PDA

View Full Version : VISA after leaving JET

shortee
August 24th, 2009, 19:06
I have searched for the answer to this question, but can't find the answer that applies in my case. I just finished 2 years on JET and currently on vacation in Thailand. It's been 2 weeks since I left Japan and I wanted to go back to Japan for some sightseeing. I got a JR pass here in Thailand, but I am not sure how the visa situation works out. To me it makes sense that after I leave the country and turn in my gaijin card, the visa is no longer valid and when I come back it'll automatically be a visitors visa. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks!

BTW, I have an American passport.

mteacher80
August 25th, 2009, 14:19
You should be ok. since you gave up your card and have no permanent residence in japan your current 3 year visa will be void. so when you return tell them that you are coming in as a visitor and you will be in the clear.

Coollead
August 25th, 2009, 20:24
Watch out though.... you may not automatically get the 90 day visa... it's totally possible to get a 14 or 30-day visa, but still should be enough for some sightseeing.

glezoscar
September 1st, 2009, 12:49
Different passport question but...
I recently had to replace a lost passport and the new one is obviously blank. How can I get my JET visa and such replaced?
If my experiences here have taught me anything, it's that my supervisor probably has now clue; which is why I came to this wonderful forum first.