PDA

View Full Version : Function: Thank you

Ruairi
July 17th, 2009, 01:55
I frequent another forum were there exists a nifty lil feature (imo) that allows one to thank a previous poster for their input to a thread. It takes the form of a simple 'thank you' link beside the 'edit' and 'quote' link at the bottom of a post. It is used to (obviously) thank a poster for their contribution to a thread, express agreement/support with a sentiment or proposal and is an effortless way to contribute to a thread when one doesn't want to bog it down with repetitive posts. Thoughts?

Bear in mind I don't know anything regarding the feasibility or difficulty of applying such a function.

Ini
July 17th, 2009, 02:27
to what end?

Ruairi
July 17th, 2009, 02:37
In terms of purpose? Different users use it in different ways from what I can gather. A lot of the time I use to express agreement with a poster instead of making a post to that effect. Sometimes users thank posts that they find humourous or informative. Sometimes users thank posts that they share the same sentiment as. Sometimes it's merely used as a brown-nosing lovefest tool for users to lick ass. I'm sure there are other alternatives. Maybe it's not all that useful but it is something I like and possibly use more regularly than actually posting on other forums.

In general on forums I am a reader rather than a poster.

Ini
July 17th, 2009, 02:43
do users really care if people agree with what they have to say? The removal of the "+1" posts might be nice but it just strikes me as a useless enterprise

Ruairi
July 17th, 2009, 02:50
On this board? I'd venture a hell yeah. Beyond mere agreement I think it's a way to participate in a thread without actually posting, however mundane that method may be. If it's not doable, it's not doable. If it is, what's the harm?

Ini
July 17th, 2009, 02:54
but how would your participation be acknowledged? A counter on each post showing how many people agreed with it? After the novelty wears off will people take the time to click thank you on every post they agree with?

Ruairi
July 17th, 2009, 02:57
Ah, I didn't explain that bit. I thought it was a common feature on other forums. Apologies! When one thanks a post the username is displayed in a subfield beneath that post.

Ini
July 17th, 2009, 03:03
wouldn't that just clog the board up? if everyone clicks thank you on every 3rd post we would only fit a few posts on each page

Ruairi
July 17th, 2009, 03:07
No, it shouldn't. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow and post it so you can see how it looks. It takes up very little space.

Ruairi
July 17th, 2009, 14:59
Sorry, no screen shot. Check out this thread and you'll see how it looks:

Man charged $23 quadrillion for a pack of cigarettes - boards.ie (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055622838)

fidelity
July 17th, 2009, 22:04
I think a +1 button might be useful in reducing post clutter if there were some way to implement it cleanly, and I have occasionally missed something like it here. It can lead to weird +1-dick-measuring contests, sometimes, where people participate in threads more to show off and get agreement than to converse, but that would never happen here.

yohgrl23
July 18th, 2009, 09:26
so it's like the like button on facbook?
as more of a reader than a poster on this site i don't mind the idea

Paul
July 18th, 2009, 13:52
I'm not sold on the idea. I think it's a waste of screen estate and serves no function other than to enlarge the e-peen of the original poster. Who cares if someone finds the post interesting? So yea, not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Waldroon
July 20th, 2009, 11:28
+1, thank you.

helenk579
June 1st, 2010, 12:55
I think a +1 button might be useful in reducing post clutter if there were some way to implement it cleanly, and I have occasionally missed something like it here. It can lead to weird +1-dick-measuring contests, sometimes, where people participate in threads more to show off and get agreement than to converse, but that would never happen here.

I also think so.

Tarquin
June 1st, 2010, 16:28
This is a topic that hasn't been discussed in nearly a year, but it's nice to know your opinion.

mothy
June 1st, 2010, 18:40
I also think so.

And as such a longstanding contributing member of the community your opinion is respected here.

Also I saw that movie about you. It was touching.

Hikari
June 2nd, 2010, 10:09
And as such a longstanding contributing member of the community your opinion is respected here.

Also I saw that movie about you. It was touching.

Hi Mothy!!!!!!!!