PDA

View Full Version : GEOS for Children

lauralyn
August 5th, 2009, 09:26
I just got an interview for GEOS for Children. I am very excited and it sounds like a good position from their website. But I was wondering if anyone has interviewed with them recently and has any advice.

Thanks!

ChuChuRocket!
October 15th, 2009, 15:10
I did a while back. It made my skin crawl.

They'll make you come up with a lesson on the spot, with 5 minutes prep. Tell you all about their weird working hours, weekends and evenings. Tell you how you get paid extra for recruiting kids (500¥ a head). Tell you how you can get fired for losing customers, AKA kids not liking you. Tell you all about selling their books and materials. Tell you about the joys of being a "Mall" teacher.

Its a tad scary, a tad disturbing, and a tad soul crushing.

lauralyn
October 15th, 2009, 15:19
I already had the interview and your description is incredibly accurate. I didn't end up getting the job.. but at the interview they told me I was very employable and could probably get a better job than they could offer.. I guess that was their way of letting me down easy?

ChuChuRocket!
October 15th, 2009, 15:40
God, I'm glad I'm not the only one....

I never got a call back from them, which is a good thing. I don't think I could have handled their type of 'job'.

On the upside I found a much much better public teaching gig. Life is better.

maaku
October 16th, 2009, 22:35
I have a 5-hour group interview with Geos for Children tomorrow in Yokohama. I expect the worse. It should be an interesting experience though. I only really hear pretty negative things about Geos, Geos for Children and ECC.

I'm considering a normal private school or an ALT position. I can't wait to just get sponsored for a visa though. Hurry up already.

I have such mixed feelings about the franchises and whatnot. Even small private schools can be all about business and take the rewarding feeling out of teaching. A question to anybody that reads this:- What do you recommend? Where are teachers in Japan most content? A franchise or a small private school or a public school???

lauralyn
October 17th, 2009, 08:09
I have a 5-hour group interview with Geos for Children tomorrow in Yokohama. I expect the worse. It should be an interesting experience though. I only really hear pretty negative things about Geos, Geos for Children and ECC.

I'm considering a normal private school or an ALT position. I can't wait to just get sponsored for a visa though. Hurry up already.

I have such mixed feelings about the franchises and whatnot. Even small private schools can be all about business and take the rewarding feeling out of teaching. A question to anybody that reads this:- What do you recommend? Where are teachers in Japan most content? A franchise or a small private school or a public school???

That's where I had my group interview. Only 3 people showed up though, so it only took about 3 hours. Most of the interview is listening to them sell Geos to you, and them to trying to pass off why its good that they only have you work 29 hrs a week. Also at my interview they told me flat out that I had an advantage because I was female, and Japanese people like female teachers for their kids.

I can't really give you advice about actually teaching, since after that interview I kind of decided that I didn't want to teach in Japan. But if you are actually a teacher, you might be more happy at a public school, rather than a place where you are trying to get customers to take lessons from you. I am currently staying with a someone who was a teacher in her own country is now teaches science here (the school has classes in English and Japanese) and she seems to really enjoy teaching her kids. So hopefully that bit of info helps a bit.. sorry I can't say anything from personal experience.