PDA

View Full Version : Private Academies in Korea ?

triumphtr79
April 21st, 2009, 21:42
I have a tentative agreement to work for a new English academy in Busan. Normally, I would be reluctant to take a job with a new place, but it says they are sponsored by the Busan City Government and operated by the Busan Herald Newspaper.

Can someone give me some feedback about this? The job details are below. It's either this or I reject their offer and see what Interac can offer me in Japan.

Also, say a place like this goes belly-up? Is the worst the case scenario me having to pay for a flight back?

Full-time English Teachers Wanted at Herald Media Busan Global Village
Why don’t you try our Herald Media Busan Global Village? Our Village is now being built at 389-25, Bujeon-dong, Busanjin-gu, Busan City, South Korea and will open in July. It is not like usual private hagwons, but a semi-public school subsidized by Busan City Government and operated by the Herald Media, which publishes the Korea Herald, Korea’s No. 1 English Newspaper.
- Working hours: 8 working hours 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Salary: 2.2-2.4 million won per month, plus a monthly salary equivalent in annual bonus
- Starting Date: June 1, 2009 (Subject to change)
BENEFITS
- Airfare: Airfare reimbursed only for overseas applicants. A return ticket will be provided upon completion of a one-year contract.
- Free accommodation: Fully-furnished single studio apartment, in the building of which other teachers’ are located.
- E-2 visa sponsorship
- Vacation and holidays: Paid 2-week-vacation and 5-day-sick leave. Unused sick days at the end of a one-year contract can be spent as vacation. Public holidays worked roll into blocks at different times of the year.
- Severance pay (bonus): One-month salary after completion of a one-year contract
- Half medical insurance paid for.
- Half national pension contributions paid for.
HOW TO APPLY
1) Please e-mail your resume (including your phone number), cover letter, copy of the passport photo page and recent photo.
2) Documents for the successful candidate to send upon request later:
- Four passport-size photos
- Original degrees
- Sealed transcript(s)
- Criminal record check: It should be apostillized (legalized or notarized).
- Signed health statement (form to be provided)
- Signed contract (form to be provided)

cvmurrieta
April 22nd, 2009, 10:45
Did you run this tentative agreement across the resident posters on Dave's ESL Cafe's Korean Job Discussion Thread? You could probably get some great feedback from the folks there.

triumphtr79
April 22nd, 2009, 13:14
good idea, thanks.

cvmurrieta
April 22nd, 2009, 13:20
That's what others on Dave's have said. If something is fishy, better to hear it from them than to find out once you are over there. I hope all works out. I may also end up in Korea.