity to teach for the next few years, and I know in my heart-of-hearts that I have to be there this year.

I got turned down by JET which, although not the end of the world, came as a bit of a shock when I saw the people from my school who were accepted. All that means is that I am more free to work with a location, and I am trying to get work in Kanto. Saitama would be most preferable, but Chiba and Tokyo work, too, but I'd be willing to stretch it out further if need be.

I'm graduating in a month with a degree in Japanese Studies and I can't stand the thought of letting my years of hard work and hard-earned abilities waste away in the States. At first I considered South Korea as a back-up since I've been there and I would love to learn the language someday, but then something in me told me that Japan is where I need to be next. I know things will work out if I give it my all. Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride!

alanna
April 21st, 2009, 21:19
I'd agree with Ali and say give JET another go next year... but if you're really dead-set on being there this summer, then all the best of luck to you victorius and keep us posted on your adventure!

AKQJ10Please
April 21st, 2009, 21:22
I've spent the last few years of my life dedicated to studying all things Japanese. I'm waaay to ambitious to waste that chillin' at home for any longer the the summer after I graduate.

I'm graduating in a month with a degree in Japanese Studies and I can't stand the thought of letting my years of hard work and hard-earned abilities waste away in the States.

Your devotion to Japan touches me in a way that most women wouldn't dare, but I spent three years of my life studying human fossils and evolutionary biology, and you don't see me digging them up anywhere now. Instead, you see me passing around a fossil of dinosaur shit to a bunch of semi-interested, semi-disgusted high school students during introductory lessons.

Point being, since getting over to or studying Japan is more or less your end goal on your career path--and not the break from a real career that it is for most of us--why don't you actually consider other options or countries? Hell, broaden your horizons a little while you're at it--maybe bolster that "Japanese Studies" degree with some time in neighboring countries. Adds some meat to your resume. Then again, you could just want to come fritter away your youth like the most of us, in which case, pass the rum.

Saitaman
April 21st, 2009, 22:35
The economy in Japan was down 13% last quater, going it alone might be risky right now.

curtaineater
April 22nd, 2009, 06:11
maybe bolster that "Japanese Studies" degree with some time in neighboring countries. Adds some meat to your resume.

that doesnt make a lot of sense. wouldn't spending time in japan strengthen it much more than spending time somewhere else? if it was asian studies, it would be different.

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 06:59
Can someone explain to me why people dead-set on Japan non-chalantly say "I'll just go to South Korea, lol"?

THey are different countries.

No one says "I really wanted to live in France, but I couldn't find a job, so I'll just move to Italy, lol."

Victorius~
April 22nd, 2009, 07:14
I'd agree with Ali and say give JET another go next year... but if you're really dead-set on being there this summer, then all the best of luck to you victorius and keep us posted on your adventure!

Thanks for the support! Will do! Who knows, I may just end up working as a humdrum ALT, but it never hurts to be prepared to do whatever you have to for what you love.

Your devotion to Japan touches me in a way that most women wouldn't dare, but I spent three years of my life studying human fossils and evolutionary biology, and you don't see me digging them up anywhere now. Instead, you see me passing around a fossil of dinosaur shit to a bunch of semi-interested, semi-disgusted high school students during introductory lessons.

Point being, since getting over to or studying Japan is more or less your end goal on your career path--and not the break from a real career that it is for most of us--why don't you actually consider other options or countries? Hell, broaden your horizons a little while you're at it--maybe bolster that "Japanese Studies" degree with some time in neighboring countries. Adds some meat to your resume. Then again, you could just want to come fritter away your youth like the most of us, in which case, pass the rum.

Although I like the commentary, and am all for rum, I think I already stated that I know Japan is where I need to be. At least for the next little bit, anyway. I know I could take some time at home saving up some money, getting TESL certified, going through JET, sitting on my thumbs while the world is moving all around me, but there is nothing less appealing to me than being stuck in limbo when there are adventures to be had. And like I said, I will probably end up in South Korea again at some point, but my first destination is Japan.

The economy in Japan was down 13% last quater, going it alone might be risky right now.

And yet the yen is still stronger than the dollar. I know the global economy is rough, but I'm not gonna let that stop me. As long as I play my cards right I should be alright.

Victorius~
April 22nd, 2009, 07:32
Can someone explain to me why people dead-set on Japan non-chalantly say "I'll just go to South Korea, lol"?

No one says "I really wanted to live in France, but I couldn't find a job, so I'll just move to Italy, lol."

I am well aware of this. I actually lived in Chuncheon, South Korea this last summer. Well, I stayed in 6 different cities and towns during my time there, but I was based in Chuncheon, so I'm at least more aware of the culture than the average Joe.

And, I think you underestimate the will of people who want to be anywhere but where they are. Some people couldn't care less about where they find themselves as long as they could get away for a while. I'm not that guy, by any means, but for argument's sake.

privileged
April 22nd, 2009, 07:54
wanting to live in saitama is good job-wise. compared to tokyo anyway, seems like they always want ALTs up there. I agree with what Wakatta said, if you are considering coming over rambo style, might as well at least queue up a job with an eikaiwa or interac (and my soul death / re-birth opinions are exactly the same).

you mentioned more people seem to be hiring once you're in japan than from overseas. this may appear true at a glance but i would carefully consider why. in many cases employers state (or possibly assume) "being here" equates to having experience in japan and perhaps more importantly, a visa they will not have to sponsor...

Urthona
April 22nd, 2009, 08:32
I'm just going to say a few things.

This is an ass-backwards plan that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Coming to Japan on a tourist visa and changing it to a proper visa is, from what I understand, illegal or near impossible to do. At the same time, they are cracking down on illegal immigration in general and on the people that just happen to take a weekend trip to Korea when their tourist visa runs out.

