PDA

View Full Version : Why!?!

dobharrison
May 14th, 2004, 18:50
I'm curious to know why people are going to Japan. What are everyone's real reasons? Because it sounded cool? To pick up Japanese chicks? To study the language? Because of the money?

For me, the following reasons apply:

1. It's been a dream since I was 15 and first saw 'Akira'.
2. The money is good and will allow me to start saving a bit.
3. I actually enjoy EFL, though this may not be relevant to JET!

Be honest!

Dulcinea
May 14th, 2004, 20:14
1. I don't want to live in the US anymore.
2. I want to pay off my college loans.
3. I'd like to learn a third language.
4. I'd like to have less resposibility.
5. It would be nice to see new parts of the world.
6. I'd like to get to all seven continents. This will be number four. I figure Europe will be easy. Africa would be nice. And after I move to Argentina, Antartica will be easy.

Chiara
May 14th, 2004, 20:33
I'm not challenged by my current job, don't have any ties really, and need a change. I've loved Japanese culture since I was about 12 and saw Akira for the first time, and loved it when I visited last year. I see this as an amenable way to get back there!

Ger
May 14th, 2004, 20:39
I've always wanted to travel but not in the normal way. A tourist can't experience a culture unless they emerse themselves as much as is possible.

The reason i chose Japan is that I've always been a bit of a comic geek at heart and grew up loving manga and the like.

dobharrison
May 14th, 2004, 20:43
I agree with your tourist comment, Ger. Visiting a country for a couple of weeks always makes me want to stay longer and experience more. Besides, I don't have enough money to holiday in Japan so working there is the only option at the moment.

philmine1
May 14th, 2004, 20:45
I personally hated Akira, how can you fall in love with Japanese culture after watching that?!? Kids in bike gangs and the end of the word is not what I'd describe as culture, maybe I just didn't get it.... both painful times!

I love Japanese people, I love Japanese food, I love Sake, I love the landscape, I love technology and gadgets, I'm bored of England and want to travel and live in other countries before deciding which one is right for me.

Chiara
May 14th, 2004, 20:52
It's an indirect thing. Saw Akira, which led me to watch more Anime, start reading Manga, did a project at school on Japan, and it led on from there...

dobharrison
May 14th, 2004, 20:53
Akira was revolutionary when it was released in the west. Of course I didn't think it painted an accurate image of Japan! I was impressed with the style and talent and this intrigued me. That led to me learning more about Japan and discovering more examples of modern Japanese art.

Dynamis
May 14th, 2004, 20:55
I wanted to learn Japanese, and I figured Japan was the best place. Teaching English is pretty much the only way to support myself while im there learning. And then it all went downhill, i got interested in Japanese culture and stuff. Now learning Japanese is just so i have a better time once i'm there!

Matt

unknown
May 14th, 2004, 21:03
1> get away from England!
2> i don't feel like working straight after uni, hey..i'm a bum...
3> i absolutely love manga and anime..i am a freak!!
4> its the cheapest way to get to Japan and for the longest amount of time
5> learn another language
6> gadgets!!
7> money :D

Oh and i suppose experience of teaching??

dobharrison
May 15th, 2004, 00:06
Oh and i suppose experience of teaching??

Don't think you'll be getting much of that!

starnia
May 15th, 2004, 01:13
1. At the time I applied, I desperately needed a new adventure.

2. I know nothing about Japan. My mom is Mexican, father Eastern European, step-father African-American, step-mother Western European, but I know nothing of the Asian culture.

