PDA

View Full Version : American buildings that don't exist in Japan

DaXiongMao
November 9th, 2009, 11:59
I have been asked by some elementary teachers to provide examples of American buildings that aren't in Japan. I really am drawing a blank for some reason, so if you have any examples I would really appreciate it! The only idea I have so far is the neighborhood swimming pool I have back home. Thanks!

word
November 9th, 2009, 12:13
Are they talking about distinct American architecture, like the Chrysler Building, for example, or do they want generic things?

You can do things like styles of housing from different eras, such as plantation-style mansions, Victorian-styled homes, farm homes, etc., or you could do regional houses, like adobe homes or red brick homes and stuff. You know, things that we wouldn't think twice about, but are just not found here.

bizarrojosh
November 9th, 2009, 12:18
Doesn't the name American Building mean that it is not in Japan but in America? Therefore all American buildings don't exist in Japan.

Empire state building,
Twin Towers (not here of course, but icons none the less)
Golden Gate bridge
Seattle needle thing
the giant arch in St Louis
The washington memorial
Lincoln memorial
capitol hill

DaXiongMao
November 9th, 2009, 12:50
Thanks for the help! I should probably be more specific in what I want: more general types of buildings. So far, my list includes:

deli
drive thru pharmacy
Sonic Drive Thru (where you eat in your car)
pizzaria
animal shelter

WesleyCrusher
November 9th, 2009, 13:15
They have animal shelters here...

How about

gas station convenience store
drive in movie theater
strip mall (they prob have those here too actually)

word
November 9th, 2009, 13:26
Recycling centers, and how people get PAID for old aluminum cans and shit, instead of the other way around.

AliDimayev
November 9th, 2009, 13:27
strip mall (they prob have those here too actually)

They do! There is one pretty close to me. I only went there once, but I felt like I was back in America, with the L-shaped strip mall and big parking lot.

JackAttack
November 9th, 2009, 14:01
Does Japan have interstate rest-stops? Roller skating rinks? I know there are malls, but I haven't seen American style with a few department stores on different sides of the mall.

AliDimayev
November 9th, 2009, 14:48
They do have rest stops in Japan. I think they call them サービス or something like that.