I wouldn't trust any company that hires me with knowledge that I am here illegally. Most ALT/Eikaiwa positions aren't out to screw you over royally but if a company is hiring you in this climate with full knowledge that you are working under the table (presumably not paying taxes, limited access to healthcare, and whatnot) they can easily take advantage of you.

The positions that you see available are for people here legally. If you are looking for any non teaching job or nightlife job, you will need, at least, a 2-kyuu on the JLPT.

Also, the being in Japan as a homeless person just seems to be the icing on the cake. What company is going to hire someone without a fixed address, a phone number, and is here illegally?

Find a job overseas and come here. If it doesn't work out, look for a job here as then you are at least here legally and with some funds.

Victorius~
April 22nd, 2009, 08:48
What was ever illegal about my plans? I don't want to do anything illegal, I just want to find a job. Plus, I'm about JLPT 2, but I was hoping that would help me get a teaching job.

On the subject, where the hell are the companies that look for someone with decent Japanese skills as an asset instead of an added bonus? I busted my ass for these skills.

April 22nd, 2009, 08:52
I'm just a little curious, OP. You've studied Japanese for 6 years? Did you apply to JET as an ALT or a CIR? Applying as a CIR would help your cause more than applying as an ALT, IMHO.

Urthona
April 22nd, 2009, 09:00
What was ever illegal about my plans? I don't want to do anything illegal, I just want to find a job. Plus, I'm about JLPT 2, but I was hoping that would help me get a teaching job.

On the subject, where the hell are the companies that look for someone with decent Japanese skills as an asset instead of an added bonus? I busted my ass for these skills.

Temporary visitors are not allowed to engage in any paid activities.

Foreigners, who wish to work in Japan, need to get a work visa from a Japanese embassy or consulate outside of Japan in order to enter the country on a status of residence permitting work.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html

Your opening statement said that you plan on entering the country on a tourist visa. You are not legally allowed to work on said visa and you have to receive a work visa from outside of Japan. Unless there is a detail you are leaving out, your plan sounds legally questionable at best.

Victorius~
April 22nd, 2009, 09:00
I'm just a little curious, OP. You've studied Japanese for 6 years? Did you apply to JET as an ALT or a CIR? Applying as a CIR would help your cause more than applying as an ALT, IMHO.

I considered this, but they told us that if we applied for CIR and failed we couldn't make ALT (which is not actually the case, but I didn't find out until later). Also, after my experience in South Korea I decided I wanted to teach, not just work over there. That's why I applied as an ALT. I figured being qualified for CIR should give me a boost for ALT, but somehow I was wrong.

Victorius~
April 22nd, 2009, 09:07
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html
Your opening statement said that you plan on entering the country on a tourist visa. You are not legally allowed to work on said visa and you have to receive a work visa from outside of Japan. Unless there is a detail you are leaving out, your plan sounds legally questionable at best.

One, you sound strangely like you're judging me, and two:

... I remember seeing somewhere on here that, per special request of some clause, you can change visa status without leaving the country.

I don't plan on being an American illegal by any means.

cvmurrieta
April 22nd, 2009, 09:56
Yeah, thanks, cvmurrieta. Those sites definitely have a lot of good opportunities. I will do my best to find something, but if it doesn't pan out I'll go solo.

I have a host-family over there who still likes me alright and a ton of friends going to school in Saitama. I could bounce around if need be, plus my favorite karaoke place only charges about $3/hr without nomihoudai, which is feasible for a terrible night's sleep (ノ´ー`*)ノ

Having friends and a host family to bounce around with is good. I am still working on a place to crash after my contract is up.

BTW, when you mentioned government-sponsored summer camps in Korea, was that through EPIK? I have applied to teach through EPIK if I don't find any eikaiwa or Interac willing to take me when my contract is up.

Eira
April 22nd, 2009, 10:04
One, you sound strangely like you're judging me...

I think a lot of people are, just not as obviously.

What you plan on doing (if you're just planning on showing up and getting a job) is risky at best. JET isn't the only organization where the number of applicants is increasing while the number of openings is decreasing. Japan-or-bust isn't necessarily a bad thing, but being reckless is... And reading this thread, at least in my opinion, you seem to be setting yourself up for trouble.

I don't mean to come off in a bad way, so sorry if I sound like a bitch. I wish you luck and all, but with Japan's economy--even with the yen being stronger than the dollar--I would be prepared to return from Japan after 3 months was up.

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 10:05
Plus the yen andn dollar are about equal now I think.

Victorius~
April 22nd, 2009, 10:20
I think a lot of people are, just not as obviously.

What you plan on doing (if you're just planning on showing up and getting a job) is risky at best. JET isn't the only organization where the number of applicants is increasing while the number of openings is decreasing. Japan-or-bust isn't necessarily a bad thing, but being reckless is... And reading this thread, at least in my opinion, you seem to be setting yourself up for trouble.

I don't mean to come off in a bad way, so sorry if I sound like a bitch. I wish you luck and all, but with Japan's economy--even with the yen being stronger than the dollar--I would be prepared to return from Japan after 3 months was up.

I appreciate the honesty, and I know it sounds kind of reckless, but fun aside this is a serious venture that I am considering undertaking. It's hard to convey the sense of longing and belonging I have, but I assure you it is not unfounded. I just have a feeling like things are gonna work out and I'll be over there by the end of the year. The fact of the matter is I will probably end up finding work over there before September, but if not I will go there and see what kind of an impression I can make, maybe find some luck in my favor. It's risky, sure, but in no way, shape or form is it a question to me. Divine intervention aside, I will make my way over in September. Truth is, I got a couple other guys talking about it, too, and we are of a similar mindset. I'm ready to take the next step into the world by going somewhere I love to be and hopefully ending up doing something I love to do. It's exciting just to think about.

cvmurrieta
April 22nd, 2009, 10:43
I appreciate the honesty, and I know it sounds kind of reckless, but fun aside this is a serious venture that I am considering undertaking. It's hard to convey the sense of longing and belonging I have, but I assure you it is not unfounded. I just have a feeling like things are gonna work out and I'll be over there by the end of the year. The fact of the matter is I will probably end up finding work over there before September, but if not I will go there and see what kind of an impression I can make, maybe find some luck in my favor. It's risky, sure, but in no way, shape or form is it a question to me. Divine intervention aside, I will make my way over in September. Truth is, I got a couple other guys talking about it, too, and we are of a similar mindset. I'm ready to take the next step into the world by going somewhere I love to be and hopefully ending up doing something I love to do. It's exciting just to think about.

