PDA

View Full Version : Post the Japanese you learn today here

Pages : [1] 2

UPGRAYEDD
April 21st, 2009, 07:55
I didn't learn anything today yet so you go first.

AliDimayev
April 21st, 2009, 08:25
houki - broom

mteacher80
April 21st, 2009, 10:36
already new the word but learned the kanji for butsudan 仏壇 can also be written 佛壇
(buddhist family alter)

Victorius~
April 21st, 2009, 10:56
近辺 (kinpen) = neighborhood

Wakatta
April 21st, 2009, 18:49
The ず form (something I only started noticing in writing/speech recently, I'm sorry to say) of する is せず

漢字を勉強せず日本語を勉強してはいけません。

And a major one: it's not "かんべき", it's "かんぺき". (Perfect)
I remember hearing かんぺき a lot, so I said that. Then one day I saw that in the dictionary it was かんべき, so I figured I'd misheard and said that. I used it a lot, actually! Then today people lol'd and I was like, "Uh, what?" And the JTE was like, "Um, it's かんぺき". I checked in the dictionary, and yeah, apparently both are feasible, but apparently かんぺきis what people say for 完璧.

One more: 直訳 (ちょくやく) is "direct/literal translation". だめ!

ampersand
April 21st, 2009, 19:54
already new the word but learned the kanji for butsudan 仏壇 can also be written 佛壇
(buddhist family alter)That's just the modern character versus the older character, like 体 versus 體 or 亀 versus 龜.

Wakatta
April 21st, 2009, 20:08
WHOA.

體   龜

What the hell?!

I'm guessing they didn't need to write about bodies or tortoises very often. Seriously; that's not a turtle, that's a circuit diagram. It is information on how to build a robot turtle.

http://members.fortunecity.com/zobovor/metalhead_kitbash.html

ampersand
April 21st, 2009, 20:26
Seriously; that's not a turtle, that's a circuit diagram.I'm not complaining that they were simplified, especially on the occasions I have to write them by hand, but that is definitely a turtle. If you turn it so that the left side is down, it's a nice little drawing of a turtle. It's got two legs sticking down out of its shell, a tail, and little head.

Victorius~
April 21st, 2009, 20:28
Yeah, well, that's some crazy BS if you ask me. I'm just happy they're a culture that's into streamlining their language.

ampersand
April 21st, 2009, 20:34
I guess it's time to break out おとど and たいと.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%9F%E3%81%84%E3%81%A8

Victorius~
April 21st, 2009, 20:35
Pretty sure that's unnecessary...

ampersand
April 21st, 2009, 20:39
I feel sorry for the poor people who have that in their names and so have to write it every time they fill out paperwork.

Wakatta
April 21st, 2009, 20:40
Ahahaha. Awesome! It's like the giant mecha-robot-champion of J-Go.

Pretty sure that's unnecessary...
Speaking of unnecessary, I think that kanji's official meaning should be "needless". It should be an い-adjective.

I feel sorry for the poor people who have that in their names and so have to write it every time they fill out paperwork.
I expect some badass new hankos to be made with that. Ideally, they'd be Western-style metal stamp things, so they'd make a big KA-CHUNK whenever you used them.

Gusuke
April 21st, 2009, 21:03
脳震盪 (のうしんとう)- Concussion

saritajuanita
April 21st, 2009, 23:10
生臭い (なまぐさい)

fishy, stinking of fish (or blood)

WesleyCrusher
April 22nd, 2009, 09:29
keppeki

via denki jisho, "having a fetish for cleanliness"

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 09:30
keppeki

via denki jisho, "having a fetish for cleanliness"

denki jisho?

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 09:36
denki jisho?

Great. Now "denki jisho" is going to stick in my mind until the end of time as the correct pronunciation.

Hyakuman
April 22nd, 2009, 09:57
I learned a couple more baseball terms today (after our harsh 7-0 loss).

安打(あんだ)ー basehit (already knew this one listening to news on the radio about Ichiro all the time)
打率(だりつ)- batting average (already new this one too)

2打数0安打 (2あんすう0あんだ)- 0 for 2 (just replace the appropriate numbers for other stats)
三振(さんしん)- strike out
ファウルカップ - jock strap

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 09:59
I learned a couple more baseball terms today (after our harsh 7-0 loss).

安打(あんだ)ー basehit (already knew this one listening to news on the radio about Ichiro all the time)
打率(だりつ)- batting average (already new this one too)

Words I learned today

watashi - I, but I knew thish already
gakkou- school; I also knew this one already.

Hyakuman
April 22nd, 2009, 10:00
Words I learned today

watashi - I, but I knew thish already
gakkou- school; I also knew this one already.

thanks ali, I put those up there in case anyone was wondering what the two most commonly used words were. i see you did the same, good man.

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 10:01
thanks ali, I put those up there in case anyone was wondering what the two most commonly used words were. i see you did the same, good man.
Someone has got to set these no nothing of Japanese people straight.

katsudon
April 22nd, 2009, 13:01
My students taught me some crap that turned out to be 2-chan weeaboo junk, according to my boyfriend.

かわいい → かわゆす
ちゃん ー> タン

And then he added this, to complete my 2chan education:

笑 → 藁

More seriously, I'm learning tons of grammatical words from my Doraemon 読解力 book.
対義語 たいぎご antonym
同義語 どうぎご synonym
類義語 るいぎご quasi-synonym, a word similar in meaning but not interchangeable.
比喩 ひゆ metaphor
類推 るいすい analogy

Wanderlust King
April 22nd, 2009, 13:24
More seriously, I'm learning tons of grammatical words from my Doraemon 読解力 book.
対義語 たいぎご antonym
同義語 どうぎご synonym
比喩 ひゆ metaphor
類推 るいすい analogy

Sigh. I'm so good at picking up grammar, but I absolutely suck at picking up vocabulary. All that just strikes me as incomprehensible syllables that all sound alike. I hope it gets a little easier once I'm living over there.

WesleyCrusher
April 22nd, 2009, 13:40
denki jisho is "electronic dictionary!"

KEPPEKI is difficult to say, it rolls off the tongue awkwardly

Urthona
April 22nd, 2009, 13:49
Today was learn all about pregnancy day. A friend gave me some textbooks for Japanese kids learning kanji for history, science, and whatnot.

羊水 yousui - amniotic fluid
胎盤 taiban - placenta
子宮 shikyuu - the womb
卵巣 ransou - ovary
精巣 seisou - testes
受精 jyusei - fertilization

Mike_Davis
April 22nd, 2009, 14:06
electronic dictionary = denSHI jisho (電子辞書)

I don't know why, but I used to make that same mistake.

AliDimayev
April 22nd, 2009, 14:58
denki jisho is "electronic dictionary!"

KEPPEKI is difficult to say, it rolls off the tongue awkwardly
I think denki jisho is more of a :electrical dictionary:

katsudon
April 22nd, 2009, 15:26
Sigh. I'm so good at picking up grammar, but I absolutely suck at picking up vocabulary. All that just strikes me as incomprehensible syllables that all sound alike. I hope it gets a little easier once I'm living over there.

If it makes you feel better, I'm 'learning' more in the sense of 'studying, attempting to remember' more than 'I'm gonna use these in a sentence tomorrow because they are part of my vocab totally now!'

This is one place where kanji study can really help. Kanji-compound words become easily decipherable if you know the kanji they are composed of. Just another reason I am PRO-KANJI.

mteacher80
April 22nd, 2009, 18:11
Today was learn all about pregnancy day. A friend gave me some textbooks for Japanese kids learning kanji for history, science, and whatnot.

羊水 yousui - amniotic fluid
胎盤 taiban - placenta
子宮 shikyuu - the womb
卵巣 ransou - ovary
精巣 seisou - testes
受精 jyusei - fertilization

other than the first one i learned all that from my wifes doc when we did our prenatal visits....

Avocado
April 22nd, 2009, 18:57
Today I learned:

根回しする(ねまわしする)- to pull strings
入り込む(はいりこむ)- to penetrate; to enter

Gezora
April 22nd, 2009, 19:14
I think denki jisho is more of a :electrical dictionary:
Yeah, denshi is for electric appliances, gadgets, etc.

Victorius~
April 23rd, 2009, 01:55
Today I learned:

根回しする(ねまわしする)- to pull strings

Very nice~

Well, this thread started right after my Japanese class went into review mode, so I guess I'll just post some things I've learned recently...

増える|ふえる|to increase
~surprised we didn't learn the kanji yet since it's a really useful word

伸びをする|のびをする|to stretch
~I was happy to try this one out, but one of my buddies was like, "Um, we just say, 「ストレッチをする」." Fucking textbook.

Hyakuman
April 23rd, 2009, 09:35

This is also widely said as: 挿入する(そうにゅう)

伸びをする|のびをする|to stretch
~I was happy to try this one out, but one of my buddies was like, "Um, we just say, 「ストレッチをする」." Fucking textbook.

It's easier if you just say: ~を伸ばす(のばす)

WesleyCrusher
April 23rd, 2009, 09:39
electronic dictionary = denSHI jisho (電子辞書)

I don't know why, but I used to make that same mistake.

*seppuku*

UPGRAYEDD
April 23rd, 2009, 14:48
冷戦(れいせん)- Cold War

I think I said 寒い戦 before and now I feel like a huge idiot.

Gusuke
April 23rd, 2009, 15:00
部落民- Burakumin

I knew the word, but not the Kanji

Wakatta
April 23rd, 2009, 15:48
部落民- Burakumin

I knew the word, but not the Kanji

I remember at one school, they'd ask me to give little talks. (It was a really great school...excellent teaching method and really interested students. I'm just a little sad that the ichinensei are getting the one ALT around who claims to despise the JTE, and I suspect might be the type to just shrug and refuse to help with the phonics or whatever when the impressionable 1nensei are learning it.) Anyway, I decided to talk to the 3nensei about MLKJ and the Civil Rights Movement one time. I started by explaining segregation. (And yes, I -did- thoroughly explain that it had ended.)

