PDA

View Full Version : Interac vs Amity

Timatouille
September 15th, 2009, 13:13
I was wondering if anyone had some input or thoughts about this match up?

According to their website, Interac seems to directly compete with JET schools while Amity appears to follow their own franchise model. Kind of like driver's ed way back in highschool when you had the choice of learning from either your highschool or paying for a private company. Reminds me of the current health care debate minus the messed up politics and egos.

What worries me most are the stories of Aeon being compared to a scientology cult. Since Amity is part of the Aeon yet supposedly ran and managed differently, I'm wondering if that could somehow spill over. I was hoping Interac was more down to earth and professional as their application process seems to be a lot more involved and detailed.

Obviously, there aren't going to be many more upgrades this year through JET, so it's time to start considering other options like these. Thanks!

Jojo
September 15th, 2009, 15:50
Interac is the same job as JET but with a lot less of the extra curricular stuff (plus or minus depending on your p.o.v) You are also paid a substaintial amount less (around 800 a month less) but the trade of is that you have a lot of paid days off while the JETs all have to chill at the B.O.E during holidays. Ekiwas like Amity are very different to J.E.T and Interac positions.. ..

Ini
September 15th, 2009, 18:41
some jets have to go to BOEs, some don't. but that's not what you asked....

Interac is very similar to JET, including the EverySituationIsDifferent mantra. You will be employed by a regional office, some of these office are well run, some are not. Personally I would go for an ALT position rather than a conversation school for the reason ALTs get to experience school life where at a private school you will just be teaching English.

theNogitsune
October 20th, 2009, 10:08
I have actually talked to someone from Amity and they had nothing but good things to say about them. They are one of my other choices if I do not get into JET. He does not work for them currently because he wanted to travel. He currently works for GABA (they let you make your own schedule) last time I emailed him. His blog is:

Gaijin Bash (http://gaijinbash.blogspot.com)

If you had any questions about working with Amity, he tells you about it in his blog and you could email him about anything extra about it.