Live for today and let tomorrow take care of itself. If you feel you need to follow through on your plan and have thought about the risk, then remember what Nike said: JUST DO IT!:D

Sun Kil Moon
April 22nd, 2009, 10:44

My guess would be Japan is where they would like to be, but Korea is the best of the asian countries for making money

houk
April 22nd, 2009, 11:56
they're all going to japanese people

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 12:09
The issues are
-Money
-Visa

Don't fuck around with them. The end.

UPGRAYEDD
April 22nd, 2009, 12:59
Why don't you just plan for a long vacation.

Chances are high that you will not be able to find a job here on a tourist visa. For a number of reasons already said. Basically, no residence and no visa. If you're just going to bum it around here for awhile why don't you just come here to bum around for awhile and give up this dream of being able to find work once you get here.

If you want to stay here long term you can do a number of things...

1. Get a private ALT/eikawa job before coming over
2. Maybe get a masters degree and come over with real qualifications
3. Get a regular job in a multinational company and study Japanese on the side...acquire some experience then sell your Japanese knowledge and get transfered.

elleohelle
April 22nd, 2009, 13:12
3. Can be tricky. You usually need technical background, usually.

cvmurrieta
April 22nd, 2009, 13:27

I'm deadset on remaining in Japan. But if I can't get an eikaiwa gig right away when my contract ends, then I do want to check out Korea because I am interested in it. In addition, I had considered teaching ESL there before.

I just hope I can find I can exclaim, "Oh, Mash'Allah!" about:D

Victorius~
April 22nd, 2009, 13:28
Why don't you just plan for a long vacation.

Chances are high that you will not be able to find a job here on a tourist visa. For a number of reasons already said. Basically, no residence and no visa. If you're just going to bum it around here for awhile why don't you just come here to bum around for awhile and give up this dream of being able to find work once you get here.

If you want to stay here long term you can do a number of things...

1. Get a private ALT/eikawa job before coming over
2. Maybe get a masters degree and come over with real qualifications
3. Get a regular job in a multinational company and study Japanese on the side...acquire some experience then sell your Japanese knowledge and get transfered.

Although an extended vacation sounds nice, that would ultimately end in me returning to the States with nothing but a camera full of memories. Money aside, I plan on living in Japan in the near future. Now, if I have to go there of my own accord, forge some bonds whilst abroad, and then return to the States or go to South Korea while a visa pans out I'll do it.

There is no way I'm funneling right into graduate school for two reasons: one, I'm sick of school and essays and shit for a while, and two, I don't know what I want to pursue yet. Why get some random qualifications to do something if I don't know where I want that to get me in the next 5-8 years? I'm planning on going to grad school only after I have a firm grasp on what I want to study.

As far as an America-based company, I've thought about it, but the thought of an extended life in the States bores me to no end. I have very few strong connections left where I live, and soon those, too, will be gone. How about a change of scene, you might say? Well, that's the idea. I specifically chose my university because of its awesome study abroad program. I used that time to gauge how well I felt I could fit in with the people and whether or not I'd see myself working in the States with Japanese or in Japan, and I know Japan is where I'm supposed to be.

UPGRAYEDD
April 22nd, 2009, 13:35
Number three isn't that hard.

1. IT
2. Banking (usually the ones who couldn't cut it in NYC or London)
3. Product development
4. Marketing
5. Recruiting
6. Law
7. Translation
8. Engineering

Off the top of my head there. You really only need a technical background for some of those.

UPGRAYEDD
April 22nd, 2009, 14:39
Although an extended vacation sounds nice, that would ultimately end in me returning to the States with nothing but a camera full of memories. Money aside, I plan on living in Japan in the near future. Now, if I have to go there of my own accord, forge some bonds whilst abroad, and then return to the States or go to South Korea while a visa pans out I'll do it.

There is no way I'm funneling right into graduate school for two reasons: one, I'm sick of school and essays and shit for a while, and two, I don't know what I want to pursue yet. Why get some random qualifications to do something if I don't know where I want that to get me in the next 5-8 years? I'm planning on going to grad school only after I have a firm grasp on what I want to study.

As far as an America-based company, I've thought about it, but the thought of an extended life in the States bores me to no end. I have very few strong connections left where I live, and soon those, too, will be gone. How about a change of scene, you might say? Well, that's the idea. I specifically chose my university because of its awesome study abroad program. I used that time to gauge how well I felt I could fit in with the people and whether or not I'd see myself working in the States with Japanese or in Japan, and I know Japan is where I'm supposed to be.

Okay someone needs to tell you this.

I think you are setting yourself up for some major disapointment.

1. The economy is shitty. Every teaching job will go to someone with a valid visa.
2. You don't have the qualifications to take any other type of work
3. Working with a tourist visa will get you deported
4. If you do find work it will be probably be bartending which pays about 800 yen an hour
5. Living off 800 yen an hour is tough

So my advice is to seek employment with the major private and eikawa companies. If that doesn't work out then you should wait until they start hiring again. If you come over here on a tourist visa thinking you will be able to work you are making a huge mistake.