Anyway, at the end of the talk, the JTE was like, "So, has there ever been segregation in Japan?" And the kids were mostly like, 'uh...what? no!' And then the JTE said, "What? You've never heard of the burakumin?" It was a great anti-"we Japanese" moment.

Gusuke
April 23rd, 2009, 16:35
I remember at one school, they'd ask me to give little talks. (It was a really great school...excellent teaching method and really interested students. I'm just a little sad that the ichinensei are getting the one ALT around who claims to despise the JTE, and I suspect might be the type to just shrug and refuse to help with the phonics or whatever when the impressionable 1nensei are learning it.) Anyway, I decided to talk to the 3nensei about MLKJ and the Civil Rights Movement one time. I started by explaining segregation. (And yes, I -did- thoroughly explain that it had ended.)

Anyway, at the end of the talk, the JTE was like, "So, has there ever been segregation in Japan?" And the kids were mostly like, 'uh...what? no!' And then the JTE said, "What? You've never heard of the burakumin?" It was a great anti-"we Japanese" moment.

I'm not going to defend it (and fag up the thread with it), but I don't think a lot of Japanese people are proud of it, or a language class is the time or place to talk about something they're all ashamed of.

kamukamuume
April 23rd, 2009, 18:03
I'm not going to defend it (and fag up the thread with it), but I don't think a lot of Japanese people are proud of it, or a language class is the time or place to talk about something they're all ashamed of.

Oh, c'mon. I think it's awesome, and much of that is precisely because it's not something to be proud of. The topic was already on civil rights and such, which is pretty relevant to one of our stated purposes as ALTs. And for that matter, one of the greatest gifts a school can bestow upon students (and one of the areas in which Japanese schools are most sorely lacking) is the ability to think critically, including questioning your own beliefs and culture sometimes.

Avocado
April 23rd, 2009, 18:20
This is also widely said as: 挿入する(そうにゅう)
That's good to know. I was taught (or forced to learn, actually) 入り込む in a sports context, so I don't know of 挿入 has the exact same nuance. ??

I've also been told to 攻める(せめる - to attack) and 入る in almost the same context, though, so I'm getting confused.

Mike_Davis
April 23rd, 2009, 23:52
That's good to know. I was taught (or forced to learn, actually) 入り込む in a sports context, so I don't know of 挿入 has the exact same nuance. ??

I've also been told to 攻める(せめる - to attack) and 入る in almost the same context, though, so I'm getting confused.

I think 攻める and 入る are equivalent there, both sound like forcing in. Like 侵入 and 侵攻, both meaning invade.

I could be wrong, but I think 挿入する equates to 入れる, not 入り込む. I've never seen it used intransitively.

I can't see that word without hearing「ICカードは、挿入されていません。」

Hyakuman
April 24th, 2009, 09:00
I think 攻める and 入る are equivalent there, both sound like forcing in. Like 侵入 and 侵攻, both meaning invade.

I could be wrong, but I think 挿入する equates to 入れる, not 入り込む. I've never seen it used intransitively.

I can't see that word without hearing「ICカードは、挿入されていません。」

Yeah, you're right on that one. 挿入する is definitely a transitive word, whereas 入り込む is intransive. Although the meanings are basically the same, I think 入り込む has more of a "follow through" nuance due to 込む being affixed to the end which would explain how Avacado learned it in sports.

I too know 挿入する well from hearing 「ETCカードは、挿入されています」 every time I turn on my car, haha. Incidentally, 挿入 can also be used for refering to "entering" a girl. :)

patjs
April 24th, 2009, 20:16
And for that matter, one of the greatest gifts a school can bestow upon students (and one of the areas in which Japanese schools are most sorely lacking) is the ability to think critically, including questioning your own beliefs and culture sometimes.

It'll be a cold day in hell when that happens here.

Wakatta
April 24th, 2009, 21:28
Learned yesterday, actually:

下品 (げひん): Vulgarity. I'd known several words for "bad word" or whatever in Japanese, but this seems to be the popular one for things that a person of quality should not utter carelessly.

Mike_Davis
April 24th, 2009, 23:06
婿養子(むこようし)- A guy who marries into his wife's family, even taking her last name. Also called a "Masuo," after the husband in Sazae-san (who lives with his wife's family).

Was warned I would become both of these tonight at dinner, when talking about possible post-JET living arrangements.

みなさんも気をつけましょう。

Avocado
April 24th, 2009, 23:08
So today I had to look up one word, and got to learn a lot of others at the same time, which was awesome. Maybe that's the way to go about learning this language??

For the record, these are all pronounced しょうしん:
- 昇進 - a promotion
- 傷心 - heartbreak
- 焼身 - self-immolation; burning oneself to death

Wakatta
April 24th, 2009, 23:14
So today I had to look up one word, and got to learn a lot of others at the same time, which was awesome. Maybe that's the way to go about learning this language??

I think that's a good idea!

Also: I made sushi again for the first time in a while, and Avocado, you were -delicious-.

Avocado
April 24th, 2009, 23:34
I think that's a good idea!

Also: I made sushi again for the first time in a while, and Avocado, you were -delicious-.
yes, i know. 分かった!i haven't had an avocado in such a long time (considering i lived off of them my freshman year of college), and they're really cheap here so i should consider it.

AliDimayev
April 24th, 2009, 23:57
and you can grow the core

mattyjaddy
April 25th, 2009, 07:16
When playing hide and go seek (かくれんぼ) the おに waits for everyone to hide and then says "もういいかい". If everyone is ready, they all shout "もういいよ”. If someone is not ready, they shout "まだだよ". Then, when the おに finds someone they say "みつけた". If they can't find everyone, then they eventually say "こうさん" or "まいった”.

At least that's what it says in a book about games being read by a kid in a book that I'm reading.

Trivial
April 25th, 2009, 13:48
チョウメ チョウメ

A retro term for sex.

mteacher80
April 27th, 2009, 15:17
heres a dead word that would be cool to bring back -
バックシャン bakku-shan 'a girl that looks good from the back'
or
後姿美人 (うしろすがた びじん) - same meaning and still used just less slang'y

mteacher80
April 27th, 2009, 15:30
婿養子(むこようし)- A guy who marries into his wife's family, even taking her last name. Also called a "Masuo," after the husband in Sazae-san (who lives with his wife's family).

Was warned I would become both of these tonight at dinner, when talking about possible post-JET living arrangements.

みなさんも気をつけましょう。

my wifes fater did this, but its funny in order for it to actually work so that you can take the name officially, the man has to be adopted by the grandparents. therefore i always give my wife shit about her mom and dad being brother and sister...

Wakatta
April 27th, 2009, 17:10
誇張 (こちょう) - Exaggeration. I've been wondering what this was for a long time! Just realized it today. Very useful for teaching.

I remember an aikido teacher back in the states with quite fragmentary English using a number of standard phrases that came up a lot...one of the more well-known ones was, "VERY EXAGGERATION!"

kiwimusume
April 28th, 2009, 07:33
対義語 たいぎご antonym
同義語 どうぎご synonym
比喩 ひゆ metaphor
類推 るいすい analogy

My favourite grammar word that I picked up from English class (I swear to God I learn more Japanese in those classes than they learn English) is 後置就職 (こうちしゅうしょく). I have no idea what the equivalent English term is, but it's when you modify a word by saying "that/which/who ---".

I also learned recently that the Japanese for "codeshare flight" is 共同運航便(きょうどううんこうびん). It didn't take me long to work out that if you pronounce it a tiny bit wrong you get きょうどううんこびん (shitshare flight) and it is now one of my favourite words.

AliDimayev
April 28th, 2009, 07:40
My favourite grammar word that I picked up from English class (I swear to God I learn more Japanese in those classes than they learn English) is 後置就職 (こうちしゅうしょく). I have no idea what the equivalent English term is, but it's when you modify a word by saying "that/which/who ---".

Please show me how the word WHICH or WHO can modifiy A WORD.

kiwimusume
April 28th, 2009, 07:47
to penetrate; to enter

I learned that "sashikomu" is one verb for putting your dick in someone, thanks to one of my students saying this, very obviously after the "How is Babby Formed" class (he and some of his mates were also asking me if I knew where babies came from and if I'd done it):

Eeny meeny miney mo
Sashikominagara (put your dick in her)
Seishi wo nagashite (and come inside her)
Kodomo wo umou! (and make a baby!)

And now I cannot see "sashikomu" in the same way again. I've stayed in Toyoko Inn a few times recently and every time they tell me to "sashikomu" my key in the slot to make the power go on, that is the first thing I think of.

kiwimusume
April 28th, 2009, 07:48
Please show me how the word WHICH or WHO can modifiy A WORD.

Ali is a poster WHO is really annoying but has inexplicably been growing on me recently. (Oh God, now I've encouraged him.)

katsudon
April 28th, 2009, 08:26
Those are called relative clauses. :)

but that's a new phrase for me. I only knew that the words themselves were called 関係代名詞 (relative pronouns)

ampersand
April 28th, 2009, 08:49
My favourite grammar word that I picked up from English class (I swear to God I learn more Japanese in those classes than they learn English) is 後置就職 (こうちしゅうしょく). I have no idea what the equivalent English term is, but it's when you modify a word by saying "that/which/who ---". It's 後置修飾--"modifier put on the end". What you've written is "back end job hunting."

