PDA

View Full Version : Leaving? Stress here!

dombay
May 14th, 2009, 19:09
Why should all the noobs coming to Japan have all the fun stressing about things that probably won't matter?

Tell uncle dom about all the things your worried about, have to do, and are just a little bit scared about. Rants about the place your going back to would also be very entertaining.

Go.

Paul
May 14th, 2009, 21:22
I'm worried that I won't get a job.

fragglerocker
May 20th, 2009, 07:13
I am worried about being mauled to death in the middle of the afternoon in Glasgow by a group of 12 year old chavs.

Petesmp
May 20th, 2009, 08:44
I worried I will have to face reality.

Ini
May 20th, 2009, 09:10
I'm worried I have no flight back to the UK, no job, no money and no qualifications other than being a 5 year JET. Then again you cant let these things get you down

AliDimayev
May 20th, 2009, 09:11
I'm worried I have no flight back to the UK, no job, no money and no qualifications other than being a 5 year JET. Then again you cant let these things get you down
Why wouldn't you have a flight? The BOE pays for your flight home I thought.

Ini
May 20th, 2009, 09:16
I got distracted and forgot to ask for one

cvmurrieta
May 20th, 2009, 10:17
I can't decide whether I want to stay here in Japan or head to Salt Lake City, Utah.

Right now staying in Japan is winning. Will depend on whether I find a semi-decent job here.

AliDimayev
May 20th, 2009, 10:28
How about Korea? Weren't you considering that?

cvmurrieta
May 20th, 2009, 11:24
How about Korea? Weren't you considering that?

Yeah, still am. It seems that when I start preparing for Korea, then things in Japan pop up. I got an interview with Interac on Monday in Tokyo and an interview in Nagano on Tuesday with a place that sends ALTs to junior highs. I have had a few phone interviews as well.

I was hoping to be called to an interview for a sales position with a Hentai Doll manufacturer in Yokohama, but that has yet to materialize.

kuroneko87
May 20th, 2009, 11:46
Im scared I won't get a job or I'll end up in some dead end job not using any of my uni degree and wont be any closer to achieving my long term goals!

I haven't really enjoyed being an ALT here as much as I thought I would, but I love the lifestyle I've lived here after 12 years of school and 4 of uni it was great to have free weekends and not having to worry about study!

kiwimusume
May 23rd, 2009, 19:03
I worry about getting too much work and barely sleeping for months on end but not being able to turn any of it down, mainly because I'd rather worry about that than about not getting any work and not being able to support myself and having to go back to working retail in NZ (or not even being able to get a job there because of the recession.)

k8isgrape
May 27th, 2009, 14:55
I'm stressing about finding a place to live in my future home town and then relocating myself and my worldly belongings there.

Me = In Japan
My stuff = In storage in the Northeast (USA)
My future = The Midwest

Seriously, how does one even begin to look for apartments overseas? Are any of you doing this?

I may have to actually buy my mother a plane ticket and a hotel room and beg her to look at apartments for me next month. Also, I do not like asking my parents for things. Ug.

Veebles
May 27th, 2009, 15:35
I`m worried about finding a job. Oregon currently has the 3rd highest unemployment rate in the U.S. and I have friends back home who have been job searching for close to 6 months. They all have master`s degrees and what do I have? A B.A. in Japanese and two years of JET experience. Yeah...:(

Interested in going to grad school in a few years but still not sure what to study. Teaching or more Japanese studies?:confused:

Urthona
May 28th, 2009, 14:14
I'm scared of having to take the GRE, doing college applications and then making ends meet for about 9 months while I study in the Middle East.

I'm also nervous how I have to act when I'm over there.

k8isgrape
May 28th, 2009, 14:19
I`m worried about finding a job... what do I have? A B.A. in Japanese and two years of JET experience. Yeah...:(

How's your Japanese? Since it's a sort of a specialized skill, you're probably safe to start sending out resumes and applying for jobs while you're still here. There's less people out there with Japan/Japanese experience, if you're looking for something that uses those skills it might really help you!

Or, if there's a local Japanese/Asian community center, it might not hurt to contact them and see if they need an ekaiwa style teacher (or if they have a bulletin board where you could put up a flyer). It wouldn't be a full time job, but it's something, right?

