PDA

View Full Version : European ALT Jobs?

jonesinjapan
May 17th, 2009, 12:03
I have a friend that would like to do something similar to ALT work but not in Asian countries, I thought I heard someone talk about it a while ago, Are you in something like this Wicket?

But any info will be greatly appreciated...

wicket
May 17th, 2009, 20:27
Not exactly. I joined an agency [bluewaveinternational.com] and they got me 'phone interviews with various schools in the UK. i had three interviews, was offered three jobs, and picked the one i wanted most.
but you have to be a qualified teacher in your home country, with a proper teaching CV and all that shit.

i have heard there are jobs in france and spain that are a bit like ALT positions, though. but no programme like JET AFAIK.

UPGRAYEDD
May 17th, 2009, 22:25
Spain has an ALT program but the pay is very low and you have to find your own housing.

Urthona
May 18th, 2009, 09:28
France and Spain have similar types of jobs. You work significantly less and are allowed to do stuff on the side. You also, at least for the French one, need a certain level of French to be accepted.

The French assistantship program is more useful if you also want to be a part-time student as they'll place you, within reason, near a university if you'll study there.

You are also less likely to get the ultra-rural countryside.

UPGRAYEDD
May 18th, 2009, 11:19
Forgot to mention you need to know an intermediate amount of Spanish to get into that program too. I think the minimum was 2 years at the college level. The program is run by the department of education so it's not sketchy at all and I was considering it before I picked up Japanese in my last year of college.

But the pay is really low. Close to just 1,200 to 1,500 a month.

mteacher80
May 18th, 2009, 11:42
but you can live well on that. I had a friend get a job at a university dealing with exchange programs, he said he got 1000 a month doing it, and had a few odd jobs on the side to raise another 500 but lived great and loved it for three years.

WesleyCrusher
May 18th, 2009, 12:24
I've heard good things about the France one.

http://www.frenchculture.org/spip.php?rubrique424&tout=ok

There's a link to the site if you're interested. A JET I know did this a while back and he loved it.

Neb
May 18th, 2009, 12:25
limited to American citizens only, lame

WesleyCrusher
May 18th, 2009, 13:37
Ironic isn't it, considering the whole freedom fries/fatties thing.

http://www.kmk-pad.org/angebote-fuer-auslaendische-schueler-lehramtsstudierende-und-lehrkraefte/lehramtsstudierende-assistenzzeiten-an-schulen-in-deutschland/fremdsprachenassistentenprogramm/

For students studying German, assistant English teaching positions in secondary schools

Neb
May 18th, 2009, 13:38
Goddamn, look at those words, could they BE any longer? geez.....

UPGRAYEDD
May 18th, 2009, 14:26
Hehe Fremdsprachenassistentinnen

UPGRAYEDD
May 18th, 2009, 14:28
Man it'd be great to learn German (actually I want to learn Swedish) but I just turned 26 yesterday and need to get a move on my career before 30.

I wish I finished college at 21 that would have given me time for that.

Neb
May 18th, 2009, 14:31
So you think that after a few years on JET I'd still have some time to try out another country before giving some career a go?

UPGRAYEDD
May 18th, 2009, 14:42
Yep

There's that social stigma to get a move on before 30 ya know?

wicket
May 19th, 2009, 03:44
There is? Guess it only affects you if you give a fuck what society thinks.

elleohelle
May 19th, 2009, 03:57
I think the only reason I would worry about doing ALT work in my 30's is not so much stigma (i agree with you wicket), but more retirement funds, etc. But, I know other countries retirement systems work differently. That's not to criticize people that do it, I just know that is something I would worry about.

wicket
May 19th, 2009, 04:01
that's why you get yourself a job you can take extended unpaid leave from, so your pension fund isn't affected unduly!

WesleyCrusher
May 19th, 2009, 09:28
There is? Guess it only affects you if you give a fuck what society thinks.

Or potential new employers...

I'm giving myself until 25 or so, then it's time to settle down or I'll never have any money ever.

German is fucking hard, I know it's got 40% lexical compatibility with English and all but there's a big difference between being able to read/understand it versus being able to produce it with all those stupid m/f/neuter articles

Auburn
May 24th, 2009, 16:25
Ironic isn't it, considering the whole freedom fries/fatties thing.

http://www.kmk-pad.org/angebote-fuer-auslaendische-schueler-lehramtsstudierende-und-lehrkraefte/lehramtsstudierende-assistenzzeiten-an-schulen-in-deutschland/fremdsprachenassistentenprogramm/

For students studying German, assistant English teaching positions in secondary schools
My sister just finished up on this program. She left her contract early, so I don't think she'd recommend this.

elleohelle
May 24th, 2009, 16:26
There's a similar fulbright program in Germany and it's fairly easy to get in. If you don't mind me asking, why did your sister leave early? Sorry it didn't work out for her.

wicket
May 24th, 2009, 16:53
Or potential new employers...

fair point. i already had a job i could take indefinite leave from.

puzzlepiece
May 24th, 2009, 22:53
I did the French one and loved it--I was in Strasbourg and got offerred a position without knowing very much French at all.

The pay was horrible, but I hardly ever had to work. I worked about eight hours per week.

I had to find my own apartment the first week which was very difficult and stressful.

My job was teaching at a University, though, which was very fun and easy. The hardest part was orientation that was entirely in French (for like six hours).

wicket
May 24th, 2009, 23:13
anyone know of any similar positions in france where you don't have to be an american? hubby's best mate is currently in paris looking for ESL or EFL work [he's trained and experienced]