In normal English jargon, they're relative clauses and participial phrases. The Japanese term lumps the two groups together, and contrasts with 前置修飾--"modifier put in the front"--which all Japanese modifiers are. It's another fine example of English getting taught like it's Japanese.

Urthona
April 28th, 2009, 09:15
白夜 はくや/びゃくや ー midnight sun
法王 ほうおう ー pope
行う おこなう ー do
通夜 つや ー vigil
薄れる うすれる ー fade away
湿地 しっち ー swamp
親愛 しんあい ー deep love

Hyakuman
April 28th, 2009, 09:43
What you've written is "back end job hunting."

Hahaha, I was totally like "what the hell?!" when I read it.

AliDimayev
April 28th, 2009, 10:07
Ali is a poster WHO is really annoying but has inexplicably been growing on me recently. (Oh God, now I've encouraged him.)
The who is not modify a word; it is part of a relative clause, thus making it a complicated sentence.

capn jazz
April 28th, 2009, 11:09
標準語 - ひょうじゅんご - standard dialect of a language
肯定形 ー こうていけい - the positive form (ie of a verb conjugation)
手話 ー しゅわ - sign language

Can you tell what we're discussing this week??

ampersand
April 28th, 2009, 11:46
Hahaha, I was totally like "what the hell?!" when I read it.It does seem like that should mean something. Something dirty.

kiwimusume
April 28th, 2009, 19:00
It's 後置修飾--"modifier put on the end". What you've written is "back end job hunting."

In normal English jargon, they're relative clauses and participial phrases. The Japanese term lumps the two groups together, and contrasts with 前置修飾--"modifier put in the front"--which all Japanese modifiers are. It's another fine example of English getting taught like it's Japanese.

Shit. That's what you get for not checking what you type. :053:

Avocado
April 28th, 2009, 22:14
全治(ぜんち)- all better; completely healed

unfortunately there aren't any homonyms for it..

Victorius~
April 30th, 2009, 09:58
選択式記憶 = selective memory (I think)

Picked it up chatting with a friend.

surgeon
April 30th, 2009, 10:48
どさくさ紛れに = in the confusion of the moment
既存の~ = the existing ~

AliDimayev
April 30th, 2009, 14:45
選択式記憶 = selective memory (I think)

Picked it up chatting with a friend.
Is that third Kanji correct?

AliDimayev
April 30th, 2009, 14:45
Not?
選択肢記憶?

I Am Quailman
April 30th, 2009, 15:43
呼吸できない

りきできない

Both mean "Can't breath!"

surgeon
April 30th, 2009, 15:48
not sure about the 2nd one...

i also learnt けじめを付ける = to draw the line

I Am Quailman
April 30th, 2009, 15:53
Well, りき means strength. But I was asking a Japanese person who has pretty good grasp of English... and told me first 「呼吸できない」, and then she said that 力できない also works.... :|

twiceinalifetime
April 30th, 2009, 16:03
Well, りき means strength. But I was asking a Japanese person who has pretty good grasp of English... and told me first 「呼吸できない」, and then she said that 力できない also works.... :|

Do you mean 「息できない」? Iki instead of riki?

surgeon
April 30th, 2009, 16:08
i understand 力 can be read りき

i think maybe they meant 息 as twiceinalifetime says

I Am Quailman
April 30th, 2009, 16:19
Ah, maybe so. My bad. It was over the phone so maybe I got it confused. Sorry lol...

So, some japanese I learned today:

息できない (not 力... haha)

Tarquin
April 30th, 2009, 16:27
not that I learnt it today, but its just a fun and useless word.

咥える - くわえる to hold something in someones mouth.

Victorius~
April 30th, 2009, 17:49
Not?
選択肢記憶?

The woman I was chatting with sometimes makes simple mistakes (she's a Chinese woman who moved to Japan ten years back) as many native Japanese do, and yours does sound a little more correct. I'll double-check it tomorrow.

AliDimayev
April 30th, 2009, 18:02
not that I learnt it today, but its just a fun and useless word.

Perhaps you made a machigai when you read the thread title. eh hehe

But good word!

Tarquin
April 30th, 2009, 23:04
well i did learn it like, last week.
not through choice, it came up on the flashcards.

So it counts.

Wanderlust King
May 5th, 2009, 02:42
I learned these Kanji compounds today! I'm finding this technique of learning new vocabulary really helpful. Things are becoming far less a task of learning random syllables.

稲妻 Lightning
妻 Wife
稲 Rice plant
稲田 Rice paddy
稲荷 Inari God of Harvest
荷物 Luggage
重荷 Heavy load
重い Heavy
自由な Free (as a bird)
自分 Oneself
自家 Personal
自家製 Home-made
差出人 Sender
差す To point (among other things)
時差ぼけ Jet-lag
時差 Time difference
件名 Subject
日付 Date
1件~20件を表示 Display items 1-20
次を表示 Display next
前を表示 Display previous
削除 Delete

The last several are from Mixi, which I'm beginning to try to translate completely.

Quick question, in this example, "1件~20件を表示", is "する” dropped?

ohheythere
May 5th, 2009, 16:55
I learned that you'll get a good laugh if, when asked for the umpteenth time, "Amerikajin desu ka?" you respond "eee..too...Amerikajin no tsumori de...su..."

Literally..."Last time I checked, I was American..." didn't know tsumori was used like that.

Avocado
May 5th, 2009, 21:52
According to a sign I saw today:

自動販売機コーナ (jidouhanbaiki corner) = vending machine place

Huh. I'll have to watch out for that tricky translation in the future. ;)

AliDimayev
May 5th, 2009, 22:49
Couldn't you translate koona as corner?

Avocado
May 6th, 2009, 00:50
Couldn't you translate koona as corner?
Oh, I can do that just fine. Apparently they can't, though..

Wanderlust King
May 6th, 2009, 02:47
The hell is with 付ける? ... way too many meanings. I can turn on a light, put on my clothes, write in my diary, glue my hand to my forehead, furnish my house, sew clothes, and apply ointment to myself all with one verb?

What else can 付けるさん do?

Hyakuman
May 7th, 2009, 10:32
The hell is with 付ける? ... way too many meanings. I can turn on a light, put on my clothes, write in my diary, glue my hand to my forehead, furnish my house, sew clothes, and apply ointment to myself all with one verb?

What else can 付けるさん do?

Notice that everything you said has an underlying meaning of "affixing" something. Hence the versatile nature of 付ける.

mteacher80
May 7th, 2009, 15:01
terminal velocity -- 終端速度 しゅうたんそくど

i was talking to a science teacher about gravity and stuff and this came up....i had to look it up to make sure thats what it ment.

Wanderlust King
May 8th, 2009, 01:14
terminal velocity -- 終端速度 しゅうたんそくど

i was talking to a science teacher about gravity and stuff and this came up....i had to look it up to make sure thats what it ment.

Christ, you were talking to a teacher about 'gravity and stuff'? I can't even understand 90% of what I hear in J-dramas or shows for children. Am I completely f'ed when I get my placement? I want to be friendly with my teachers, but I my conversational ability is so under-developed.

Should I be worried?

katsudon
May 8th, 2009, 08:45
Christ, you were talking to a teacher about 'gravity and stuff'? I can't even understand 90% of what I hear in J-dramas or shows for children. Am I completely f'ed when I get my placement? I want to be friendly with my teachers, but I my conversational ability is so under-developed.

Should I be worried?

Your teachers will be just as happy to talk about how 'amai' or 'oishii' something is as gravity and stuff, in my experience.

Also, a handy dictionary works wonders.

I did have a conversation about moons once with a science teacher. Was helped by the fact that I could point to his moon chart and say 'This is a waning gibbous moon, this is a waxing crescent moon' etc.

mteacher80
May 8th, 2009, 09:58
yeah it is not a normal conversation. i was at the education center and the science researchers were giving a presentation in the planetarium. then we started talking about the moon which lead to tides and gravity then stuff falling to earth and thats when terminal velocity came up.
then it was over and i went back to my desk and did normal boreing video editing for the rest of the day...

Wakatta
May 10th, 2009, 19:42
I recently refined my understanding of Japanese words for varying stages of drunkenness:

ほろ酔い(ほろよい): Tipsy/buzzed.
千鳥足 (ちどりあし): Tipsy. It apparently literally refers to how a certain kind of bird waddles or something.
酔っぱらい (よっぱらい): Drunk.
べろべろ: Sloshed, trashed.
泥酔 (でいすい): a formal word like "inebriated" or "intoxicated". Usually 泥酔状態. Not sure on the exact word.

hige
May 11th, 2009, 05:32
巣 (す) - bird's nest, in addition to spider's wed.

jboze84
May 11th, 2009, 10:02
誘惑する女 (ゆうわくするおんな) - seductress
むっつり助け平(むっつりすけべい) - extreme, closet pervert? Can't get an exact translation for this one, but I was told that this label applies to all Japanese men.

Gusuke
May 11th, 2009, 10:36
Trying to translate the JTB site to buy my ticket for my trip home, I found some pretty good vocab words in Kanji sono mama:

国債(こくさい)ーGovernment Bonds
国庫(こっこ)ーNational Treasury
国策(こくさく)ーGovernment Policy

Oneiro
May 11th, 2009, 11:26
ぶちあげ - Dictionarywise it means "To boast/brag," "To charm" or "To take by force." However, when used to refer to music, especially stuff like trance, it takes on a nuance meaning something like "Trippy." Hypnotic may also be appropriate.

