PDA

View Full Version : Age of JET applicants - any difference?

bigredgoofball
December 1st, 2004, 04:30
Do you think age makes any difference in the application process? What's the age of the oldest JET you know? I know the website says they accept anyone under 40, but is this actually the case? I'm pushing 30 myself, and am wondering if this is going to work against me in the application process, or perhaps in placement.

Shotokai
December 1st, 2004, 06:27
I know one or two jets in their 30's one of whom is possibly the eldest she can be.

David
December 1st, 2004, 08:25
I have friends in the mid-late 30's doing this job, it matters bog all how old you are. I am not a sprin g chicken myself.

(as long as your under 40 naturellement)

Cornelius
December 1st, 2004, 08:32
*Cue Logan's Run*

BigRed, your poll looks a bit wonky. You repeat the last age of each category as the first age of the next category.

Oh, I'm 30, btw.

bigredgoofball
December 1st, 2004, 08:38
Woops! Yeah, just noticed that... sorry. I'm not sure how to edit the poll... eh. :roll:

Good to know I'm not the only old fogey who's tried to make it over.... and seems that the chances are as good for us oldsters as for you young whippersnappers right out of Uni.

dobharrison
December 1st, 2004, 09:30
You're only as old as you feel, guys! I alternate between 3 and 97 on a fairly regular basis, which really plays havoc with my arthritis and gout.

As an aside, there's a designer clothing shop here called Gout. I'm kind of afraid to go in...

nicklad
December 1st, 2004, 14:01
there is a clothes shop here called Pony.

dobharrison
December 1st, 2004, 14:17
there is a clothes shop here called Pony.

Stop horsing around!

EDIT: We have a hairdressers called Plague, too.

solacegirl
December 1st, 2004, 14:27
You're only as old as you feel, guys! I alternate between 3 and 97 on a fairly regular basis, which really plays havoc with my arthritis and gout.

As an aside, there's a designer clothing shop here called Gout. I'm kind of afraid to go in...

:lol: :lol: Ahhhaha that tickled me!!

IowaJET
December 1st, 2004, 15:27
Plenty of Jets is Aichi are 28 or 29. I couldn't tell until they told me.

tash_bert
December 1st, 2004, 17:13
We have a few JETs in their late 30's
At the opposite end of the scale, one new JET celebrated their 21st in Japan!
Age ain't nothin' but a number.

MrSnrub
December 4th, 2004, 14:10
Good to know I'm not the only old fogey who's tried to make it over.... and seems that the chances are as good for us oldsters as for you young whippersnappers right out of Uni.You haven't made it to the ranks of Old Fogey yet (JET-wise), so don't be applying for your pension book just yet. From an almost 38 year old...who is not the oldest JET in the prefecture either.

Also to join the off-topic meanderings, I saw a hair salon that was under contruction called "Freaks" :?:

Logan5
December 10th, 2004, 15:19
*Cue Logan's Run*

Ahh...My favorite Sci-fi film, hence my moniker. Alas, I would have sacrificed myself to the fiery ritual of carousel long ago, unless I went in search of Sanctuary.

Anyway, at 35, I thought I was the oldest JET in shimane, but I met a 3rd year ALT at the mid-year seminar in November who is 36 and he has the proud title of Oldest JET in Shimane. We do have one older JET, who is near 40 I think, but she did the program in her twenties and then re-applied last year and is back after 10 years away, so I don't count her.

Your age has no bearing on your acceptibility and many would say it was an advantage. In the workplace I think it does help on some levels, but on the socail scene it can be a real killer.

Good luck and don't worry about your age.

-Jason

Hannah
December 19th, 2004, 12:51
Age makes no difference to getting on JET. There are plenty of older and married JETs in Nara (It seems to be the place if you are old, married or gay! - if you are all 3, you are sorted for Nara ken!!) :lol:

I fit into to 'old' category as I am 28 and a half! OK, so not that old, I hope but it is really hard to guess people's ages out here. Everyone thinks I have just graduated, and are really suprised when they find out how old I am! I guess that is a compliment...?!

I think they tend to place the younger jets in the city close to other jets or near to an older more experienced jet for support. Older, male American's (who can obviously look after themselves?!! :? ) or married jets get placed further out there. This is a general rule, and obviously there are exceptions. This is just my observation.