Veebles
May 28th, 2009, 15:15
Thank you k8isgrape. My Japanese is around 2-kyu level but the problem is there are no Japanese-related jobs available where I live right now. Typing `Japanese` in a job search for Oregon brings up positions for sushi chefs and Aeon.:|

There are several Japanese centers and organizations where I live and a fairly large Japanese-speaking community. Unfortunately for me, they can all speak English and therefore are my job competition! But I am planning on joining some centers to volunteer with festivals and other events. Maybe a job will pop up along the way...:)

karumu
May 28th, 2009, 18:23
well im heading off to be with my girl in Taiwan. I have no job lined up, no where to live and the english teaching job market there is absolutely flooded with americans abandoning their sinking ship. would love to be going home to australia to find a decent job but my girlfriend needs to stay in Taiwan for at least another year. So off to Taiwan it is. I am studying Chinese like crazy in preparation.

k8isgrape
May 29th, 2009, 09:24
the problem is there are no Japanese-related jobs available where I live right now... I am planning on joining some centers to volunteer with festivals and other events. Maybe a job will pop up along the way...:)

Ug. That sucks. It sounds like you've got some ideas though, I hope something comes up! I guess at the worst, there's always relocating? Hopefully it won't come to that though. :P

cvmurrieta
May 29th, 2009, 10:38
well im heading off to be with my girl in Taiwan. I have no job lined up, no where to live and the english teaching job market there is absolutely flooded with americans abandoning their sinking ship. would love to be going home to australia to find a decent job but my girlfriend needs to stay in Taiwan for at least another year. So off to Taiwan it is. I am studying Chinese like crazy in preparation.

Ah, now I know why places like Hess and Reach To Teach have told me I am not qualified! I had thought the market to be flooded with ESL teachers in Taiwan.

You know, probably one you're there and they can see you IN PERSON, you might have an easier time finding a job (at least that is what the people on Dave's ESL Cafe are saying)

karumu
May 29th, 2009, 13:37
yeah the recruiting agencies are flooded with underqualified people and not only want people with qualifications beyond a random bachelors degree. but the recruiting agencies are not to be trusted for getting a good job it seems, not many people seem to be a fan of the ones operating in taiwan.

showing up is the best bet and at the moment im just hoping for some part time work to cover my expenses. if i can find someone to sponser visa and enough hours to cover my costs so i can be there with my gf, im happy.

hope everyone lands on their feet wherever they end up.

dombay
May 30th, 2009, 19:03
Good luck with your Chinese.

I have an exam in Chinese on Wednesday. Haven't studied. Going to fail. Bastard language.

wicket
May 30th, 2009, 19:14
Dombay - was it you who had lived/worked in or near Beijing?
Because we're thinking of going there next.
Do tell.
And is learning Chinese going to fuck up my Japanese?

karumu
May 30th, 2009, 21:07
hey wicket, im only at the early stages of course, probably closing in on 4kyu level equivalent of japanese with my chinese.. but i don't find the chinese coming into my use of japanese at all. i'm feeling no effect at all. dombay would be better placed to comment though as clearly more advanced.

dombay
May 31st, 2009, 19:16
Wicket - no not me; I've only been there once. - I'm not Beijing's biggest fan. I'm not sure who that might have been ...

Anyway yea Beijing definitely should be seen. There's some amazing things to look at at times when you can see through the smog. But once was enough for me.

I don't think they fuck each other up.On the contrary I think they complement each other really well and especially when I'm in China knowing the extra kanji I learned from Japanese is really helpful.

cvmurrieta
June 1st, 2009, 15:17
Just got told by the Nagano peeps that they didn't select me. I didn't want to be in Nagano anyway.

Now I am wondering if I am just too old to be hanging around here and should join my fellow thirtysomethings back in the US (grrrrrrr!)

AliDimayev
June 1st, 2009, 17:17
Sometimes we must accept such things. Sorry to hear, well, but you didn't want to be there anyway. But still.

dombay
June 1st, 2009, 17:23
You don't have to be back in the US forever.

I am just going home to Aus for a while to beef up my skillset a bit then I want to be back here or in China asap.

Paladia
June 1st, 2009, 21:43
Whencanileavewhencanileavewhencanileave....

Avocado
June 2nd, 2009, 01:07
Whencanileavewhencanileavewhencanileave....
That bad?

Paladia
June 2nd, 2009, 06:51
That bad?

As a friend of mine in the area put it, "When the highlight of your day is calling someone back home, you know it's time to go."

I'm going to Kansai this weekend. On Monday, I will just be depressed.

Neb
June 2nd, 2009, 06:53
Don't you live fairly close to Kanazawa?

cvmurrieta
June 2nd, 2009, 09:24
You don't have to be back in the US forever.

I am just going home to Aus for a while to beef up my skillset a bit then I want to be back here or in China asap.

I'm already 38 and am afraid I will be passed over a third time if I attempt to come back to Japan.

One positive development though: I was observing some classes at a school that hosts monthly parties for foreigners and Japanese to get to know each other. Evidently, my manager at the international association here put a good word in for me with the owner of this school. He told her he may be able to help. I was asked by his receptionists whether I wanted to work full-time or part-time. I replied full-time. She told me she would have to check with him.