There is also alternate options for people who are interested in using Japanese in hospality in Hawaii, Saipan, and various Pacific US locations. But remember the economy is crap and you may not be able to find jobs even there.

Saitaman
April 22nd, 2009, 14:54
And yet the yen is still stronger than the dollar. I know the global economy is rough, but I'm not gonna let that stop me. As long as I play my cards right I should be alright.

Stronger or weaker are relative terms, but that isn't the problem, the problem is you could end up coming here and not finding any good work.

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 15:10
Almost the same

1 Japanese yen = 0.010129 U.S. dollars

Choobear
April 22nd, 2009, 16:08

I kind of know how you feel, granted I'm not in the same exact situation but I have a strong desire to live and work in Japan more permanently. I hope things work out with JET but ultimately you have to be realistic. I am indeed going to Japan to intern on a tourist visa but this will be unpaid and I will still have to leave after a 3 month period. What this does do for me though is give me the opportunity to bolster my resume with international experience for the future, not to mention create lasting connections to people in Japan which could mean work opportunities later on. Even if you can't go to Japan this instant, there's no reason to rush things simply because you want to escape living in the "boring" United States. There are other options besides going "Rambo," finding work with another company or waiting again for JET. I'm sure there's something you can find that will work for you.

Quite honestly, this is an internet forum, no one really gives a shit what you do, how you live or how successful you are, it's just entertainment for most of us. Everyone has offered sound advice and should (hopefully) sway your decision, but ultimately you decide your own shit, you don't need to justify yourself to anyone on this board and it's probably a wasted effort on your part to convince us of your conviction and motives. Just do what you feel is right but don't start complaining when you realize you've made a big mistake.

curtaineater
April 23rd, 2009, 01:30
just stop thinking about it and do it. you have one life to live and its never enough. fill it with adventure!

Victorius~
April 23rd, 2009, 01:41
Just do what you feel is right but don't start complaining when you realize you've made a big mistake.

Done. It kinda feels like I'm about to jump of a cliff and people are giving me the odds of my survival (^-^*). I appreciate all the advice. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll take it all into consideration when the time comes. Hell, I'll let you guys know how things work out, of course.

~Thanks for the support, Curtaineater!

In the meantime, does anyone have some advice on writing a cover letter? There are a couple guides I've found online, but has anyone hear written one before? They seem pretty straightforward.

UPGRAYEDD
April 23rd, 2009, 11:35
Done. It kinda feels like I'm about to jump of a cliff and people are giving me the odds of my survival (^-^*). I appreciate all the advice. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll take it all into consideration when the time comes. Hell, I'll let you guys know how things work out, of course.

~Thanks for the support, Curtaineater!

In the meantime, does anyone have some advice on writing a cover letter? There are a couple guides I've found online, but has anyone hear written one before? They seem pretty straightforward.

For a teaching job just cut up your jet essay into two or three paragraphs and try to keep it from going over a page in length. The shorter the better.

Tarquin
April 23rd, 2009, 16:27
While I haven't done any research into this atm, i know this much as a fact.

Converting VISA > VISA is doable, people on a Working Holiday visa can convert to a work visa without many issues.
I don't konw about converting a tourist > work however I believe this is where the issue is as you need to be outside the country. I have heard of people trying to do it, but whether they were successful or not I dunno.
As far as I am aware the only change you can make to the tourist visa is to extend it to 6 months, only if you have cash and a valid reason to extend or something (a friend went through the procedure, it was a pain having to go to osaka from kyushu to go to the offices and also explain why he needed the extra 3 months.

I must admit while I think it's a nice idea, I think you might find it hard and unfulfilling, and you might want to reconsider either waiting for JET (the option which will reap the best reward) or go with a private company.
Just "turning up and rambo-ing it" didn't work for my friend, and he became very broke. He had a Working Holiday Visa too, which looks much better when trying to apply for work here. There was just nothing available wherever he tried.

SoloTD
April 24th, 2009, 03:08
Not sure if someone has previously mentioned this, but, if you have a host family contact in japan (that you are on good terms with) have you considered asking them if they can aid you in obtaining a job? Perhaps might even know of one thats open? Using your connections would be key to your sucess (I would think)

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Victorius~
April 24th, 2009, 06:13
For a teaching job just cut up your jet essay into two or three paragraphs and try to keep it from going over a page in length. The shorter the better.

Thanks! I'll be see what I can do~

Not sure if someone has previously mentioned this, but, if you have a host family contact in japan (that you are on good terms with) have you considered asking them if they can aid you in obtaining a job? Perhaps might even know of one thats open? Using your connections would be key to your sucess (I would think)

Best of luck and keep us informed.

I'm working that angle right now. I sent them a package with a letter, but my host-family were farmers, so I don't know what kind of connections they might have. Never hurts to check, though!

HeartNana
April 24th, 2009, 09:14
Do note that if you come here on a tourist visa, and then find a job, most likely, you're gonna have to return back to the states for a while until they get all the paperwork/red tape done for a work visa. Either way, you have to be prepared to go to Japan, HOPEFULLY find something, and most likely have to return to the States either way, and then if you do get the job, to pay for another flight BACK to Japan. Do you have that much money? If you don't find a job, then you essentially used what might have been your life savings for a 3 month vacation, and you're gonna have to wait until JET the next year before even having a CHANCE of getting anything. You don't seem to care about enjoying the 3 months here, you just seem to want to get a job and that's it. Is it really worth that money to not even enjoy your vacation (because that's what it's gonna be)?

Actually, ignore all that, good luck!

cvmurrieta
April 24th, 2009, 09:15
Thanks! I'll be see what I can do~

I'm working that angle right now. I sent them a package with a letter, but my host-family were farmers, so I don't know what kind of connections they might have. Never hurts to check, though!

