PDA

View Full Version : Quick Interac Question

Zellous
September 15th, 2009, 04:06
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site but I have been reading threads and have found everyone's advice really helpful. But now I have a question of my own.

One of the ALT places I have applied to is Interac, and I'm happy to say that I received an email last mon (sept 7th) notifying me that I had passed the initial screening and that I would be contacted within the next few days for some details to be confirmed (whatever they may be). My question is this, it's been a week now since I received that email, more than just a few days. I was wondering if this was normal and how long other waited for their phone call??

I'm worried that they might have changed their minds about me or something silly like that, or maybe I'm just being paranoid and impatient?

Thanks everyone!

Jojo
September 15th, 2009, 07:25
i cant remember the exact sequence but if they have said the next stage is that they will ring you then - they will... a few day = a week

Zellous
September 15th, 2009, 09:16
OK thanks jojo, I hope I hear from them this week then!

Jojo
September 15th, 2009, 15:50
Im sure you will. good luck

Zellous
September 15th, 2009, 22:45
OK, quick update! I JUST got off the phone with Maria from the Oxford recruiting office! From what I had read online about the phone call I wasn't expecting what I got. She was very friendly on the phone, but I wasn't expecting to be asked the questions that I got. It seems like it was a short screening session, she asked about what I wanted from a career with Interac, why I chose Japan and some other standard Interview questions (some of which I'm sure I answered on my applicaion). This isn't bad by it's self I just wasn't prepared at all! I think I did OK, not great though, and I did stumble through a couple of questions I didn't know how to answer off the cuff (i.e. the career with Interac one). Also, she asked about my experience teaching (of which I have none) so I am a little worried about this as I had to say no! Do you guys think I should worry?

Anyway, at the end she said she would be in contact again in 2 weeks time via email to let me know if I had managed to get to the interview stage (fingers crossed people). I'm not sure if I have everything they want or how well the conversation really went, but, I did do my best to be very friendly, I made a couple of quips that I hope went over well and made her laugh! I will keep you guys updated if you are interested, and in return maybe you can help me to stop worrying that I wont even get an interview!

Thanks

seal
September 16th, 2009, 11:09
so what you had wasn't an interview?

Zellous
September 16th, 2009, 18:13
Well it felt like one! Thought I wasn't informed that it would be. In the email they sent they just said they would ring to confirm some details? They can call it what they like but it was something.

I'm just worrying now as I have to wait 2 weeks to here if I have gotten a proper interview yet!

Blastoise
September 18th, 2009, 23:51
As far as I know, Interac isn't always entirely clear about what they want or what they're going to give you. You might have to play a bit of a waiting game, but in general they're not a bad option after JET. Just be patient.

Zellous
September 19th, 2009, 02:26
Cool thanks. Do you think I will be OK though? I really hope I at least get an interview!

patjs
September 19th, 2009, 09:44
I think you'll be fine. I had the phone interview in the US and it went basically like that. They guy was kind of a weirdo though and for a recruiter sounded more nervous and stumbly than I did.

Chances are they'll pass you through and then you'll have to go for the live interview and videotaping session (that's at least how it works in the US).

Zellous
September 19th, 2009, 11:31
Hey Patjs thanks for the reply. That's helped put my mind at ease a little. I'm just wondering though. Did you know prior to the phone call that types of things they would ask or did they just say they were calling to 'confirm some details' with you like they did with me?

arislan
September 19th, 2009, 12:06
I really wouldn't worry at all about the phone "interview" - they don't even always do that (I didn't have one, neither did anyone else interviewing with me) - you will 99.9% certainly get a proper interview, and even that's not much to worry about. That's not to say they don't reject people... it just seems to be very rare.

patjs
September 19th, 2009, 15:48
Hey Patjs thanks for the reply. That's helped put my mind at ease a little. I'm just wondering though. Did you know prior to the phone call that types of things they would ask or did they just say they were calling to 'confirm some details' with you like they did with me?

I got a call one day and he was just like we reviewed your application and would like to ask a few questions. He asked me I think what experience I had in Japan and a couple other standard interview questions then told me they want me to sign up for an interview slot.

I ended up being shortlisted for JET so I declined but I will say I thought the guy I was dealing with was kind of unprofessional.

Zellous
September 19th, 2009, 21:44
Hey thanks for the reply Arislan. So have you ever heard of anyone being turned down by Interac then? If so, what reasons did they turn them down for? If you know.

And thanks again Patjs, are you still a JET now then? I didn't get asked about signing up for an interview slot. But like you said it sounds like our experiences are different in some respects.

I really do hope I get the interview! I think I should stop worrying though, I just really want things to work out. Thanks for the replys again guys, are you helping! lol

arislan
September 20th, 2009, 00:59
The only cases I've heard of where people got turned down for Interac (although this was domestic hire) was if there were problems with their visas or degrees.

