PDA

View Full Version : Posting stuff home: Post office convenience

Paul
June 4th, 2009, 23:17
I'm tired so I'll keep this short.

The post office is the cheapest way to send stuff home. 30kg to the UK by surface mail is 13000 yen.

It comes with the added bonus of free pickup by simply giving the post office a call. They also have a dedicated English phone number. Can you get any better service than this? I honestly think not.

Hats off to them, fantastic service.

Ruairi
June 4th, 2009, 23:23
That sounds pretty decent compared to some of the prices that were floating about one of the other 'sending shit home' threads. Take it you're sorted so, good job.

fragglerocker
June 6th, 2009, 17:41
In case anyone is wondering, you can also send home suitcases using the post office's surface mail and it's way cheaper than using shipping companies. I dragged a 23kg suitcase to the post office and they wrapped it up really well and it cost just over 11,000 to send back to the UK.

Paul
June 8th, 2009, 16:51
The very happy post office man came to my door within 50mins of me calling for a pickup. I'm so going to miss Japanese customer service :(

Urthona
June 10th, 2009, 13:55
The post office told me that my bags are too big. I tried using a standard duffel bag to ship my stuff home. I have to look for a back-up now.

EDIT: Has anyone used this company - http://www.shipmates.jp/index.php

Paul
June 10th, 2009, 14:23
The post office told me that my bags are too big. I tried using a standard duffel bag to ship my stuff home. I have to look for a back-up now.

EDIT: Has anyone used this company - http://www.shipmates.jp/index.php

Did you look at the max size allowed on their website? I sent an absolutely huge box that required 2 people to lift and it was just within their max limits for the UK (3m using their dimension charts).

Urthona
June 10th, 2009, 14:27
Did you look at the max size allowed on their website? I sent an absolutely huge box that required 2 people to lift and it was just within their max limits for the UK (3m using their dimension charts).

Is it this link?

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/i_parcel_en.html

I was using one of those standard duffel bags that have a pair of wheels to make them easier to move in an airport, so I was surprised that he was saying it was too big - especially if the sizes above are allowed.

Paul
June 10th, 2009, 14:45
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/img/int/service/pic_i_parcel_en.gif

Yep, that one. The bag you describe should be alright, as long as its not longer than 1.5m on one side and within 3m length+(width+breadth)x2

Urthona
June 10th, 2009, 14:53
http://www.post.japanpost.jp/img/int/service/pic_i_parcel_en.gif

Yep, that one. The bag you describe should be alright, as long as its not longer than 1.5m on one side and within 3m length+(width+breadth)x2

Cool, thanks. Not to sure why he was saying it was too big as it fits within those dimensions.

I'll print out the Japanese version of that page and start asking why it isn't okay.

Also, does anyone know about the M-bags - the bags for shipping books? I did a price estimate at the maximum weight - 30 kg and it quoted the price as the same as any other 30 kg thing sent by surface mail. I thought that the printed matter only shipping was meant to be a bit cheaper?

Neb
June 10th, 2009, 14:58
You could always try a different post office, I remember i was trying to ship something over from one post office, but the person there was giving me shit, so I just tried a different one and bam no problems...admittedly this was all in Canada, but I'm sure it applies everywhere (a person being an asshole etc).

Paul
June 10th, 2009, 15:08
Also, does anyone know about the M-bags - the bags for shipping books? I did a price estimate at the maximum weight - 30 kg and it quoted the price as the same as any other 30 kg thing sent by surface mail. I thought that the printed matter only shipping was meant to be a bit cheaper?

I very seriously considered an mbag then realised it works out cheaper to just send 2 mixed content boxes (ie. standard parcels) of 30kg and 20kg rather than split it into books for an mbag and a standard parcel for others.

yohgrl23
June 10th, 2009, 15:12
the Mbag thing is great.
I just did it yesterday. I had about 9 kilo's of books and sent it to the U.S for 4000 yen. My friend had about 13 kilos and it was about 6500 yen to Canada. You can only send books and other printed matter though. Also I had a lot of books but in the end they didn't weigh all that much. Plus I have plenty of other stuff to ship so my boxes are mostly full.

Paul
June 10th, 2009, 15:20
To the UK by surface mail:
15kg mbag = 6700 yen
30kg parcel = 13750 yen.

In my situation, it was cheaper just to send 2 huge boxes of crap instead of books in a bag and then boxes of crap.

yohgrl23
June 10th, 2009, 15:41
makes sense kek.

i have about 3 or 4 boxes worth of stuff... (i know i'm a packrat) so it made sense for me to do the books and the rest of the junk separately. either way i'm paying out the ear to get all this shit home. my 500 yen savings bank is definitely getting cracked open for the next trip to the post office.