Yes, you may be able to teach agricultural English. He, don't laugh! :lol: There are rural prefectures like Miyagi that are trying to sell their food and sake products to the world!:p_cube:

mteacher80
April 24th, 2009, 09:26
haha my host family are the biggest pig farmers in miyagi, also have about 200 acres of rice fields. they work hard but they are rich! (but dont even try bringing beef to a bbq there though..haha)

cvmurrieta
April 24th, 2009, 09:57
haha my host family are the biggest pig farmers in miyagi, also have about 200 acres of rice fields. they work hard but they are rich! (but dont even try bringing beef to a bbq there though..haha)

What city or town in Miyagi? I haven't been all over the prefecture, but I may have heard of it.:)

I had the pleasure of becoming familiar with all the cities and towns while doing some data entry recently:098:

mteacher80
April 24th, 2009, 12:18
Tajiri - i went to school at furukawa high school.

cvmurrieta
April 24th, 2009, 13:05
Tajiri - i went to school at furukawa high school.

OK. Furukawa High. Just one stop up the shink from Sendai

Tarquin
April 27th, 2009, 10:02
OK. Furukawa High. Just one stop up the shinkANSEN from Sendai

:076::021:

Wakatta
April 29th, 2009, 16:49
Uh, Victorius, dude...your...profile pic...uh...

And, once again, -why- aren't you applying for Interac or another private ALT dispatch agency? If you want to job-hunt while you're here, that's fine, but get your foot in the door with something guaranteed. It's not hard to do from outside the country.

I really don't want to see this turn into a disaster for you.

Victorius~
April 30th, 2009, 11:10
Uh, Victorius, dude...your...profile pic...uh...

Hey now, that's from a school festival we put on that was a huge success. She and I danced together at the festival, so we were dressed up and such. It's a little strange out of context.

But yeah, I guess there's a little miscommunication here. I am applying with Interac and whatever else I can find, too. Going solo is an idea of mine as a last resort, since I HAVE to get to Japan at some point this year, one way or another.

Gusuke
April 30th, 2009, 12:39
Why do you HAVE to go to Japan?

jboze84
April 30th, 2009, 14:42
Mos-burger.

cm2jr4
April 30th, 2009, 15:21
Mos-burger.

jolly pasta

Gusuke
April 30th, 2009, 15:51
Yoshinoya, a Japanese institution

Tarquin
April 30th, 2009, 16:12
Mr Doughnuts.

Neb
April 30th, 2009, 18:04
well, after you posted your profile pic, these comments were bound to come sooner or later

Coollead
April 30th, 2009, 21:41
Matsuya?

AliDimayev
April 30th, 2009, 22:05
SUKIYA!

Gusuke
April 30th, 2009, 22:34
The Burger King to Mos Burger's Mcdonalds, Freshness Burger

cm2jr4
May 1st, 2009, 00:15
Bikkuri Donkey

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 00:50
well, after you posted your profile pic, these comments were bound to come sooner or later
Oh, wow. I didn't quite get the joke. You guys really poking fun? Whatever. All those places are pretty good (except Mos Burger or Freshness Burger, which I've never been too). I love to eat good food, clearly.
~
I've gone as far as I can with my Japanese here in the States. The only way for me to really improve is to live there for a bit. Other than kanji, I don't feel like I could learn too much more without an environment to constructively practice it in. I have a bunch of Japanese friends at my university via an awesome sister-school exchange program, but it's really awkward to try and practice sonkeigo and kenjyougo out of context. It's not just for the Japanese study, but that's one reason of mine.

cm2jr4
May 1st, 2009, 01:51
Oh, wow. I didn't quite get the joke. You guys really poking fun? Whatever. All those places are pretty good (except Mos Burger or Freshness Burger, which I've never been too). I love to eat good food, clearly.
~
I've gone as far as I can with my Japanese here in the States. The only way for me to really improve is to live there for a bit. Other than kanji, I don't feel like I could learn too much more without an environment to constructively practice it in. I have a bunch of Japanese friends at my university via an awesome sister-school exchange program, but it's really awkward to try and practice sonkeigo and kenjyougo out of context. It's not just for the Japanese study, but that's one reason of mine.

mos burger is kinda meh.
freshness burger is pretty good in my opinion.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 02:09
They still have First Kitchen, right? That place was alright.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 05:37
Another one of the greatest things to ever come out of East Asia imo is the カラオケbox. My favorite place of all time is カラオケALL which had a couple places near where I lived. About ¥500/hr 飲み放題. What are some other good カラオケ places you guys have been to in Japan?

FiercestCalm
May 1st, 2009, 06:03
You can say karaoke. We understand that too.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 06:04
It feels weird saying karaoke and カラオケ in the same post, like right now.

houk
May 1st, 2009, 06:40
so why not just say karaoke?

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 06:45
Two things: One, the proper name of the place I used to go to is カラオケALL, not Karaoke ALL, and two, if you understand what I'm saying in the first place does it matter? I agree that sometimes it does, but now hardly feels like one of those times.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 06:56
Another one of the greatest things to ever come out of East Asia imo is the カラオケbox. My favorite place of all time is カラオケALL which had a couple places near where I lived. About ¥500/hr 飲み放題. What are some other good カラオケ places you guys have been to in Japan?
Oh boy.

As far as learning Japanese, of course it may be better to be in Japan, but you can learn Japanese while in America. I have met people fluent in other languages who have never been to a country where said language is used.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 07:00
Oh boy.

As far as learning Japanese, of course it may be better to be in Japan, but you can learn Japanese while in America. I have met people fluent in other languages who have never been to a country where said language is used.