So, nothing conclusive yet, but some good news is better than none at all:)

lilly
June 2nd, 2009, 11:12
Im staying in Japan. after a difficult JET placement im off to Tokyo, giving it another go. I refuse that people can be as evil as my supervisor! (im not exaggerating)
Im worried ill have a similar problem in my next placement.
Im worried i wont be able to save money in Tokyo
im worried im going to loose the pension- what do i do with it! do i keep paying the same amount or not pay at all and loose the money i already paid into it?
Im worried I made a mistake and i should just take what little money i have and run and hide out in india for a bit....
im missing my nephews growing up but I dont want to go home
still have to pay off student debts because i blew all my money on a 100,000 yen speeding fine.....

cvmurrieta
June 2nd, 2009, 12:48
Im staying in Japan. after a difficult JET placement im off to Tokyo, giving it another go. I refuse that people can be as evil as my supervisor! (im not exaggerating)
Im worried ill have a similar problem in my next placement.
Im worried i wont be able to save money in Tokyo
im worried im going to loose the pension- what do i do with it! do i keep paying the same amount or not pay at all and loose the money i already paid into it?
Im worried I made a mistake and i should just take what little money i have and run and hide out in india for a bit....
im missing my nephews growing up but I dont want to go home
still have to pay off student debts because i blew all my money on a 100,000 yen speeding fine.....

I hear you about the difficult supe. How did you land your gig in Tokyo? I am curious as I may be heading that way if things don't pan out with the other things I am pursuing.

Don't worry about whether you will experience the same thing in your next placement. 90% of the things that we worry about don't happen. If the same hing happens with a supe in your next placement, then you will do what is best for you.

You didn't make a mistake coming to Japan on JET. There are still many wonderful things you have experienced sans the boss.

Hang in there!

Tegan
June 2nd, 2009, 13:29
I am going to Western NY for the next five years...because my husband got into a REALLY good program in his field. I don't want to live there AND I have no clue what work I can get, or even want to pursue, after JET and in NY. Not only are we moving back to america, we are doing a fairly quick 12 hour drive move to NY...another very different culture I have to get used to...but I am all out of open-mindness and acceptance....used that all up in Japan. Sigh. I am just grummpy that I have no say in where I will living my life for the next 5 years. I feel like I will be waiting for life as opposed to living life.
If I had the money...which is always tight for us, I would love to spend time traveling, Europe and Asia, before having to "settle down" but that doesn't appear to be an option.

BTW, how the f$%k does one get an apartment when you can't visit the city its in until you NEED the apartment?
Oh yeah, we also don't have a car. We need a car....but we have no money. I have no clue how that is going to work out. My parents suggest we buy a car from a dealer and go on a finance plan...yay...more debt. I REALLY don't want to do it...but I only have 3 weeks, once in the states to get this all worked out.

AHHHHHHH!!! STREESSS!!! (on the plus side I get to be back in America...its a screwed up place...but its MY screwed up place)

Paladia
June 2nd, 2009, 16:36
Don't you live fairly close to Kanazawa?

Yeah. Getting back from Kanazawa and I get a little depression. Osaka and it's a BIG depression.
Oh well, two more months and it's the big city, no money lifestyle for me!

cvmurrieta
June 3rd, 2009, 21:40
Why the f*** does my CO have to dump all these get-to-know-the-community-events and proofreading assignments into my lap a month and a half before my contract ends??!!

dombay
June 3rd, 2009, 22:13
Tegan that sounds kind of exciting in a way though. Like I came to Japan not really knowing much about the place but I came for a bit of adventure and adventure I certainly got. That's why I asked to be sent to bfi. Like if i was sent to an unknown part of my state I reckon that the not knowing would make it exciting.

Good luck anyway.

Urthona
June 4th, 2009, 08:30
I wanted to book my flight home today but my supervisor is out the entire day and I'm at a prefectural event tomorrow. Damn.

Also, is there a cheap way to send just books home?

Veebles
June 4th, 2009, 08:59
Also, is there a cheap way to send just books home?

Japan Post has special rates for books and other printed matter. http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/printed_matter_en.html

cvmurrieta
June 4th, 2009, 09:48
I can't seem to stop scouring the job sites and sending out resumes for eikaiwa jobs. It is getting to the point where it is obsessive. Five months ago I wouldn't have cared if I had left. Now that I have made more friends in Sendai and got a girlfriend, I am afraid I am going to lose it all, never to get any of it back again.

mteacher80
June 4th, 2009, 10:09
just get a job at the local family mart, or bento making company. i have a friend that is trying his hand in construction work right now. and some others in a factory. may just have to think outside the box

karatemollie
June 4th, 2009, 14:41
I'm moving back home after JET. I'll be living with my parents until I can get a job. I'm worried that living with them will make me crazy before I can find a job. I'm also worried that finding a job, applying to graduate school, and planning a wedding all at the same time might push me to a nervous breakdown.

mteacher80
June 4th, 2009, 15:02
are the both of you going to be living with your parents, taht would suck!

karatemollie
June 4th, 2009, 15:37
Yes.

AliDimayev
June 4th, 2009, 15:38
just get a job at the local family mart, or bento making company. i have a friend that is trying his hand in construction work right now. and some others in a factory. may just have to think outside the box
lol

Veebles
June 4th, 2009, 16:01
I'm moving back home after JET. I'll be living with my parents until I can get a job. I'm worried that living with them will make me crazy before I can find a job. I'm also worried that finding a job, applying to graduate school, and planning a wedding all at the same time might push me to a nervous breakdown.

