PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving lesson?

kamukamuume
November 26th, 2009, 13:51
I'd like some ideas for a Thanksgiving lesson if you guys wouldn't mind! this is for a 3rd year JHS class at a private school, meaning most of the genki has been sucked out of their faces. they'd probably go along with whatever I did, but something suitable for SHS students might be more along the lines of something they'd benefit from.

well, what do you guys think? any good experiences?

JackAttack
November 26th, 2009, 18:26
I found a skit online about Thanksgiving dinner and had my kids act it out. I also found an ABC story about the first Thanksgiving. You could almost do anything with it, I would think... Read it as a class and make questions or something. My class is in a computer room and so I had them make a Powerpoint presentation for it. (They really like looking for photos online...)

vertigo_stick
November 27th, 2009, 09:46
I second telling them a story/showing pictures about the 'first thanksgiving'. The kids love to see pictures so I think that is a must. Since they are 3rd year JHS students you can probably communicate it fully in English with only some vocabulary glossing. Reading comprehension practice (if you pass out a sheet with the story) or Listening comp (if you just explain, and give them a little quiz or question sheet)

I told my kids at Elementary about Thanksgiving last year with some pictures and they all seemed to enjoy it well enough. In that case, though, I prepared a Japanese equivalent of what I would say for the teacher to refer to when the children just weren't getting it.