PDA

View Full Version : After Genki 2

Happyscrappy
May 1st, 2009, 03:58
Assuming you have gotten through the Genki 2 textbook, or know what it contains...what textbook should I work on next? There's no Genki 3 :'(

Naturally I want something that is well-rounded and includes a mix of grammar and vocab, kanji, etc. I memorize kanji pretty quickly, so I'll probably just find out which kanji they test for w/ JLPT tests and study those.

The hardest thing is not knowing what I should learn. IDK where to go next when it comes to grammar. Any advice? Thanks!

Eira
May 1st, 2009, 04:30
I liked this book. (http://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Approach-Intermediate-Japanese/dp/4789007413/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241119545&sr=8-1) I went on to this after using Nakama 2. I'm not sure what level the Genki series would be at after two books, but I'd assume it would be comparable to Nakama. There is a newer version that may have a workbook and CDs, but I haven't used the newer one so I can't vouch for it. I think it covers the same material though.

Also, if you plan on studying specifically for the JLPT, the Kanzen Master Series (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=kanzen+masutaa&x=0&y=0) might be good. I don't know what they do for 3/4kyuu level, but for 2kyuu, they divide it into three or four books by subject (reading, grammar, kanji).

Happyscrappy
May 1st, 2009, 06:02
Thanks, Eira! That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. It's Japan Times also, so it must be right after Genki. I just thought their series ended w/ Genki 2.

I'll also take a look at the Kanzen series - I've looked at the lists and I know all the JLPT 3 stuff, so I should start working towards getting to JLPT2 level now. Long ways to go...

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 06:03
I liked this book. (http://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Approach-Intermediate-Japanese/dp/4789007413/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241119545&sr=8-1) I went on to this after using Nakama 2. I'm not sure what level the Genki series would be at after two books, but I'd assume it would be comparable to Nakama. There is a newer version that may have a workbook and CDs, but I haven't used the newer one so I can't vouch for it. I think it covers the same material though.

That book's a great resource for independent kanji study! I used it to follow up Nakama 2, as well. It's a little dense, but it's a good way to move on to a strong intermediate/advanced level.

ohheythere
May 1st, 2009, 06:19
Eira, what did you think of the Nakama textbooks? We use them over here, too.

Eira
May 1st, 2009, 06:31
I'm biased because Hatasa is the head of the Japanese department here, and I think he's an awesome teacher... So I liked them overall. I think they're a bit lacking in kanji, but other than that I thought they were a pretty good introduction.

ohheythere
May 1st, 2009, 06:48
Yeah, we use Nakama here too because Makino is the head of our department. I like it and Genki for completely different reasons, but thought it offered a pretty good overview.

AliDimayev
May 1st, 2009, 06:49
Genki 3 does not exist but there is a book by the same people, called um Intermediate Japanese by The Japan Times or something....I forget exactly.

Victorius~
May 1st, 2009, 06:51
Not to be rude, but Eira already brought that up in the second post ^^"
Great minds think alike~

dombay
May 1st, 2009, 06:57
Intermediate Japanese is not quite as good as Genki.

I started on the Kanzen Masters and Unicoms for JLPT study but they really do bore you stupid and I think there has to be most effective ways to learn. Genki is a pleasure to use. Kanzen Master is anything but.

Happyscrappy
May 1st, 2009, 07:12
Well..I'm not seeing many other books that pick right up after Genki 2 than this intermediate book. I'm also thinking about picking up 'Learning through dialogue' http://bookclub.japantimes.co.jp/act/en/Detail.do?id=1285 as well.

UPGRAYEDD
May 1st, 2009, 09:14
J-Bridge to Intermediate Japanese

Aozora : Intermediate-Advanced Japanese Communication

Breaking into Japanese Literature

Kanji in Context
Shadowing : Let's Speak Japanese

To name a few

UPGRAYEDD
May 1st, 2009, 09:16
I really like Shadowing. It's a great book/system. Probably a bit more useful than Learning Through Dialogue.

https://www.whiterabbitpress.com/product.php?productid=16500

Atalante
May 1st, 2009, 15:36
Hmm, I started with Minna no Nihongo, did the first two books so I'd guess it would be around the same level as Genki. I moved to Shin Nihongo no Chukyu and though it was pretty good, but it's very, very hardcore, no hand-holding at all. It teaches you a lot of shit in a short period of time, so you need to spend a lot of time studying everything or you'll get lost really fast. I don't have experience with other textbooks, so I'm not quite sure if I would recommend this one since I don't know what the alternatives are...

One of my friends showed me the Nakama book he used in university. It's a good book, but way too easy and I didn't like how the lessons flowed, but I never used it in a classroom environment so maybe it's better for that. If you're living in Japan, there are much better books you can use.

Wakatta
May 1st, 2009, 20:35
I really like Shadowing. It's a great book/system. Probably a bit more useful than Learning Through Dialogue.

https://www.whiterabbitpress.com/product.php?productid=16500

Huh, that seems really interesting. I'm really trying to improve my pronunciation and such lately. The samples all struck me as reasonably natural and believable exchanges. (Not that I would really know, but...)

Unfortunately, my stupid computer's CD drive is busted.

