PDA

View Full Version : Natsukashi

AtomicYak
May 15th, 2004, 01:25
For those who have been....

When you think back to your time in Japan, what imagery elitcits the most emotional response?

For me the first is a silent night being broken by the warning bells of a train coming, followed by sound of the train rolling by, fading off into the distance. Once the bells stop you can often faintly hear the ones from the next stop. I don't know why that gets me every time I think of it. It haunts me.

Next would be raining cherry blossoms at a picnic on temple grounds.

Finally it's all the people that made the last trip so special.

Ageha
May 15th, 2004, 03:26
When you think back to your time in Japan, what imagery elitcits the most emotional response?

For me, it's not so much imagery (although of course there are things I distinctly recall), but tastes and sounds. I have incredile bouts of nostolgia when I drink mugicha or green tea, smell tatami, or (if I'm watching j-drama) hear the sounds as characters walk into conbini, the sound of the streetlight changing, or the crossing guard coming down at train tracks. And humidity, too. ;p You can *never* forget the opressing humidity of Japan once you've experienced it.

feenix
May 15th, 2004, 03:27
On my first night in Tokyo, I still remember standing at the foot of a stairway to the shrine across the street from my hotel. It was around 3 AM and I just got back from meeting a college friend for coffee. I remember thinking to myself (and pinching myself...) "I'm finally here!" The neighborhood was where all the government buildings and such were so there wasn't a soul around save for the police box around the corner. It was sooo quiet. I still think of the moment and get a sleepy, peaceful, lonely kind of feeling inside.

Chiara
May 15th, 2004, 03:35
the sound of nightingale floors.

my favourite day in Japan was when i walked all over Kyoto, all by myself. in the afternoon i visited Nijo Castle, which was my first experience of nightingale floors (they squeak even at the lightest touch, an early warning for those inside!).

I was in the cinema the other day, watching Twighlight Samurai, and one of the buildings had them...when i heard the noise i was instantly back there, padding around in my socks and wondering if i had been burned by the sun on my walk there...

Manshonyagger
May 15th, 2004, 03:43
Coming across four guys playing the shamisen outside a train station in the depressing urban sprawl of Fujisawa.

Seeing the evening sky reflected in flooded paddy fields from a train window.

Stuff like that...^^

dobharrison
May 15th, 2004, 03:54
Simply BEING in Tokyo. I would frequently walk around Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku and Ebisu and suddenly stop and think, 'Jesus! I'm in Tokyo! I'm in f**king Tokyo!'

It really blew me away to be there walking those streets. I love big cities and Tokyo is a perfect example of one that almost works! The best and worst of humanity in one compact package.

My other great memory is being with my colleagues in an Italian restaurant in Fujisawa pretending we were playing 'Blind Date'. This was one of the funniest and most enjoyable nights of my life. I'll be introducing you all to the pleasures, have no worries!

dobharrison
May 15th, 2004, 03:55
It does get very rude, though, so watch out!

Canuck
May 15th, 2004, 04:22
I always feel 'natsukashii' when I hear one of those Mongol800 songs. They were always playing when I was in Japan, whether at karaoke or just sitting around getting pissed drunk and acting like idiots until dawn.
Of course there's the green tea and tatami...but those times just having the time of my life with people who I just met but were suddenly my best friends...ah, sugoku natsukashii! *sniff*