PDA

View Full Version : How much was your pension refund?

puma
September 8th, 2009, 09:40
Yeah I saw the JET site with the clusterfuck formulas and I really don't feel like figuring out how much to expect on my own when I can just ask here.

So for those who have left, how many years did you do JET and how much was your pension refund?

Trying to figure out if it's enough on it's own for a down payment on a new car when I go home.

Ini
September 8th, 2009, 09:47
another metrosexual crap wagon? yeah, it'll be enough

Neb
September 8th, 2009, 09:56
Was told it'd be about a months salary for every year you've been there for a max of 3 years...So that'd be like 5k US for a 2 year stay, which is mighty fine.

Hyakuman
September 8th, 2009, 10:11
Max of most recent 3 years can be refunded.

Ziltoid
September 8th, 2009, 10:14
For a 3 year stay that works out to be a tidy sum. Looks like I'm going on a crack fueled hooker binge when I get home.

Oneiro
September 8th, 2009, 11:00
Seriously. That's really quite decent seed money to get back on one's feet when getting back home.

jimbobobb
September 8th, 2009, 12:12
Seriously. That's really quite decent seed money to get back on one's feet when getting back home.

Except that you don't get it for months after you've left the country. Do not count on getting this money quickly or using it to survive off of right off the plane back in your country.

Ziltoid
September 8th, 2009, 12:59
Yeah... I can tell I'm probably going to spend 2 months living with my parents or something ridiculous when I get home.

On the bright side, it will push me to get a job VERY quickly.

puma
September 8th, 2009, 16:23
we have to pay taxes on it? that sucks

japanese or in our home country?

AliDimayev
September 8th, 2009, 16:29
Yeah... I can tell I'm probably going to spend 2 months living with my parents or something ridiculous when I get home.

On the bright side, it will push me to get a job VERY quickly.

I worry about the lag between JET and whatever job I get when I go home. Having to live at home, having not much money (I'll have money saved, but that will be spent only on nece3ssities) and I hope I only take a few weeks to get a job and not months. We'll see...

Gusuke
September 8th, 2009, 16:35
I'm probably going to sock 1000 of mine away to my 401k, and use the rest to buy a car when I start school again.

Jojo
September 8th, 2009, 18:20
you get that back? what about for non jet such as Interac?

Coollead
September 8th, 2009, 18:33
My pred didn't get her refund until April...

Then again, she didn't get back to the states until October.

Coollead
September 8th, 2009, 18:33
you get that back? what about for non jet such as Interac?
It's not a JET exclusive thing....

If you pay Japanese taxes, then you're included. Supposedly.

ten_of_spades
September 8th, 2009, 18:39
we have to pay taxes on it? that sucks

japanese or in our home country?

Hyakuman's not here to correct me, but you can later claim a large portion of the taxes you pay as a refund, so you'll get most of it back.

Ini
September 8th, 2009, 20:40
you do indeed get a tax refund.

moving to the after jet forum

Timoshi
September 8th, 2009, 21:51
NB: getting the tax back isn't automatic. My school didn't even know about it. I had to nominate an agent and get the form from the tax office myself. If rely on your school to do all the paperwork for you, and may end up missing out on 20% of what your entitled to.

Ini
September 8th, 2009, 22:03
true, if you had a less than perfect realtionship with your school/boe it might be an idea to have a friend outside of work handle it all for you

Ziltoid
September 9th, 2009, 08:44
Be sure that its someone you trust. As far as I'm aware, it requires the money to be wired to their Japanese bank account, which they then send to you overseas.

Don't get someone who will leave the money "resting" in their account.

Urthona
September 10th, 2009, 08:30
true, if you had a less than perfect realtionship with your school/boe it might be an idea to have a friend outside of work handle it all for you

This is what I'm doing but from what I understand, there is some random document that my school is holding out on giving my friend. (I forgot to file/do the paperwork until the absolute last minute and didn't even know about it until someone was kind enough to explain it and help on it).

I look forward to some refunding.