Wow, that sounds really similar to my situation! My fiance is living with MY parents right now and soon I`m going to be joining him. We`ll also be planning our wedding!

cvmurrieta
June 4th, 2009, 21:19

Well, I will think outside the box if I have the proper status of residence (haha!)

I can't work in construction or a factory due to hemophilia, but the bento-making company is a thought.

mteacher80
June 4th, 2009, 22:24
well you have a visa right, and you are a first year, so 'kinda' you still ahve two years left on that visa to find a job and get the status changed. thats all one of my buddies is doing, he was a geos teacher, got a three year extention, went home for two years to get an mba and just got back with 9 months left on the visa, got in the country no problem and is doing the part time stuff as he looks for work. good luck!

kiwimusume
June 5th, 2009, 07:04
I'm moving back home after JET. I'll be living with my parents until I can get a job. I'm worried that living with them will make me crazy before I can find a job.

Not the same as having an SO stay with my family too, but I'm nervous about living with my family again too. I'm staying with my family for a few months while I get the working holiday visa. I figured that I may as well stay until Christmas, because I like being home for Christmas, but I find it weird staying there for two weeks after living on my own so long, letalone a few months. But the main thing that stresses me out when I go home (the fact that my parents always want to help, then stress when it takes up too much of their time but still insist on doing so, so I'm torn between not wanting to inconvenience them and not wanting to hurt their feelings) is probably to do with the fact that it's just a visit, and we've already agreed that my longer stay will be like before, with me contributing to the bills and housework, so I'm hoping that won't be such an issue this time.

Also, I really, really want to be done with JET already, so I have more time to take translation jobs. I appreciate the money (especially combined with the low living costs in my area), and on the whole it's been great, but it's not the job I really care about, and it's starting to be a hindrance in terms of getting translation jobs. (But if that's the only thing that's standing in my way to getting translation jobs, I'm pretty damn happy.)

dombay
June 5th, 2009, 16:03
I'm going back to live with the rents but to be honest I think it beats working at Family Mart. I've become such a classist but really ... no way I'm ever doing that kind of work again.

But I'm off to law school as you Americans would call it so hopefully my sentence in retail is now finally over.

k8isgrape
June 5th, 2009, 16:19
Not only are we moving back to america, we are doing a fairly quick 12 hour drive move to NY...another very different culture I have to get used to... I am just grummpy that I have no say in where I will living my life for the next 5 years...

BTW, how the f$%k does one get an apartment when you can't visit the city its in until you NEED the apartment?

Ahaha! Oh Tegan, we should start a mutual support group. Yeah, the joys of leaving Japan for academic life. I'm taking every inch of nenkyu I have left to leave early, but I'll still only have a week or two to visit my parents, repack all my stuff from storage, and get myself and my worldly belongings from the East Coast to the Midwest. Ug. And I'm in one of those lovely programs where we start a full teaching-load the second we get there. Wheee!

Yeah, currently looking for studios via the school's off-campus housing site. Have you checked in with your husband's version of this? Most schools have them and mine has been so helpful. They work with some landlords and management companies for years, so they seem to have a decent sense of who won't totally screw you over.

You're still moving based on about four crappy photos though. That part's a JOY. :P

mteacher80
June 5th, 2009, 17:07
we say law school, what do you say dommy?

Wakatta
June 5th, 2009, 17:59
we say law school, what do you say dommy?

Barrister's Academy of Judicial Manouevering, I suspect.

cvmurrieta
June 5th, 2009, 20:37
well you have a visa right, and you are a first year, so 'kinda' you still ahve two years left on that visa to find a job and get the status changed. thats all one of my buddies is doing, he was a geos teacher, got a three year extention, went home for two years to get an mba and just got back with 9 months left on the visa, got in the country no problem and is doing the part time stuff as he looks for work. good luck!

Well, at least now I have Interac to fall back on for the time being.

Yuffie
June 10th, 2009, 21:17
OK so I'm not worried about getting a job but what I am worried about is the fact I don't have a car...so...I won't be able to GET to a job. My dad was gonna sell me an almost brand new Hyundai accent but...it's stick and I'm worthless at stick. ;_;

Oh and less than a week after I get back my host family from study abroad is coming to visit me so I have to show them around Philly, and then Take them to Boston, Albany, back to Philly and then to DC. Hotels and stuff I dunno...

Avocado
June 11th, 2009, 07:18
Take the car; knowing how to drive stick is a damn good skill to have. It's also more fun :)

cvmurrieta
June 19th, 2009, 11:31
I can't decide whether to stay in Japan or go back home. I have a girlfriend in Sendai and would like to stay here but have not been able to find any other jobs in the area. Even if I am able to find a job somewhere else in Japan, I will have to leave her as she will not move with me right now. She has said I could stay with her until I find a job. But I am afraid come October or November I still won't have a job and my unemployment benefits will have run out. In addition, that would mean no free ticket back home.

