PDA

View Full Version : Why interac?

Shirokuma
October 18th, 2009, 22:43
Stupid question maybe but really? I do not understand the appeal.

Can someone explain to me why one would choose a dispatch company rather than a government sponsored position with total stability?

Ini
October 18th, 2009, 23:43
less hours, city placements, more control over where you go, shorter application period, multiple intakes a year....

ChuChuRocket!
October 19th, 2009, 10:27
All the people I know who have done interac did it because they wanted control over where they were placed. They'd rather live where they wanted to than go with JET.

Shirokuma
October 20th, 2009, 15:18
Ok, fair enough.

I just could not believe that people would actually rather apply to a dispatch company versus an Eikaiwa.

Since Interac is not a sponsor of this site I would have thought that there would be more information regarding their business here.

I guess the reasons mentioned are reasonable, the salary of a JET though will always beat the interac.

ChuChuRocket!
October 20th, 2009, 15:33
Well an Eikaiwa probably has you working nights and weekends, which many people don't like. Some people would rather work in public schools with young people as opposed to selling text books and services to adults.

Shirokuma
October 20th, 2009, 15:35
I can certainly understand both of those points. I just have not ever heard of anyone having a good experience with interac or the other dispatch companies. And all my experiences with interac have shown them to be less than professional.

Does Interac have a better image outside of Japan?

Tarquin
October 20th, 2009, 16:19
Eikaiwa and ALTs are completely different jobs, saying that you can't see why people would apply for Interac over an Eikaiwa is like comparing apples and oranges.
Eikaiwa you work weeknights / weekends and basically are a glorified textbook salesman, Interac you're an ALT in a school. Sure it's not as good a job as JET is but it has advantages like getting in easier and having more control over where you go. People might not *choose* to apply for interac straight off rather than JET for most reasons, but it's a reasonable backup plan.

Grimalkin
October 20th, 2009, 18:01
Of course Interac isnt the best when you compare to a government program like JET, but it isn't that bad. In my area I rarely have any contact with the company other than receiving my weekly schedule and the meetings that occur 3-4 times a year. So its pretty much the same thing that JET is. It does have some perks compared to JET but I'm sure you can easily find a comparison between the 2.

Its a hell of a lot better than eikaiwa schedules and working in schools is great fun for me. I guess it just depends on what you want to do when you come to Japan. And like BritishChris said, its often a back up for JET or a choice for the impatient.

Jojo
October 20th, 2009, 21:34
Of course Interac isnt the best when you compare to a government program like JET, but it isn't that bad. In my area I rarely have any contact with the company other than receiving my weekly schedule and the meetings that occur 3-4 times a year. So its pretty much the same thing that JET is. It does have some perks compared to JET but I'm sure you can easily find a comparison between the 2.

Its a hell of a lot better than eikaiwa schedules and working in schools is great fun for me. I guess it just depends on what you want to do when you come to Japan. And like BritishChris said, its often a back up for JET or a choice for the impatient.
Yeah i would have to agree with Grimalkin - so far i havnt had any problems - of course not everything is perfect but i think its not a bad option

ScienceDivison
October 21st, 2009, 12:02
Question, those who are currently on Interac, where are you stationed? (city, urban etc..)?

Jojo
October 21st, 2009, 16:14
semi rural (my choice)

Grimalkin
October 21st, 2009, 21:24
Look at my trophies for your answer. That being said I am very happy I am where I am, but its nice there is the option to move pretty much anywhere I want if there are openings.