Paul
June 10th, 2009, 15:47
for the next trip to the post office.

Give them a call on the english number for a free pickup. Why get all sweaty lugging all your stuff to the post office? Get them to come to you :)

Urthona
June 11th, 2009, 08:23
Fucking America, they don't use A - the 3 meter measurement but rather B, which is only 2 meters. So, my bags were about 30 cm over the limit - longest side plus circumference from the other two sides.

For the anti-mildew, anti-bug packets that keep stuff dry in damp conditions - what are those called in Japanese? I'm guessing a pharmacy will sell them, right? How many should be put in a large cardboard box anyway?

dombay
June 11th, 2009, 08:28
Right dumb question but save me a trip to the post office.

Do I use any old box or should I buy a box from Japan Post or is that even possible?

Urthona
June 11th, 2009, 08:39

Do I use any old box or should I buy a box from Japan Post or is that even possible?

I was told yesterday that I could use a box from somewhere else. Japan Post boxes only seem to go up to 120 cm total anyway.

Paul
June 11th, 2009, 09:06
For the anti-mildew, anti-bug packets that keep stuff dry in damp conditions - what are those called in Japanese? I'm guessing a pharmacy will sell them, right? How many should be put in a large cardboard box anyway?

Not a clue, I didn't use any. I may regret it later, but hopefully not as surely it's up to the transporter to keep conditions within reason.

Any box can be used. the post office only has tiny ones, if you want bigger ones, get them from http://www.bestcarton.com/ I got a bloody strong 3m total dimension box (biggest allowed for UK) for about 800 or 900 yen. Max weight allowed by post office is 30kg, but that box could have held 50kg no problem.

lains
June 11th, 2009, 10:07
How about insurance?

Paul
June 11th, 2009, 12:09
Insurance isn't offered for surface mail shipments to the UK, that's all I know. The postman actually made a mistake on this and offered me it at first, but then drove back to my home an hour later and said sorry but he made a mistake.

Just check at the post office for where you want to send it to and by which method.

lains
June 11th, 2009, 12:37
Cheers... will have to do a bit of research. I was going to use shipmates but now as I pack up our stuff I think that there might not be as much as I first thought... not enough to make their cost worth it anyway.

But as we are sending the PS3, DVD player and other random expensive things I want to be sure it's gonna get there in one piece - or be able to be replaced!

Delekii
June 11th, 2009, 14:17
Do you live in BFI kek or am I going to have to drive into my local city?

If I can ring an English number and say "come pick up my 30kg box and send it to Australia for 1.5man" I am going to be very very happy!

Paul
June 11th, 2009, 19:16
Do you live in BFI kek or am I going to have to drive into my local city?

If I can ring an English number and say "come pick up my 30kg box and send it to Australia for 1.5man" I am going to be very very happy!

It's not BFI, but a smallish city 40mins south of Osaka. Give the number a ring and see what they say. I expect they will come and pick it up for you, as surely they deliver to you, right? :)

dombay
June 12th, 2009, 10:49
Righto just back from my friendly post office.

I bought two big yuupaku boxes for 700ish yen. The boxes aren't all that big but the post office lady said that if i am creative I can turn two boxes into one BIG box and the post office is fine with that. That should be all the pace I need and I might get an Mbag for my books as well.

But I think you can only send an M bag from big city post offices so i might have to head on down to Fukuyama for that.

yohgrl23
June 12th, 2009, 11:21
But I think you can only send an M bag from big city post offices so i might have to head on down to Fukuyama for that.

yeah for the Mbag you need a big city post office. we learned that there were only 2 post offices in my ken that do it (oddly enough both are in the same city on opposite sides of the station)

kuroneko87
June 17th, 2009, 11:41

you cant use boxes that have contained food products when sending to Australia, customs/quarantine wont allow them in.

kuroneko87
June 17th, 2009, 11:46
Does each area have a different english number for the post office or it is just a standard number.

I had to carry my first boxes of winter clothes to the post office and it wasn't easy I would like to avoid that again if possible!!

Paul
June 18th, 2009, 08:49
Does each area have a different english number for the post office or it is just a standard number.

I had to carry my first boxes of winter clothes to the post office and it wasn't easy I would like to avoid that again if possible!!

Standard number. When all was said and done, the lady I was speaking to called my local post office and arranged it with them.