PDA

View Full Version : The Veil Has Been Lifted

Trivial
May 11th, 2009, 13:49
In a move that I've been meaning to do for a while now, I have removed the ability of all non-staff to turn invisible on the forums. I've gotten several requests to do this, and I personally can't think of any reasons why any normal user would need to be invisible.

If you have a problem with this, let me know why here.

Also, you've lost the ability to delete your posts. Muahahaha! :096:

Tarquin
May 11th, 2009, 13:51
--plz ignore--

(you know the above is gonna happen a lot now, right?)

Coollead
May 11th, 2009, 13:51
Hmmm.

I don't see why removing the ability to become invisible does anything?

Some people just don't like advertising what thread they are reading. It's a little stalkerish sometimes.

WesleyCrusher
May 11th, 2009, 13:52
Why the deleting posts thing? Some posts could become incriminating/embarrassing over time.

Pablo668
May 11th, 2009, 13:53
Hmmmm, that means my stupidity will be inscribed here for a thousand years.......

Trivial
May 11th, 2009, 13:54
Why the deleting posts thing? Some posts could become incriminating/embarrassing over time.

You can still edit them out. It just takes out the Anonymous bump factor. It shouldn't change too much except letting people know that "Yes, there was a post here."

Tarquin
May 11th, 2009, 13:56
if you wanna put a useful feature in, rainbow genki had a thing where if you posted and someone posted a response before you, you were able to review the new post beforehand, thus avoiding double postings.

Something like that might be useful (if made optional)

Trivial
May 11th, 2009, 13:57
if you wanna put a useful feature in, rainbow genki had a thing where if you posted and someone posted a response before you, you were able to review the new post beforehand, thus avoiding double postings.

Excellent suggestion, I'll look into it now.

houk
May 11th, 2009, 14:00
i think this is the best place for me to mention that holy crap your SO is goddamn adorable trivial. pukily so!

Gusuke
May 11th, 2009, 14:03
You know what would be a useless albeit awesome feature?

Graphic representations of our post counts, charted out. It'd be interesting to see spikes/lulls in our posting here.

Trivial
May 11th, 2009, 14:04
Here?

Gusuke
May 11th, 2009, 14:05
Well, not in the thread, but being able to see it in the user CP.

Trivial
May 11th, 2009, 14:06
lol I was talking to Houk, but I get what you're saying. This could actually be possible. I'm having a bit of a slow day, so I'll look into it

b.limey
May 11th, 2009, 14:07
Why would anyone request that you disable invisiblity? I don't get it.

Tarquin
May 11th, 2009, 14:08
Why would anyone request that you disable invisiblity? I don't get it.

IT'S CLAIR!
THEY ARE ON TO US! RUN!

mothy
May 11th, 2009, 14:25

Yeah that Rainbow Genki place was awesome. Why can't you make this place more like that?

ten_of_spades
May 11th, 2009, 14:27
I liked the invisibility option and would like it back, to be honest. Who the hell has a bug up their ass about other people not appearing as online? Get off my case, Big Brother.

houk
May 11th, 2009, 15:03
lol I was talking to Houk, but I get what you're saying. This could actually be possible. I'm having a bit of a slow day, so I'll look into it
okay, maybe not "best" but it was the first thread i had open that i knew you'd be checking when i thought to make the comment

id just happened to see your fb profile pic and thought it deserved mention

Atalante
May 11th, 2009, 15:19
Boo, I was a big fan of invisibility. I don't see what removing it gains, it's easy enough to stalk people's activity here. Some of us didn't like that.

twiceinalifetime
May 11th, 2009, 15:22
I never used invisibility, but I also don't really see how it's anyone's business who may or may not be lurking. What am I missing other than people wanting to be nosy?

Wakatta
May 11th, 2009, 19:14
I respectfully submit that "I can't think of a reason someone would want to do this" is not necessarily a good reason to ban doing it. Unless there is some concrete harm that invisibility is expected to cause...why bar people from doing it?

ten_of_spades
May 11th, 2009, 19:41
Ok, this is bothering me to the point where I couldn't even enjoy making the little girls in the tennis club flinch when I was serving:

What was the nature of these requests to remove this option? Not to bust a spleen here, but were the complaints of the "I'm an insecure little bitch who so desperately fears abandonment that I need to see as many people online as possible or else my unresolved daddy issues start cropping up" variety?

Seriously, can you explain?

Paul
May 11th, 2009, 20:43
I have to agree, there just doesn't seem to be a valid reason for removing the option.

yohgrl23
May 11th, 2009, 21:16
it seems to me if anyone wanted people to be uninvisible (wow my grammar is gone to shit today) they would want it to be the mods/owners... so making the feature unavailable to everyone but them is kind of pointless.

fidelity
May 11th, 2009, 21:45
I respectfully submit that "I can't think of a reason someone would want to do this" is necessarily a good reason to ban doing it. Unless there is some concrete harm that invisibility is expected to cause...why bar people from doing it?
This. I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to do it either, but I also can't think of any way it could cause any harm.