Gusuke
May 11th, 2009, 11:41
八重歯(やえば)- Those fucking terrible smiles that some Japanese girls have, that guys find cute here

Hyakuman
May 12th, 2009, 10:04
八重歯(やえば)- Those fucking terrible smiles that some Japanese girls have, that guys find cute here

HAHAHA, that's hilarious. :lol:
Literally "eight stacks of teeth".

nHx
May 12th, 2009, 10:19
明晰夢 (めいせきゆめ)- Lucid dream

Wakatta
May 13th, 2009, 19:40
ちゃりんこ: (Or: ちゃりん) Bicycle, apparently. On two occasions, girls have run up and been like, WAKATTA-SENSEI, ちゃりんこ! And I'm like, what are you crazy bitches talking about?! What is a ちゃりんこ? I finally looked it up this time, and, yeah, it's a ... bicycle.

考古学 (こうこがく): Archaeology. The major of a new student-teacher at one of my schools.

loljapan
May 13th, 2009, 20:10
Your teachers will be just as happy to talk about how 'amai' or 'oishii' something is as gravity and stuff, in my experience.

Also, a handy dictionary works wonders.

I did have a conversation about moons once with a science teacher. Was helped by the fact that I could point to his moon chart and say 'This is a waning gibbous moon, this is a waxing crescent moon' etc.

The chemistry teacher and I used to shoot the shit by him taking me up to the lab to do science experiments and us writing out the chemical equations on the board since I understood the periodic table more than his explanations in Japanese lol.

Mayday
May 14th, 2009, 05:18
しゅっとしている - apparently this is slang for calling a guy "hot" in Osaka.

A Japanese friend just taught me this, but she's from Tokyo and has lived in the U.S. for the past 7-8 years so I'm not sure if it's legit or not. Any Osaka JETs care to comment?

Socrate
May 14th, 2009, 20:35
Today I learned みじかい = short. There was a bunch of other stuff, too. I'm on Week 7 of the Beginner CLAIR course.

dombay
May 15th, 2009, 15:25
Was looking for something else. Found ピンポンダッシュ (n,vs) ding-dong dash.

We call that 'knock and run' where I come from. I laughed.

jboze84
May 15th, 2009, 15:52
I think we called it ding-dong ditch where I grew up.

Hyakuman
May 18th, 2009, 09:38
We called it "ring n' run" or "nikky-nikky nine-doors"

mteacher80
May 18th, 2009, 11:06
dont know why but it was called nigger knocking in my (red)neck of the woods

Gusuke
May 18th, 2009, 12:27
通貨(つうか)-currency

hige
May 18th, 2009, 12:33
うかぶ (浮かぶ)ー to float。

however, in a more poetic sense it also means 'to come to mind'.

as in:
かなしいときに うかぶのは いつでもきみの かおだったよ

(lyric from a song that I have been trying to translate)

capn jazz
May 18th, 2009, 13:35
臍 ー へそ ー bellybutton!

UPGRAYEDD
May 18th, 2009, 14:24
清涼飲料水(せいりょういんりょうすい) - soda!

That's right, 5 kanji there.

mteacher80
May 18th, 2009, 14:31
回転木馬 kaitenmokuba - merry-go-round

(to be fair i had heard that before but just saw in on a webpage now and wanted to post it)

AliDimayev
May 18th, 2009, 14:31

(to be fair i had heard that before but just saw in on a webpage now and wanted to post it)
Perhaps you should re-read the thread title or maybe find some more complicated words to brag about.

mteacher80
May 18th, 2009, 14:36
why do words ahve to be complicated to brag about them.

黒子 くろこ stagehand

UPGRAYEDD
May 18th, 2009, 14:43
黒子 くろこ stagehand

hehe that's racist

AliDimayev
May 18th, 2009, 14:44

黒子 くろこ stagehand

There we go.
And if I had seen that without your telling me I would have thought that meant 'nigglet'.

hige
May 18th, 2009, 14:56
There we go.
And if I had seen that without your telling me I would have thought that meant 'nigglet'.

that was my initial thought...well i translated it a little more literally, but yeah. black child.

funny how the racism towards blacks can be so subtle at times...and how this has managed to come on this forum, as the thesis i am avoiding right now is very much about this issue

AliDimayev
May 18th, 2009, 14:57
that was my initial thought...well i translated it a little more literally, but yeah. black child.

funny how the racism towards blacks can be so subtle at times...and how this has managed to come on this forum, as the thesis i am avoiding right now is very much about this issue
maybe the stand hands dresse in black to avoid being seen by the audience?

hige
May 18th, 2009, 16:17
oh ali, your naivety is almost adorable...

biku23
May 19th, 2009, 07:59
大規模な災害 だいきぼなさいがい large-scale disaster

biku23
May 19th, 2009, 08:03

黒子 くろこ stagehand
hehe that's racist

Ofcourse, the chief is 伯.

UPGRAYEDD
May 19th, 2009, 09:24
北極圏(ほっきょくけん) - The artic circle

共産圏(きょうさんけん) - The Communist bloc

Sorccy
May 19th, 2009, 10:49
べたなぎ - Flat sea, no waves. They told me it's probably just a local thing. You have to do a gesture to show flatness, too. haha. I love this school. I learn fun things here.

Hyakuman
May 19th, 2009, 11:46

The revolving wood horse, I love it! :lol:

Grimalkin
May 21st, 2009, 16:10
Didnt learn it today but on Monday had the school councilor ask me what 鸚鵡返し (おうむかえし). I had no idea, and he couldnt write the kanji for it so I checked up online and found out it means parroting someones words. Which lead me to find out that 鸚鵡 is parrot. Apparently he was trying to compliment me by saying I was doing a good job taking words I hear and using them.

Gezora
May 21st, 2009, 19:50
Yeah, this is actually common in both Japanese theater involving humans and bunraku puppetry. The device was even carried over into the film Double Suicide.

In regards to the talk of 黒子.

loljapan
May 24th, 2009, 01:24
チンカス - smegma :103:

Gusuke
May 25th, 2009, 08:20
覇権 (はけん)-Hegemony

Urthona
May 25th, 2009, 14:04
未亡人「みぼうじん」- a widow.

It just looks really negative.

Gusuke
May 26th, 2009, 22:46
studying for JLPT2

総理大臣ーPrime Minister

katsudon
May 27th, 2009, 00:04
未亡人「みぼうじん」- a widow.

It just looks really negative.

O M G...hahahaha

Not-dead-yet person.

Hyakuman
May 27th, 2009, 09:43
studying for JLPT2

総理大臣ーPrime Minister

That not exactly right. That's for the Japanese Prime Minister only.

Prime Minister is actually 首相(しゅしょう)

Gusuke
May 27th, 2009, 09:50
That not exactly right. That's for the Japanese Prime Minister only.

Prime Minister is actually 首相(しゅしょう)

Same shit, different stink hahaha

Hyakuman
May 27th, 2009, 10:02
Well, if every other prime minister in the world is the Chair of the Diet, then yeah I can see where you're coming from! ;)

Gusuke
May 27th, 2009, 10:06
Well, if every other prime minister in the world is the Chair of the Diet, then yeah I can see where you're coming from! ;)

As long as I know it to pass the test, that's good enough for me.

WesleyCrusher
May 27th, 2009, 12:01
おはようございます - good morning!

Wakatta
May 27th, 2009, 15:10
I played tag with the kids at recess today:

鬼ごっこ(おにごっこ): tag.
Not new Japanese to me, but just for interest, some common phrases:
だれ鬼?! (who's it?)
逃げて! (にげて) (RUN! FLY YOU FOOLS!)

Incidentally, I -think- I heard a kid say さ (like ね) at lunch today. "おいしいさ!" Come to think of it, I may have heard this before, but I thought they were saying おいしいさ in the same sense as 長さ or 重さ..."ah, the deliciousness!"

loljapan
May 27th, 2009, 16:12
And then there's the annoying students on the train after school:

あのさ!あのさ!英語の授業でさ!loljapan先生はさ!あのさ!変な単語を教えてあげたさ!

Wakatta
May 27th, 2009, 16:19

What? They don't say あのさ everywhere?

It's right here in the dictionary:

(prt) (sentence end, mainly masc.) indicates assertion; (P)

loljapan
May 27th, 2009, 16:32
http://0x025e.com/images/carlface.jpg

Wakatta
May 27th, 2009, 17:06
:(

saritajuanita
May 27th, 2009, 18:39
さ may be said in a lot of places, but that is the hogen thread yo

Hyakuman
May 28th, 2009, 11:40

Yeah, that drives me crazy when I have to listen to them say shit like that on the trains after work. It's so low-lifey to say さ after every half-sentence! Speaking of which, my 課長 basically speaks that way to every single person he meets.

AliDimayev
May 28th, 2009, 11:42
Saying sa so often like that annoys me too. Perhaps it is the Japanese equivalent of using 'like' all the time.

AliDimayev
May 28th, 2009, 11:43

shouldn't it be kureta or moratta_?

I Am Quailman
May 28th, 2009, 11:47
The coffee boiled over this morning and the nurse was like また吹きこぼれたな~ めんどくさいな~

吹きこぼれる - boil over/overflow (just assuming from the context)

Wakatta
May 28th, 2009, 16:10
I got asked to do a listening activity on the fly (I tell a little story, they answer questions) today...it was a bit rough, but I managed to throw something together each time. (It was harder than I anticipated, as I had to work within the limited confines of their vocabulary...the prompt from the teacher was, "About Darth Vader" since we had considerable success using that in a "Who Am I?" ichinensei activity.) I ended up doing the following:
* Darth Vader Goes to the Conbini
* Darth Vader Goes to the Ballpark
* Darth Vader Meets ET

Anyway, when asking another JTE about how to say "improvisational" or "improv", I eventually got this phrase:

行き会ったりばったり: thrown-together, haphazard, on-the-fly, etc.
即興: Improvised, but with perhaps less of a negative nuance: like jazz music or the like. (Someone deliberately setting out to do something improv, rather than 行き会ったりばったり, which is more like, "ACK FIVE MINUTES GOTTA PUT SOMETHING TOGETHER!")
(EDIT: I also see ゆきあったりばったり in the dictionary.)