What, you don't like karaoke?
~
To me, this sounds like learning to swim without ever getting into the pool. Where's the fun in that?

houk
May 1st, 2009, 07:01
Two things: One, the proper name of the place I used to go to is カラオケALL, not Karaoke ALL, and two, if you understand what I'm saying in the first place does it matter? I agree that sometimes it does, but now hardly feels like one of those times.
just seems like you would want to make sure as many people as possible can understand what youre trying to say, since not everyone here can read japanese, is all

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 07:02
What, you don't like karaoke?
~
To me, this sounds like being able to swim without ever getting into the pool. Where's the fun in that?

No, I like カラオケ。けど、I don't bother to change the input to かなと漢字when I post on accounta I don't want to look like a 道具。

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 07:08
No, I like カラオケ。けど、I don't bother to change the input to かなと漢字when I post on accounta I don't want to look like a 道具。
In retrospect, the kanji point makes sense, but kana? Really? I honestly would prefer that people who respond to my posts about a future in Japan would at least have studied katakana.

Eira
May 1st, 2009, 07:09

I thought this post was stupid until I saw 道具, and then I had to laugh.

Also, it isn't as effective to learn in a non-immersion setting, but sometimes it's the only way you can. My brother couldn't afford to even travel to Texas or California when he was studying Spanish, so he did all of his studies in Indiana and Kansas. He still wishes he had been able to study abroad, but he's fluent now even though he couldn't.

Also, I know it's not an ideal situation, but have you looked into Middlebury? A friend of mine here did their summer program once or twice, and his Japanese was infinitely better than everyone else's in our classes. If you can't go to Japan, it's about the closest you'll get without leaving the country, and it would probably save you some money. Or, if anything else, maybe you could try to do it before you left?

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 07:14
Never heard of Middlebury. I'll check it out. Thanks~
Also, I've been looking into getting TESOL certified over the summer, see if that'll help, too. Gotta do what'chu gotta do, right?

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 07:17
In retrospect, the kanji point makes sense, but kana? Really? I honestly would prefer that people who respond to my posts about a future in Japan would at least have studied katakana.
kana also refers to hiragana.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 07:18
I thought this post was stupid until I saw 道具, and then I had to laugh.

THANKS FOR THE 裏手 COMPLIMENT.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 07:18
kana also refers to hiragana.
Yes, I am well aware.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 07:20
Yes, I am well aware.
Right, that is why you only referred to katakana.

ARe you familiar with the kana

ゐ ヰ  ゑ  ヱ   ヲ 

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 07:23
Look, I'm earnestly looking for some support in these posts, not for you to be a dick about stuff. よかったら、必要はないことで書かないでください.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 07:25
Look, I'm earnestly looking for some support in these posts, not for you to be a dick about stuff. よかったら、必要はないことで書かないでください.
You want earnest? Honestly, don't post in kanji or kana. First of all, not everyone on this forum can read Japanese. Secondly, doing so has an air of arrogance. OK? So, what's the question? STudying Japanese.

Middlebury (in Vermont) has summer programs
You can buy textbooks
There are options online to talk and communicate with Japanese people
Make some Japanese friends
Study your ass off.

It is possible to learn a language fluent without going to the country where it is used.

Eira
May 1st, 2009, 07:26
THANKS FOR THE 裏手 COMPLIMENT, くそ女。

You're breaking my 心.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 07:27
You're breaking my 心.
I'm just joking!:lol: Honestly, though, what would be the Japanese for 'back handed compliment?"

Eira
May 1st, 2009, 07:28
No idea. It would be a useful phrase to know, though.

twiceinalifetime
May 1st, 2009, 07:30
いい加減なお世辞, maybe?

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 07:37
You want earnest? Honestly, don't post in kanji or kana. First of all, not everyone on this forum can read Japanese. Secondly, doing so has an air of arrogance. OK? So, what's the question? STudying Japanese.

Middlebury (in Vermont) has summer programs
You can buy textbooks
There are options online to talk and communicate with Japanese people
Make some Japanese friends
Study your ass off.

It is possible to learn a language fluent without going to the country where it is used.
Thanks for your honest opinion! That's all I wanted. I didn't think this post would draw too much interest from people not already familiar with Japanese. My bad.
~
I realize language study is possible without immersion, but I have a ton of Japanese friends, study every day, chat online at least every other day, and have a nice collection of texts, so I feel like I've covered my bases. My professor even went so far as to say I was fluent in it, but you know how language study is. It's a slippery slope. You gotta use it or lose it, and seeing that I will no longer have to opportunity through school to get my fix of Japanese anymore I figure the best option would be to live in the country for a while. Makes sense, right? I'm not discounting continued independent study on my part, but my real love is using it to communicate. What better place to do that than Japan, I ask? Besides, I'm not looking for alternative methods of language study. I just wanted to hear what people had to say about someone going it alone, if it's possible, success stories, failures, experiences I can use to help make a more educated decision, and I appreciate it all. Please let me know if there's anything else you can tell me.

elleohelle
May 1st, 2009, 07:50
Dude, JET is not the be all and end all of great experiences. Go to Korea. Money goes a lot farther and they are better about housing. Good luck!

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 07:51
Dude, JET is not the be all and end all of great experiences. Go to Korea. Money goes a lot farther and they are better about housing. Good luck!
Korea is not Japan.

elleohelle
May 1st, 2009, 07:54
I don't get why he feels he has to be in Japan. He could easily visit Japan once a month with a lot of Korea salaries. I'm serious.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 07:56
I don't get why he feels he has to be in Japan. He could easily visit Japan once a month with a lot of Korea salaries. I'm serious.
If you wanted to study French and live in France, how would you feel if I said, "Just go live in Germany!"?

elleohelle
May 1st, 2009, 08:10
Here's the situation:
-Japan is a LOT more expensive than Korea
-Japanese market is a lot more saturated, and there is less demand for ESL teachers.
-Korean jobs usually pay for
-flight
-housing
-basic transportation costs

Yes, Japan is not Korea. But it's right next door and has a strong Japanese community. There is a lot less financial risk involved if you find a good employer.