3. I wish I had studied abroad in college

4. I want to master another language

5. The winds are calling

topsterloin
May 15th, 2004, 01:32
1. need TEFL experiece (let's HOPE that i get some; if not maybe others will hire me on the assumption that i did)

2. one of my favorite teachers was my photography teacher back in high school and i can still picture quite clearly his photography of japan (seriously i was in awe of it)

3. sick of kissing ass for 20 large a year...may as well be doing it for 30-35

4. new trails and new people

5. part of the plan to get as many languages under my belt as i can (wish i hadn't realized this so late in life

6. hopefully i'll get some loans paid

theangelkiller
May 15th, 2004, 02:49
akira was really interesting in that it was one of the first anime to be internationally distributed AS japanese -- robotech, starblazers, and speed racer all underwent substantial modifications for their american releases--and it prompted a new approach to anime theory, when critic Ueno Toshiya saw an Akira poster while touring the then war-torn baltics and started thinking about techno-orientalism.
anyway, that's my (extremely nerdy) reason for being interested in Akira, aside from the idea of boso zoku culture the film creates.
N teh mu5ic r0xorz!
-m

adammoogle
May 15th, 2004, 02:55
am i the only person who saw laputa before akira?

i was 8 i think, it was on itv and i'd never seen anything like it...never watched anime again till i was 18 though.

i still have the image of the robot bringing its dead mate flowers with all the birdies...

i wanna be 8 again! :cry:

Canuck
May 15th, 2004, 05:08
Hey all, this is a question that'll get asked over and over, so may as well work out a good answer for it!

As for me, I've always been interested in different cultures, people, places, etc, since I grew up in a very suburban, conservative christain community. Japan in particular stood out, probably due all the Japanese things around, ie, Sony, Toyota, and so on that I began to realize came from Japan. Why Japan?! Also a bit of the anime, since I grew up loving Astro Boy, yet another Japanese import. The more I learned about Japan, the more intrigued I became. By the time I finished high school I'd decided to take a major in Asian Studies, and began studying Japanese casually. I really love the language and want to learn it more fluently, so going to Japan is the obvious thing to do. I learned about JET my first year of Uni and started planning for it from then.

So I'm off to Japan! And seriously, what the hell else am I supposed to do with a BA Asian Studies in Eastern Canada?!

meowcarrot
May 15th, 2004, 06:44
My parents threw me into an immersion school when I was in first grade, so basically I've been indoctrinated towards an interest in Japanese langauge and culture from a very young age. Also, I want to go to graduate school in International Relations with a specialty in Asian Studies and I feel like I need to have a stronger (near-native) level of language proficiency to do justice to any program that accepts me.

cottamg
May 15th, 2004, 11:21
Where to begin? I have so many reasons for going to Japan.

I suppose I grew up watching astroboy, and then when I was young we had a Japanese exchange student. That probably kicked off my interest the most. Yuko was so different from everyone else I knew..

Then later on my friends and I started watching anime, this is a looong time ago. Starting with Fist of the North Star, Akira and the classic Urutsuokidoji. :)

These days I watch a fair bit of anime, I love manga (the stories are great). I have several Japanese friends, except they are all returning to Japan.

I'm a geek, so I love technology and gadets... where better to go for that than Japan?

Oh and I lived in the UK for a year, and travelled a bit of Europe, and I love travelling, so I really want to see Asia. Japan is nice and close and so I can use it to see more of the world.

So these factors and many others made me WANT to go to Japan, the question was ... how?.... I'd heard of JET, and so I looked into it more, and it seemed like the perfect way to get to Japan and then stay. (while getting paid really well).

llumynia
May 15th, 2004, 11:49

campa86
May 15th, 2004, 14:46
Great Question.

for everyone its a different answer, As for myself there are two different types of answers the first one being what i give people who dont know me that well. That is Ive been working at my college's ESL program for the past 3 years and this is a another step in my career. The real answer is that I want to live life. When im 80 I want stories that i can tell my children, I want to have life with stories that is worth telling. anyway...

I want to HAVE FUN DANG NAB IT

feenix
May 16th, 2004, 08:15
adventure!!

Japan makes your head buzz. You have to think so much because everything is so different, all of the time, and you're dealing with cultural differences, a language barrier, being a minority, keeping your mind always open to new experiences... You have to think SO much, change SO much, learn SO much. It's strenuous, it's tiring, it's WONDERFUL!! You go to bed every night with so many experiences in just ONE day that no one back in your "old" life could ever begin to understand or appreciate.

Maybe I'm just a geek, but I love it!

