PDA

View Full Version : sitting in and sitting on

kawyn
November 13th, 2009, 09:41
one of my jtes just asked me why the text talked about sitting IN priority seats when you are technically sitting ON the seat

how do i answer him?

kamukamuume
November 13th, 2009, 10:09
one of my jtes just asked me why the text talked about sitting IN priority seats when you are technically sitting ON the seat

how do i answer him?

"we ask that all passengers remain in their seats until the vehicle comes to a complete stop." "on your seats" would sound like they're all standing on their seats.

so maybe that's part of it? what is "you" here? you as a physical entity aren't on the seat--your rear end is, but you're above the seat, in front of the seat, and under the seat, depending on the frame of reference.

I think the main thing, though, is that it's a set phrase. we started saying it for whatever reason--perhaps the typical seat at one point was very cushy, had big arms, and basically sitting in it was being contained within it--and now any other preposition sounds weird.

word
November 14th, 2009, 01:59
That's how I explained it when I was asked about this--I stood on the chair and said "I'm on the chair," then sat in it and explained, "I'm in the chair." I just explained that it was a weird quirky thing about English...

kawyn
November 19th, 2009, 13:46
thanks for the replies guys! :)