Komadori
May 2nd, 2009, 07:06
Speak of the devil, I found my Nakama book, today. :D Now, I never did get to Nakama II, so would you suggest I have that sent over once I'm in Japan, or just move on to one of the other ones? I'm trying not to bring so many books, which is very tough, because I am very inclined to bring at least a couple with me...

Paladia
May 2nd, 2009, 12:07
Speak of the devil, I found my Nakama book, today. :D Now, I never did get to Nakama II, so would you suggest I have that sent over once I'm in Japan, or just move on to one of the other ones? I'm trying not to bring so many books, which is very tough, because I am very inclined to bring at least a couple with me...

I wouldn't have books sent over. You can Amazon.co.jp nearly EVERYTHING. Also, Nakama isn't that good for self-study, so don't bother. Leave it at home for a review when you get back.

Komadori
May 3rd, 2009, 06:40
I wouldn't have books sent over. You can Amazon.co.jp nearly EVERYTHING. Also, Nakama isn't that good for self-study, so don't bother. Leave it at home for a review when you get back.

I may see if I can find the equivalent books I need on Amazon.jp, thanks.. I'm kinda concerned that I won't find what I'd like to bring over, though. Most of the books I want to take with me are about Mesoamerica...

Atalante
May 7th, 2009, 09:37
Amazon.com can ship books overseas, shipping isn't that bad either. I recently bought a bunch of finance-related books, hardbound and pretty damn heavy, only cost around $10 to ship over.

Happyscrappy
May 12th, 2009, 03:41
I can't find many of these books available in the most current edition in the US. The few that I can find are extremely expensive, and shipping from amazon.co.jp is expensive as can be. I can find the current run of Integrated approach...Inter. Japanese for $52 without the workbook - but I'm starting to think the Kanzen stuff would be better for JLPT2. Are there any other options for someone in the US?

UPGRAYEDD
May 12th, 2009, 12:52
amazon.com

Happyscrappy
May 12th, 2009, 15:07
amazon.com

At amazon.com, the Kanzen master JLPT2 books are:
Grammar: $27
Reading practice: 45
Vocab: 41
Kanji: 42
___
$155

This is a bit too pricey for me, especially since they are about 1500 yen in Japan. But, it's $55 to ship all four from Japan. I am going to pull out my hair and then try to find a different series of books.

enigmaneo
May 13th, 2009, 10:01
I know this isn't about Genki, but I'm studying Minna no Nihongo book 2. When I am done with that book should I be able to pass JLPT 3kyuu?

UPGRAYEDD
May 13th, 2009, 11:32
I know this isn't about Genki, but I'm studying Minna no Nihongo book 2. When I am done with that book should I be able to pass JLPT 3kyuu?

Yea a lot of the material overlaps so you shouldn't have a problem.

Happyscrappy
May 14th, 2009, 00:32
Well, I bought the non-revised version of Intermediate Japanese; it was only $20 shipped, instead of $55 for the new one (minus CDs though). I barely used the audio for Genki, so I figure a system like Shadowing (but more advanced - shadowing looks like it's mainly for beginners) would be better in that department.

I'm going to be working towards JLPT2, so I'll just make flashcards and study with stuff like http://www.jlpt-kanji.com/ and Anki for kanji. I'll probably see if I'm good with Intermediate for now, or if I need to supplement it with kanzen master. I hope I can wait til I get to Japan to buy the kanzen series.

Komadori
May 14th, 2009, 07:48
Well, I bought the non-revised version of Intermediate Japanese; it was only $20 shipped, instead of $55 for the new one (minus CDs though). I barely used the audio for Genki, so I figure a system like Shadowing (but more advanced - shadowing looks like it's mainly for beginners) would be better in that department.

I'm going to be working towards JLPT2, so I'll just make flashcards and study with stuff like http://www.jlpt-kanji.com/ and Anki for kanji. I'll probably see if I'm good with Intermediate for now, or if I need to supplement it with kanzen master. I hope I can wait til I get to Japan to buy the kanzen series.

Nice! I'm using http://www.jlptstudy.com so I'll try your link out as well. Also, you can make your own flashcards with CueCard (http://www.wadeb.com/cuecard) freeware. It allows you to embed pictures and sound, and will also print the cards out, if you wish. I'm just now finishing up adding the vocab list for JLPT4 into the program.

Happyscrappy
May 14th, 2009, 08:19
I actually ordered today via amazon the White Rabbit flashcards $34 w/ free shipping. While this is a little pricy, I was trying out the online flashcard programs and I just felt like custom use was a little too clunky. I'm sure many can manage, but I get frustrated with program designs.

I also have a problem with text on the screen not seeming as 'real' or important as printed text. I guess it's the same reason why I'd rather read a book than use one of those darned ebook readers.

enigmaneo
May 14th, 2009, 12:25
I have the white rabbit cards too. And the tuttle cards. And I use the online thing. I really just use Anki Flashcards for reinforcement but I use the actual cards to learn them.

UPGRAYEDD
May 14th, 2009, 15:58

The final 2/5ths of 'Shadowing' is at the JLPT 1/2 level. The previews only give you a peak at the beginning of the book.

But if you want to do more advanced shadowing then that I would check out 'Breaking into Japanese Literature' because the audio files are on the net and you can use that. The minus part of it is that it's purely lit and not exactly daily conversation there.