Also:

すね毛 (すねげ): leghair

Gusuke
May 29th, 2009, 07:50
THIS IS A GREAT ONE

訴えるーTo sue, take someone to court

Wakatta
May 29th, 2009, 08:45
Oh, one more from yesterday's "Vader goes to the conbini" story. I asked how many manjuu Vader had bought. (He bought a nikuman.) The kids all said "zero", and I noticed the JTE in his notes had also written zero. I was a bit confused, and checked: apparently, they only consider the tiny little cake things to be manjuu; the pizzaman/nikuman/anman in the conbini are "chuukaman". Japanese Wikipedia has no entry for chuukaman and seems to consider (at a glance) manjuu to include conbini ones, but there you go! Apparently:

ちゅうかまん: conbini ~まん.

Urthona
May 29th, 2009, 10:11
Some random Japanese for today:

蒸し [むしーhumid]
土葬 どそう bury/burial
火葬 かそう cremate
鳥葬 ちょうそう disposal of the dead by exposure - think Zoroastrians

Hyakuman
May 29th, 2009, 10:44
Oh, one more from yesterday's "Vader goes to the conbini" story. I asked how many manjuu Vader had bought. (He bought a nikuman.) The kids all said "zero", and I noticed the JTE in his notes had also written zero. I was a bit confused, and checked: apparently, they only consider the tiny little cake things to be manjuu; the pizzaman/nikuman/anman in the conbini are "chuukaman". Japanese Wikipedia has no entry for chuukaman and seems to consider (at a glance) manjuu to include conbini ones, but there you go! Apparently:

ちゅうかまん: conbini ~まん.

Something tells me that the average Japanese considers manju to be a dessert/snack. Even though niku-man is basically short for niku-manju, I'm pretty sure Japanese people just see it as "the name" instead of how we see it as a shortened form of the original (which in reality is a type of manju).

Wakatta
May 29th, 2009, 16:09
Something tells me that the average Japanese considers manju to be a dessert/snack. Even though niku-man is basically short for niku-manju, I'm pretty sure Japanese people just see it as "the name" instead of how we see it as a shortened form of the original (which in reality is a type of manju).

You're probably right, but on the other hand, I thought the freaking giant "chuukaman" in Yokohama's Chinatown were also called "manjuu". Then again, I was with some other Americans, so maybe one of them was using the term when I heard it. I can't quite recall.

For vocab: I started over on 吾輩は猫である; this is from the first part, where the titular aristo-cat is describing his earliest memories.

薄暗い (うすぐらい): dim, gloomy.
じめじめ: damp (onomatopoetic? Like the sound of footsteps in mud or muck?)
つかぬ: (I/etc.) don't recall -- using ぬ instead of ない.

どこで生まれたとんと見当がつかぬ (=どこで生まれたか憶えられない)。  なんでも薄暗いじめじめ所でニャーニャー泣いていた事だけは記憶している。

Gusuke
June 1st, 2009, 10:32
Since I cut my foot disassembling a VCR, I was worried about contracting tetanus, so 破傷風(はしょうふう)=Tetanus.

AliDimayev
June 1st, 2009, 11:25
That can cause lock jaw. Something my boyfriend would not like. I stepped on a diry nail when I was down in Nawlins guttin' a house.

Rin
June 2nd, 2009, 14:35
I didn't really learn it today, so much as I just happen to like the construction:

masu-form + ぬく means to do one's best at the masu-form verb.

やりぬく - do one's best
食べぬく - do your best to eat, as in, to stretch out your stomach as far as it will to fill it with food
飲みぬく - do your best to drink, keep drinking until you pass out

The last two should not be taken to mean that what's before you is nasty but you'll do your bets to eat or drink it, but more like stuff

biku23
June 3rd, 2009, 08:27

Heh, the other day someone asked me what's メリーゴーラウンド in English, and I said don't you mean 回転木馬, and they said that メリーゴーラウンド is more used today.

Wakatta
June 3rd, 2009, 13:18
Lately, I've been trying to use free periods to watch other classes, both out of curiosity and to improve my Japanese. (In the case of history class, sometimes I actually also learn some things about Japanese history.) Today, I asked a Japanese/social studies teacher if I could come see a class sometime. His response was:

ばっちり: In this case, kind of like "Sure thing!" or "Absolutely!"

Gusuke
June 4th, 2009, 20:21
ギャル車-Those awful keicars filled with stuff animals and crap that I want to run off the road!

UPGRAYEDD
June 5th, 2009, 11:15
But they're always driven by hot chicks.

Or really tan dudes...

mteacher80
June 8th, 2009, 09:18
短縮 たんしゅく shortcut, abbreviation, reduction

when i was using the fax machine today i found that button and i could just type in the last 4 numbers of the schools i was faxing instead of the whole thing.

enigmaneo
June 8th, 2009, 09:29
The new word I learned yesterday was 中絶(ちゅうぜつ). It means abortion.

katsudon
June 9th, 2009, 09:00
短縮 is also used for the daily schedule at my school. It means we will be having blessed 45 minute classes instead of the interminable 50 minute schedule (I have yet to figure out why the 50 minute classes feel so dreadfully long...)

From a student survey I was skimming, '気(き) にかかる', which means 'to weigh on one's mind, to be concerned about.'

勉強に気にかかっていることはない。 (I don't have any concerns about my studies.)

Wakatta
June 9th, 2009, 17:01
ださい: unstylish, dorky, unfashionable.

It came up when I was describing the goofball with the buttoned-up polo shirt in the back of Eigo Noto. I was like, "That's really dorky, having the top button buttoned when you aren't wearing a tie."

mteacher80
June 9th, 2009, 17:03
ぞうきんしぼり - indian rub (i think thats what its called in english) where you grab someones wrist with both hands and twist/rub in both directions.

Wakatta
June 9th, 2009, 17:29
ぞうきんしぼり - indian rub (i think thats what its called in english) where you grab someones wrist with both hands and twist/rub in both directions.

This same metaphor is also often used to describe proper sword-gripping technique: you twist the hands inwards as though you were wringing out a towel. (Well, wringing out a towel in the opposite way to how it's normally done in the US...I heard someone claim that Japanese people tend to wring towels inwards instead. Could be!)

Also, you しぼる a cow's udders to get milk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/Gamer674G/nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

ampersand
June 9th, 2009, 18:05
This same metaphor is also often used to describe proper sword-gripping technique: you twist the hands inwards as though you were wringing out a towel.That's usually 茶巾絞り(ちゃきんしぼり)--wringing out a tea towel. I've never seen a kid wring out a rag for cleaning with their hands thumb to heel, but it's apparently the correct way in tea ceremony.

Urthona
June 11th, 2009, 08:44
I learned 詰め込む 「つめこむ」 - to stuff, to cram, or to jam
The context was 喉元に愛を詰め込んで。I guess, a pretty way to describe something rather dirty.
魅せる「みせる」/魅せられる - to charm/ to be charmed/enchanted.

mteacher80
June 11th, 2009, 09:55
I learned 詰め込む 「つめこむ」 - to stuff, to cram, or to jam

I learned that when they have sales at supermarkets where you can cram as many veggies in to a plastic bag for a set price. i think that is pretty cool. i love when they do it with サイコロステーキ i can get a huge amount for like 500yen (about 2000y worth normally if i pack it right)

my new words. well actually the first one is just coz i learned the kanji, the second one is pretty self explanitory but i didnt know it before today.

革 かわ- leather
晴天 せいてん - sunny/fine day

mteacher80
June 11th, 2009, 09:58
oh and just got this too

駄々をこねる だだをこねる

literaly 'ask for the impossible: act selfish' but it is used to decribe when little kids want to do somethign that they know they shouldnt be doing.

wohseben
June 11th, 2009, 10:00
予備 - spare

As in a spare key or something like that. The wind just knocked over a spray can and I thought the nozzle fell off. Turned out it was just a spare :\

Nukemarine
June 12th, 2009, 03:35
ださい: unstylish, dorky, unfashionable.

It came up when I was describing the goofball with the buttoned-up polo shirt in the back of Eigo Noto. I was like, "That's really dorky, having the top button buttoned when you aren't wearing a tie."

Oh yeah, I remember that word when I was singing the song Tiger&Dragon at karaoke. It was a line about the Yokosuka jackets.

Ruairi
June 12th, 2009, 18:10
I can now count in Japanese :D

katsudon
June 25th, 2009, 11:49
手相(でそう)palm reading

FiercestCalm
June 26th, 2009, 02:37
素人 (http://readthekanji.com/words/953)(しろうと) Amateur
Is it just me or do none of those readings look right?

nHx
June 26th, 2009, 05:32
噴火 (ふんか) - eruption (used with volcanoes,etc.)

Rin
June 26th, 2009, 07:44
素人 (http://readthekanji.com/words/953)(しろうと) Amateur
Is it just me or do none of those readings look right?

難読【なんどく】 A non-standard, or difficult reading of a kanji or kanji compound (usually for place names).

Wakatta
June 26th, 2009, 11:10
許す (ゆるす): to forgive. Came up today when a JTE asked me about "Excuse me, but". Which also led to:

起源 (きげん): origin (I was originally saying 由来 but he seemed to suggest 起源 was a better word...or perhaps he was just chiming in with a synonym?)

Before class, a girl had written on her desk:

悄気ないで ベイビ (しょげないで): don't worry, don't get down, etc. (When I asked what it meant, she tried, 落ち込む)

kamukamuume
June 26th, 2009, 21:30
ご冥福をお祈り致します。(ごめいふくをおいのりいたします)

rest in peace, pretty much? literally "I pray for your happiness/peace."

found it on youtube when a bunch of japanese people were commenting on a thriller video.

