PDA

View Full Version : JLPT results

saritajuanita
September 2nd, 2009, 14:27
...came out today. check your mailbox

UPGRAYEDD
September 2nd, 2009, 14:35
Wonder how long it takes for them to get to the middle of Shikoku.

kamukamuume
September 2nd, 2009, 16:22
passed the 2kyu with some leeway. I ended up with 329/400 points! now to bust my ass studying for 1kyu. it's a longshot, but I'd love to try for it in December.

UPGRAYEDD
September 2nd, 2009, 17:03
Failed by 3 points.

saritajuanita
September 2nd, 2009, 17:07
i got a 60.5%...

but unfortunately took 1kyu so... fail. however, i am really quite pleased with my score as i was expecting between 40~55, since i barely passed 2kyu with a 66% last last december.

when i was taking the test i thought, "well this isn't any harder than 2kyu was" and it turns out my 1kyu score for listening was actually better than i had done on 2kyu, reading was about the same, just the stupid vocab and kanji was worse.

doing the math, i need to get 38 more questions correct than i did this time around. i do not think that is even possible within the few months til december but i'll take it anyway just for the heck of it.

krazie85
September 2nd, 2009, 20:56
Passed 2kyu.

Writing/Vocab 77/100
Listening 81/100
Reading/Grammar 164/200

Total Score 322/400 80.5%

Ill take it. A lot of people were surprised when I told them I was going to take 2 kyu as I have only been here for a year and came knowing zero kanji, just hiragana and katakana and simple phrases. But just goes to show it is possible, just have to study.

kamukamuume
September 2nd, 2009, 21:03
Passed 2kyu.

Writing/Vocab 77/100
Listening 81/100
Reading/Grammar 164/200

Total Score 322/400 80.5%

Ill take it. A lot of people were surprised when I told them I was going to take 2 kyu as I have only been here for a year and came knowing zero kanji, just hiragana and katakana and simple phrases. But just goes to show it is possible, just have to study.

wow, that is truly incredible. what kinds of resources did you use to study? you kicked my butt on reading/grammar and I majored in Japanese!

krazie85
September 2nd, 2009, 21:11
wow, that is truly incredible. what kinds of resources did you use to study? you kicked my butt on reading/grammar and I majored in Japanese!

When I got here in August last year I went through Genki 1 and 2 by October. Then from there until about Feb I started using Anki. Only put vocab words in and always wrote the kanji. Got up to about 400 Kanji and realized that this was too slow. Did Heisig in about 6 weeks, finishing in March I think. From March until test date, just entered sentences in to an Anki deck. Then starting about May did the Kaizen Master grammar book (put all the sentences in anki).

I put a lot of time in studying and the biggest thing was my consistency. I also have always been an extremely good test taker and have a really good visual memory so the sentence method works really well for me.

krazie85
September 2nd, 2009, 21:13
Didn't mention it but I read just about everything I can. If you want a good book that isn"t too hard to read try buying Murakami's Norway Woods. It is a famous book but I find it not too bad to read at my level. I am like 200 pages in and it has only taken about a month. Im reading about 10 pages every 30 mins.

Also have been good at reading comprehension my whole life, got my highest scores on that on SAT and GMAT.

But again, with dedication, I think anyone can pass 2 kyuu in a year, its just a matter of putting your mind to it.

kamukamuume
September 2nd, 2009, 21:13
When I got here in August last year I went through Genki 1 and 2 by October. Then from there until about Feb I started using Anki. Only put vocab words in and always wrote the kanji. Got up to about 400 Kanji and realized that this was too slow. Did Heisig in about 6 weeks, finishing in March I think. From March until test date, just entered sentences in to an Anki deck. Then starting about May did the Kaizen Master grammar book (put all the sentences in anki).

I put a lot of time in studying and the biggest thing was my consistency. I also have always been an extremely good test taker and have a really good visual memory so the sentence method works really well for me.

I should definitely learn to use anki.

congratulations, though! your motivation and consistency have definitely paid off.

krazie85
September 2nd, 2009, 21:15
I should definitely learn to use anki.

congratulations, though! your motivation and consistency have definitely paid off.

Thanks. congrats to you too on passing. Im considering giving 1 a shot in December as well, but I doubt I have any shot at passing.

Igor
September 2nd, 2009, 22:15
Passed 1kyuu, 329/400 and I'm psyched 'cos I kept having stupid dreams about failing it by one point or something ridiculous.

krazie85
September 2nd, 2009, 23:32
Passed 1kyuu, 329/400 and I'm psyched 'cos I kept having stupid dreams about failing it by one point or something ridiculous.

Congrats! Any tips for making the jump from 1 to 2? I was just going to study the same way I did for 2.

shio
September 3rd, 2009, 08:47
Wonder how long it will take to get results for those of us back home.... Anyone in Australia got theirs yet?

UPGRAYEDD
September 3rd, 2009, 08:48
How many points is the grammar section worth?

I actually passed the reading/grammar section but I know I just made a christmas tree for the grammar part.

80% on listening.

How I failed kanji and vocab I'm not sure. Must have been the second half of the section where it gets tricksy. I took a practice test this morning and upped my score by 18 points so I'm on track to win in December.

But failing by 3 points....arrrrgh.

kamukamuume
September 3rd, 2009, 11:56
How many points is the grammar section worth?

I actually passed the reading/grammar section but I know I just made a christmas tree for the grammar part.

80% on listening.

How I failed kanji and vocab I'm not sure. Must have been the second half of the section where it gets tricksy. I took a practice test this morning and upped my score by 18 points so I'm on track to win in December.

But failing by 3 points....arrrrgh.

I think grammar is 200 points, with listening and kanji/vocab each being 100. I know you'll smash that beast in December, so keep at it!

UPGRAYEDD
September 3rd, 2009, 12:04
I think grammar is 200 points, with listening and kanji/vocab each being 100. I know you'll smash that beast in December, so keep at it!

Nah I mean just the grammar questions alone. Not the total combined with the reading.

Igor
September 3rd, 2009, 17:38
Congrats! Any tips for making the jump from 1 to 2? I was just going to study the same way I did for 2.

How did you study for 2?

I never actually sat 2, but for 1 I mostly just read a fuckton of indirectly related material. The preparation books can prepare you for the grammar/vocab, maybe, but reading practice is really what you're going to need, and the only way you can get your speed up is to keep at it. Even if you have all the vocab down, the reading section will probably get you unless you've been working on reading in general.

FiercestCalm
September 3rd, 2009, 18:29
I just got my predecessor's results in the mail and I really want to open them...

matt360
September 4th, 2009, 09:00
I just got my predecessor's results in the mail and I really want to open them...

So, how'd they do?

cm2jr4
September 4th, 2009, 09:34
4 kyu

18/400:'(

Grimalkin
September 4th, 2009, 17:22
Just got my results and I am feeling good. I passed level 2, just barely with 263/400. I was thinking that I would definitely gonna fail because I had to rush the last half the grammar to even finish in time. But just passing is good enough for me, since my final goal is to pass level 1 anyway.

Now to prepare for level 1. No way in hell Ill be ready for it in December though.