I'll have to resound this admirable wanderlust! Japan has been an interest of mine since my college days - time has incubated a desire for the culture, the language and the remoteness from everything that I have come to accept as "home". The challenege of making a new home immersed in another culture fascinates and beckons a challenge to me. If this is the pinnacle of "geekdom", so be it!

I have been working away at learning the Japanese language for years and realize that immersion may be the key to breaking through from my shy, broken phrases towards the energetic cadence of a native speaker.

Oh yeah. Teaching too. Frequently by strangers and acquaintances alike, I have been paid the compliment that I have a knack for teaching and explaining things. Why not consider the talent and get paid for it as well? I could just as well do that here at home (which I may do at one point...) but the world calls me. My definition of life is stretching oneself beyond borders and their limitations. I want to see how other people live in other parts of the world and experience it firsthand.

NSboarderchic
May 16th, 2004, 11:35
I'm escaping the evil monkey that lives in my closet.

Seriously, I took Japanese tea ceremony for 2 years in college and kept hearing how great JET is. That, and when I graduated I said the 2 things I wanted to do were be a ski bum and go to SE Asia. Seeing as I can't afford to take a long trip there, this is even better.

Oh, and I want to go for as long as possible without getting a 'real' job, so I figure this'll put me to at least 26. Yes!

Fyrey
May 16th, 2004, 13:06
Hey adammoogle - I loved Laputa too!

My great introduction to Anime I believe. Although I couldn't remember the name of the film, in the end I started having weird dreams about some freaking air city. And then, 6 months ago, after nigh on 17 years of asking people (while drunk and reflective) and them saying, u freak, ur thinking of "Mysterious Cities of Gold" or "Ulysses something", I found the name Laputa when I watched Spirited Away and researched the director.

Alas, I now have Laputa (and I didn't get it via my broadband connection - no, i didn't). And it is still awesome. Although shorter than I remembered.

On topic - reasons for why I want to go to Japan.

1) Why not?
2) See 1)

yabighoor
May 17th, 2004, 23:54
I want to travel and don't want to do the same old places that everyone else does (example 3 friends recently went to oz and met lots of other people from my home town). I want to learn Japanese properly and to immerse yourself in the culture is probably the best way to do it (even though when i'm trying to translate i think in irish...strange).

PS. I can't wait!!!!!!! :wink:

professor_chimpenstein
June 22nd, 2004, 23:16
thought Id bring back an old post from before I existed on here - I am going to Japan cos I want to get out of my godforsaken hollyoak filled snob of a town and experience the world.

That plus the manga fan in me swung me towards Japan.

Oh and I also wanna know what its like to be drunk and nearly upside down compared with England.

Plus I wanna meet a load of new people - thats you people and the Japanese! Its gonna be the best!!!!!!!!!

Woo woo! woo woo!

I get over excited far too easily

stinky_hippie
June 23rd, 2004, 01:25
I always meet the best people when travelling. It's a concentration of like minded people with somwhat similar interests. Right off the bat I know there is something special about each and every one of y'all because you aren't afraid to get off your ass and venture out into the unknown. I've made my best friends, from all over the world, while travelling in different places. The mentality just changes. Over time you can see psudeo egos and personalites develop on pages like this and BD, but I imagine that the bulk of JET's ignore these pages and are simply enjoying the present. I love being exposed to the different worldly perspectives each of you will ultimately offer.

Why Japan? why not. It's just another interesting, different place. If I found myself making excuses as to why I should not go there, then I feel like I would be contradicting myself and what I think I stand for.

Mostly, I think I just want to have my mind blown. I like to fuck with myself sometimes. sorry if the f-bomb offended anyone, but if Bono can say it in a non-sexual manner and escape the wrath of the FCC, I feel i should be able to as well.

z

cottamg
June 23rd, 2004, 02:29
I have to say, this is probably one of the most interesting threads in the forum.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my reasons for going.. it's kind of a mix of what everyone else has been saying. To complex to elaborate on, but I'm sooooo happy that I will finally be going.