Sometimes I just want to chuck it all, move home, and not look back.

Tegan
June 19th, 2009, 13:46
I suggest trying to write a pro con list. After that, if you can't determine what you want to do then do the ole flip a coin bit. Tell yourself you are REALLY going to do what the flip of the coin tells you to do. When that coin is in the air what gut feeling do you get? The decision you were wanting to make will reveal itself...then do it. =)

Good luck whatever you decide! =)

cvmurrieta
June 19th, 2009, 13:51
I like your suggestions, Tegan. I still think my feelings for the girlfriend will play a big factor

Yuffie
June 25th, 2009, 22:40
I did the pro con list thing. It was no contest. Yeah, my boyfriend was a big factor in my decision too, but he's back in America. ^_^;

Tegan
June 26th, 2009, 16:01
Good news everyone! I have an apartment lined up in my new "home" in NY state!! Having that taken care of just makes everything seem so much easier.

Next stress item on my list to deal with is the last paycheck with my CO...I have a meeting with them next wednesday. Wish me luck!

And I am glad the pro con list helped! =)

kiwimusume
June 27th, 2009, 09:19
This is more a wangst than a stress, but I can't decide whether to look forward to leaving or be sad about it. I can't wait to ditch the day job and translate full time, but I don't want to leave anyone. I'm sick to death of the job itself but my students are awesome. I don't know whether I want this last month and a bit to fly by or go really slowly. And how the fuck did it get to be just over one month left, anyway?

I'm dealing with so much tornness. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4gNZXk4nNE) :p

On the plus side, I'm sorted for a while money-wise even if I get shit-all translation work for a few months. And a couple of companies have said they may have a couple of big jobs for me. :D

Tegan
June 27th, 2009, 10:18
I know what you mean! I feel terrible that I am leaving my students and I feel kinda guilty that I am excited to leave my job, it's not the kids' fault the job is mind numbing.
When I leave Japan I won't be coming back for a while so I should want to take these last few weeks slow and really enjoy my time here. However, I am sooo excited about leaving and moving onto my next little adventure in America that I am also counting down the days (22 baby!!)

kuroneko87
June 27th, 2009, 11:57
I know what you mean! I feel terrible that I am leaving my students and I feel kinda guilty that I am excited to leave my job, it's not the kids' fault the job is mind numbing.
When I leave Japan I won't be coming back for a while so I should want to take these last few weeks slow and really enjoy my time here. However, I am sooo excited about leaving and moving onto my next little adventure in America that I am also counting down the days (22 baby!!)

Tegan, Your thought mimic mine exactly!

The kids don't really understand why I'm leaving though, I think they think that i don't like them, but its the opposite I love them but as you said the downtime in between class, exam period and school vacations when there is no classes is brain numbing and my brain cells are dropping like flies!

Veebles
June 27th, 2009, 12:00
I can't wait to be out of my job and away from a handful of co-workers, but I'm going to miss my kids so much. My 3rd graders (JHS) are especially unhappy that I'm leaving because I've been with them since they were in the 1st grade. If time and money permit I'd really like to fly back to Japan in March and attend their graduation.

I'm excited to be going home, though.

kiwimusume
June 27th, 2009, 18:00
My 3rd graders (JHS) are especially unhappy that I'm leaving because I've been with them since they were in the 1st grade.

Yeah, a few of my 9th graders who I've been with since they were in the 6th grade were like "So you're not going to see us graduate?" (And I've just realised that I should be back in Japan by the time they graduate, so if I am I might come and see it.) But luckily their successor is Mr Perfect and a bunch of them know him already, so I reckon once he starts there everyone'll be like "Kiwi-who?"

Yuffie
June 29th, 2009, 17:38
Yeah I'm gonna miss them too, especially because this year's 2nensei specifically requested that I stay until they graduate, AFTER I turned in my recontracting decision. I can't help the reasons I'm leaving though, but I've started having some last classes, and I get all teary eyed.

NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO PACKING THOUGH ugh

patjs
June 29th, 2009, 21:47
NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO PACKING THOUGH ugh

That's almost reason enough for me to stay another year. I HATE PACKING SO MUCH

Yuffie
June 29th, 2009, 22:43
Haha for me a good reason to NOT stay another year was the driving test though. You passed that hurtle.

The thing is...I'm a shopaholic so the longer I'm here the MORE SHIT I'll have to pack. And since Ryan is SO SMART and packed that guitar (that like...your friend played once and his friend played once and he maybe played once) he was not able to help me AT ALL.

