PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian JETs

dobharrison
May 17th, 2004, 18:38
Bloody hell! There are 19 people on this list who have listed 'vegetarian cooking and eating' as one of their interests. Are you all actually vegetarian? Introduce yourselves and answer my questions, dammit!

1. What exactly do you eat (e.g fish, eggs, dairy products, etc.)?
2. What are your placement requests?
3. How long have you been a weirdo ... I mean, vegetarian?
4. Do vegetables have feelings too?
5. How many meat eaters does it take to change a light bulb?

Thanks
XXX

dobharrison
May 17th, 2004, 18:41
1. I don't eat meat or fish but I like eggs and cheese! And I'll eat gelatine if I have to.
2. Kobe, Hiroshima and Fukuoka.
3. God, almost two years now.
4. No, what a stupid question!
5. Two, one to kill it and the other to make sure it's unsafe to eat.

lorenzokenzo
May 17th, 2004, 19:19
(1) No Fish or meat

(2) Nara

(3) a year or so

(4) see: http://www.ops.org/scrtec/india/jainism.html
and http://www.gardenseeker.com/do_plants_have_feelings_.htm

(5) 600 million, the same number of chickens slaughtered each year in the UK

dobharrison
May 17th, 2004, 20:42
http://www.skepdic.com/plants.html

Chiara
May 17th, 2004, 21:08
I'm a lapsed veggie. It was principle to start out with, but it's habitual now. I eat things that have gelatine/animal products as long as it's not flesh...can't quite bring myself to eat that yet! I probably will start eating fish when I'm across there.

dobharrison
May 17th, 2004, 22:28
You didn't finish the joke, Chiara. :)

Chiara
May 17th, 2004, 23:05
er, 3, if you slice them thinly enough? ;)

dobharrison
May 17th, 2004, 23:14
I like it! :lol:

Dave
May 18th, 2004, 01:12
I'm not a vegetarian by any means and I have no desire to become one.....but I did used to work in a vegetarian cafe - and it made me realise that vegetarian foon can be delicious too! Also, Vegetarians tip well.... :D
(it's the vegans you want to watch out for...I swear they're just too tight to buy butter!) :roll:

dobharrison
May 18th, 2004, 04:20
I'm not a vegetarian by any means

Then what the hell are you doing in my thread!?!?!?!?!?!

Grrrrr!!!!!!!

:twisted:

Dave
May 18th, 2004, 06:07
gee I'm sorry :(
and here's me thinking vegetarians were kind to animals.....

yabighoor
May 18th, 2004, 06:32
technically i'm a vegetarian, but only beabecause i'm a poor student that can't afford to buy meat. Did try Carol Vorderman detox diet once though which is vegan and is fecking miserable...note to everyone NEVER make your own hummous. Vile at the best of times...even worse when you make it yourself!!!

lorenzokenzo
May 18th, 2004, 07:04
i always have a houmus kebab on a night out with loads of chilli sauce...but i still throw away that plastic pickeled pepper they always manage to sneak in..

dobharrison
May 18th, 2004, 18:39
gee I'm sorry :(
and here's me thinking vegetarians were kind to animals.....

Just kidding, Dave! :D

I'll give you a big tip if I ever go to your cafe. Where is it that you worked?

Dave
May 18th, 2004, 20:54
Grassroots Cafe in Glasgow's St. George's Cross.
- I recommend the thai green curry! :D

dobharrison
May 18th, 2004, 20:59
Sounds yummy!

Do you deliver to Liverpool?

Dave
May 18th, 2004, 21:10
Well i wouldn't be able to guarentee it would still be hot...

NSboarderchic
May 22nd, 2004, 12:53
Right, so I became a vegetarian 4 years ago and was pretty anal about it at first. Then I started eating fish a year and a half ago, so I'm a pescatarian for a bit. Then, last week I tried chicken at all these bbq's I went to. It gets worse... I went to the soft opening of a nice new restaurant last night (free wine and food, good god I love being a concierge), and I had a few bites of my friend's lamb, and my other friend's beef.
The me of 4 years ago would kick my ass for saying this, but oh wow that beef was orgasmic. Granted, it was a really nice restaurant, but holy shit I was in heaven.
So I guess I need to change my profile, but I'm going to leave it to throw everyone off :)

eggplant11
May 24th, 2004, 15:59
I've been a vegetarian for a little over two years now. I don't eat fish, meat, or poultry...however I do love eggs and dairy. My placement is Kikuka Town...a rural area in Kumamoto-ken. I am not concerned about finding food to make for myself...but I am pretty nervous that I will offend/annoy people with my diet. I have been to Japan before and it was very tricky to eat out...and I always felt like a pain eating dinner in other people's homes.

dobharrison
May 24th, 2004, 18:06
I have the same concerns, Eggplant! Maybe if I act really stupid and cause offence in other ways, people won't be too offended if I refuse fish!

steelqueen
June 26th, 2004, 10:17
I listed my interest in vegetarian cooking because, hey, I'm interested. I'm also interested in Greek cooking, Japanese cooking, feast recipes from the Middle Ages... if it involves cooking, I'm interested. :D

I was a vegetarian for, oh, four-ish years? But I'm not now. And one of these days I'm going to have to start carrying a porkchop in my purse just so I can slap the scary militant vegan in my neighbourhood with it, like in that Bill Cosby movie where he kills vegetarians by throughing sausages on them. I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine that movie. I'm sorry, but she's very irritating.

Anyway. How many meat eaters does it take to change a lightbulb? None, because it's easier to sneak up on animals in the dark. No, seriously, if I'm an example, judging by last weekend: 4. Including people contacted online or by phone. Only the glass bit came out, you see, and then it started sparking at me...

Good luck, veggie JETs!! make sure you have lots of veggie recipe books or websites to look at, because you never know what ingrediants will be in season. Stay healthy.

lorenzokenzo
June 27th, 2004, 04:09
Just bought the follwing books on Amazon. I'll let u know if they are any good when they arrive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0895948052/ref%3Dpd%5Fbxgy%5Ftext%5F2%5Fcp/202-6207642-6381409

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1580080138/qid=1088276916/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/202-6207642-6381409

dobharrison
June 27th, 2004, 07:24
I just ordered that Japanese cooking book too! I hope it's useful.

Nikbot
June 27th, 2004, 18:23
note to everyone NEVER make your own hummous. Vile at the best of times...even worse when you make it yourself!!!

Rubbish !!! :x :x :x

I've made hommous before and my mother makes it all the time and it's great. I don't really see what you could do wrong ... not that I'm calling you an incompetent idiot or anything :wink:

I'm a vegetarian between meals and often during breakfast.