Gareth

Cantdosleepflower
June 23rd, 2004, 03:59
Erm...

I was graduating, and didn't want a job. My parents were on my back about 'my future'. I saw the JET poster and applied.

Noble, huh?

NSboarderchic
June 23rd, 2004, 04:36
Erm...

I was graduating, and didn't want a job. My parents were on my back about 'my future'. I saw the JET poster and applied.

Noble, huh?

Oh man did I get that from my dad after I graduated. Kept it up for 2 solid years whilst I was a snowboard bum, THEN to make matters worse, after I got accepted to JET he said, "so do you have any ideas/plans for what you're going to do after JET?". WTF?!?! This is the first time in my life that I've had a WHOLE YEAR in my future planned, shouldn't he be happy? sigh...

MrSnrub
June 23rd, 2004, 05:22
In no particular order

1/ Restless, want an adventure.
2/ Spent some time with some nice Japanese people while overseas, obviously different, I like to understand other peoples point of view (not that I am PC at all - just always want to know why).
3/ Always had a soft spot for Asia/Asians (maybe 'coz of the couple of years as a kid I spent in Singapore).
4/ Came back to NZ a few years ago and one of my friends was deep into anime, after initital resistance even though I have always liked animation I was persuaded to watch. Found some I really liked (started with Miyazaki and went from there) and it was also intriguing about what the context and assumptions were.
5/ Went there on holiday and there was so much I didn't understand and so much that looked interesting I wanted to try it out.

Well that's just some of the mix anyway.

socalDave
June 23rd, 2004, 16:14
1. Been around the world several times, at least to the places I wanted, and Japan is one of the places I still really want to explore.
2. I've never lived in Japan but it always feels calm, like the eye of a hurricane I suppose.
3. I want to become fluent in the one language that I couldn't (didn't find German, Spanish, French, Swedish challenging).
4. I find myself getting along w/Japanese people better than I do with people in USA.
5. I've taught English in situations similar to JET and found it fun and very different from all other jobs I've had.
6. Pay off college loans.
7. And really just get to live on my own, no roommates, no insane studio apartments for a grand/month.

AND, NSboarderchic gets mad props for the Family Guy reference!

[quote="NSboarderchic"]I'm escaping the evil monkey that lives in my closet.

Nikbot
June 23rd, 2004, 16:59
1. Don't know what I want to do with myself, so I decided to take a break, and where better than Japan?
2. I haven't travelled and I want to experience life in a developed nation with a totally different culture.
3. My best mate is a current JET.
4. I want to pick up another language.
5. The money's good and the work's not too strenuous.
6. The chicks :D

Shinikenshi
June 24th, 2004, 03:11
1. Excellent way to pay off school loans.
2. Trying to relive the "study abroad" experience through JET. :D
3. Want to master Japanese for use in future academic/business endeavors.
4. Japan rail system good. San Diego rail system not so good. :?:
5. Starting experience in teaching (might actually want to be a teacher/professor/etc. one of these days. Oh my!).
6. Skewed attempt to bolster graduate school application.
7. Japanese food is great and cheap!

'nuff said. :)

Chris

Hannah
June 24th, 2004, 19:57
Hi all!

I'm amazed how many people listed Manga and anime as there reason for going to Japan! Am I the only person who has little knowlege/enthusiasm for manga or anime?!! I'm not criticising, just know nothing about it! :?

Anyway, my reasons... They actually changed over the application period and since I got my placement!

I have had a Japanese pen-friend since 1992. Have wanted to vistit ever since then. (Does anyone else remember the short tv series Andi Peters did on Japan called 'TNT'... must have been around 1992 / 93?! I recorded it and watched it over and over! I wish I could find it now, but I think my Mum recored over it, tut!!)

Later on, I decided I wanted to travel/live abroad at some point in my life, but after graduating I was focussed on getting a teaching job (teaching qualifications outdate quickly in the UK anyway.)

Ended up buying a house, getting full-time perminant teaching post and amongst lots of other stuff found that I had been teaching for 6 years and hadn't done the travelling thing yet!