Tegan
June 30th, 2009, 07:28
Packing is exciting. It makes the move home seem so much more real. We have practiced packed once, and will be doing so again this coming weekend. and yes, practice packing consists of taking everything you want to bring home and literally packing it all up to make sure it will all fit. I have one more gift to buy in Japan, tea set for a friend, and then I am completely ready to go! =)

cvmurrieta
June 30th, 2009, 10:33
That's almost reason enough for me to stay another year. I HATE PACKING SO MUCH

That is why I opted to work another year as a private ALT rather than return home.

kuroneko87
June 30th, 2009, 10:39
I'm packing things right now as well, I just took my second box to the post office over the weekend. I need to send most of it ASAP as it will take about 2 months to get home on the ship. My first box was 8kg and this one was 13kg! I found out I'm flying Singapore Air home so I can only have 20kg of luggage. I'm gonna half my work wardrobe this week, and leave about 7 outfits left, enough for the working week and a few spares, and I will also cull my shoe collection to 4 pairs.

Veebles
July 1st, 2009, 10:42
Speaking of packing, I have no idea how to get my huge suitcases from my inaka town to Osaka.

I have to move out of my apartment early so my CO can get it ready for my successor, so I`m going to spend the last week of my contract in Osaka with my family. There is no bus service to the city from my town and I don`t have a car so we`ll have to take the 3-hour train to Osaka. And the express train doesn`t have places to put big-ass suitcases. Unless I buy a bunch a reserved seats and stick the suitcases in them, which I do NOT plan on doing, I`m not sure how I`m going to pull this off...

Also, my station has four flights of stairs between the entrance and the platform, and no elevator. :'(

AliDimayev
July 1st, 2009, 10:43
Takkyuubin?

Urthona
July 1st, 2009, 10:44
Speaking of packing, I have no idea how to get my huge suitcases from my inaka town to Osaka.

I have to move out of my apartment early so my CO can get it ready for my successor, so I`m going to spend the last week of my contract in Osaka with my family. There is no bus service to the city from my town and I don`t have a car so we`ll have to take the 3-hour train to Osaka. And the express train doesn`t have places to put big-ass suitcases. Unless I buy a bunch a reserved seats and stick the suitcases in them, which I do NOT plan on doing, I`m not sure how I`m going to pull this off...

Also, my station has four flights of stairs between the entrance and the platform, and no elevator. :'(

Use Kuro Neko. I know they have cheap shipping to airports but i'm sure you can do the same for a house.

sophiesaffron
July 2nd, 2009, 09:10
I am way stressed about packing. Any tips for motivating oneself to do it? :confused:
My luggage and a few boxes for shipping (all empty) are hanging out in my living room, and with any luck they will fill themselves. I remember packing for coming here - I had the last week before I left work-free so I got most of it done then (with an all-nighter packing session/nervous breakdown the night before I left). But I don't have much free time left here and have nightmares about my friends and supervisor showing up at my apartment to take me to the airport and me like "whoops, I forgot to pack!" with a sheepish grin. Eeeek!

kuroneko87
July 2nd, 2009, 09:15
I am way stressed about packing. Any tips for motivating oneself to do it? :confused:
My luggage and a few boxes for shipping (all empty) are hanging out in my living room, and with any luck they will fill themselves. I remember packing for coming here - I had the last week before I left work-free so I got most of it done then (with an all-nighter packing session/nervous breakdown the night before I left). But I don't have much free time left here and have nightmares about my friends and supervisor showing up at my apartment to take me to the airport and me like "whoops, I forgot to pack!" with a sheepish grin. Eeeek!

My best advice is just to do a little at a time, set yourself little goals like today I pack/sort these things. Just think its better to do it now rather than stress later, because those last few days you'll be wanting to spend with friends having fun. I came home from work yesterday and packed one box, full of clothes that i think I won't really need in my last couple of weeks.

k8isgrape
July 2nd, 2009, 10:37

Takkyubin, Kuro Neko (Black Cat)...

I'm guessing these folks all mean Yamato Transport. They even have a handy English site:
Yamato Transport (http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/english/index.html)

I'm totally using them to ship my luggage to the airport. Just be sure to set it up several days in advance. I think they need between 24 - 72 hours to send your luggage to its destination.

My predecessor actually used them to ship all her stuff back to the US, but she had four or five massive shipping boxes she needed to send back (like, Japanese fridge sized), definitely a bit more than most ALTs need. (Or, so I'm assuming. :) )

Tegan
July 2nd, 2009, 18:19
I had one of my JTEs go through the 3 hour process of canceling all my utilities today. I felt so bad for my JTE but soooo grateful for their help. If I were alone trying to do that it would have taken several weeks and I would have still been unsuccessful.

I had my meeting regarding leaving with my CO this past Wednesday. Apparently, because I am leaving on a Sunday my "supervisor" (I say with quotes cuz she does not help ever) "can't' take me to the bus station (leading to the airport) like she will do with those on a work day. What sux is I loved the old supervisor, spoke English, was helpful, and even went out of her way to make things work for us. I know that if the old supervisor were still around she wouldn't tell me to fend for myself on my last day in Japan. She would actually make sure I got where I needed to be, despite it being a Sunday...its only an hour out of ones day anyway. geez.

