PDA

View Full Version : Group C Contract

Caito
June 6th, 2009, 12:39
Hisashiburi desu, ne? This may be a stupid question, but whatever.

My boyfriend and I are both second-year JETs returning home this year. I was originally shortlisted, but he was an alternate, therefore while my first year contract began in July 2007, his did not begin until late August 2007. (I guess that's group C?) Because of this, he tells me his second year contract lasts until well into August of this year (whereas mine ends in late July). I just wanted to make sure - is this accurate?

Tegan
June 6th, 2009, 14:06
I think that just means he was in group B. Group C begins and ends in April.

Neb
June 6th, 2009, 14:12
No group C is definitely late August (lateish rather, around August 20th), the April arrivals are classified as just that, April arrivals for the April Orientation...

mteacher80
June 7th, 2009, 09:16
Yes if he was group C then his contract started in late august. but that does not mean he has to be there until late august. C is not a group that people would normaly come in unless there were other circumstances. so if his school is continuing with the JET program they will most likely be getting a new ALT in either group A or B this year. but rather than asking us i think it is best for him to just confirm it with his CO. also be careful with pension stuff. group C or later upgrades sometimes havent paid the full amount into the pension system and can ofen get less money back than their group A and B counterparts.

Timoshi
June 7th, 2009, 20:02
Afaik group C contracts end at the same as group B.

Caito
June 8th, 2009, 20:48
Okay, thanks guys. It's something that's come up in conversation more than a few times in the past several months, and I don't want to really nitpick about it without being reasonably sure it's the case (that his contract ends in late July). And yeah, that stinks about the pension... though his situation has been really good for him to be able to make and save money otherwise.