Met someone who had lived/worked in Japan.

Went to Australia on holiday and met some Japanese people, Aussies, Brits and Kiwis who had/still lived and worked in Japan including a Brit who had done the JET thing. (This is the first time I heard about JET.)

Thought JET would be a cool thing to do, especially as I had always wanted to visit Japan (inspired by penfriend) but had never made the link between working abroad and visiting Japan, always just thought about holidaying!) Doh!

After spending my whole life in school, uni and then school again, teaching for 6 years now without a gap year, I felt that the time was right! While having a gap year, but staying in teaching (sort of!)

My reasons for going have changed more from having a 'gap year' (although I still want this!) to become more about imersing myself in a new and different culture and meeting a whole bunch of new people! 2004JET and IthinkImlost did this! Ah, sniff sniff! :cry:

My reasons are very similar to Starnia (see above)

In a nutshell; widen my horizons!

Now, I am just totally excited about the whole experience, and hope to
make the most of it!

It is not in my personality to plan too far ahead, so I have no definite plans for life after JET! Just have to see what comes along!

Sorry, this is a bit of an essay!

Hannah X

Elmo_Chic
June 24th, 2004, 23:19
1. I finished my degree a year and half ago - was not as expected (finish uni - get a teaching job). No work available so I am now a casual teacher but don't get enough work! So i thought a year away would save me from sinking into depression over lack of work.

2. I wanted to learn to write in Japanese - it looks cool. I actually have a purpose now to learn it.

3. I have made a few Japanese friends.

4. I like learning about other cultures/have a particular interest in Asian cultures.

5.Satisfied my requirements of life right now - children (not my own), work, money and A LIFE!

6. Plus, how cool will it be to say that i worked in Japan for a year!

charliemac
June 25th, 2004, 09:31
I ...have been interested in Japanese culture since I was about nine or ten
want to be fluent in at least one other language besides English
took 4 years of Japanese language classes at Uni.
figure it will be good on the resume if I look for a job in the computer/console game insdustry when I return
love the food, love the art

r_a_y
June 25th, 2004, 11:46
I've been doing a lot of thinking about my reasons for going.. it's kind of a mix of what everyone else has been saying. To complex to elaborate on, but I'm sooooo happy that I will finally be going.

Pretty similar, i've got lots of reasons, many of which contradict each other. When people ask why, I just give some random reason like the dozens other people have listed above. I don't lie or anything, but most of the reasons listed are at least somewhat true for me.

To be honest though i heard about this job along time ago and thought, "hey, that sounds fun". Now for me, this is an amazing thing. I HATE work. This is the only job i've ever heard of that sounds fun, and that I could reasonably actually do.

During university i pretty well decided to drop out (a long and moderately funny story that i'll save for another time). The only thing that changed my mind was when I found out that for JET i needed some sort of a university degree. So i switched programs from my current one which i hated and would take another 3 years to finish to the shortest and easiest one i could find, which was Math which i could finish in only a year and a half.

So here I am, with a pointless degree, on my way to Japan, just cause, well, I felt like it. I've never travelled before, at all. Never lived outside of the province I was born in. Never tried learning another language. Never done any teaching.

After they ask "why are you going to Japan?" people usually follow up with "what are you going to do after you get home?". In response to that, I usually just lie. It just seems easiest on everyone involved. Telling them the truth would just involve an extremely long speil like this, which would tell them far more about the inner workings of my mind than they ever wanted to know.

Well if you've read all this, you must be a truely bored and stubborn person, so congratulations to you. Hopefully you've gained some small understanding into the mind of a very very weird person, aka me.

NSboarderchic
June 25th, 2004, 12:51

[quote=NSboarderchic]I'm escaping the evil monkey that lives in my closet.

sweet! Thanks! I was wondering if anyone got that :)

socalDave
June 25th, 2004, 15:09
Yeah baby! :D I watch FG everynight (I love Adult Swim!!!) and even when it's not on TV (got both DVD sets).