Basically, glad I have to deal with the new lady for 17 more days, and it doesn't seem like i will be actually seeing her again..ever.

k8isgrape
July 2nd, 2009, 19:15
Tegan, does that mean you have to drag all your luggage by yourself? If so, have you looked into Yamato? They'll pick up your luggage (in advance) and take it to the airport.

Hrm. I wonder if you could get them to pay for a taxi to the bus? I mean, technically they do have to cover your transport home. How would you normally get to this bus if you didn't have a free ride?

Tegan
July 2nd, 2009, 19:34
Either one of my JTEs or another ALT will drive me to the bus station, but I am still sending my luggage through Yamato because the bus only allows one piece of luggage.

It will all work out...im just annoyed and ready to be done with the details of leaving.

cvmurrieta
July 3rd, 2009, 09:44
I need to go to my ward office today so that I can get an income verification certificate in order to change my visa to an ALT one. I am also wondering what I am going to do for health insurance from July 28-July 31.

C-dub_PDX
July 7th, 2009, 15:27
I need to go to my ward office today so that I can get an income verification certificate in order to change my visa to an ALT one. I am also wondering what I am going to do for health insurance from July 28-July 31.

Don't get sick and don't do anything reckless or stupid and you should be fine. If you are really worried, just hide out in your apartment, get drunk, play videos games and watch porn for 3 days.

C-dub_PDX
July 7th, 2009, 15:29
I had one of my JTEs go through the 3 hour process of canceling all my utilities today. I felt so bad for my JTE but soooo grateful for their help. If I were alone trying to do that it would have taken several weeks and I would have still been unsuccessful.

I am going to be having one of JTEs do the same for me in the next couple of days. There are a couple that I will be able to take care of on my own, but he'll be helping me with the rest. It's definitely a little extra work for him, but I'll take him out for beers to make up for it.

cvmurrieta
July 8th, 2009, 14:46
My CO has decided to bombard me with translation requests up to the time my contract ends. I think someone here is trying to deny my using my nenkyuu.

Tegan
July 8th, 2009, 16:44
I just had my final farewells with one of my elementary schools, and I expect to do the same with my other elementary school next week.

I know my JHS will have a goodbye ceremony for me on my last day (July 17th), but I don't think anyone realizes that all the changes and cuts they are making to the class schedule has resulted in my last lesson with all the 2nd graders has actually already happened, a week ago. =/ I wonder if I can get this changed. The students don't even know I am leaving yet, it would suck to leave them in the dark until the last minute and then not have a class with them to say goodbye.

kuroneko87
July 15th, 2009, 15:20
As I'm not a school based ALT, I've said goobye to all my 6 schools over the last month, had my farewell enkai last week, AJET Farewell Party and today my office did a farewell ceremony! I'm all farrewelled out and I don't even leave Japan until August 15!!

I can nearly do my farewel speech off by heart!

This is the longest drwan out goobye ever! Im gonna be a wreck at the airport!

cvmurrieta
July 21st, 2009, 12:40
Don't get sick and don't do anything reckless or stupid and you should be fine. If you are really worried, just hide out in your apartment, get drunk, play videos games and watch porn for 3 days.

I am not worried about the sick part. I am a mild hemophiliac and am worried an accident might happen. However, I am not a reckless person by nature. I had checked into insurance for four days, and a co-worker had told me after looking into this for me that National Health Insurance would charge me for a whole month, not just four days. So I will use the JET Accident Insurance to cover as much as it will cover while I am not covered by NHI for those four days.

Yes, I will actually be hiding out in the girlfriend's apartment. If I would watch porn, she would just come home and ask if I saw any nice asses today:)

During those four days I will have to go to Immi to get my new Instructor's visa!

elleohelle
July 21st, 2009, 15:25
You really like to mention your girlfriend a lot.

Anyhoo, are you going to be doing a LDR now that you have a different job?

dombay
July 21st, 2009, 16:03
Don't flame.

cvmurrieta
July 21st, 2009, 16:32
You really like to mention your girlfriend a lot.

Anyhoo, are you going to be doing a LDR now that you have a different job?

Well, if living 30 minutes from her is considered long distance, then, yeah, I will be doing an LDR.

BTW, I am addressing this question to everybody. My PA told me that previous departing CIRs have bought gifts for the office. Is this a regular Japanese custom, or is my PA just peddling some BS? I don't mind going to the farewell party or even BSing my farewell speech (I don't think of my co-workers as the kindest people I have met); but if buying a farewell gift for them is NOT Japanese custom but more of a custom for this workplace, then I'd rather not condone the way they have treated me by buying gifts. I don't plan on having any relationships with any of them after I leave, and I certainly don't need to use them for job or grad school references.

kuroneko87
July 27th, 2009, 10:12
Just found out last night at 8pm that Im not getting replaced!! I have to clear by apartment by 10am next Monday!! Argh!! I hate the BOE!!!:mad::o

AliDimayev
July 27th, 2009, 10:13
They are dropping JET?

kuroneko87
July 27th, 2009, 10:17
They are dropping JET?

