PDA

View Full Version : A Welcome Newsletter

JenrYOKO
May 17th, 2004, 14:27
I'm co-editor of my prefecture's AJET newsletter, and we're planning a "Welcome Edition" for new JETs. The newsletter usually has articles by current JETs about Japanese culture, trips they've taken in Japan or abroad, and other stuff like that. We have a social AJET, not a political one, so the newsletter is really light-hearted.

Since most people on here seem to be incoming JET participants, I was wondering what sort of things you would like to read about in a newsletter like this. Any specific kinds of tips you would like to hear? Any other ideas?

Mere
May 17th, 2004, 14:41
Here's my suggestions:

~Basic shopping phrases in kana and romanji would be helpful (Ex: Do you have____ brand soap?). Maybe include some popular Japanese brands for common household items/ names for Japanese items such as the futon clips (used to hang futons to air out on balconies).

~A segment on when to dress more formally at work (what special occasions, ie: PTA meetings, Commencement Ceremonies, etc.)

~ Personal experiences of JETS working with students with disabilites.

~Where to get the best deals on: food, elctronics, music, etc.

Looking forward to your publication!

~Mere

astra
May 17th, 2004, 16:24
As part of a "Welcome Edition" I'd love to read:

* Suggestions for day/weekend trips
* Favourite restaurants, bars, shops etc
* Yummy &/or! interesting Japanese foods & snacks eg umeboshi

Perhaps also some general tips for people who haven't been to Japan before, on topics such as:

* The train system
* Cultural do's and don'ts
* Public baths!

Looking forward to reading the newsletter! And maybe even contributing in the future...

Bron
May 17th, 2004, 16:47
sounds helpful :)

*general info about train/bus transport
*places to learn martial arts/what's available in inaka...
* list of any JET/gaijin social groups around

mistress_pooky
May 17th, 2004, 23:51
I think a list of helpful websites would be nice, since you can't possibley fit everything into a newsletter (although I'm sure you could try!! :lol: ). I like the idea of including common/must-know japanese phrases. How about including some kanji that would be commonly seen (such as the kanji for "subway" or "warning")

yabighoor
May 18th, 2004, 00:04
I'd like to know about cheapo gyms in the area

Dave
May 18th, 2004, 01:06
It might be handy to know the average prices of day to day items (ie. milk, bread) and which supermarkets are the cheapest.

llumynia
May 18th, 2004, 06:14
maybe a list of the contact persons in each prefecture that we can call for AJET? So for your prefecture, maybe the emails of some helpful friendly people that would help a lost newcomer in a time of distress

also, i've just been reading up on the internet situation and how i might not be able to hook up for a few weeks, so maybe some info on how to do things/hook up at japanese internet cafes?

Dynamis
May 18th, 2004, 20:11
Basically, those little things that really ought to be said at orientation, but get forgotten.

cottamg
May 19th, 2004, 01:19
- what to do in an emergency (useful phrases, phone numbers, etc)

This is something I think would definately be helpful..

perhaps you could put a FAQ sheet at the back or something..

commonly asked questions or common problems encountered would be good.

JenrYOKO
May 21st, 2004, 11:57
Thanks for all the suggestions!

In case you want to read past newsletter articles, you can find them here:
http://www.geocities.com/onlineorigami/index.html

"Welcome Edition" articles won't be posted until mid-August. Of course, it's very Kanagawa-centered, but lots of prefectures have newsletters/sites like this, so get thee to google!