PDA

View Full Version : Interac offered a 7 month contract term. Is that typical?

curtaineater
April 29th, 2009, 00:39
Interac offered me a job but I have one concern (okay, actually tons). They said in the contract that the position is 7 months. Is that normal?

FiercestCalm
April 29th, 2009, 03:12
That doesn't seem normal. Aren't most Interac positions the normal 12 months?

Do they want you to start soon or is it an April starting position?

curtaineater
April 29th, 2009, 04:46
i think interac hires for april and august. if thats the case, i'll obviously be leaving in august. seven months later is april, so its safe to assume that the contract would end there unless i was recontracted, and that one would be 12 months.

even still, i made it in! now i just have to figure out how i'm going to apply for JET at the end of this year from within japan....

Eira
April 29th, 2009, 09:56
You can still apply while you're in Japan. I thought that I read somewhere that if you are currently living in Japan you can bypass the interview stage, but I'm not sure where I found that information or how reliable it was. You should definitely contact the consulate or embassy and ask about it.

patjs
April 29th, 2009, 10:46
Interac offered me a job but I have one concern (okay, actually tons). They said in the contract that the position is 7 months. Is that normal?

I applied at this time last year as a backup to JET. They told me that if you left in August they would be short "replacement" positions for people who had cut out. Then at the end of that contract you can resign for a full year if you want and change locations too.

This worried me because the chances are that a "replacement" position is probably pretty shitty as the last person cut out early.

Also I really doubted it would be as easy to change placements as the guy made it seem.

curtaineater
April 29th, 2009, 12:40
I found that it is normal for those that get sent out in August, but yeah...the replacement thing is scary. Looking at the list of open spots, I did see placed that didn't seem to be in the total sticks. But who fucking knows...at least I'll get to check things out.

Neb
April 29th, 2009, 13:11
So you accepting then?

Tarquin
April 29th, 2009, 14:06
it might be a probationary period, though quite a long one! some private ALTs here have had 6 month probationary periods, maybe they just add that extra month to take it to April.

Trivial
April 29th, 2009, 16:03
The Interac on my island that was here for seven months came because the previous guy cut out. Basically you're finishing out the last guy's contract, and will probably be offered the option to recontract.

curtaineater
April 30th, 2009, 01:17
The Interac on my island that was here for seven months came because the previous guy cut out. Basically you're finishing out the last guy's contract, and will probably be offered the option to recontract.

was the placement utter shit?

reed
May 3rd, 2009, 00:20
Getting adjusted in Japan is different for everyone -- I would not worry that Interac will deny you another round of employment, but you may find seven months a bit short. You'll need to give your decision to sign the next contract long before the current one ends, so that cuts your time to experience and truly evaluate the job to 4-5 months, and if you're on one of those good old "60% pay during holiday months" contracts, the Christmas season will be sobering, as you'll get a 120,000 yen ($12,000 USD) cheque AFTER one of the most expensive and free-time-y months of the year, in shit weather, being pushed to stay on when you'll definitely have had the opportunity to read many better job offers online, and you'll be due for a first-90-days breakdown/flu.

Interac isn't a bad company but they are a big one, and big companies are used to handling turnover in a rough, unfriendly way that makes you feel damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't, regardless of parting terms. As a way to get to Japan it's not the worst you could do -- if you are half-committed, think of it as a stepping stone, and perhaps agree to another contract if it means getting another year-long work visa from them, but you needn't stay on -- especially if you find something better, just pop your head in and tell them "thanks, bye". All of Japan is a hiring hotbed from Feb 1-March 31, with instant jobs in the last weeks of March. You shouldn't fear not finding another job. And if you've got the "ganbaru ki" a 7-month contract at Interac is in my opinion BETTER than a 12-month one! (I hate the one-year contract concept, as a good job is one you'll keep for as long as you please, and a bad one can't possibly keep you there -- labour laws trump contract terms in any case, and only guilt, fear and obligation keep young teachers from running when the alarms sound.)