No, they are moving my position (im based in a office in Matsuyama) to a senior high in a town called Ozu). I have to clear out my office and apartment in less than a week!

Sandwich
July 27th, 2009, 13:40
I'm stressed out about all the same things as most of you: no job lined up, planning a wedding, applying to graduate school, and maybe living with my parents part of the time. Gah!
I made it my office's problem to deal with my utilities- my boss had actually told me to do them myself initially since he said my Japanese was "good enough." Uh, not customer-service-phone-call good enough.... He said he would "help" if I had trouble. Then I came in last week and found out the office jimmu in charge of us ALTs was doing the other ALT's utlities since he can't speak Japanese so I just so said "ok then you're doing mine too" and handed them a stack of my bills. I feel soooo much better.

kuroneko87
July 27th, 2009, 13:53
My supervisor did all my utilities except my keitai and internet. I did my internet myself because Yahoo BB has english phone support, and my boss told me my japanese is good enough to go into softbank and cancel my phone myself?! I hope he's right otherwise it will be very frustrating!! I'm not planning on cancelling it until 2 days before i leave.

Sandwich
July 27th, 2009, 14:03
I'm doing my keitai myself, too. I'm going to try to do it the day I leave- I hope it works!!

AliDimayev
July 27th, 2009, 14:04
Cancelling is easy. I know people who did it with practically no japanese. Dont worry

kuroneko87
July 27th, 2009, 14:10
Thanks fingers crossed it all goes well!

yohgrl23
July 27th, 2009, 14:54
my landlord said he would take care of the utilities. which is great but i'll still have to leave money here. My supervisor called about my phone, but told me to deal with the internet because NTT/OCN supposedly has an English line, well i waited for 15 minutes on hold for this English line and gave up, she can deal with it tomorrow.

edit: yay NTT/OCN just called me back! boo on having to have my internet shut off on the 31st when i don't leave until the 4th.. but its better than paying bills for all of august when i'll only be using 3 days of internet.. still sucks to not have internet for the weekend.
and they couldn't answer my real question-what the heck do i do with the rented equipment?

cvmurrieta
July 28th, 2009, 07:51
they couldn't answer my real question-what the heck do i do with the rented equipment?

NTT should be sending you a bag to put all your rented equipment in. You will then take the bag to either a post office or Lawson's for them to send back. You don't have to pay any shipping fees.

yohgrl23
July 28th, 2009, 08:54
thanks cvmurrieta, i finally got a hold of a person who said NTT would take the equipment with them this sunday when they come to shut off/disconnect the internet and phone.

Urthona
July 28th, 2009, 11:44
Fuck. I forgot to pack a some clothes in a set of drawers, so I do need to use a third suitcase.

I hope that Singapore isn't very pick about size dimensions. My two main bags go over their combined limit of 275 cm by a bit.

jboze84
July 28th, 2009, 16:15
Fuck. I forgot to pack a some clothes in a set of drawers, so I do need to use a third suitcase.

I hope that Singapore isn't very pick about size dimensions. My two main bags go over their combined limit of 275 cm by a bit.

You should be fine. It's not like Singapore is strict on things like laws or rules. :roll:

Paul
July 28th, 2009, 19:41
I just finished cleaning this apartment and sending 95% of my shit home by mail. I am absolutely exhausted. Then I was greeted by a nagging wife on the phone giving me crap. Exactly what I needed.

I'm going for a beer or 10.

Urthona
July 28th, 2009, 20:11
You should be fine. It's not like Singapore is strict on things like laws or rules. :roll:

I'm talking about the airline, not the country. I would hope that an airline famous for its service, quality, and cost would give a little leeway.

Like how Emirates has hot flight attendants in skimpy outfits for the region and reportedly somewhat flirtatious, a perfect reflection of life there :roll:

Paul
July 29th, 2009, 00:43
Talking about Emirates, how are they? I have 3 flights coming up with them, and I would rather their plane wasn't rusting and falling apart like Air China that I took last time.

Timoshi
July 29th, 2009, 01:49
Pilot 'barely slept' day before Emirates near-disaster (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/pilot-barely-slept-day-before-emirates-neardisaster-20090427-ajtb.html)

But on the plus side, I hear their customer service is really good!

Paul
July 29th, 2009, 08:27
Pilot 'barely slept' day before Emirates near-disaster (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/pilot-barely-slept-day-before-emirates-neardisaster-20090427-ajtb.html)

But on the plus side, I hear their customer service is really good!

Going by the pic, all he did was scrape the arse end of the tail on the ground as he took off. That's standard practice in Ireland.

Urthona
August 5th, 2009, 13:20
So how was Emirates, I might be using them in a couple of months.

Also, Singapore was lenient on the weight and size (within reason) it seems. I was a bit overweight on a bag and they were huge but they never batted an eye - except for the extra charge of a 3rd bag. Great service too.

Paul
August 5th, 2009, 16:18
Will tell you after my flight on Friday :D