Not to belittle the criteria or anything, but frankly Interac have pretty low standards. There are a lot of amazing ALTs working for them, but also... well, some of the people I've met, you kind of wonder how on earth they got the job. You seem to just need to be (mostly) sane, and able to speak.

The interview proper is really friendly and a little informal (though maybe it depends who conducts it) - it's more like a chat about your expectations and hopes about Japan, plus the videoed demo lesson. Which I can't imagine holds too much weight because mine left quite a lot to be desired. There's a personality test and a spelling/grammar test, but the former doesn't seem to matter and the latter is easy.

If you're friendly, well-spoken and professional - you'll definitely be offered a job.

patjs
September 20th, 2009, 11:32
Hey thanks for the reply Arislan. So have you ever heard of anyone being turned down by Interac then? If so, what reasons did they turn them down for? If you know.

And thanks again Patjs, are you still a JET now then? I didn't get asked about signing up for an interview slot. But like you said it sounds like our experiences are different in some respects.

I really do hope I get the interview! I think I should stop worrying though, I just really want things to work out. Thanks for the replys again guys, are you helping! lol

I'm still a JET now. I applied as a back up but never made it all the way to the live interview after I got accepted here.

You should be fine though, just relax and remember they probably don't turn many people down.

Zellous
September 20th, 2009, 22:07
Hey Arislan thanks, that post has really really put my mind at ease now lol I don't think I mind that their criteria are low since I'm trying to get work over there! And you both seems so positive, you're already talking about the interview so I'm guessing you are pretty confident for me! That means a lot. I've got a little over a week to wait for a reply now assuming they are prompt and I don't think I'm as worried as I was thanks to you and patjs. So thanks guys. However, if I get turned down now. I'm coming back here and I'm kicking your butts all the way to Korea and back!!!

Shankerbelle
September 22nd, 2009, 07:06
Hey all, I'd also like to put out a thanks, I had applied for Interac as a backup incase im not accepted through JET I panicked as I noticed how many dont get through on their first try (although who's to say id be accepted with interac... must note that i am relatively sane and able to speak!) I received a telephone "interview" on friday and was I would hear from them in the next fortnight or so, so at first was feeling a little low. But at least i know im not the only one. Guess its all a waiting game really.

Good Luck Zellous!

Zellous
September 22nd, 2009, 08:31
Good luck to you too Sinderella! Keep us updated and I will do the same. Just wondering, did you get the same person as myself? Maria from Oxford?

Jojo
September 22nd, 2009, 12:26
Until your told otherwise no news is good news.... just be patient

Shankerbelle
September 23rd, 2009, 04:26
Yea Zellous i did, it caught me off gaurd as she had called me from a mobile number!

She seemed nice enough :)

Zellous
September 23rd, 2009, 10:17
Well I just checked my inbox and got my reply from Interac. I didn't get the interview. I'm very disappointed to say the least. If I had had a better clue as to what the phone call was going to be like I may have had a better chance. I guess there is no point thinking about what ifs now though. Although I know I'm going to be upset about this for a while. Thanks for your encouragement guys.

I guess I will just have to try and be hopeful for the other irons I have in the fire. I have applications sent off to a number of other smaller ALT companies. Perhaps you guys could suggest some that I may not have applied to yet? Also I do have an interview with AEON in Oct, but I was hoping more to get work with an ALT dispatch company.

Good luck to you though Sinderella, I hope your email is better than mine!!!

Grimalkin
September 23rd, 2009, 20:46
Well I just checked my inbox and got my reply from Interac. I didn't get the interview. I'm very disappointed to say the least. If I had had a better clue as to what the phone call was going to be like I may have had a better chance. I guess there is no point thinking about what ifs now though. Although I know I'm going to be upset about this for a while. Thanks for your encouragement guys.

I guess I will just have to try and be hopeful for the other irons I have in the fire. I have applications sent off to a number of other smaller ALT companies. Perhaps you guys could suggest some that I may not have applied to yet? Also I do have an interview with AEON in Oct, but I was hoping more to get work with an ALT dispatch company.

Good luck to you though Sinderella, I hope your email is better than mine!!!

Sorry to hear that, good luck in your other interviews. I'm sure everyone already knows but times are just hard to get a job anywhere because of the economy. Everyone in Japan with an easy cushy job doesn't want to give that up for uncertainty back at home. Getting through to Japan with a decent salary at this point takes some good qualifications and a good interview.

Also about the Interac phone interview, I didnt want to say this earlier to make you nervous, but in my case I was told at the end of the phone interview that they wanted me for the next stage. So if you do well enough you would probably have been told so. I assume if you aren't it means they have to consider you versus other applicants and decide from there.