Yeti99
June 29th, 2009, 12:15
氷山 (ひょうさん)

Iceberg

enigmaneo
July 14th, 2009, 14:36
婦人科
Gynecologist

ampersand
July 14th, 2009, 17:02
婦人科
GynecologistThat's gynecology. Gynecologist is 婦人科医 (ふじんかい).

surgeon
July 15th, 2009, 09:59
尻餅をつく - fall on one's arse
植樹する - tree planting
希望的観測 - wishful thinking

surgeon
July 15th, 2009, 12:56
功労者 - person who has rendered distinguished service; person who has made outstanding contributions to society
穴埋める - to fill in the gaps/blanks

edesuyo
July 16th, 2009, 04:38
Just translated this monster that appeared on the address from my BOE:
兵庫県教育委員会事務局高校教員課
ひょうごけん・きょういくいいんかい・じむきょく・こうこう・きょういん・か
Hyogo-ken Board of Education Secretariat, Senior High School Teacher Division

Guess it wasn't so bad once I knew where to break it up.

Kitsune
July 16th, 2009, 04:45
氷山 (ひょうさん)

Iceberg

ha... water mountain, that makes sense

Wakatta
July 16th, 2009, 08:31
ha... water mountain, that makes sense

Ice mountain, actually.

水 vs. 氷

Mnemonic: set a drop of the water aside to make a single ice cube.

kamukamuume
July 16th, 2009, 09:08
Ice mountain, actually.

水 vs. 氷

that's one tiny-ass ice cube, man. it's not going to cool down MY soda.

Mike_Davis
July 16th, 2009, 12:27
Ice mountain, actually.

水 vs. 氷

This sounds suspiciously like the demon tongues of Heisig!

BUUUURN HIM!

Edit to stay on topic:
絶望(ぜつぼう)- hopeless, as in
169人搭乗の旅客機が墜落、全員絶望か
(the headline after yesterday's Caspian Air crash)

surgeon
July 17th, 2009, 14:30
lots!

濃霧 - thick fog
落雷 - lightning bolt
滑走路 - runway
乱気流 - air turbulence
操縦する - to pilot an airplane

yes, i was reading articles on planes/flying

Hikari
July 18th, 2009, 07:01
まんこ - vagina

AliDimayev
July 18th, 2009, 10:31
まんこ - vagina
No.

manko is more like pussy.

kamukamuume
July 18th, 2009, 11:24
lots!

濃霧 - thick fog
落雷 - lightning bolt
滑走路 - runway
乱気流 - air turbulence
操縦する - to pilot an airplane

yes, i was reading articles on planes/flying

y u read story about aeroplaen.

surgeon
July 19th, 2009, 12:17
y u read story about aeroplaen.

job

saritajuanita
July 20th, 2009, 02:16
お漏らし (おもらし)

the act of peeing one's pants

therefore お漏らし + する = to pee one's pants

yay

(from 「漏らす」-- to leak)

capn jazz
August 2nd, 2009, 22:50
ふんわり - gently, airily, fluffily
やわらか - soft, tender, limp, gentle

Both from my new handtowel

UPGRAYEDD
October 23rd, 2009, 08:58
Today I learned that double negatives are okay in Japanese.

So excited.

UPGRAYEDD
October 23rd, 2009, 15:09
圧縮 - あっしゅく - Compression.

Like compressing a file to a zip.

Wakatta
October 25th, 2009, 01:18
認める (みとめる): among other things, to affirm as in a judicial decision or to grant a motion. (In the original context I heard, I think, it was to recognize a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress.)
外食 (がいしょく): going to restaurants as opposed to eating at home.

I learned these at the weekly "language lunch" talking to some Japanese lawyers who are doing a one-year LLM program here.

Wakatta
October 27th, 2009, 10:50
Today's language lunch vocab:

薄着(うすぎ): (wearing) light clothes (e.g. a t-shirt)
厚着 (あつぎ): (wearing) heavy clothes (e.g. long sleeves and a sweater)

elleohelle
October 27th, 2009, 22:29
目が高い- having a good eye, good visual taste

UPGRAYEDD
November 4th, 2009, 02:14
低体温症 - ていたいおんしょう - Hypothermia
砂漠 - さばく - Desert

Rin
November 4th, 2009, 16:33
The ず form (something I only started noticing in writing/speech recently, I'm sorry to say) of する is せず

漢字を勉強せず日本語を勉強してはいけません。

And a major one: it's not "かんべき", it's "かんぺき". (Perfect)
I remember hearing かんぺき a lot, so I said that. Then one day I saw that in the dictionary it was かんべき, so I figured I'd misheard and said that. I used it a lot, actually! Then today people lol'd and I was like, "Uh, what?" And the JTE was like, "Um, it's かんぺき". I checked in the dictionary, and yeah, apparently both are feasible, but apparently かんぺきis what people say for 完璧.

One more: 直訳 (ちょくやく) is "direct/literal translation". だめ!

In the example you gave, it needs to be せずに, not just せず. Your example currently reads: You mustn't study Japanese not studying kanji.

せずに means "without doing X". せず (without the に) just means the same thing as しない.

UPGRAYEDD
November 5th, 2009, 16:15
水母の骨 - くらげのほね - Something you never expect to exist (lit. Jellyfish bones)
海月;水母 - くらげ - jellyfish

Gusuke
November 5th, 2009, 17:04
蛇口(じゃぐち)- Water faucet

Wakatta
November 6th, 2009, 16:07
Thanks for the tip, Rin!

Igor
November 6th, 2009, 21:16
One I learned a while ago but like is 社会の窓 , literally 'the window of society,' but is used to mean 'one's fly,' as in, 'your fly is open,' 社会の窓が開いてるよ .

kyoryoko
November 10th, 2009, 20:50
Anyone pick up on your area's hougen? My students dont even understand hyoujungo...
Just wondering lol

UPGRAYEDD
November 11th, 2009, 23:33
受験中心の教育 - じゅけんちゅうしんのきょういく - Entrance exam centered education
発想 - はっそう - Ideas; conception
弊害 - へいがい - Harm

Putting it all together

受験中心の教育が自由な発想の弊害になっているかもしれない。
Something like - Exam centered education probably harms student's ability to form their own ideas.

UPGRAYEDD
November 11th, 2009, 23:42
宗教裁判 - しゅうきょうさいばん - The inquisition
地動説 - ちどうせつ - Earth revolves around the sun
放棄 - ほうき - Abandon; resign; renuciate an idea
命じる - めいじる - Order; command

宗教裁判にかけられ、地動説の放棄を命じられました。

UPGRAYEDD
November 12th, 2009, 16:19
More nonsense way above my jlpt level

軍事的脅威 【ぐんじてききょうい】 (n) military threat
戦術核兵器 【せんじゅつかくへいき】 (n) tactical nuclear weapon
中距離核兵器 【ちゅうきょりかくへいき】 (n) intermediate-range nuclear forces
核兵器国 【かくへいきこく】 (n) nuclear-weapon state

UPGRAYEDD
November 18th, 2009, 02:31
I'm really embarrassed that I've lived here a year and a half without ever learning these two words.

冷房 - れいぼう - AC; cooling
暖房 - だんぼう - Heating

enigmaneo
November 18th, 2009, 07:22
I'm really embarrassed that I've lived here a year and a half without ever learning these two words.

冷房 - れいぼう - AC; cooling
暖房 - だんぼう - Heating
Those are quite important now. I just had to help a new ALT who was freezing in her apartment.

UPGRAYEDD
November 18th, 2009, 12:18
Yea I was reading the paper and they are having sales on heaters at the moment and I saw the 暖房 and I was like wtf is 房?

Then I looked it up and it's like a lightbulb went off in my brain. I've already used them a few times chatting today.

jandek
November 18th, 2009, 16:19
did a lesson on months (英語ノート II 第3課 w00tw00t) today for the 6年生。 here are the best parts:

鬼は外!福は内! - (おにはそと!ふくはうち!)the line they use in the March festival where they throw the beans to keep the house clean.

夏至 (げし) ー summer solstice - 6月 21日
冬至 (とうじ)ー winter solstice - 12月 22日 

柚子湯(ゆずゆ) - an odd day that involves throwing babies into a bathtub filled with tangerines in order to make them smell good. the babies. not the tangerines.

Wakatta
November 19th, 2009, 11:10
こっそり = stealthily, sneakily

enigmaneo
November 19th, 2009, 18:42
こっそり = stealthily, sneakily
This was on the tray ads at McDonald's.

Wanderlust King
November 20th, 2009, 16:26
線刷り (せんずり)To jerk it!
Literally, "thousand rubs"

..brilliant.

hige
November 25th, 2009, 22:54
海月;水母 - くらげ - jellyfish

this is very cool. i will have to try and use it tomorrow...somehow.

now mine:

万年筆 ー まんねんひつ ー Fountain Pen
ピーマン ー Bell Pepper (I'm sure you all know this...but, you know, I didn't)

also...the word for jellyfish in my island's hogen is イラ。。。in case you ever make it to one of the outer islands of okinawa

hige
November 26th, 2009, 10:49

I just tried using that in my teacher`s room and everyone was all :confused:

no one understood it...where did you learn this upgrayyed?

UPGRAYEDD
November 26th, 2009, 12:38
It's probably a super old expression. It's in the dictionary.

kawyn
November 30th, 2009, 11:30
微妙(びみょう)
i think thats the right kanji for it
it is overused for a subtle not so good response
can also be used as a 'sensitive' 'delicate' 'touchy' subject

vertigo_stick
December 1st, 2009, 23:18
柚子湯(ゆずゆ) - an odd day that involves throwing babies into a bathtub filled with tangerines in order to make them smell good. the babies. not the tangerines.

