PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Around the Region......

Chris
May 17th, 2004, 09:41
Is anyone planning on travalling at all during the holidays whilst in Japan? I'm (hopefully) gonna heading to Australia for a couple of weeks with a friend of mine who is also JETing.
Would love to hear what everyone has got lined up and in particular if anyone has any idea about reasonably priced airlines (i think it's a little out of Ryanair's reach!)
Take it easy
Chris

abunaidave
May 17th, 2004, 10:25
I think I'll concentrate on travelling around Japan at least for the first year... Have to go to Hokkaido in winter for snowboarding at least once, other than that all the touristy stuff I guess (temples/castles/festivals/...). Of course, how often I go to places, and when I go to them depends on where I'm placed...

Oh, and if you do come to Australia, I'm sure there'll be plenty of us willing to suggest places to go/stay... depending on where you are planning to travel of course.

HappyJadeBuddha
May 17th, 2004, 11:53
Thailand and Cambodia are on my list of places to go. I'll be looking for travel pals to slum around Asia with, especially folks interested in seeing southeast Asia.

NSboarderchic
May 17th, 2004, 11:59
I definitely want to travel as much as possible around SE Asia, especially Thailand, Vietnam, Korea, oh I could go on. If you provide me with that Zima, Happyjadebuddha, I'd be more than happy to join you. :)

Do you guys plan on going home during the holidays? I thought it'd be great traveling time, but my friends who did JET before went home, which suprised me.

mistress_pooky
May 17th, 2004, 14:34
I am SO going to do some traveling. I want to get off Japan this time, because last time I was in Japan I was stuck on the island due to SARS. I'd love to go to Hong Kong or Thailand. I'd also love to hit some of the places in Japan that I didnt get to before (Kobe and hiroshima, for example).

perhaps we can travel together sometime. Golden Week, maybe? :wink:

lorenzokenzo
May 17th, 2004, 15:29
South East Asia is top of the list...but i've also got friends who have just moved to Damascus (Syria...don't worry i had to think) so a couple of weeks out there would be cool..

JenrYOKO
May 17th, 2004, 15:55
In my 2 years so far, I've been to China and Thailand, and back to the US twice. I've also done Okinawa, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nikko, Nagano, and places in my area (Yokohama/Kamakura/Hakone/Tokyo). This year's plan is a trip to the US for a wedding, then Australia, and next year I'm heading off to South Korea and Mongolia! I did most of the rest of Asia during college.

Anyway, a great site to link you up with discount air ticket providers is www.jetsetjapan.com (or .org??? .net???) You can fill out a "Flight Finder Inquiry" and it will send out to like 6 agencies, who will then e-mail you back. I've had great luck with this.

For domestic travel I've had good luck with www.nta.or.jp but IACE also has good deals at times. JTB is usually on the expensive end.

dobharrison
May 17th, 2004, 17:32
I'll probably head to Thailand at some point to see my old haunts! And maybe Australia if I can afford it.

Hang on, I'm supposed to be saving money! Aaaargh!!!

downonrodeo
May 17th, 2004, 19:49
I'll be happy if I get away from wherever I'm posted (probably Shikoku or Kyushu) to see Hiroshima, Kyoto, Nara, maybe Sapporo. Also just to revisit Tokyo to meet up with friends and rellies who will be stopping over on their travels to see me. I don't expect them to want to come all the way down to wherever I'll be posted.

As an ALT, what is the most holidays we are likely to get?

yabighoor
May 17th, 2004, 23:37
How much does it cost to get shots in the UK before you get to Japan? Or would it just be cheaper to get them in Jpan?

Dave
May 18th, 2004, 00:59
you know how lots of people are planning on go to Australia and Cambodia and the like...well.......aren't they an awful long way away from Japan? Wouldn't that make it a tad pricey? I'd love to go to all these places but my priority is going to be to explore as much of Japan as I can.
I think if I do leave Japan then South Korea is probably going to be the destination as it's relatively close.

Dynamis
May 18th, 2004, 01:04
Yeah, those places are a long way from Japan, but they are a damn sight closer to Nippon than to Blighty!

Whoever was visiting Damascus though, thats like, 4 hours from London, and im sure its further from Tokyo.

I've already been promised a barbie(Q) in Oz, so im there!

Matt

llumynia
May 18th, 2004, 06:19
i saw this great site about taking the transsiberian railroad across russia and china... it sounded SO neat... think it might have been on jetsetjapan.com

but i think my husband and I might have to come home in december for a friend's wedding. i love them to death... but geeeeezzzz

candy4juju
May 18th, 2004, 17:37
I'm seriously thinking of doing the transiberian to get back home when i finish (whenever that may be!): always wanted to do it and see that side of Russia, great book by Colin Thubron ('In Siberia') on it which goes into history as well as describing his journey.

Also, anyone else wanna go see Komodo dragons in Indonesia?? 8O

Dynamis
May 18th, 2004, 21:37
How much does it cost to get shots in the UK before you get to Japan? Or would it just be cheaper to get them in Jpan?

I'd get them here if I were you. There's no way I'd ever let someone stick a needle in me if we can't communicate.

Shots are pretty pricey. Japanese Encephalitis (sP?) is about 133 squid round here, and is a course of several injections. There's a few others that are cheaper (60ish) but i forget what they're for.

Matt