PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications needed [any input would be appreciated]

Gib104
August 3rd, 2009, 03:34
Hello all who view or reply to this post:

Ive been considering applying numerous non-JET organizations but my main concern is the fact that I do not possess a degree. So wouldn't you know it they all ask that as a necessity. I know that JET will not take on any applicant that does not possess a degree but the non-JET organizations I wasn't sure if there could be an alternative option, e.g they can base it you your previous work experience etc ?

Just a brief run down of what capable of and currently doing:

resident in Gibraltar, so my native language is English and secondly I'm also fluent in Spanish due to the fact that Spain is Gibraltars next door neighbor.

That's my languages down now work experience wise:

Been working since 17 after I finished at my local College and I have been since the beginning of the year enrolled and working in Gibraltars Police Constabulary (RGP).

Would any of this even consider me having a chance at getting an interview/position as an assistant language teacher ?

If anyone has information with regards to my query, be it organizations that do consider applicants whom do not possess degree's, or any person/s that have applied without degree's and been successful.

To put is lightly any help will be greatly appreciated more than you could imagine.

Thank you
Gib104

Naru-toes
August 3rd, 2009, 13:58
Every ALT job I've ever heard of in Japan requires you to have a college degree. I'm certain that you would not be able to get an ALT job at a public high school without one. While it is possible in theory that a private school would be willing to give you a try, I tend to doubt it as the Japanese tend to value certificates and degrees quite highly.
As for other work, I think Japanese immigration has fairly high standards as well. Do you know if your country has a Working Holiday Visa agreement with them? That might work for you.

UPGRAYEDD
August 3rd, 2009, 14:03
You can always work conversation school with no degree but I doubt you will ever see the inside of a real school without a college degree.

Gib104
August 3rd, 2009, 19:15
Would the situation change if I possesed a recognised teaching certificate/qualification but not to a degree level and had reference letters from schools in my area that state I have been working voluntarily as an assistant teacher ?

UPGRAYEDD
August 3rd, 2009, 19:24
no

Gib104
August 3rd, 2009, 19:33
So to my unerstanding, there is no possible options for me to take since I do not posses a degree. Would you provide me with some information on coverstational Schools that might consider me as a possible candidate ?

any information would be appreciated.

Gib104
August 3rd, 2009, 19:46
Every ALT job I've ever heard of in Japan requires you to have a college degree. I'm certain that you would not be able to get an ALT job at a public high school without one. While it is possible in theory that a private school would be willing to give you a try, I tend to doubt it as the Japanese tend to value certificates and degrees quite highly.
As for other work, I think Japanese immigration has fairly high standards as well. Do you know if your country has a Working Holiday Visa agreement with them? That might work for you.

With reference to the Working Holiday Visa I havent divulged into that area just yet for obvious reasons. I want to confirm that I have a possibllty of being considered as a candidate.

A colleague of mine is on his final year as an ALT which he aquired his postion through the JET program including other colleagues have done work throughout Japan. So the Visa question might be answered pending inquires of course.

Also if you could provide any information on private school that arent already on the forum I would be gratefull.

Gib104
August 3rd, 2009, 20:15
On a futher note would a Foundation Degree be considered ?

Naru-toes
August 4th, 2009, 09:57
I don't know enough about Foundation Degrees to really say one way or the other about them. As for specific private schools, I can't really say. There are thousands and thousands of them in Japan. I'd recommend going to Dave's ESL cafe, Gaijinpot, or one of the other sites that are less JET specific and carry help wanted ads to try to find a school that fits your qualifications.

violetessence
August 4th, 2009, 10:27
The problem is that the Japanese government typically only gives work visas to people with 4-year degrees (unless you are on a working holiday visa - but if you are an American, you cannot get this visa). It may be technically possible for a company wanting to sponsor you to petition for a visa even though you do not have a bachelor's degree, I'm not sure, but most companies don't want to be bothered. I know some shady companies have employees working on tourist visas and leaving the country every 90 days, but that's illegal.

UPGRAYEDD
August 4th, 2009, 10:52
To get an instructor visa you almost always need a college degree.

To get the humanities/intl relations visa you don't need a college degree.

So baiscally you have .05% chance of working in a legit Japanese school. But a good chance of finding work at a conversation school.

Naru-toes
August 4th, 2009, 11:21
From this link http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/appendix1.html (http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/appendix1.html) it would seem to be saying that for the humanities/international relations visa you only don't need a college degree if you've had 3 years experience in that line of work.
I'd say working holiday visa is the OP's best chance and with that he'd probably only end up working for conversation schools, not as an ALT.

UPGRAYEDD
August 4th, 2009, 12:52
From this link http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/appendix1.html (http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/appendix1.html) it would seem to be saying that for the humanities/international relations visa you only don't need a college degree if you've had 3 years experience in that line of work.
I'd say working holiday visa is the OP's best chance and with that he'd probably only end up working for conversation schools, not as an ALT.

Being a native speaker of English is the loophole people get for working at eikaiwa. Don't need 3 years of experience for that visa at all.

Dave_L
August 5th, 2009, 06:51
If you're prepared to teach in South Korea you could look at the TALK program. I came across it when I was looking at EPIK, which is South Korea's equivalent of JET. EPIK requires candidates to have a degree but, from what I can remember, you don't need a degree to apply for the TALK program. It's slightly lower pay but its still a job in a public school and one which would be similar to that of an ALT. Try googling something like 'TALK program South Korea' and I'm sure you'll find something.

Good luck!

Akoni
February 11th, 2010, 07:42
Gib :
From my experience and understanding to bring someone from outside will need a form of sponsorship for the visa, and hence the 4year degree requirement.
One person I met came from Long Beach California with enough money to travel in and out of the country a couple of times. He petitioned for conversational positions and after being accepted from one school got sponsored by visiting Korea and returning with a work visa.
Once he had his work visa he was able to acquire jobs easily at other conversation companies, and had a great time.

If the request is to be only in Assistant teaching positions then yes a degree will be required. At an earlier point I was considering those degrees based on life experience, but have not heard how they hold up by anyone.

Another person, would travel from Korea with clothing and sell them out of suitcase or car on the side of the road. After time he made a lot of money, acquired a wife (to stay ) and opened a couple stores. Because he was married he would take up government construction jobs on the side to keep him busy.

The point is you may find other methods to exist within Japan yet not as an Assistant teacher within a public / private school.

hope something there was helpful, I am actually interested in looking into the Korean options others posted.

-Akoni

Langus
February 18th, 2010, 15:04
Your advice is about 6 months late but I'm sure the OP appreciates it just the same...