Huh...did Eigo Noto call them tangerines? I have a hard time thinking of yuzu as related at all to a tangerine. According to wikipedia they are believed to be a hybrid of sour mandarin and ichang papeda, whatever that is.

Something I learned today: 故郷 can be read as こきょう or ふるさと even though logic dictates to me only the first pronunciation. Both can also be written as 古里 although WWWJDIC lists the former first in both instances. It seems like ふるさと should only be 古里 and こきょう only 故郷.

jandek
December 1st, 2009, 23:20
当て字 at its finest.

Igor
December 4th, 2009, 15:39
Something I learned today: 故郷 can be read as こきょう or ふるさと even though logic dictates to me only the first pronunciation. Both can also be written as 古里 although WWWJDIC lists the former first in both instances. It seems like ふるさと should only be 古里 and こきょう only 故郷.

This happens a looooot, with all sorts of words. Especially in song lyrics and novels.

jandek
December 18th, 2009, 08:50
let's learning 北海道弁!

しゃっこい - the condition of your hands when you stumble inside after scraping 10 cm of snow and ice off your refrigerator of a vehicle
あぱっくさい - something you don't need. no one really says this though.
いいっしょ? - just like いいでしょ, but makes you feel like a winner
おばんです - who needs こんばんは when you can sling this one to the おばあちゃんたち on your way home from work and watch them swoon.
いいんだべや~ - they probably use this in 東北 too as far as i know, because this originally came from those criminal types in the port cities, i.e., gangster-tough guys from the bay area.
こわい - you say this when you have been running a school marathon and can no longer breathe. here, it doesn't mean that you are scared, just that you need to take a nap.

ざんぎ - the hokkaidian way of saying からあげ、the only indigenous j-food they can serve at KFC.
なんまら - as in, 「なんまらおいしいべ!」. The central 北海道 slang for 'とても.' Also the name of a cheap 居酒屋 with tasty ざんぎ。

i would be interested to learn some of the commonly used peccadilloes from other parts of Japan.

mteacher80
December 18th, 2009, 09:09
むつみかい -- like a normal enkai, or bonennkai or whatever, but its like "lets get along together" party.

mothy
December 18th, 2009, 11:03
I'd like to むつみかい you.

mteacher80
December 18th, 2009, 11:59
because of the crazy western japan snow, and the multiple kanto area earthquakes the past few days. this word just came up with my supervisor

天変地異 てんぺんちい - natural disaster
I like how the kanji compound works to make that meaning.

Sugar SMAP Peas
December 18th, 2009, 21:22
Okayama-ben! 岡山弁

早くしね。=早くしなさい =please do it quickly.
(I <3 this only because in 標準語 this would mean "hurry up and die". =P)

Other words I've picked up in the last four months:
外勤 =がいきん =outside of the office (out of the office)
勤務時間 =きんむじかん =working hours
公用車 =こうようしゃ =city/prefecture vehicle (for use by government/city employees)
親善友好都市= しんぜんゆうこうとし =sister city
地球温暖化 =ちきゅうおんだんか =global warming
光沢紙 =こうたくし =photo paper (for printing pictures from your computer)
普通紙 =ふつうし =regular 8.5x11 (A4) size printer paper
郵送する =ゆうそうする =to send something by mail
印刷する =いんさつする =to print something out

... and many more I'm sure I'm forgetting =P

And also for those of you who want to know ...

H = えっち =sex ... apparently because the Japanese pronunciation of the letter "h" sounds like "ecchi" ... lol =P

mteacher80
December 19th, 2009, 00:57
are you saying all of those are okayamaben.......i mean all of them work in my area too(kansai) so i dont think they are unique to your area....sorry.

Sugar SMAP Peas
December 21st, 2009, 17:40
No no sorry >.< ... just the first one. =P

Virus FM
December 24th, 2009, 15:51
The kids just taught me to parrot 俺様が世界一かっこいい。(ore sama ga sekai ichi kakko ii)

Which I guess means "I'm the coolest in the world." but maybe it means something more like "I'm the baddest motherfucker!"

Waldroon
December 25th, 2009, 13:33
白子 - the gonads of fish containing semen, soft roe, or just the semen alone. Apparently this is called milt in English.

KickOutTheJams
January 14th, 2010, 15:33
風花(かざ・ばな)- light, glittery, powdered snow. The emphasis is on the glitter/sparkle aspect, as the word is supposed to poetically describe snow that falls from the sky like tiny petals from a white flower.

Found that in my Benesse, which gives the following definitions:

(名詞)
1○ 雪の降り積もった風上から、風に吹かれて飛んでくる雪。
2○ 晴天にちらつく雪。 
(由来)小さな白い花のように見えることから。
(参考)「2○」は、大陸の高気圧が広がり、日本に寒気が押し寄せる前ぶれ。
______

名ばかり(な・)- in name only, e.g. 名ばかりの上司 is 'a supervisor/higher-up in name only'

vertigo_stick
January 26th, 2010, 13:16
いかにも軽率だったと反省した。
Ikanimo keisotsu datta to hansei shita.

I reflected that I had been very careless.

悲しい光景に思わず目を背けた。
Kanashii koukei ni omowazu me o somuketa.

Without thinking, I averted my eyes from the sad scene.

Virus FM
January 29th, 2010, 10:22
Here is a list of common, mostly completely unrelated words, split up in to units of 4 pieces each for better solubility, with Jim Breen definitions (mostly, like 99%). Most words are mid level but some lower level words were added for their kanji (like pencil) and some higher level words are mixed in for comprehension (like orbit). It's a little messy but maybe someone will get some stuff out of it.

事実 じじつ fact, truth, reality
お菓子 おかし confections, sweets, candy
貸す かす to lend, loan
湿る しめる to be wet, become wet, de damp

痩せる やせる to lose weight, to be infertile
地方 ちほう じがた area, locality, region, district, province
多大(な、の) ただい heavy, much
被害 ひがい damage

与える あたえる to bestow, grant, confer, present, award, supply, assign, pass a variable, to cause
借りる かりる to borrow, to rent
健康 けんこう health, wholesome
脱ぐ ぬぐ to take off clothes

超 ちょう super, hyper, ultra
副 ふく assistant, associate, vice-, auxillary, supplementarym deputy, duplicate, copy
大統領 だいとうりょう president
関心 かんしん concern, interest

無関心 むかんしん apathetic, indifferent
立派な りっぱな splendid, fine, elegant, handsome,
似る にる to resemble
捥ぎ取る もぎとる to pluck off

蹴る ける to kick
褒める ほめる to praise
富士山 ふじさん Mt.Fuji
新幹線 しんかんせん bullet train

学期 がっき school term
夜更かし(する) よふかし staying up late
国際 こくさい international
優勝(する) ゆうしょう championship or high level victory

傷 きず wound, injury, cut, gash, bruise, scratch, scrape, scar, chip, crack, scratch, nick, flaw, defect,
weakness, weak point, stain on reputation, disgrace, dishonor, emtionally hurt, hurt feelings
原因 げんいん cause, origin, source
荒っぽい あらっぽい rough, rude
軌道 きどう orbit, trajectory, railroad tracks

衛星 えいせい satellite
資源 しげん resources
公立 こうりつ public (institution)
授業料 じゅぎょうりょう tuition fee, course fee

値上げる ねあげる price hike, mark-up
重視 じゅうし importance, stress, serious consideration
鮮明 せんめい vivid, clear, distinct
初 はつ first, new

任命(する) にんめい appointment, nomination, designation
政府 せいふ government, administration
土地 とち plot of land, lot, soil
価格 かかく price, value, cost

解決 かいけつ settlement, solution, resolution
努力 どりょく great effort, exertion, endeavor, effort
社説 しゃせつ editorial, leading article
企業 きぎょう enterprise, undertaking, corporation, business

交際 こうさい company, friendship, association, society, aquaintance
交際費 こうさいひ entertainment expenses
兆 ちょう one trillion
億 おく one hundred million

億兆 おくちょう the people, the multitude, the masses
消費 しょうひ consumption, expenditure
消費量 しょうひりょう amount of consumption
全廃 せんぱい total abolition

事業 じぎょう project, enterprise, business, industry, operations
開拓 かいたく reclamation of wasteland, cultivation, pioneering, pathfinding, trailblazing
着手 ちゃくしゅ to start work on, to undertake, embarkation, launch
交通 こうつう communication, transportation, traffic, intercourse

死者 ししゃ casualty, deceased
交通死者 こうつうししゃ traffic fatality
好調 こうちょう favorable, promising, satisfactory, in good shape
W杯 ワールドカップ

勝利 しょうり victory, triumph, conquest, success, win
初V はつしょうり first victory
NY株 ニューヨークかぶ NY stock exchange
香港 ホンコン Hong Kong

Casual expressions:
なくて -> なくちゃ
なければ -> なきゃ
ては -> ちゃ
では -> じゃ
てもいい -> ていい

構う かまう to mind, care about, look after, interfere with, tease
報告 ほうこく report, information
報告書 ほうこくしょ written report
完成(する) かんせい complete, completion

暮れ くれ year end, sunset, nightfall, end
真夏 まなつ midsummer
太陽 たいよう sun, solar
そっぽ(を向く) turn or look the other way

息抜き いきぬき taking a breather, relaxation, vent hole
公社 こうしゃ public corporation
交通公社 こうつうこうしゃ Japanese Travel Bureau
なかなか very, considerably, easily, readily, fairly, quite, highly, rather, by no means (with neg verb)