"Oh look, there's a Crunchberry under the fridge."

[quote=NSboarderchic]I'm escaping the evil monkey that lives in my closet.

sweet! Thanks! I was wondering if anyone got that :)

steelqueen
June 30th, 2004, 17:39
I have this... mesmerizing friend. Well, actually, she's a beautiful lovable creative caring sensitive intelligent humble person... anyway, in grade six our class was given the assignment of "pick a country and do a project on it". Much plagiarizing of defenseless encyclopediae ensued. But not her. Her mother works for a Japanese businessman and had taken a few trips to Japan. Thus, my friend had some pretty good knowledge of the country (and a big interest in the art). Well, her presentation was good. And she is, as I said, mesmerizing. So that's how I became initially interested in, much least aware of, Japan.

Being as I now knew she had an interest in Japan, I started poking the subject with a stick so I could talk to her about it some more, and be further mesmerized. (She'd make an awesome JET - she's excellent with kids - but she's working her ass off to get into her chosen career... I could go into a rant about how it's unfair in general that she hasn't managed yet, but I won't.) Maybe it was that early influence, but I discovered that yes, Japan is interesting!

Anyway, I like anime, and manga, and various video games originating in Japan. But that's just a sort of perk. In fact, when most of the manga I could get my hands on was in French, they were excellent study aids. :wink: I think much more of my knowledge comes from the numerous history, sociology, and anthropology courses I've taken on the topic than anime. It also helps that I have access to a library with translations of some of the best known classic literature from Japan, and some other interesting things as well.

One of the things that fascinates me most about Japan is that they do have a more homogenous society than I'm used to. They aren't made up of the descendants of colonists and emigrants from all over the world. They haven't been conquered and reconquered so many times that they are not the people they consider their culture to be stemmed from... Not like, say, Greece, another favourite of mine. It's like their history runs in a almost straight line. I need to see this first hand.

As to why JET, well, I'm not really sure. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm really a good candidate for the program. I had intended to major in Linguistics with the ultimate goal of becoming a translator... Didn't work out. I'm not widely travelled - I essentially left my home country for the first time earlier this year. I have no real experience teaching. Basically I'm weighing myself. I may yet chicken out in the name of not needlessly providing competion for someone better suited.

You can really tell I'm writing this on sleep-deprivation.

P.S. I've never seen Akira, and probably never will. I just don't like the art style.

SteelQueen
"Exit light/ Enter night/ Take my hand/ We're off to Neverneverland."

dobharrison
June 30th, 2004, 22:22
Steelqueen, your signature has brought back painful memories for me. Very traumatic! :)

Sinbad
July 1st, 2004, 00:19
1. I've never been to Asia before, and wanted to experience how different life could be. Japan seemed like a good place to do this - as the JET lifestyle allows gives you the free time and money to really do and see a lot of the country, and see a bit of the rest of Asia.

2. Lots of Mountains = lots of Snow = lots of snowboarding.

3. I wanted to learn another language.

4. I'm bored of my job and it's time to move on, try something different and live life while I still can. Life is a collection of memories and I want to get a good collection together to look back at when I'm old and frail.

5. I've always wanted to buy beer from a vending machine.

mchriste
July 1st, 2004, 01:57
1. wanted to go back to Japan.
2. do something with a degree in Japanese language
3. change of scenery and to actually live on my own

NSboarderchic
July 1st, 2004, 10:42
Yeah baby! :D I watch FG everynight (I love Adult Swim!!!) and even when it's not on TV (got both DVD sets).

"Oh look, there's a Crunchberry under the fridge."

]

SocalDave, you rock!
I need to buy those before I leave, I've been stealing my friend's. But I did get the Simpsons Season 4 last week, and I want to get the 3-pack of Futurama on Amazon.com. Yeah, Adult Swim kicks ass, but it's not on till midnight here :(

Mob boss: "So tell me, why do you want me to eliminate this Count Chocula?"
Captain Crunch: "That bastard has been spreading lies, my cereal does not cut the roof of your mouth! With all respect"