View Full Version : Totally bilingual student

June 2nd, 2009, 20:49
Hi all:

I've never had a situation like this come up in class before, so any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm a kindy teacher, and students have the option of taking additional English classes with me after school. I've just had a new student join up, and she pretty much speaks English like an American child. Full sentences, no Japanese accent, better vocabulary than most kids of her age I meet at home. Her parents lived abroad for years, she was actually born in Florida and lived there for her first year, and apparently they only speak English at home.

All good and well, except the rest of the class is still learning to say "good afternoon". I have no idea how to meet her needs without totally confusing the others. They're all really little, so I can't just give her advanced work and let her do it on her own while I work with the others.

Any ideas on how to teach a kid who's so far ahead of the others?

June 2nd, 2009, 22:06
Don't put the kid under the spotlight unless that student is really out going, the kid probably wants to blend in.

I have probably 2 kids with better English abilities, one of them lived in Australia and the other is just gifted for languages.

So far, I try to talk with the kids during breaks or after school. You might throw some extra questions, but nothing too complicated. You don't want the other kids to make fun of your new student. When you are walking in the class, there is nothing wrong in doing small talk in a low voice while your JTE is busy getting them to write CD or PLAY in their Eigo Notto.

June 2nd, 2009, 22:15
Maybe ask her if she wants to be your assistant? I have a student like this and that's what I eventually ended up doing and she loves it, but she's also outgoing to begin with.

June 3rd, 2009, 00:33
You could try giving her an English comic or something to read, if she's getting bored or distracted in lessons. If not and she's still taking part, I agree with others - just teach the lesson as normal, and maybe use her as your interpreter to help to explain things.

June 3rd, 2009, 09:05
She might get something out of phonics/alphabet/basic reading and writing lessons unless her parents have already taught her to read and write English as well.

And you can teach basic alphabet to the little kiddies as well!