PDA

View Full Version : Best book for JLPT study

Snarch
August 16th, 2009, 03:05
Hey everybody,

What do you think is the best book for passing the JLPT? I own Genki I and II from my university days (my professor helped write it). But is there a better one for passing the JLPT (3kyuu in particular)? Someone suggested "Mina no Nihongo." Has anyone had experience with that series?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Timoshi
August 16th, 2009, 20:59
No.

You want the Kanzen Master Series book for 3-kyuu.

dombay
August 16th, 2009, 21:11
3q?

Genki.

charmed_23
August 19th, 2009, 07:27
We had minna no nihongo as our University textbooks........I wouldn't say it's designed for the JLPT. For reference, you can buy the books of previous exams, they're really useful. And if you have an iTouch/iPhone, get the app KanjiFlip for kanji study.
Laura

Taurus
August 19th, 2009, 11:33
Minna no Nihongo won't cover everything on the JLPT 3 syllabus, but it's a very good textbook and you can get CDs that accompany it. I would recommend going through Minna no Nihongo and then the Kanzen Master series JLPT 3 grammar textbook to mop up anything that it doesn't cover (or if you're very ambitious, just the Kanzen Master - it basically lists all the grammar, point by point, with a tonne of sample sentences and practice questions). I'm pretty sure that should do the trick.

tenderRondo
August 21st, 2009, 13:23
Where can you buy the old jlpt test books?

elleohelle
August 21st, 2009, 14:21
Maybe Bookoff?

Eira
August 21st, 2009, 14:32
I found last year's at some store that had the master series. I got it right after the test results were out though. There's a website that has a lot of the text parts available but I don't have the link since I'm on my phone. If someone PMs me I'll try to find the bookmark once I get home so I can post it here.

Taurus
August 21st, 2009, 14:35
My local Bookoff is rubbish as far as Nihongo-learning materials go, but you can certainly get them on Amazon (eg. here (http://www.amazon.co.jp/日本語能力試験3・4級試験問題と正解-2007年版/dp/4893586394/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214448124&sr=8-21)), and you can get them in one of the big bookstores near Shinjuku station - the one that's in one of the department store buildings, over two floors.

Eira
August 22nd, 2009, 09:05
I went by the bookstore here yesterday (Iwase), and they had tests from 2007 and 2008.

Also, 日本語能力試験 JLPT - オンライン試験システム-Examination-1991-問題用紙-1 (http://jlpt.biz/jlpt/jlptexamine.do?level=1&year=1991)

Just replace the year and level number with whatever you need. It won't have the listening section, but it might help anyway.

Jcubed
August 24th, 2009, 06:02
I found the JLPT study books from Unicom pretty good. I'm sure Amazon has them and I don't know about smaller bookstores but any major one should.

UPGRAYEDD
August 24th, 2009, 08:15
I ordered the JLPT books directly from unicom and they gave me a trial period to use them before I paid or sent them back.

princessmarisa
September 16th, 2009, 07:32
I found a JLPT3 practise/old exams book in a book-off, but it seemed rare to find any useful Japanese learning material in most of them, and it was always difficult to find which education section they were kept in.

Amazon has lots if you search for JLPT too :)

edit: I like this website too
http://www.jlptstudy.com/

KickOutTheJams
January 14th, 2010, 12:57
This one:

どんな時どう使う 日本語表現文型辞典 (単行本(ソフトカバー)

just copy/paste that into Kinokuniya/Sanseido/Amazon.co.jp to get it, depending on which is convenient for you

enigmaneo
January 15th, 2010, 15:38
The Kanzen Master books is purely a grammar reference for JLPT with practice questions. It's very boring, but I used it once I had finished Minna no Nihongo to reinforce the grammar. Did the problems, and researched the grammar points I had problems with.

Mikewise
January 16th, 2010, 11:17
I studied using all of the books of tests from previous years. I after doing each one, I had a tutor explain the items I didnt understand and retook them again and again. I took 3kyuu this year and I thought that it prepared me pretty well.

I was also using KanjiFlip to study, but one problem that I had with it is that the "block" font they use in the program is very different from the font on the test. I had trouble recognizing some of the kanji in textbook/test form that I had already memorized on my iPod! If possible I would reccommend that you study kanji in the basic font. They are really radically different.

Amnesia
January 16th, 2010, 19:48
will studying from the old books work with the new test though?

UPGRAYEDD
January 16th, 2010, 21:20
Yes

UPGRAYEDD
January 16th, 2010, 21:21
Well depends on the level really.

wicket
January 16th, 2010, 21:32
Already been said, but I'll second the vote for the Unicom books. Also, do as many past papers as you can and then use the Unicom books to go over the questions you get wrong.

matt360
January 20th, 2010, 12:34
This one:

どんな時どう使う 日本語表現文型辞典 (単行本(ソフトカバー)

just copy/paste that into Kinokuniya/Sanseido/Amazon.co.jp to get it, depending on which is convenient for you

I second this book. It covers all grammar from levels 1-4 and it's quite comprehensive. There's another version that is all in Japanese which covers all grammar for levels 1 and 2. I'm surprised it hasn't become the go-to book for everyone studying for JLPT. Most people don't even seem to know about it.

Also the Kanzen Masters grammar book helped me ace grammar for 2kyuu, and the Unicom books were great as well.

Langus
January 22nd, 2010, 12:50
If anyone is looking just to study the kanji for the JLPTs there is a really great app for ipod touch or iphone called "iKanji". You can choose your JLPT or grade level and after it teaches you the kanji you can test yourself on the meanings, the stroke order and the readings or choose one of the group to focus on. It's been a lot of help and the design is great - like a flashcard style. If I recall correctly, it only costs $4.99 too.