PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Lesson

Waldroon
December 8th, 2009, 09:50
It's that time of year.

I've already done Christmas lessons for JHS, but now I have to do some for E.S.

I did one already a few weeks back as part of a demonstration lesson for ES JTEs with one of my JHS JTEs. But, now my other ESs want me to do the same lesson....and I won't have my JHS JTE there to help. This is a bit of a problem since most of the ES JTEs have very low level English.

So now I have to figure out a 20 minute and 40 minute Christmas lesson plan for these ESs to do over the next few weeks.

Any thoughts? Any success stories or warnings on things to avoid? I have only low-level Japanese, so doing the lesson in a mix of Japanese & English probably isn't going to happen.

WesleyCrusher
December 8th, 2009, 11:18
How "educational" do these need to be? You could do arts and crafts of some kind.

edit: By "arts and crafts" I mean making a huge paper link chain to decorate the classroom, making Christmas cards, cutting out snowflakes, etc.

Waldroon
December 8th, 2009, 11:42
Yea I thought about that. I wasn't given any guidelines regarding how educational it needed to be, but some degree of learning would probably be nice.

But, if I get stuck for time I'll probably consider something like making Christmas cards, etc.

WesleyCrusher
December 8th, 2009, 11:42
You can write out the lyrics to christmas songs in katakana and sing. But can they read katakana yet?

AliDimayev
December 8th, 2009, 11:53
Maybe have pictures and stuff of various Christmas stuff (reindeer, santa, trees, snow, snowman, etc...) then do some sort of game (such as bingo) and then, while listening to xmas music, they can make Christmas cards including the vocabulary and other stuff they'll just have learned.

kamukamuume
December 8th, 2009, 12:36
for christmas cards, what kind of stuff are you guys thinking of using as the card? I think giving it to teachers might be kind of a mess (and I have like 8 classes I need to do a Christmas lesson for, so I'm not interested), but having them give it to a friend or family member right be nice.

that, along with a crossword and something else small might be good. I'd like to do music too, but I've done fill in the blank lyrics sheets so many times I don't know what else I can do with it.

AliDimayev
December 8th, 2009, 12:41
Take a song, print out the lyrics and cut them into pieces, by lines or stanzas or whatever and then have the students put them in the right order as they listen to the song.

stufflikethat
December 8th, 2009, 13:15
What grade level for elementary school?

You can take about 10 minutes to teach what Christmas is. The more visuals you have, the better. Power Point works if the school will let you use a computer for the lesson. Otherwise, just print out pictures from the internet. If the kids are 5th or 6th grade, you can ask the kids, "what's this?" and have them guess. Have things like Christmas trees, Santa, reindeer, stockings, snowmen, candy canes, Christmas cookies, etc. Some of the things, like Santa, the kids will recognize and will need little explanation. Other things candy canes will need to be explained. Use lots of gestures or more pictures if you have them. If they let you use Power Point, you can probably include some video too. Try to explain all the ways Christmas is different in your country. For example, my students last year thought it was hilarious that you can meet Santa at shopping malls. They also thought it was strange that we don't eat Christmas cake.

You can have them sing a song too. Most of the kids already know "Jingle Bells". If they don't, it's an easy one to teach them.

Like others have suggested, you can have the rest of the lesson be an activity. You can have them make Christmas cards. You could also have them write letters to Santa. If they're 5th or 6th graders, they should know how to say, "I want...". For younger kids, they could draw pictures of what they want for Christmas.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck with the lesson!

FiercestCalm
December 8th, 2009, 13:21
Maybe have pictures and stuff of various Christmas stuff (reindeer, santa, trees, snow, snowman, etc...) then do some sort of game (such as bingo) and then, while listening to xmas music, they can make Christmas cards including the vocabulary and other stuff they'll just have learned.

This is basically what I'm doing with my first and second grade classes. Christmas vocab and explanation, Christmas Bingo, Christmas cards (just print-outs that they fold over and color). They get to decide who to give the card to.

Also I play Christmas music while they make the card.

In 5th grade I'm doing the same, except no bingo and a more complicated (multi-color 'pop out') card.

Waldroon
December 8th, 2009, 15:04
This will be for 3rd/4th (20 min) and 5th/6th (40 min). The 3rd/4th class probably is no problem, between powerpoint and some simple activities I should be able to fill that....but 40 minutes could be a bit of a stretch. Good ideas so far, thanks for bringing them up.

Wanderlust King
December 8th, 2009, 15:43
I'm not sure if you have a Christmas tree at your school, but for my ES, I'll be making a huge green cardboard paper one to stick up on one of the hallway walls. During class I'm going to give them 10-15 minutes to make paper ornaments to hang onto it.

Also, MAYBE let them watch the Grinch.. I haven't decided yet.

Waldroon
December 8th, 2009, 17:10
Anyone got any idea where I can find a copy of Jingle Bells to play? I have the lyrics and the katakana English, just need a copy of the song to play for them.

orchidee
December 8th, 2009, 22:08
waldroon~ I dont know where you can get jingle bells other than itunes (sorry!) But I could share what I did in case anyone else is still needing something for their lesson: I gave a brief introducion to Christmas vocabulary and then cut out a large green paper tree. "Let's decorate the Tree!" was the core idea.

We made brown construction paper gingerbread man ornaments to decorate the tree. As they worked I played Feliz Navidad and Jingle Bells, while chatting with them about the lyrics and asking them what they wanted for christmas. After tracing and cutting out their gingerbread men, they "decorated" their cookies with posca poster paint markers and showed me where to glue their cookie to the tree by using simple english vocab, "left, right, up, down, there!". I had them write their name in English/romaji on one side of their gingerbread man. For the younger grades, I wrote it out on slips of paper for them to copy as best as they could on the backs of their gingerbread men. This filled roughly 15-20 minutes of our time.

btw, I used this with 1,2,3 nensei. With 4, 5, 6 nensei, I will first read a simplified/heavily illustrated version of the gingerbread man and then let them make the cookies and decorate the tree.

Hope this helps too! :)

Miss_igirisu
December 10th, 2009, 13:18
A good link Christmas Theme Unit - Worksheets and Printables (http://www.abcteach.com/directory/seasonalholidays/christmas/)

violetessence
December 11th, 2009, 12:04
This is my easy/"fun" plan for high school.

1. Smalltalk about Christmas with JTE. Check students' understanding of our dialogue.

2. Show X-mas video clips.

3. Teach X-mas vocabulary.

4. "Snowball Fight" game. Students are in 2 teams. They have papers with pictures on them (the pictures are of the vocabulary from the last part) crumpled into balls. They throw snowballs at each other for a couple minutes, until I yell "stop." The team with the most snowballs left on their side loses. Winning students get candy. Losing students have to unfold a snowball and identify the picture in English to get a candy.

5. X-mas worksheet. E.g. "Santa rides this. What is it?"