Best advice I can give to those who haven't had the phone interview yet is just to stay relaxed and answer the questions to the best of your ability. Showing any hesitation or getting quiet during it sure wont help you out. Honestly they won't ask you any questions that you shouldn't know the answer too if you are applying to this kind of job.

Shankerbelle
September 23rd, 2009, 21:20
Good advice, I think the biggest draw back I have is I dont have any teaching qualifications. At least thats the only time she sounded disappointed in the telephone interview.

Im cool with the waiting as if there are those more qualified they are definately more entitled to the position especially if places are limited.

To be fair my application wasnt really 100% as i wasnt too sure if i should have just put my all into my JET and and worry about interac later, i was gutted going through the forums later and began to wish I had put more effort intot he interac app'. I didnt think I had a chance when I read Zellous got a call before me even though i sent off my app beofre him, but who knows lets just see what happens aye.

arislan
September 23rd, 2009, 21:59
Shit, sorry to hear that. I guess it's impossible to know how many positions they're looking to fill. :/ Good luck with all the other companies.

Uramokoy
September 24th, 2009, 00:16
They must do it differently in the UK because I'm in the US and at the end of my phone screening they scheduled the live interview with me right then. But I was also asked a lot of questions that I wasn't expecting! Like why I wanted to teach in Japan, why I'm interested in ESL, what my expectations were of working as an ALT. But even though they said it was a "screening" I felt like it would probably be more like a small interview. (Also, they emailed me to schedule the phone call, which was really nice and convenient because I didn't want to have to nervously wait by the phone, lol.)

Anyway, sorry to hear you didn't get the interview, Zellous. But just keep looking and be persistent! Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.

Grimalkin
September 24th, 2009, 07:07
But I was also asked a lot of questions that I wasn't expecting! Like why I wanted to teach in Japan, why I'm interested in ESL, what my expectations were of working as an ALT.

Well, those are the questions I was talking about. You are applying for a job to teach English in a foreign country. OF COURSE, they will ask why you want to go there and teach English.

Uramokoy
September 24th, 2009, 07:13
I'm not saying I didn't expect to be asked those questions at all, just that I thought the phone screening was more about finalizing and scheduling the live interview.

Jojo
September 25th, 2009, 07:38
sorry to hear about not getting the interview... one thought that springs to mind is that you should always think of anything to do with a prospective employer as an interview - companies dont switch off until the day they tell you - they are continually making a judgment about you and the job. Also, while you dont have teaching experience, you can get relevant experiences through work or volunteering - they are looking for good communication and professionalism more than anything - skills you could demonstrate through work etc (i had customer service exp). good luck

Shankerbelle
October 6th, 2009, 07:23
Ok well i managed to bag an interview with interac for the end of the month, after half giving up on them, so now i guess its just a waiting game. Should i be worried about the recorded section of the interview (the mock class)? or take it as it comes?

Anyone else applying/planning to apply with interac as their main/back up choice to JET?

Tarquin
October 6th, 2009, 14:04
Are you applying to JET?
If you are, how comes you decided to apply for other companies at this time? In my opinion it's far too early in the process. I would wait until February / March time before writing off JET. It's good to have backup options and all.

Shankerbelle
October 6th, 2009, 15:29
My original mentality was jet or bust, looking around forums and viewing bloggs got me thinking maybe I couldn't tick all the boxes jet had so I started looking at alternatives. Interac had the most solid information and were relatively flexible in their intakes, so I got trigger happy and applied. I then decided to ask question about jet instead of read responses that didn't really fit my situation and have realised that I'm not completely ruled out as a jet applicant. I didn't think my unprepared/organised application on to interac would get me to the interview stage but luckily it has. Whose to say I would even get a place, but there is nothing wrong with options, if anything it has calmed down my stressing in regards to the jet apps due out the end of the week. Jet is still my number 1 choice but I've come to realise it won't be the end of the world if I'm not shortlisted :)

arislan
October 7th, 2009, 06:39
I was in pretty much the same boat, and if it's any reassurance, at least 2 years ago Interac UK were pretty flexible about it. I told them I was really sorry but I couldn't interview at that time - and then a few months later I was only a JET alternate, and emailed them to see if I could still get an interview.

Which they set up immediately, and didn't even require me to apply again :)

Or, just ask them if you could apply for a position that opens up in summer. Lots of people do break contract and leave mid-year, so it would definitely be possible.

Tarquin
October 7th, 2009, 09:03
Well if that's what you guys wanna do, like I said I think it's far too early to be applying to Interac bearing in mind the deadline for applications hasn't even passed yet.
I applied to Interac around March and I got an interview straight off within a week of applying. Their application process seems FAR easier in comparison to JET.

ChuChuRocket!
October 15th, 2009, 15:01
Try looking at gaijinpot.com for job listings. Look all over Japan, not just the big cities.

The new school year starts in March, so apply now for jobs starting then. Trying to get a job mid-year is tough.