Eira
May 1st, 2009, 08:15
There is less of a demand for ESL teachers in Japan than Korea?

elleohelle
May 1st, 2009, 08:18
That is my impression. At the very least, it is easier to find a job.

Neb
May 1st, 2009, 08:37
Yeah it's easier to land a job in Korea, but they pay you way less. I'd be needing to pay off my student loans, which i need to convert to CAD, and as it stands, the monthly JET salary is about $3500 CAD, and the Korean monthly salary is a bit under $2000, EVEN with expenses put into account, I would still have way more money to send back, and pay off my student loans faster. The yen is currently a very strong currency, so in terms of finances, Japan is the better option.

elleohelle
May 1st, 2009, 08:44
Oh yeah, you are right. If you have a lot of loans to pay off Japan is better. however, the cost of living in Korea is so low that the salary is plenty to live off of. Also, the official JET line is now to not take JET if you want to pay off loans (at least on the official forums). It's rare, but people do end up spending a lot of money paying for an apartment and maintaining a car. The ESID of JET makes the salary a little more complex than it initially seems. It's not the common deal, but it isn't unheard of either...

Tarquin
May 1st, 2009, 08:57
I was just bored and listing food places I went to this week.
Also, First Kitchen sucks. Freshness Burger was great the one time I had it drunk in Shibuya at 5am, and Burger King is far too out of the way in Shinjuku.

As for studying, I spoke to all my good friends in keigo when I was practicing it for my business Japanese course, while we both found it strange (and hilarious) they didn't mind. I spoke to them in a nice British accent so they could pick up on slang etc. and as such they all now talk like British people. What was more interesting is that my friends had to "learn" keigo as well in order to use it. Hilarity ensued.
If you wanna practice for the sake of it, your friends should be willing to try it.

Urthona
May 1st, 2009, 08:59
Oh yeah, you are right. If you have a lot of loans to pay off Japan is better. however, the cost of living in Korea is so low that the salary is plenty to live off of. Also, the official JET line is now to not take JET if you want to pay off loans (at least on the official forums). It's rare, but people do end up spending a lot of money paying for an apartment and maintaining a car. The ESID of JET makes the salary a little more complex than it initially seems. It's not the common deal, but it isn't unheard of either...

Every single person in JET is paid the same amount of money or near the same amount. Some people do pay a lot for their apartment/car but just as many people pay nothing and most pay some number in the middle. You don't think cost of living for people in Korea will be different either in case by case basis? Also, what JET says and what actually happens are two entirely different beasts.

Christ, your advice sucks.

For the OP, if you 'must' go to Japan, have the job lined up for you before you go but if your Japanese is as good as you say - take the JLPT 1 and with a couple of years in a job in America, you can see if you can transfer to a company's Tokyo office. You'll have a transferable skill and it won't limit you to eikaiwa. Also, you have to remember, you are coming to a country filled with fluent Japanese speakers - if you have a business skill, that makes you more likely to get a better job here.

Ali points are good - the media available and interacting with native speakers in the US can at least hold up your current level.

elleohelle
May 1st, 2009, 09:04
I am not trying to stir the shit. I am sorry if I upset you. But most jobs in Korea guarantee paying for your housing, something not offered consistently under JET. Moreover, you have more control over your placement, so you don't have to get a car. I'm not saying the OP should absolutely go to Korea. However, if you have no loans to pay Korea is a good option.

Gusuke
May 1st, 2009, 09:07
Goddamn, you sure do have a fixation on cars here

elleohelle
May 1st, 2009, 09:08
Honestly, the hassle and expense of having one abroad kind of freaks me out.

Gusuke
May 1st, 2009, 09:09
It's not that bad, if your Japanese is good anyone can do it by themselves

elleohelle
May 1st, 2009, 09:11
I'm far from fluent and a truly terrible driver. The cost also bothers me quite a lot. I keep hearing that driving a Kei car is dangerous, and the cost of having a car for a year with shakken and everything else runs about 10k. Is that an accurate figure? That's a third of one's salary. But, I shouldn't talk about this. People are going to get pissed at me. Terrible thing to be concerned about.

Urthona
May 1st, 2009, 09:12
Honestly, the hassle and expense of having one abroad kind of freaks me out.

Amazingly, several thousand JETs manage to figure it out.

Isn't life just a wonder at times?

Gusuke
May 1st, 2009, 09:13
I'm far from fluent and a truly terrible driver. The cost also bothers me quite a lot. I keep hearing that driving a Kei car is dangerous, and the cost of having a car for a year with shakken and everything else runs about 10k. Is that an accurate figure? That's a third of one's salary.

Jesus are you uninformed

Shaken is every 2 years, I got a good car with 110km complete with new shaken included for 420,000 yen. You can go much lower than that, I just wanted something nice to drive.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 09:56
Jesus are you uninformed

Shaken is every 2 years, I got a good car with 110km complete with new shaken included for 420,000 yen. You can go much lower than that, I just wanted something nice to drive.
That's still a pretty good deal! Nice!

Is it true that you have to get a Japanese driver's license now, though, and that international driver's licenses won't suffice anymore?

Gusuke
May 1st, 2009, 10:13
You need to translate your American license, take a written and driving test, and certain small things that depend on your prefecture to get a Japanese license since you can't drive on an IDP for more than a year.

Choobear
May 1st, 2009, 10:57
Wow this thread veered completely off topic haha, as for the japanese, I second the sentiment that people can't read all the japanese (i forgot a lot of my kanji and i missed out on the jokes :( ). As for Korea, the op has no intention of going to Korea and debating the merits over JET has been talked to death in other threads. No offense kbecker but you seem so paranoid about JET (even though your shortlisted) take it easy dude your not even in the country yet, let alone know your placement and your worrying about getting a car? You got plenty of time AFTER you get there to worry.

