PDA

View Full Version : JLPT 4 or 3

Gezora
May 30th, 2009, 00:46
My dilemma:

I took Japanese classes for 5 years (2 in high school and 3 in college). I had about a three year gap where I did no serious studying and forgot a bunch of shit. There are times when I randomly remember things and I have no idea why I know them.

As of now I feel confident that I could pass JLPT4 in terms of kanji, vocab, and grammar points.

I've started learning JLPT3 kanji and vocab, grammar not so much. If I started busting my ass off now, is it feasible that I could pass JLPT3?

Is JLPT4 worth taking if I have even a remote chance of getting 3-kyuu?

elleohelle
May 30th, 2009, 01:34
This is my opinion, but I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that 4 kyu is so easy it's considered a waste of time. I'm in about your same boat, and I'm hoping to take 3kyu. Just my two yen.

tomoe_hotaru
May 30th, 2009, 02:03
I took the JLPT just last winter. i didnt take level 4 and it was my last time to it take, so i decided to skip 4 and take 3. like ellohello said, level 4 is super easy. its all very basic japanese. I passed level three by looking over my genki textbooks and studying kanji like crazy.

saritajuanita
May 30th, 2009, 02:51
if you studied japanese before, 3 is definitely definitely doable. don't waste your time with 4. you have until december to study, and you probably wouldn't even have to study really hardcore, either.

Tarquin
May 30th, 2009, 09:41
remember that the JLPT is changing from this year, and there are now 5 levels, so you'll probably want level 4 still, but the difficulty is the same as the current level 3 I believe.

elleohelle
May 30th, 2009, 12:29
remember that the JLPT is changing from this year, and there are now 5 levels, so you'll probably want level 4 still, but the difficulty is the same as the current level 3 I believe.

Is that starting in 2009 or 2010? I was hoping to take the JLPT in December.

Coollead
May 31st, 2009, 12:38

This is the last year for the proper 1-4.

patjs
May 31st, 2009, 13:00
If you have 5 years of Japanese there's no reason you can't pass level 3. Just review a bit and I'm sure it will come back to you.

Hyakuman
June 1st, 2009, 10:34

This begins for the 2010 writing year, and really only affects the gap between level 3 and level 2. They're just adding in a filler because of concerns that the gap between level 3 and 2 was too big for people to consistently take the test (eg. one level each year).

Atalante
June 1st, 2009, 14:33
I took 4kyu here my first year, I came with no Japanese ability and I found the test to be pretty challenging. I mean, sure, looking back it's a piece of cake, but for someone who's a beginner at the language it's not something to scoff at. You need to know your shit if you want to pass.

If you do have prior background, then just take 3kyu and study hard for it, I never took the 3kyu test but I saw practice ones and they seemed pretty reasonable. I'd recommend looking at some 4kyu and 3kyu practice tests and see which one looks like a better fit for where you are. If you can pass the 4kyu practice test no problem, go for 3kyu.

staroverfuji
June 2nd, 2009, 10:55
Do 3kyu, dont waste your time with 4 unless you are just starting, which you are not. I passed and i suck at tests.

Ruairi
June 2nd, 2009, 11:41
I'm starting from scratch so think it will be 4 for me.

Nukemarine
June 2nd, 2009, 17:43
Why do you need to take the JLPT 3 or 4? Is there some job demanding it?

Ruairi
June 2nd, 2009, 17:55
A target or something to work towards? I'd imagine that's what a lot of people use it for. Iunno.

Gezora
June 4th, 2009, 19:12
Why do you need to take the JLPT 3 or 4? Is there some job demanding it?
Not specifically. I'm using it as a motivator to study Japanese that has a fixed timeline. You can also take the certificate to a potential employer to say, "I know this much Japanese."

enigmaneo
June 5th, 2009, 13:00
I came to Japan, and I had studied before I came. I decided to not take 4kyuu. I'm glad I saved my money.

Oonter
September 19th, 2009, 19:53
I like this topic. I relate to what's going on.

I took one Japanese class and then studied on my own. I came to Japan (march) only knowing hiragana and katana. I just took a 4級 practice test. I practically aced it except for grammar. I missed WAY too many grammar points when studying. I think I'll shoot for 3 級 at this point.

Question: How does the listening section work? Does each test taker have an individual player? Or is it played for everyone at once? How many times is it played? I was fine with listening after 2-3 times of listening. Once wasn't enough for me.

Absolute
September 19th, 2009, 20:26
I like this topic. I relate to what's going on.

I took one Japanese class and then studied on my own. I came to Japan (march) only knowing hiragana and katana. I just took a 4級 practice test. I practically aced it except for grammar. I missed WAY too many grammar points when studying. I think I'll shoot for 3 級 at this point.

Question: How does the listening section work? Does each test taker have an individual player? Or is it played for everyone at once? How many times is it played? I was fine with listening after 2-3 times of listening. Once wasn't enough for me.
The whole listening section is run from a CD that everyone hears at the same time.
It's only played through once.

patjs
September 19th, 2009, 21:11
reading this thread again... I still find it hard to believe 3 kyuu would be much of a challenge for people with that much study behind them.

why not just study hard for a year and take 2?

wicket
September 19th, 2009, 23:50
because there is a MASSIVE jump between 3 and 2.
having said that, i'm skipping 2 and going straight for 1 this december, so wish me luck.

dombay
September 20th, 2009, 00:18
Good luck Wicket! I'd go and do me a JLPT but I've got no time to study Japanese anymore :(

In terms of the OP I'd go for 3. It's not that hard and you could totally learn the necessary kanji and vocab and grammar before Decemeber. The listening just takes practice and same with the reading so that's more the sore point but there's no point messing around with something you know you'll pass anyway.

wicket
September 20th, 2009, 05:23
It's amazing how much listening practice you can get through during 5am feeds.
Get yourself a baby, Dombay!

Taurus
September 20th, 2009, 15:23
I really don't see the point in taking the lower levels of the JLPT. As far as I can tell, it's not a qualification that has any merit other than to show that you can pass it, and surely you can determine that by testing yourself using past papers (you can buy them in bookstores with a CD for the listening section). At least if you take level 2 or 1 then you are obtaining a qualification that some employers will be interested in.