Tarquin
May 12th, 2009, 15:43
I'd quite like to keep hidden while browsing during work hours, CLAIR might get pissy one day and start causing a hissy fit and bored old British Chris might feel the brunt of it.
Then I'd have to explain how I am online at my desk on my laptop which as far as they are concerned has no internet...

AliDimayev
May 12th, 2009, 17:47
Can't you jsut go back and edit it down to one random word or something, though?

ten_of_spades
May 12th, 2009, 17:54
Alright, Ali's back.

Also, it seems even Trivial ignores the Site Related section. I still want to know the nature of these damn complaints about the invisible option. DADDY ISSUES, MUCH?

Sciby
May 12th, 2009, 19:46
He doesn't ignore it, he's probably busy with stuff.

Mr. Plainview
May 12th, 2009, 20:08
yeah, stuff like getting a brother or sister right now

ten_of_spades
May 12th, 2009, 20:25
yeah, stuff like getting a brother or sister right now

You're getting too cryptic again

Sciby
May 12th, 2009, 20:29
Trivial literally has a baby brother or sister on the way, so he's probably stuck on the phone to back home, etc.

ten_of_spades
May 12th, 2009, 20:33
Trivial literally has a baby brother or sister on the way, so he's probably stuck on the phone to back home, etc.

Interesting. Must've missed that then.

Well, since he's indisposed, can you clarify that invisibility bitching, Sciby?

AliDimayev
May 12th, 2009, 22:02
Half sister/brother or full blown brother/sister?

In any case. Congratulation!

Sciby
May 12th, 2009, 22:37
Interesting. Must've missed that then.

Well, since he's indisposed, can you clarify that invisibility bitching, Sciby?

Nope, because I don't know the finer details about it. :) I certainly haven't heard of any complaints but even if there isn't, sometimes a site owner wants to have things a certain way.

I'm not sure why people want to be invisible anyway - aside from the fact that it masks the stupid amounts of time that they loiter on a forum... which is why I do it. What are some reasons?

BritishChris's reason is valid but not really realistic from his employer's end - the powers that be just have to check their web proxy logs to see what's happening. Yeah, they could check the user's online details, but even then, that's not entirely accurate because of timeouts and whatnot. Even then, they have to know which username is him, etc, etc.

As for why not invisibility? I dunno. For clarity, for complete disclosure of what's going on, *shrug* I'm sure Trivial will tell y'all.

Also it could be that the site owner just wants to turn it off. :)

ten_of_spades
May 12th, 2009, 23:33
Nope, because I don't know the finer details about it. :) I certainly haven't heard of any complaints but even if there isn't, sometimes a site owner wants to have things a certain way.

I'm not sure why people want to be invisible anyway - aside from the fact that it masks the stupid amounts of time that they loiter on a forum... which is why I do it. What are some reasons?

BritishChris's reason is valid but not really realistic from his employer's end - the powers that be just have to check their web proxy logs to see what's happening. Yeah, they could check the user's online details, but even then, that's not entirely accurate because of timeouts and whatnot. Even then, they have to know which username is him, etc, etc.

As for why not invisibility? I dunno. For clarity, for complete disclosure of what's going on, *shrug* I'm sure Trivial will tell y'all.

Also it could be that the site owner just wants to turn it off. :)

I leave my browser open when I'm away from my desk, so it's mostly so it doesn't look like I"m on 20 hours a day. And it's also how I keep my MSN online settings, so I can send messages without getting 20 unsolicited ones. Really, it's nobody's business* who is online or not.

*I think an acceptable compromise would be this: have the mods/admins see your real online status, but let it show as offline for regular posters.

Ini
May 12th, 2009, 23:36
why does trivial need to compromise?

Sciby
May 12th, 2009, 23:36
*I think an acceptable compromise would be this: have the mods/admins see your real online status, but let it show as offline for regular posters.

We can already. :)

ten_of_spades
May 12th, 2009, 23:38
We can already. :)

Big Brother!!:o

mothy
May 13th, 2009, 00:01
Big Brother!!:o

Hey that's my pet name for Sciby! Find your own! I want him to know who it is calling him that in the dark of his bedroom.

Trivial
May 13th, 2009, 01:04
VIPs can now go invisible. Other users can't.

fidelity
May 13th, 2009, 01:09
I'm gonna go invisible right now!

Now I'm invisible! You can't see me!

*takes off pants*

Ini
May 13th, 2009, 01:10
mods can still see you

you might want to get that mole checked out

mothy
May 13th, 2009, 09:02
mods can still see you

you might want to get that mole checked out

I know you've been checking it out for some time.

Ini
May 13th, 2009, 10:43
What can I say, malignant tumors just push my buttons