As for the op, you'll notice on these boards people will jump and maul anyone that shows the slightest signs of being a "weeaboo." It's nothing personal, most people on these boards just find them really really REALLY annoying (myself included). Your profile picture, emphasis on ONLY Japan, use of interspersed Japanese in your posts and overall posts kind of scream weeaboo to me. I'm not going to grill you on that but be aware and don't take it personal, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 11:13
As for the op, you'll notice on these boards people will jump and maul anyone that shows the slightest signs of being a "weeaboo." It's nothing personal, most people on these boards just find them really really REALLY annoying (myself included). Your profile picture, emphasis on ONLY Japan, use of interspersed Japanese in your posts and overall posts kind of scream weeaboo to me. I'm not going to grill you on that but be aware and don't take it personal, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Hey, it's all good. I understand. However, my intentions are pure. I'm about to get a degree in Japanese Studies, NOT a degree in anime fanatacism, and I happen to have a shit-ton of Japanese friends. They have a satellite campus at my university (I have a lot of pictures with them). Nothing "weeaboo" about it. It's a razor's edge, I know, but it's unfortunate to think that having an interest in Japanese culture brings to mind people who define themselves with the word "otaku" without knowing the history behind it or its significance. If I felt the same way about, say, Egypt, there wouldn't be any strange pop culture stereotypes associated with my studies, but since Japanese pop culture has become increasingly prominent in the world people like me get lumped in there. Kinda sucks, but whatever.

sidenote: it's hard to convery personal character over a web forum.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 11:14
sidenote: it's hard to convery personal character over a web forum.

I convery my personal character quite accurately. It is a skill that will jozu ni naru the more you post.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 11:16
I convery my personal character quite accurately. It is a skill that will jozu ni naru the more you post.
Fair enough! I admit I'm still fairly new at this.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 11:17
Why do you want to leave OR? I heard that, despite the grungers and punks and drug addicts, that Portland is a wonderful city. Also, have you every seen the ROLOFFS?

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 11:20
Why do you want to leave OR? I heard that, despite the grungers and punks and drug addicts, that Portland is a wonderful city. Also, have you every seen the ROLOFFS?
I'm pretty sure most major cities have the same issues, but the Roloffs are the real reason I'm leaving. P-town's alright, but it's not exactly Tokyo.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 11:21
I don7t like Tokyo.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 11:21
Why not? Too busy for your tastes?

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 11:22
Yup

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 11:26
That's entirely understandable. A lot of hustle and bustle.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 11:26
That's entirely understandable. A lot of hustle and bustle.
And I despise the women.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 11:27
What, really? Don't you like girls whose favorite pastime is shopping? Ugh, that got old fast.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 11:29
I really don't like the ones that wear the high heels, very short skirts, have their hair dyed that horrible light brown color and all done up bigger than adrianna la cerva from the sopranos and with several pounds of make up on.

UPGRAYEDD
May 1st, 2009, 11:40
If you're fluent in Japanese why don't you try your luck at the Boston Career Forum?

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 13:40
I really don't like the ones that wear the high heels, very short skirts, have their hair dyed that horrible light brown color and all done up bigger than adrianna la cerva from the sopranos and with several pounds of make up on.
Nice reference! I hear Kansai girls are really sweet. All the ones I've met have pretty nice personalities.

If you're fluent in Japanese why don't you try your luck at the Boston Career Forum?
Never heard of it. I'll check it out! Thanks~

Coollead
May 1st, 2009, 14:02
and I happen to have a shit-ton of Japanese friends. They have a satellite campus at my university (I have a lot of pictures with them).

I have pictures with Mugsy Bogues, Matt Costa, and Kevin Smith.

Doesn't mean they're my friends.

Gusuke
May 1st, 2009, 14:26
Don't you know? The measure of a man is how many Japanese friends he has

Coollead
May 1st, 2009, 14:29
True. I guess I don't brag about how many Japanese friends I have enough.

Let's start: I've got tons.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 14:41
Yeah, I have tons of japanese friends. The delivery man thought I was Japanese on the phone. I only eat japanese foods. I do everything like the japanese, even if it is no better than the american way on accounta I want to a Japanese. I even squint my eyes a bit.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 14:58
Ha. Very nice. My new camera has a feature that determines when someone's eyes are closed in a shot. Not really configured for Asian people, I guess.

cm2jr4
May 2nd, 2009, 00:23
so if i take pics of japanese people without them knowing, are they my friends?

Victorius~
May 2nd, 2009, 02:58
I have pictures with Mugsy Bogues, Matt Costa, and Kevin Smith.

Doesn't mean they're my friends.

Don't you know? The measure of a man is how many Japanese friends he has

True. I guess I don't brag about how many Japanese friends I have enough.

Let's start: I've got tons.

so if i take pics of japanese people without them knowing, are they my friends?

I have a lot here that I am able to practice with. It was a relevant statement, unlike the the very special things you guys have to say here. It's unfortunate how very off-topic this thread is starting to become.

twiceinalifetime
May 2nd, 2009, 05:37
I don't know that I have any great advice or answers, but I do hope that you are able to find a way to happen one way or another what you want to experience. Nothing wrong with knowing what you want and going for it, and it's really none of anyone's business what your reasons are or aren't. Sometimes people just like to be dick-ish. I wish you the best of luck and hope maybe some of the links earlier in the thread or maybe some other forums, too, will be useful. Good luck.

cm2jr4
May 2nd, 2009, 06:38
I have a lot here that I am able to practice with. It was a relevant statement, unlike the the very special things you guys have to say here. It's unfortunate how very off-topic this thread is starting to become.

some of us are just bored with nothing better to do than mess around for a bit.:072:

Snarch
August 16th, 2009, 02:04
Go to Dave's ESL cafe and email every offer you find. That's what I did and I'm in Japan now.