結局 けっきょく after all, eventually, in the end
突然 とつぜん suddenly
やや a little, partially, somewhat, a short time, a while
規律 紀律 きりつ order, observance, discipline, rules, law, regulations

緩やか ゆるやか loose, slack, gentle, easy, slow, lenient, liberal, lax
試験的 しけんてき experimental
作る つくる to make
使う つかう to use

共産 きょうさん communisim
主義 しゅぎ doctrine, rule, principle
共産主義 きょうさんしゅぎ communism
憲法 けんぽう constitution

崩壊(する) ほうかい collapse, crumbling, breaking down, caving in, decay (physics)
思考 しこう thought, consideration, thinking
傾向 けいこう tendency, trend, inclination
世界的 せかいてき global, international, world-famous

納豆 なっとう natto
履く はく to put on something on the lower body, to wear a sword, to affix a bowstring to a bow
下駄 げた geta
放送 ほうそう broadcast, broadcasting

雰囲気 ふんいき atmosphere, mood, ambience
寝過ごす ねすごす to oversleep
積極 せっきょく positive, progressive
積極的 せっきょくてき assertive, positive, active, proactive

外向 がいこう extroversion
外向的 がいこうてき extroverted, outgoing
外交 がいこう diplomacy
外交的 がいこうてき diplomatic

逸れる それる はぐれる to stray from the subject, to stray, get lost
話題 わだい topic, subject
断定 だんてい conclusion, decision
蹴る ける to kick, to refuse, reject

避ける 除ける さける to avoid a situation [よける only:] to avoid physical contact with, both: to ward off, to avert
確かに たしかに certainly, surely
通り とおり avenue, street, way
昨夜 ゆうべ さくや last night [夕べ 夕 only:] evening

制度 せいど system, institution, organization
論文 ろんぶん thesis, essay, treatise, paper, article
作曲 さっきょく composition (music)
作曲家 さっきょくか composer

鉛筆 えんぴつ pencil
韓国 かんこく Korea
北朝鮮 きたちょうせん North Korea
読書 どくしょ reading

衰える おとろえる to become weak, to decline, to wear, to abate, to decay, to wither, to waste away
おもしろいことに interestingly
またはor, otherwise
あいまい vague, ambiguous, unclear

悲しそうに sadly
分かりやすい easy to understand
すらすら(と) smoothly
おどおど coweringly, hesitantly, nervously

につれて as X, then Y

何人か なんにんか some people
難問 なんもん perplexity, difficult question, difficult problem
解決 かいけつ settlement, solution, resolution
解決策 かいけつさく solution, solution strategy

応援 おうえん aid, assistance, help, reinforcement, rooting, support, cheering
頼む たのむ to request, beg, ask, to call, order, reserve, to entrust to, to rely on
出来が悪い できがわるい bad marks or results (in school), of poor quality or worksmanship
迂闊 うかつ careless, stupid, thoughtless, heedless, unobservant, inadvertant

うかつに(も) stupidly
弁護士 べんごし lawyer
議論 ぎろん argument, discussion, dispute, controversy
結論 けつろん conclusion

無駄 だめ futility, uselessness, pointlessness
異常 いじょう strangeness, abnormality, disorder
独身 どくしん bachelorhood, single, unmarried, celibate
工学 こうがく engineering

機械 きかい machine, mechanism
記憶(力) きおく(りょく) memory, recollection, rememrance, storage
地球 ちきゅう the earth
環境 かんきょう environment, circumstance

破壊 はかい destruction, disruption, computer application crash
にも拘らず にも関らず にもかかわらず in spite of, nevertheless
のに and yet, despite this, even though, but even so, but even then, however
のに対して のにたいして while, whereas

天文学者 てんもんがくしゃ astronomer
太陽系 たいようけい solar system
惑星 わくせい planet
発見 はっけん discover

計算ミス かいさんミス miscalculation
夕刊 ゆうかん evening paper
科学誌 かがくし science journal
余 よ more than

年余 ねんよ more than a year
周回 しゅうかい going around, circumference, girth, surroundings
周回軌道 しゅうかいきどう circling orbit
到着 とうちゃく arrival

にわたり over
にわたって throughout, over a period, over a span of
観測 かんそく observation
一方 いっぽう on the other hand (but has many meanings)

進展 しんてん progress, development
顧みる 省みる かえりみる to look back (over the shoulder or at the past), to turn around, to review, to reflect to reconsider, to consider (usually with negative), to concern onself about
通信 つうしん correspondence, communication, transmition, news, signal
推進 すいしん propulsion, dirivng force, implementation, promotion (e.g. of a gov policy for example)

推進力 すいしんりょく propulsive power, driving force
朝刊 ちょうかん morning newspaper
入門 にゅうもん primer, manual, entering an institute, introduction to
発表 はっぴょう announcement, publication

燃費 ねんぴ fuel consumption, gas mileage
低燃費 ていねんぴ low fuel consumption
搭載 とうさい loading (on board), equipping, equipped with, built-in
多数 たすう great number, countless, majority

分校 ぶんこう branch school
新材料 しんざいりょう new material, exotic material
マーケティング marketing
合弁会社 ごうべんかいしゃ joint venture or concern

によって according to, by means of, due to, because of
作成 さくせい framing, drawing up, marketing, producing, creating, creation, preparing, writing
文書 ぶんしょ もんしょ document, writing, letter, paperwork, note, records, archives
文章 ぶんしょう sentence, article, composition, writing style

基本 きほん foundation, basis, standard
操作 そうさ operation, management, processing, manipulating to one's benefit, to operate, to manipulate, to fiddle

興奮 こうふん excitement, stimulation, agitation, arousal
恐怖 きょうふ fear, dread, dismay, terror
用心(する) ようじん care, precaution, guarding, caution
思わず おもわず unintentionally, reflexively, spontaneously, involuntarily, instinctively, without
thinking

抱く いだく だく うだく to embrace, to hold, in the arms, to hug, [IDAKU only:] to harbour, bear (a grudge), to entertain a suspicion, [DAKU only:] to sleep with, to sit on eggs
強調 きょうちょう emphasis, highlight, stress, stressed point
養成 ようせい training development
疎か おろそか おろか neglect, negligence, carelessness, [OROKA only:] not to mention, needless to say, not to speak of

混乱 こんらん confusion, disorder, chaos, mayhem
煩がる うるさがる to feel annoyed at
煩わしい わずらわしい troublesome, annoying, complicated
恐ろしい おそろしい terrible, dreadful

会合 かいごう meeting, assembly, association
形式 けいしき form (as opposed to substance), formality, method, system, style, format, appearance, math expression
重んずる to honor, to respect, to esteem, to prize
内容 ないよう contents, matter, substance

乏しい とぼしい meager, scarce, limited, hard up, lacking, scanty, poor
喉 のど throat, singing voice
様子 ようす state, situation, circumstances, appearance, look, aspect, sign, indication

kamukamuume
January 29th, 2010, 13:29
(a boatload of things)

what happened? didn't want to pay for the server space to post your vocabulary review files?

Virus FM
January 29th, 2010, 13:58
I can "host" these files on my hard drive. As I am. I figured that I'd throw this up here in case anyone just wanted some vocab thrown at them.

kamukamuume
January 29th, 2010, 14:01
I can "host" these files on my hard drive. As I am. I figured that I'd throw this up here in case anyone just wanted some vocab thrown at them.

such bitterness.

well in the future, I'd appreciate if you could keep your enlightening posts to a length that doesn't tire my index finger out from scrolling down so much.

Virus FM
January 29th, 2010, 14:06
I'm not bitter, I'm cool as a cucumber. You're the one seemingly irritated by a total stranger taking the time to enrich you. Or it's testing day and you have nothing to do but get angry at someone over the Internet.

kamukamuume
January 29th, 2010, 14:28
I'm not bitter, I'm cool as a cucumber. You're the one seemingly irritated by a total stranger taking the time to enrich you. Or it's testing day and you have nothing to do but get angry at someone over the Internet.

I must admit, you are a pretty cool guy. but this is a thread to mention interesting words you came across, right?

迅速 じんそく - fast, rapid, swift

it was on a sign for a sushi restaurant that I can see from my window.

enigmaneo
January 29th, 2010, 14:29
much appreciated.

vertigo_stick
February 10th, 2010, 15:51
Japanese clothing brand 3can4on is actually not some shitty attempt at English but comes from the 4-word idiom 三寒四温 (sankan shion).

三寒四温 refers to the time of the season in late winter/early spring when the days follow that pattern, three cold four warm. This happens with fluctuations of high and low pressure in Siberia. However, according to Japanese wikipedia, since Japan is also influenced by air pressures originating in the pacific, this phrase has come to mean that the days are getting warmer and spring is on the way, with or without the presence of the exact cycle of 3 cold days, 4 warm ones.

jandek
February 12th, 2010, 09:05
i heard this one last night when some girl came to watch our horrible, horrible band practice. perhaps she would like to play keyboard (or keytar) with us. we were talking about her piano prowess and this came up.

若干 (じゃっかん) - a lil' bit

as in

田舎たろう: ピアノ弾けるの?
田舎さくら: じゃっかん。

also as in:

若干の人種差別

KickOutTheJams
February 13th, 2010, 13:11
紙塩(かみ・じお)- wrapping fish (mostly) in salted paper to gently flavor it

UPGRAYEDD
February 23rd, 2010, 00:32
I never knew the difference between the 通、枚、and 冊 counters until today. Got it from the 1991 2級 test.

kamukamuume
February 23rd, 2010, 00:51
I never knew the difference between the 通、枚、and 冊 counters until today. Got it from the 1991 2級 test.

what is it? 通 is for letters, 枚 is for pages, and 冊 is for books?

visualanguage
February 23rd, 2010, 01:15